What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Chem family

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Before i pulled my chemD pheno the best girl i grew in 2 decades came from a bag seed... tried a reveg and failed :wallbash:

Got a single late harvest s1 though...

Chemdogs legendary beans did come from a 500$ z 20 years ago... he bought 3... that dog bud musta had some serious bag appeal.

i thought he bought '2' oz'?????:hide:

BrainSellz

Veteran
I recorded Danny Danko and Craig Coffey from tha 2007 Cannabis Cup talking about tha Chem and where it came from' I couldnt get it to record tha video but it is tha audio'
Danny talks first then Craig' this was recorded from tha DVD
Hit this link and download' its not a big file' only 8 megs and about a minute long

scroll to bottom of page when you hit tha link you will see tha download there
just click tha actual words Cana Cup link and not tha download button as it gets confusing'
http://www.sendspace.com/file/atd2v5

H&L

I would agree that it has been discussed beyond the point of exhaustion. As far as the holy grail for most, I'd have to strongly disagree. While I am quite fond of the chem cuts, there is much better to be had. Most people who I know who run them feel the same. Great weed for sure, but I feel the hype train has greatly exaggerated these strains. It's to be expected when a cut is so tightly held for such a long period of time.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
I would agree that it has been discussed beyond the point of exhaustion. As far as the holy grail for most, I'd have to strongly disagree. While I am quite fond of the chem cuts, there is much better to be had. Most people who I know who run them feel the same. Great weed for sure, but I feel the hype train has greatly exaggerated these strains. It's to be expected when a cut is so tightly held for such a long period of time.

Still nice to have a thread on the Chem line & the variations of the family ongoing & about . Its the OD ---> ChemD , OG, Diesel & Headband that have come to dominate the Cali growers pallette especially in the last 6yrs or so ...and some very nice Greenhouse works are being done . Personally i'm pleased with anything that sparkles & has a good "nose & aroma " with some deep personal character/flavor . Sort of like people you would want to meet & associate with ! <g

Looks like HumbT & GanjaD have some very nice greenhouse testers getting done of some ChemD/Diesel/OGK variations just threw up some pics of up :
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=164917&page=82

Did see some Purple Diesel meds going around quite alot last yr or so , but nothing that really SourD dominant or even reminescent of SD more just a label . The outdoor OGK is something more to do with having that "right cut" as well as the Diesel ...though many try do these not all successful or the genetics just right . Alot of crossings going on with the few attempts at growing out some good indoor Diesel genetics outdoors not always getting them to finish with any density ...always a problem sometimes . And the later finish...

E

easyrasta

Well i have smoked a joint or two in my life
grown a couple of strains
and for over all ease, yeild, appearance and head, chem 4 is my fav.
everyone has different needs and taste
but the 4 is my huckleberry
peace
Ez

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My OG,,,,the S1 plant my mates found in a batch of seeds is actualy the tastyest plant ive ever grown,,,so i say allpower to the OG,,it sora lives up to the hype,,,ive got the FFA cut and this new "MyOG" is 10levels above the FFA for flava

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i enjoy a rather wide variety of strains and dont believe that chem, og, and ecsd are the ONLY strains on the top shelf...they certainly are on the top shelf...ECSD is prob my favorite all around smoke, got a few og cuts that the flavor just rolls everything, the chem d is straight up medicine, the kind you dont always like to smoke, but it gets the job done every time. im doing the 4 for the first time now and her structure is absolutely amazing.
...while the hype is incredibly over the top, it has mellowed over the last few years...shit, i remember when a thread like this would have been binned long before there were this many posts. i actually booted sfv out of my garden before flowering or tasting her when i had to make room just cuz i was sick of all the hype and controversy it caused online! no shit...anyways...while certainly not the be all end all of strains...believe the hype...just dont listen to all of it! you will enjoy the herb much more!:)

nomaad

Veteran
Been smoking all day long at the office on my mystery OG, fresh from the black box. After the 6th or 7th bong rip, I am usually kinda toasty, ready for a weed nap or a change of scene. That desk-jar exhausted, I grabbed a new stash from the jars at home and took a nice fat top out of the Chem D jar.

Today, I was ready for that weed nap after one rip.

I could care less about hype beyond the point that I sought out the strain because of the hype. So, to that extent, thanks for the hype.

Unique and fantastic flavor and aroma profile. Rolls my eyes back into my head. Every day of cure just gets better and better... glad I kept the gentics and I am looking forward to finishing the 91. I also have cuts of GD/HL's Rez gear as well as the OG that HL has been running for years, so we'll see how all that plays out over the coming year.

STRAINZ

EnglishRick, do u have any pics of ur OG s1? Here's a pic of my SFV OG s1 (AKA OG #18 or Sour OG):

picture.php

Also, for anyone who's interested.......This was on another site (I'm sure some of u have read this & THESE ARE NOT MY WORDS):

"Once the 91 thread started blowing up, I spoke with a representative of the Chem Family who, in correlation with the same story I've always heard, re-stated that the origin of OG is 91 Chemdog (also known as Chem #1) back-crossed into itself. Now, I love Chem, but I have worked with every Chem cut and with real Chem seeds (according to the rules outlined by Proposition 215 and Amendment 420), and I have back-crossed the shit out of everything: Chem #1 back into #1, Chem #1 back into The Sister, back into Chem #4, back into Chem D, etc . . . I have also worked with tons of cuts of OGs both growing and producing, and although it might ruffle a few feathers here on WT, I have to say: OG IS NOT CHEM #1 BACK-CROSSED INTO ITSELF OR ANY OF THE OTHER CRAZY STORIES THAT I'VE HEARD ON THIS WEBSITE. I do believe that OG has now been crossed into Chem, which is why it can be such great medicine, but as a breeder, I cannot endorse a story that just can't be true.

What I recommend to any patient who questions the heritage of OG, is to try to find the original SFV OG cut (NOT THE SEEDS . . . THE ACTUAL, LANKY, STINKY, LOW-PRODUCING CUT). It was the first OG I worked with and it taught me the most. It stayed in my small room for a long time as other cuts came and went and when the "hoarded" cuts of Skunk came through, I knew I was close . . . those foul, stinky, I just butchered a pack of skunks with my F150 type of genetics . . . so, I took the SFV cut, Chem #1, a Skunk #1, an "MSS" (also called Skunk VA in some parts), and one of the newer, more popular OG cuts . . . and I took them all through the entire process together. The conclusion: the SFV, Skunk #1, MSS and OG cut all grew and produced similarly, though the SFV and OG produced less. The Chem #1 grew almost exactly like a Sativa phenotype. OG IS NOT CHEM . . . IT IS A PRODUCT OF AN INSANE SKUNK CROSS. The other strain is most likely one of the bomb breeder's cuts of Northern Lights or another bomb breeder's cut, since, really, OG was developed in America, probably in California or Florida, long before 1991 and held onto by a very small group of people (with no name).

This is obviously a very important matter, especially to those patients who need to know what genetics exist in their medicine. One thing I can say, is that, when we have patients, like my mother (and many other cancer survivors), who ask for that, "crazy Skunk from the 60s and 70s," I show them our top-shelf OGs, and they generally say, "That's the stuff." And when they medicate with it, they report that it's even better than "the good old days." I am an OG-Fiend, so I had to know where it came from, but I truly believe that, just like in The Search For Animal Chin, we should all just skate this amazing halfpipe together and agree that now that we have medicated with the OG, Animal Chin's spirit lives within all of us.

Have a wonderful week!

One love,
MEDI"

Peace

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
is that the DNAsour OG18 clone?,,,

"MYOG" on the left,,,OGKA on the right

13bd4dc1c2.jpg

my OG plant picks
6a95e22172.jpg

sorry about the quality of the pics,,,they looked good on my phone,,:)

OGKA plantpic
fe5eae14b7.jpg

Last edited:

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
EnglishRick, do u have any pics of ur OG s1? Here's a pic of my SFV OG s1 (AKA OG #18 or Sour OG):

picture.php

Also, for anyone who's interested.......This was on another site (I'm sure some of u have read this & THESE ARE NOT MY WORDS):

"Once the 91 thread started blowing up, I spoke with a representative of the Chem Family who, in correlation with the same story I've always heard, re-stated that the origin of OG is 91 Chemdog (also known as Chem #1) back-crossed into itself. Now, I love Chem, but I have worked with every Chem cut and with real Chem seeds (according to the rules outlined by Proposition 215 and Amendment 420), and I have back-crossed the shit out of everything: Chem #1 back into #1, Chem #1 back into The Sister, back into Chem #4, back into Chem D, etc . . . I have also worked with tons of cuts of OGs both growing and producing, and although it might ruffle a few feathers here on WT, I have to say: OG IS NOT CHEM #1 BACK-CROSSED INTO ITSELF OR ANY OF THE OTHER CRAZY STORIES THAT I'VE HEARD ON THIS WEBSITE. I do believe that OG has now been crossed into Chem, which is why it can be such great medicine, but as a breeder, I cannot endorse a story that just can't be true.

What I recommend to any patient who questions the heritage of OG, is to try to find the original SFV OG cut (NOT THE SEEDS . . . THE ACTUAL, LANKY, STINKY, LOW-PRODUCING CUT). It was the first OG I worked with and it taught me the most. It stayed in my small room for a long time as other cuts came and went and when the "hoarded" cuts of Skunk came through, I knew I was close . . . those foul, stinky, I just butchered a pack of skunks with my F150 type of genetics . . . so, I took the SFV cut, Chem #1, a Skunk #1, an "MSS" (also called Skunk VA in some parts), and one of the newer, more popular OG cuts . . . and I took them all through the entire process together. The conclusion: the SFV, Skunk #1, MSS and OG cut all grew and produced similarly, though the SFV and OG produced less. The Chem #1 grew almost exactly like a Sativa phenotype. OG IS NOT CHEM . . . IT IS A PRODUCT OF AN INSANE SKUNK CROSS. The other strain is most likely one of the bomb breeder's cuts of Northern Lights or another bomb breeder's cut, since, really, OG was developed in America, probably in California or Florida, long before 1991 and held onto by a very small group of people (with no name).

This is obviously a very important matter, especially to those patients who need to know what genetics exist in their medicine. One thing I can say, is that, when we have patients, like my mother (and many other cancer survivors), who ask for that, "crazy Skunk from the 60s and 70s," I show them our top-shelf OGs, and they generally say, "That's the stuff." And when they medicate with it, they report that it's even better than "the good old days." I am an OG-Fiend, so I had to know where it came from, but I truly believe that, just like in The Search For Animal Chin, we should all just skate this amazing halfpipe together and agree that now that we have medicated with the OG, Animal Chin's spirit lives within all of us.

Have a wonderful week!

One love,
MEDI"

Peace

MEDI aka MEDIC?
isnt he the guy who came online over there pretending to be s4vvy and got called out?

maybe im thinking of a different dude/handle....

C

Chong_Irie

That story is from the guys at GAM in Malibu..I doubt that Medic is part of that crew, but you never know.

Rudedewd

Skunk VA is not Mass Super Skunk. To my understanding Skunk Va was the handle of a dude that Chem gave a cut of 91 Chem before he lost the mom. Skunk Va is original 91 Chem.

ufullachit

WOW :wave:........... That's some straight CHOWDER right there homie....

Good Lookin' flaowas fella>>> Some bomb Chowder right there...

Blessings......

picture.php

Have a wonderful week!

One love,
MEDI"

Peace

STRAINZ

is that the DNAsour OG18 clone?,,,
fe5eae14b7.jpg

Yeah, actually it's R.P. (through DNA) & they're from seed. Also, thanx for the pics.....kinda hard to tell from the phone pics, but I thought ur "MYOG" maybe looked a little more indica?!

MEDI aka MEDIC?
isnt he the guy who came online over there pretending to be s4vvy and got called out?

maybe im thinking of a different dude/handle....

Greyskull, I don't know who this guy is but I did find this posted on the Farm & believe it was originally from WT. I'm actually leaning torwards the theory that OG is a Chem S1....but unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of working with a lot of these strains for any length of time!

WOW
wave.gif
........... That's some straight CHOWDER right there homie....

Good Lookin' flaowas fella>>> Some bomb Chowder right there...

Blessings......

Thanks dude! All that talk about chowder....u must be from Boston!

Last edited:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the MyOG is defo more indica than the OGKA,,,,but the MyOG clone isnot a yealder,,,its purely a taste selection,,its currently my fave plant for taste,,its even better than the cheese imho [for taste]:)

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
oh,,i forgot to mention,,,,the seeds MYOG came from were the same batch of OG seeds that DNA selected there OG18 clone from,,DNA sent my shop in the UK a big batch of testers just after the 06 HTCC,,,[we allways get stupid testers from DNA] ,,,most of the time they are hardly worth growing BUT this batch of ReservaPravida OG S1 were never officaly on-sale and they didnt perform like the usual testers atall,,,i didnt even think they would be any good untill my mate selected this MYOG clone from them,,,,flippin hek,,, i got a serious shock when i first saw it,,,never in my life was i expecting this,,its simply delightfull to smoke!!

Grizz

Veteran
i enjoy a rather wide variety of strains and dont believe that chem, og, and ecsd are the ONLY strains on the top shelf...they certainly are on the top shelf...ECSD is prob my favorite all around smoke, got a few og cuts that the flavor just rolls everything, the chem d is straight up medicine, the kind you dont always like to smoke, but it gets the job done every time. im doing the 4 for the first time now and her structure is absolutely amazing.
...while the hype is incredibly over the top, it has mellowed over the last few years...shit, i remember when a thread like this would have been binned long before there were this many posts. i actually booted sfv out of my garden before flowering or tasting her when i had to make room just cuz i was sick of all the hype and controversy it caused online! no shit...anyways...while certainly not the be all end all of strains...believe the hype...just dont listen to all of it! you will enjoy the herb much more!:)

Sub I remember those og, chem, kush wars, lol it got pretty nasty, entertaining anyway, its nice to be able to discuss these topics without the hate.

nice post greyskull, i have to agree, og just doesent seem to be related to chem in my book.