What's new

Why is medical marijuana so expensive?

OU812

why should growers have to do this?

i've been unemployed due to illness and market conditions. i haven't had a vacation in three years. i do not have health insurance.

i could use a flat screen TV (i'm sure most of you have one. you can all chip in for one for me), health fund, a nice vacation.

i bet if each one of you donated some of your hard earned cash you would feel better about yourselves.

thanks and Happy Holidays!!!!

Wow-That was below the belt.

You totally lost the meaning of my post, but that's OK, I can't expect everyone to get it now, can I.

So, let me explain. There are large scale growers out there who could afford to do this if they wanted to.

There ARE people out there too ill to grow their own.

It's an IDEA for God's sake.

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
OK-I have an idea. Let's see how many growers roll with this:

Find a dispensary-or a hospice center, etc. that has folks who are IN NEED of good medicine. Not a dispensary that commands outrageous donations, but a place that truly offers compassion to those who need it most by giving deep discounts, or if needed, free meds. Or, find someone who is truly ill...and you know is in need.

When you go to harvest, set aside ONE plant. Take the meds from that ONE plant and donate it.

If even half of those who grow did this with just a single plant, imagine all of the folks who are too sick to grow-who could be helped?

After you've done this, post your experience...
I can almost guarantee it'll make you feel good, because you've truly done something awesome and selfless, to help your fellow man...

:prettyplease:

I kinda get an idea you are one who has never had much bud around. Your not the one that provives bud for parties, for friends, - or even just for fun. You would rather someone else did the providing.

I suggest you go buy a quarter pound and acqoint yourself with the free handed thinking you feel other should do. THEN come back and tell us all how much fun it was - how many free-loaders showerd up and - how long they stayed after the bud was gone.

I have some patients that get free and low cost meds - so when you assume somebody isn't doing thier fair share because you feel shorted - step up and show the rest of them with your good deeeds not a sales pitch.

I'm fucking pissed because some people share your point of view and even feel the need to demand, and when offered "some" demand the choicest. Are they gratful enough to ask for maybe a little of the good and some of the other - fuck that.
And do they ever say Thank You?
HELL FUCKING NO.

Yeah - I can tell ya about jerk-wad SOB's that think bud is a right. I call them Gimmes Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,

I've found the ones that deserve - usually don't ask, and interestingly,, always say thank you.

Last edited:

OU812

I kinda get an idea you are one who has never had much bud around. Your not the one that provives bud for parties, for friends, - or even just for fun. You would rather someone else did the providing.

I suggest you go buy a quarter pound and acqoint yourself with the free handed thinking you feel other should do. THEN come back and tell us all how much fun it was - how many free-loaders showerd up and - how long they stayed after the bud was gone.

I have some patients that get free and low cost meds - so when you assume somebody isn't doing thier fair share because you feel shorted - step up and show the rest of them with your good deeeds not a sales pitch.

I'm fucking pissed because some people share your point of view and even feel the need to demand, and when offered "some" demand the choicest. Are they gratful enough to ask for maybe a little of the good and some of the other - fuck that.
And do they ever say Thank You?
HELL FUCKING NO.

Yeah - I can tell ya about jerk-wad SOB's that think bud is a right. I call them Gimmes Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,Gimme,gimme,

I've found the ones that deserve - usually don't ask, and interestingly,, always say thank you.

WOW!
Dude, I'm growing my own, and for two other people who are sick.

I don't need anything...and I am not asking for anything for myself!!

This has nothing to do with me, but for others who are seriously ill and do not have the money to deal with over-priced dispensaries.

I grew up in NorCal, I've been around/had PLENTY of bud in my time...geezus.

A lot of seriously ill/permanently disabled/terminally ill patients have no money, and go without, period.

My point has been entirely missed here. I'm not talking about free-loading moochers, I'm talking about seriously sick human beings here.

I give up.

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
WOW!
Dude, I'm growing my own, and for two other people who are sick.

I don't need anything...and I am not asking for anything for myself!!

This has nothing to do with me, but for others who are seriously ill and do not have the money to deal with over-priced dispensaries.

I grew up in NorCal, I've been around/had PLENTY of bud in my time...geezus.

A lot of seriously ill/permanently disabled/terminally ill patients have no money, and go without, period.

My point has been entirely missed here. I'm not talking about free-loading moochers, I'm talking about seriously sick human beings here.

I give up.

Before you give up,,, can ya send me some bud?
Maybe just a plant?

OR TWO!
ROTFLMAO!

You should be commended (and probably have your head examined) for your generosity, however when you start suggesting what others should be doing - well - - then I have to step up.

As to dispensary owners "giving" - from my experience, the mental mindset of dispensary operators is, buy low and sell high. (Not the good kind of high)

Local hospices are better outlets for medical meds.
And they say thanks.

Last edited:

Owl Mirror

Veteran
-- The Market dictates the Price--

The market you speak of is driven by a bunch of dishonest people with paper cuts who got a medical rec just so they could buy marijuana at a dispensary.

It's the rec user who is ruining the medical marijuana programs around the country, not patients wanting anything for free.

OU812

Before you give up,,, can ya send me some bud?
Maybe just a plant?

OR TWO!
ROTFLMAO!

You should be commended (and probably have your head examined) for your generosity, however when you start suggesting what others should be doing - well - - then I have to step up.

As to dispensary owners "giving" - from my experience, the mental mindset of dispensary operators is, buy low and sell high. (Not the good kind of high)

Local hospices are better outlets for medical meds.
And they say thanks.

Well-my experience has been the same. I have had A LOT of bad experiences with dispensaries. that's why I suggested a dispensary like the one I go to. The place is awesome. They have been thanked over and over again by me and many others-and in return?

I will be giving some of what I am growing back to them-to give to other patients who cannot grow due to illness. (patients must submit proof of permanent disability or documentation from primary doc of terminal illness). They verify it all.

And, their normal prices start at $40-$45.

I find it disturbing to see someone who is sick-paying anywhere from $45.00 to $70.00 an 1/8th-who is living on a few hundred bucks a month and is too ill to tend to themselves, let alone a garden.

What would you tell someone like that? Get off your sick ass and get growing? I can't, I won't, and if I can help, I will.

The free 1/8 per week they've given to me has gotten me through some hellish times-to say the least. Terminal patients get a care basket every week with several different strains-very generous.

So, I feel it only proper to give back-and I've seen other patients do the same. A few months ago, I saw a another patient walk in, grinning from ear to ear. When he got in the back he donated nearly 1/4 lb of some dank sativa. This place does not ask patients to do this, but I suspect he was in the same boat I was-and was finally in a position to "pay it forward."

They've helped me along with meds as I learn how to become self-sufficient in growing my own, and now? I can help others people who are ill or dying, and that's a damned good feeling. Even if it isn't a lot, it still helps. Keeps the train on the tracks.

Relieving the suffering of another human being is an incredibly powerful thing, and don't think for a minute that those in need aren't thankful. They are!

Maybe I should have my head examined, but I do try to do my best-in spite of my illness to help others less fortunate than I am. It helps me to feel like I am contributing something to others in need-just as people do when volunteering time, money, etc. on causes they believe in. One thing I do believe is that people should have relief from pain-because it's something that can be lessened or even eliminated.

That's pretty damned powerful.

I only posted what I did as an idea. I'm not telling anyone to do anything. I merely suggested something that could make a profound difference in the lives of people who need help the most. Imagine the difference it could make in the lives of people who are truly ill?

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Imagine the difference it could make in the lives of people who are truly ill?

OU812, the problem as I see it is the vast majority of the so-called medical marijuana scene has been taken over by the recreational users. They don't care about sick or dying patients or, if those patients can afford the black market prices. They are only concerned with being able to walk in to a storefront and buying the best smoke.
The recreational users simply put, have used the suffering of the sick and dying as a convenient excuse to overgrow the government for their own benefit.

I don't have anything against those who elect to consume marijuana for recreational purposes. I do have reservations about them controlling the market for the REAL med patients.

The med marijuana community should have been completely separate from the rec user community. It is their inclusion that has ruined the med scene. It is their inclusion that keeps the prices so high.

OU812

OU812, the problem as I see it is the vast majority of the so-called medical marijuana scene has been taken over by the recreational users. They don't care about sick or dying patients or, if those patients can afford the black market prices. They are only concerned with being able to walk in to a storefront and buying the best smoke.
The recreational users simply put, have used the suffering of the sick and dying as a convenient excuse to overgrow the government for their own benefit.

I don't have anything against those who elect to consume marijuana for recreational purposes. I do have reservations about them controlling the market for the REAL med patients.

The med marijuana community should have been completely separate from the rec user community. It is their inclusion that has ruined the med scene. It is their inclusion that keeps the prices so high.

Yup, you hit the nail on the head-and let's not forget dispensary owners, who have set up simply to sell-and turn away sick people who can pay-but maybe not quite as much-or those who are TRULY in need of assistance.

I swear ta God, if I was a millionaire-with all of the nasty experiences I've been through? I'd grow in massive quantities, and ONLY for sick folks. The rec users are fine on their own...and always have been. I have no issue with them either-until it screws up things for folks who need help.

I also blame docs who give a rec to anyone who walks through the door. Glad my doc doesn't do that-I've seen people turned away who tried to fake their way into getting a rec. They weren't charged, just asked to leave.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
No one has explained to me how the Dispensary owner who sets up for the sole purpose of making money makes it less likely that an indigent patient will be helped by someone. Are you under the impression that you're somehow going to shame a guy who operates for love of money into acts of charity? Is Mother Theresa going to look at this guy and say 'greed IS good' and quit helping the indigent?

OK, you don't like the people you describe. Since they're in it for the love of money it's doubtful that they care what you think.

As far as the rec people who are 'ruining' it, whatever that means, they'd be setting the prices whether you could see them or not, or whether they had access from a D or not.

What's your proposed solution to the 'problem' that you see?

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
So what is it 3L, A, B, or C. You are quite well read and I'm sure didn't overlook the question, so what is the answer?

Peace, :joint:

Help me out here since I skimmed over a lot of the previous posts. I had no idea I was addressed here ^^^ in post #1018. Especially, since I have no idea what you are referencing to; "3L, A, B, or C."

WTF!!!!!!!!!!! 3L You were directly challenged in post #1018 but you bumped this post without addressing the question asked to you. I am guessing that you will not be sitting for the CA bar.

The bar is still more than a year away. What is the point of your comment?

richyrich

Veteran

Doctors loose with the pen. Money--the common denominator.

richyrich

Veteran
This thread has drawn a good number of authors, perhaps an ICmag poll is in order to see if ICmager's prefer the Ayn Randesq (A) ALL MEN ARE FREE TO PRODUCE or (B) NO PRODUCTION for anyone because of federal law or (C) REGULATED PRODUCTION to ensure that governments, moochers, and looters are free to steal from, enslave, imprision, or execute those producers they don't like.

Nevermind, hydrosun, I found it. But still unclear about the "3L."

(A) No: Not practical at this time because of the laws. Even though some prefer to subscribe to this option, ironically, they still follow the laws because they know the consequences, but find every loophole possible. In an ideal world this would be the best option but we are held down by prohibition bullshit and a dumb ass war on drugs.

(B) No: I find this to be a skewed option. The option is posed to make one pick one of the two other options. There will always be production even though it is against federal law. Don't we have the California Green Rush going on. [rhetorical question] And, I do believe the federal govt has been the softest it has ever been on persons compliant on state MMJ laws now. [strong emphasis] I am not worried about the feds one bit.

This is where the root of the problem exists which is the topic of this thread.

(C) No: This option would make MMJ available to the most patients and would have the lowest prices. Downside is that quality would suck. But, I doubt the govt could regulate every person who wished to grow for themselves or others striving for quality. E.g: the govt don't have a clue what the individual micro brewer is doing in their home across the nation. Growers benefiting from the high prices now will not like this option because there would be less demand
and prices for home grown quality would be drastically less than now.

For the greedy grower in it for the money, option A and B--the same status quo=same high prices.

For the person who wishes to never grow and wants lower prices, option C.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Help me out here since I skimmed over a lot of the previous posts. I had no idea I was addressed here ^^^ in post #1018. Especially, since I have no idea what you are referencing to; "3L, A, B, or C."

The bar is still more than a year away. What is the point of your comment?

Sorry for the bad site. I posted a question A,B, or C in #1009 of this thread. You showed back up around #1015 or so of this thread and didn't answer the question I had in #1009 so in #1018 I again asked the question but failed to sight back to #1009 or repeat the question.

The question is "As an ICmager how do you feel Marijuana should be treated leagally: (A) All people are born free and may do anything they want with flowers. (B) No person has a right to grow this flower because it is illegal under federal law. (C) REGULATED PRODUCTION to ensure that governments, moochers, and looters are free to steal from, enslave, imprision, or execute those producers they don't like."

The CA bar comment was a little jab about not reading the thread fully and ignoring the question I posed in #1009. Depending on your answer to the question above I'll either be very happy to see a new esq. in this world or further disenchanted.

OU812

No one has explained to me how the Dispensary owner who sets up for the sole purpose of making money makes it less likely that an indigent patient will be helped by someone. Are you under the impression that you're somehow going to shame a guy who operates for love of money into acts of charity? Is Mother Theresa going to look at this guy and say 'greed IS good' and quit helping the indigent?

OK, you don't like the people you describe. Since they're in it for the love of money it's doubtful that they care what you think.

As far as the rec people who are 'ruining' it, whatever that means, they'd be setting the prices whether you could see them or not, or whether they had access from a D or not.

What's your proposed solution to the 'problem' that you see?

Well, if stuck dealing with the current laws of this state-all dispensaries are to be NON-PROFIT organizations, end of story (as I understand it.)

Dispensary owners know full well going into this that if approved for non-profit status, there are very specific laws they are supposed to follow.

Those who don't (and that's a lot of them) should be closed-leaving those who truly operate in a non profit manner to conduct business, draw a salary, pay employees-purchase inventory and help SICK PEOPLE, not rec users. Rec users can afford the high prices, so dispensaries with no programs in place to help those in need are of no help to a lot of the people I've spoken of in previous posts. The place I go to only gives assistance to those who can prove they need it. Other patients pay at either regular price or at 10% off. (If you're unemployed with a rec-10% off.) This place does very, very well. They put $ back into their business, and it's just a beautiful place. They don't post "menus" on the Internet, they offer free delivery if needed, etc.

Until then, rec users (and I used to be one of them) can go on like they did before state laws went into effect. If legalized, they won't have any problems getting what they want, leaving the people who are ill the opportunity to get what they NEED, not WANT-at a reasonable cost.

Growers could still get a good price for their crops as well. I don't believe that if legalized, prices would drop, there are waaaaay too many people who partake!

Legalize, and the crooked dispensary owners wouldn't be in business for long. The competition would kill them off fast. Those who are conducting business in the way it was intended should flourish.

From what I have read, LA and Orange counties are going to be cracking down big time, because so many of these dispensaries are nothing more than a storefront for rec users.

Hope those owners have all of their paperwork in order...that isn't a mess I'd care to get tangled up in-ever. :hide:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Nevermind, hydrosun, I found it. But still unclear about the "3L."

(A) No: Not practical at this time because of the laws. Even though some prefer to subscribe to this option, ironically, they still follow the laws because they know the consequences, but find every loophole possible. In an ideal world this would be the best option but we are held down by prohibition bullshit and a dumb ass war on drugs.

(B) No: I find this to be a skewed option. The option is posed to make one pick one of the two other options. There will always be production even though it is against federal law. Don't we have the California Green Rush going on. [rhetorical question] And, I do believe the federal govt has been the softest it has ever been on persons compliant on state MMJ laws now. [strong emphasis] I am not worried about the feds one bit.

This is where the root of the problem exists which is the topic of this thread.

(C) No: This option would make MMJ available to the most patients and would have the lowest prices. Downside is that quality would suck. But, I doubt the govt could regulate every person who wished to grow for themselves or others striving for quality. E.g: the govt don't have a clue what the individual micro brewer is doing in their home across the nation. Growers benefiting from the high prices now will not like this option because there would be less demand
and prices for home grown quality would be drastically less than now.

For the greedy grower in it for the money, option A and B--the same status quo=same high prices.

For the person who wishes to never grow and wants lower prices, option C.

Are you kidding me? I asked for personal opinions A, B, or C. You failed to make a choice which I guess could be an answer given by people polled; however a third year law student or "3L" may not fair well if a final exam asked for a choice A, B, or C and defend your selection based on your understanding of natural law and the freedoms granted every person under the US Constitution.

Despite failing to give a poll answer you still managed to fail the economic reality test. (A) is the only answer for lowest possible price and highest possible quality (B) is a simple :hide: for those who want to justify infringing on others (C) is what you would really want, won't lead to lower prices or lower quality, IT IS the current system and therefore can not be raising or lowering quality.

(A) is impractical only because people like you insist on option C so they may wield power. (A) is completely possible Americans have flowers of all types in their gardens and no harm comes from it. Lifting an assignine prohibition is entirely practical and has occurred in the country before.

Tell me how can a government regulated and controled environment (C) produce a larger quantity than unlimited freedom (A). And how could (A) be the option for a greedy profiteer (you should just stick with your or B thought there ;) )

If you can defend that position in a moral, ethical, economically rational way that doesn't violate natural law I will eat my hat.

The problem with this thread has nothing to do with price or greed for money, it has every thing to do with people greedy for power and glory so they insist on (C) so they may be a hero to the moochers (beurocratic high party official and lead looter), and the moochers too want option (C) because they feel entitled to free MJ and an (A) environment would mean no subsidy for them, they would have to pay $10 an oz like everyone else.

Thanks for looking out for the proletariat comrade.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
How nice, what would be wrong if this flower was classified as all other flowers and allowed to be grown with impunity?

I have offered solutions, including the removal of Marijuana from the Drug Schedule.
Apparently, if somebody doesn't agree with your opinion 100%, they are the enemy and you go out of your way to demonize them in public.

Maybe if you actually read what I write, researched my other articles on this topic you might understand my viewpoint and stop making me out to be some kind of undercover government slug.

Please explain why marijuana should cost $560 an ounce.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I think as you said you write articles on this subject and want to be part of the REGULATORS who control free men. I think that is immoral and repugnant. I am only stating the truth and you are not denying it. You don't have to agree with me at all, but if you think you have a right to imprison anyone over a flower, then you are not a friend to ANY ICmager.

Good for you that you want your form of regulation to take this flower off of this or that list. You are still in the (C) camp and would tax and imprison others in accordance to your regulations. That is very sad for you and the universe.

MJ should cost about $10 an oz for the best of the best, but it sells for $560 at times because people like you choice (C) and feel proud.

zenoonez

Veteran
Well, if stuck dealing with the current laws of this state-all dispensaries are to be NON-PROFIT organizations, end of story (as I understand it.)

Dispensary owners know full well going into this that if approved for non-profit status, there are very specific laws they are supposed to follow.

Those who don't (and that's a lot of them) should be closed-leaving those who truly operate in a non profit manner to conduct business, draw a salary, pay employees-purchase inventory and help SICK PEOPLE, not rec users. Rec users can afford the high prices, so dispensaries with no programs in place to help those in need are of no help to a lot of the people I've spoken of in previous posts. The place I go to only gives assistance to those who can prove they need it. Other patients pay at either regular price or at 10% off. (If you're unemployed with a rec-10% off.) This place does very, very well. They put $ back into their business, and it's just a beautiful place. They don't post "menus" on the Internet, they offer free delivery if needed, etc.

Until then, rec users (and I used to be one of them) can go on like they did before state laws went into effect. If legalized, they won't have any problems getting what they want, leaving the people who are ill the opportunity to get what they NEED, not WANT-at a reasonable cost.

Growers could still get a good price for their crops as well. I don't believe that if legalized, prices would drop, there are waaaaay too many people who partake!

Legalize, and the crooked dispensary owners wouldn't be in business for long. The competition would kill them off fast. Those who are conducting business in the way it was intended should flourish.

From what I have read, LA and Orange counties are going to be cracking down big time, because so many of these dispensaries are nothing more than a storefront for rec users.

Hope those owners have all of their paperwork in order...that isn't a mess I'd care to get tangled up in-ever. :hide:

So who decides which ones are non profit and which ones aren't? I mean the managing officers of some non profits make millions. Who are you to decide how much a manager of a non profit can pay himself? It is a bogus law period.

OU812

So who decides which ones are non profit and which ones aren't? I mean the managing officers of some non profits make millions. Who are you to decide how much a manager of a non profit can pay himself? It is a bogus law period.

It isn't up to me.

Read up on charitable organizations-there's lots of rules to follow. Bogus law or not, no one forced them to open a dispensary-so if they do, should abide with the laws they agreed to.

Latest posts

Latest posts