What's new

Vegan Organics with Professor Matt Rize

Status
Not open for further replies.

DARC MIND

Veteran
as for yarrow

durring the 1st few days of fermenting, smells potently wonderfull and im sure has some pest deterrent propeties. even when fully fermented, a nice yarrow flower scent still lingers and simialr2 fermented nettle, once misted on plants with pest present;causes them to jump, fall to the floor or visably give up ther position by moving. i find the scent seems to send them to the hills and or wigs them out for a sec.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
id still like to see how restricting what you put in the soil prevents anaerobic conditions and the bacteria that breed in them compared to those with traditional composting vs those that use ACT including beneficial bacterium counts on both sides

also lets take a look at the spectrum of mycorrhiza in each sample also

How you prepare your food for your plant is another way to consideration pathogen and bacterial management

growing the best meds goes past primary metabolites and also considers the secondary metabolites and the production of secondary metabolites are effected by every component of the soil web. The empirical evidence that points to organics being superior to conventional farming methods for the production of secondary metabolites is due to the soil diversity of organic soil that has a healthy soil food web contained therein.

vegan soil does not seem to be a representative of a natural array of soil microbiology and thus could limit some of the microbiological diversity that effects secondary metabolite production.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I feel this whole growing in an organic recycled soil that is living inside plastic pots being cycled every 3 months is quite unique. How does a guy keep a mychorrizal habitat intact? How does he manage the balance of the various organisms that feed and reproduce/die?
It's a strange thing to create a tiny little world then wipe it out and start all over again every 3 months....then again, is it completely wiped out with each re-mix?
I'm just assuming my little world wants what it does when it does,and I'm only acting on experience in working with it in a symbiotic relationship...and that's about it.

NUG-JUG

It's a strange thing to create a tiny little world then wipe it out and start all over again every 3 months....then again, is it completely wiped out with each re-mix?

i hope not although re-mixing used soil probably shreds fungi.maybe putting soil in pots as if with a plant, then cooking it for awhile would be best?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah yeah lots of other benefits to lavender but what I was trying to say is with something like the pesticide properties I'd bet money from the essential oils of which lavender has a high concentration. For sure the organic matter rocks but IMO the insecticide properties come from the oils.

yea for sure no ones doubting you, but it can have more than just pest control properties. i actually used it at first as a foliar spray just for the hell of it for some time before using it on cannabis, killing mites was just sort of a hunch i had.

ps - Spanish lavender = lame

Matt Rize

Sorry if everyone upset you for trying to help, but this forum is dominated by true veganics and the way has already been paved. Thats why Jay is a mod on this side. He's taught many of us to use what natures given us instead of companies forcing upon us.

So happy that I am not alone in my attempts to get the shit out of my system. And it is all good, that one guy can hate, I still get paid more than him for flowers... lol :)

Big up jay, i'll have to check out his plant based threads. One of the mods on rollitup loves plant based organics too, and no one there knew about this poop-free way of growing indoor organics. Glad he beat me to it.

I just want to point out that my system of growing is possible for urbanites, city dwellers, even 33rd floor apartments. People without a yard or a compost pile. Some of us just want to buy soluble ready to feed organics. Some of us work full time jobs and have families, and want to devote any time to them. Organics can be as simple or complex as one chooses.

Matt Rize

Professor, what's another name pirate treasure?

Professor, what's another name pirate treasure?

You never did answer what your PhD is in?

Ahh, the semantic jerks. I am a PROFESSOR OF CANNABIS, like many of you. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/professor says that a professor can be: one that professes, avows, or declares.
and: one that teaches or professes special knowledge of an art, sport, or occupation requiring skill.

If you want to see me in action come take my class, I can get you in as an audit, contact me. I will be teaching/instructing/professing/guest lecturing an outdoor class and a hash making class this Sunday. We can fight after if you think I'm a jerk and want to do something.

If you want to know about my Cannabis credentials, contact me and I will tell you where I have lectured, where I will be lecturing, my educational background, and where to look for my published writings. This is not an ad, if anything I'm effing up my niche, and I would like to stick to PLANT BASED NUTRITION and positive posts.

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
thats gonna get you in trouble here. Self-proclaiming yourself a Professor and trying to spread your results through that assumption is what gets to people. The one guy you pissed off is actually a super smart guy and does a lot of research/work to gain an accomplished title. I can understand when people self-proclaim and you work real hard. We have PhD's, scientists and just overall some very educated people here.

I think your a Cannabis teacher, not professor but i'll quit the semantics.

Anyways on with discussion

From your link: "Broken down plants=good, rocks=okay in small amounts, animal origin=okay in very small amounts, chemical=no way!"

So... animal origin=okay in small amount means...using animal product, right?

Is this you?
Seems contradictory... you gotta have your story buttoned up here buddy! Look at that stuff those guys are using... are you *sure* that stuff is fit for "VEGAN" consumption? Even food grade for that matter?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSlaGXiZ5DQ

Matt Rize

I am me, not them.

I am me, not them.

From your link: "Broken down plants=good, rocks=okay in small amounts, animal origin=okay in very small amounts, chemical=no way!"

Is this you?

That is not me in the movie trailer. I run my own system, but we do work on ideas, just like a thread but in REAL LIFE.

I say using a little animal product is okay because I am no purist, and even when I tried vegan life I ate honey (and my girlfriend lol, but she was vegan). The BTPlus has some animal organics, and I've cut out every other animal source in the vegan system that Kushman runs including the animal organics in my teas. My point is that using massive amounts of poop is not needed and there may be a better way to do organics.

Matt Rize

Earth Worm Castings.

Earth Worm Castings.

So do you consider EWC as 'animal poop' or something else?

I briefly covered EWC in the opening post. While Phylum Annelida (worms) is technically part of the Animal Kingdom, they are a whole different superphylum than the birds and bats. So I will argue that Phylum Chordata is what I mean by animal poop. Again, my semantics are lacking. I should call this "plant-based organic plant nutrition using teas, insects, annelids, and store bought nutrients" but 'vegan organics' is quicker.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
as for yarrow

durring the 1st few days of fermenting, smells potently wonderfull and im sure has some pest deterrent propeties. even when fully fermented, a nice yarrow flower scent still lingers and simialr2 fermented nettle, once misted on plants with pest present;causes them to jump, fall to the floor or visably give up ther position by moving. i find the scent seems to send them to the hills and or wigs them out for a sec.
DARC MIND

Thanks for the photos - I can take yarrow off of my 'try to find' list. That plant grows everywhere in Northwest Oregon. Literally.

On US Highway 26 heading up towards Mt. Hood just west of Sandy is a fallow field that is covered with that plant.

Thanks a million!

CC

Matt Rize

Steep Hill Lab has my Bubble and Flowers

Steep Hill Lab has my Bubble and Flowers

but really a microscope or paid soil samples will give you an idea of bacterial make up; which if your saying health is of supreme importance should be included to back up your claims, preferably with side by side trials

Lab results will be posted AS SOON AS I KNOW.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hmm, so not an actual Professor. i would drop that affectation if i were you - makes you look like you are fraudulently using the 'argument from authority' technique

formally known as argumentum ad verecundium, where an participant argues that a belief is correct because the person making the argument is an authority.

as for worm castings vs bat guano - worms will eat pretty much anything - including meat

bats will eat a specific known diet - usually fruit or insects, and bat guano is actually also eaten by beetles and is therefore insect castings.

so really bat guano is more potentially much more reliably 'vegan' than EWC.

Matt - this organics forum has some of the most advanced knowledge of any knowledge base on the subject i have encountered anywhere and i am a Professional Organic gardener with many books on the subject. your fancy name 'veganics' may get you a few more quid for your weed from some gullible cali folk but you will need more substance to convince folks here that what you are doing is anything new or different.

VG

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I'm not a big fan of perlite for a few reasons, but I always seems to use a little.

First is that it is not natural.
"Perlite is not a trade name but a generic term for naturally occurring siliceous rock. The distinguishing feature which sets perlite apart from other volcanic glasses is that when heated to a suitable point in its softening range, it expands from four to twenty times its original volume.

This expansion is due to the presence of two to six percent combined water in the crude perlite rock. When quickly heated to above 1600°F (871°C), the crude rock pops in a manner similar to popcorn as the combined water vaporizes and creates countless tiny bubbles which accounts for the light weight"
[cite]
You know you've been trimming and seen a piece of perlite on a bud once and a while. i don't like that. there could be perlite inside the flowers.
Not really - I usually don't roll my buds in soil but then again I'm not involved in 'vegan organics' or whatever the name of the process is being called right now.

BTW - what does a cannabis professor make a year?

CC

N

ngen

So i lay low for awhile and this is what i come back too...
matt you should stick around and check out some of the ideas around here, a professor should be the most passionate student of all, i think you'd like them.

this forum taught me vegan organics... and in my eyes it doesnt look like that. Vegan organics (i know i said this for awhile, but i really hate the ring of it now) should be about locally sourcing your materials, from rock dusts, meals, and aeration to soil (as some mentioned pumice for the NWers). It should emphasis building bio mass and nurturing a healthy food web within the soil and if applicable the surrounding environment.

techniques like: terra preta, homemade teas, FPE's, lacto b, fungi feeds, intercropping, composting, and most importantly experimentation are what should constitute this grow paradigm.

i wonder how this post (and the one of the nugget, damn) got so little feedback.

still no talk of actual vegan organics.....

these threads will help

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=177463

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=128172&highlight=plants

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=94673&highlight=fermented+plant+extracts

get this system dialed in and it will grow the best pot around guaranteed!

oh, and ICers :thank you:. peace

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
pro·fes·sor
   /prəˈfɛsər/ Show Spelled[pruh-fes-er] Show IPA
–noun
a teacher of the highest academic rank in a college or university, who has been awarded the title Professor in a particular branch of learning; a full professor: a professor of spanish literature.
any teacher who has the rank of professor, associate professor, or assistant professor.
a teacher.
an instructor in some art or skilled sport: a professor of singing; a professor of boxing.
a person who professes his or her sentiments, beliefs, etc

.....so which one is it Matt?........

....if it is number 5. then we can all call ourselves a Professor I suppose?....

.....If it is number 1. then we would all like to know in what college or university you acquired this rank....

..... if number 2. or 3. then anyone who teaches others could be called a Professor....

...There are some people that are self proclaimed Princes, Lords, King's or even Professors......perhaps you are one of them?

.....Besides arguing about the semantics of what you profess to be (no pun intended lol )........welcome to ICM, it looks like you may have something to offer that is not already here, time and your posts will tell.....

Status
Not open for further replies.