What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mac vs. PC - the great debate

smokefrogg

Veteran
mac is for lame ass hipsters

PC is dominated by a few mega corps

they all suck

build your own

go linux

lol

smokefrogg

As an IT guy you'll love Carbon Copy Cloner - big time. I've been using this application for 3 years or so.

Killer app, IMHO

CC

giving it a go on my work macbook at home, backing up to another computer here with an external drive plugged in, doing it over wifi and it's chugging along happily so far, did have an issue where one of the windows of ccc was stuck behind the settings windows lol, but the backup portion seems to be working just fine

smokefrogg

Veteran
microsoft excel 2008 on mac kind of sucks for me, for instance, the sort by takes ages even on tiny data sets (like <100 rows!)

grapeman

Veteran
The Windows command-line interface

All versions of Microsoft Windows have had an MS-DOS like command-line interface (CLI). Versions of Windows (up to 3.11) ran as a Graphical User Interface (GUI) running above MS-DOS. Windows 95, 98, and ME had an MS-DOS prompt which ran command.com, with added facilities for such features as long file names.

The true 32-bit versions of Windows, from Windows NT, are not based on DOS but provide a command-line interface similar to MS-DOS's character-mode interface known as the console. This is provided by a native executable, cmd.exe. Many Windows console applications are incorrectly referred to as DOS applications. However, in reality they are Windows applications, using Windows system calls, using the text console for input and output rather than a graphical interface. Both true MS-DOS programs and Windows console programs can be run from the command line in the same console window.

32-bit Windows can run MS-DOS programs through the use of the NTVDM (NT Virtual DOS Machine), and the 16-bit command.com interpreter which is still included to maintain application compatibility with programs that require it.

All versions of Windows for x64 and ia64 architectures no longer include the NTVDM and can therefore no longer natively run MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows applications. There are alternatives in the form of Virtual machine emulators such as Microsoft's own Virtual PC, as well as VMware, DOSBox, and others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kb.../Miscellaneous/Win9xandWindows2000andDOS.html

So is dos gone altogether from win nt forward or from the flavor of 64 bit windows forward?

♥Mo♥

So is dos gone altogether from win nt forward or from the flavor of 64 bit windows forward?

Nice save grapeman. For what it's worth, DOS is still available in all windows flavors however it is as said no longer "native". My understanding is windows xp was written using NT code thus allowing it to go full 32 bit processing. win 9x and me ran 32bit but was piped thru 16bit thus the bottlenecks etc... Another for what it's worth, Windows NT is/was a different animal and used NTFS vs Fat file system amongst numerous other differences. :blowbubbles:

indifferent

Veteran
XP is NT v5. Vista was v6, windows 7 is actually v7.

NT was a joint project with IBM and DEC so contained originally many non-MS concepts and code.

Macs vs PC has always been the same debate to me - if you have a lot of money, get a Mac. For the other 99% of us, get a PC with Windows, use it a few years till you become proficient then install Linux.

smokefrogg

Veteran
right on.
were you on numbers 1 or 2 or both?

i think it was iwork 08? whichever came with the last version of iwork

it came down to me having to bust something out real quick, then having to deal with a program that behaves differently than what i am used to and getting frustrated under the time crunch, so i just fired up a pc with excel and 20 minutes later had the small project done

oh yeah, iwork altered the excel file even though i did not save, was glad i had a backup of it, some of my formulas calculating between worksheets had been annihilated when it was pulled into numbers

for something quick and dirty, i've actually been using google docs a lot lately

O

OGfarmerted

im a computer tech / net nerd . i use pc that dual boots win7 and linux mint kde. i could tri boot OS-x if i wanted to but i have no use for mac software at this time.
i have software that can do everything on linux and windows from music production to sniffing networks for packets. i have something against paying for software.
all in all, i never bluescreen, never crash, never get viruses on win or linux, i run the right firewall and antivirus and dont open stupid files or go to compromised websites. i browse with firefox and use add-on scripts that prevent java and flash from loading etc..

with virtual box you can run all 3- win/linux/os-x on a decent pc. for 1,000's less than a mac.i was even running solaris and a few others. the linux repository also has every type of software you could ever want for free, even a program for organizing and studying plants. linux isnt scary or hard to use. ubuntu comes in many flavors thats noob friendly and self does everything with an easy wizard and excellent user interface. there is standard ubuntu 9.10, linux mint helena kde which is ubuntu modified with a cleaner and more efficient gui. linux ylmf os is an xp look alike clone that makes xp seem like kids play. it can do everything and then some. all available for download free and can work live from disk or even be installed on a 4 gig thumbdrive.

i will stop rambling on like an aspie now. pc for the win, but macs are still great.

got a dell E6500 series, aka dorkbox 3000, (the pictures make it look cooler than it is in real life). top of the line for its model tho.
8 gigs ram, 250gig solid state hard drive, forget what the processor is, 3.06ghz core duo celeron, official fingerprint reader, the works! A $3800+ value. With Windows 7, XP Mode capability.

Lemme tell you something. Compared to the Macbook pro..

I hate this thing. LOL. Lemme tell you why now.

The touch pad sucks. The texture is rough.
So when you drag your finger in a precise way, it stubbs up.
The mac touchpad is so smooth and silky, it really makes a difference.
The touch pad is very, very small compared to the Mac
With the Mac you can use four fingers, two fingers, one finger, and they all do different functions on the touchpad.
With the Mac, my touchpad clicks.
With the Dell, there are literally 4 buttons! A touchpad..
And a pointer stick! Lol! I guess you could say options.
But that seems like overkill. And all badly designed at that!
Moving on now.

The screen dimensions of these dells most often seem square.
The Macs are wide. It really feels bigger/better that way.
Of course, macs having integrated screens is cool too.

It's a given, but the dell doesn't have a magnet power adapter..

With the Mac you can set it so the mouse pointer if dragged to the four corners of your screen will each perform a different function. I don't think you can do that with Windows 7.

It's nice to drag all four fingers on your pad with the mac and view all your windows at once. Can you do this with Win7..dunno yet. Same goes for dragging all four up and clearing to your desktop.

Then there is the 'Widgets' and the 'Dashboard' on the Mac, which is great.

The dell's keyboard lighting will go off even though you tell it to stay on, or be on auto. Wtf?

The dell has vents on the bottom for vans, which makes no sense most among other things.

The dell is bulky, and looks funny, all square and sharp. The mac of course is sleek and sexy.
But it probably will perform decently. It should, at least!

Admittedly, the dell probably isnt designed toward people who would want something with much style, but still, it's kinda lame.
It is just a shame that there is such good hardware but design/style/functionality is lacking so horrendously, just in basic realms of computerism, too.

I don't claim to be a heavy or deep computer user, this is just a low end user's perspective, so don't yell at me for not being down w/ the computer g funk.
But I'm not noticing much of a difference from Win 7 to Vista from a glance, they made it a little more like the Mac but not enough ;)

I run linux mint kde in a dual boot with win 7 as well. Linux does everything I want and its all legally free to download and you never have to search for stuff cause its all in the repositories. The only reason I have win 7 is to play video games. Damn all the game companies for using direct x!

ButteredIt

magnetic power adapter. it has saved my laptop from being destroyed more than once.

i have never gotten a virus, and have never downloaded/updated/though about virus protection for the past 8 years.

mac for the win. because i don't program, and have no desire to learn. i don't know the chemistry behind why tuct tape sticks better than scotch... i just use what works.

B

Bud Bug

i have never gotten a virus, and have never downloaded/updated/though about virus protection for the past 8 years.

This is exactly what hacker and virus writers drool and dream about. Users thinking it can't happen to them or their system is some superior non exploitable system. Just like those uniux/linux sysadmins that think no one will hack their system. :blowbubbles:

http://www.securemac.com

Adobe Flash exploit are not just for Windows only. They affect any system that has flash installed on it whether it be Linux/Unix/OSX/Windows/etc...

mac for the win. because i don't program, and have no desire to learn. i don't know the chemistry behind why tuct tape sticks better than scotch... i just use what works.

Linux FTW when I want it to just work.