What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mac vs. PC - the great debate

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
haha! I seriously find you EVERYwhere on this site..we must both be bored.

Mostly run Ubuntu these days, but....
Zendo

Your posts are always a welcome deal for me - i.e. you know what you're talking about. I respect knowledge and intelligence - big time.

Not so much 'bored' as rather interested in new 'thinking' and folks who are capable of thinking 'outside the box' and you are in that paradigm, IMHO.

Peace

CC

pease

mac is for lame ass hipsters

PC is dominated by a few mega corps

they all suck

build your own

go linux

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
mac is for lame ass hipsters

PC is dominated by a few mega corps

they all suck

build your own

go linux
Uh huh.

Since over 90% of the images on the WWW have gone through Adobe Photoshop at some point in time, what exactly is the Linux solution?

GIMP? LMAO

YAWN - to say the least. GIMP is a piece of crap - period.

Thanks for cheerleading the Linux OS - it has its place but it fails on so many levels it's not even worth discussing.

Thanks for sharing regardless.

CC

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
song-chart-memes-operating-systems.jpg

mac_win_linux_perceptions-s.jpg

grapeman

Veteran
So because I've not sent it back yet, it means it's my own fault that it's not working properly? What a load of crap. And you might already know this, but I'm not you. I try and fix something myself before I get other people to do it for me. And after reinstalling the firmware yesterday, it seems to be working OK. I'm hoping it's just Apple's software that's causing the problems, and not hardware issues.

Are you going to explain your point about Windows being a GUI over DOS yet? Or are you a hypocrite as well as a bullshitter?

No, whats troubling is that you put forth an iPod problem in this thread as if this is somehow indicative to the thread.

The stupidity here is that you whine about it here when the solution is so simple even a windows user can handle it. Request a new one and it shall be done. If you have time to complain about it here, you used about the same amount of time it would take to get Apple customer Service (ranked @1 on the world) to fix it.

But given the fact you use windows, and there is no telling what parts are in the box, my bet is you got a shit computer made from vietnamese parts.

As for Windows GUI running over a flavor of DOS?? Look it up yourself. then come back and admit I am right.

No, whats troubling is that you put forth an iPod problem in this thread as if this is somehow indicative to the thread.

The stupidity here is that you whine about it here when the solution is so simple even a windows user can handle it. Request a new one and it shall be done. If you have time to complain about it here, you used about the same amount of time it would take to get Apple customer Service (ranked @1 on the world) to fix it.

But given the fact you use windows, and there is no telling what parts are in the box, my bet is you got a shit computer made from vietnamese parts.

As for Windows GUI running over a flavor of DOS?? Look it up yourself. then come back and admit I am right.

How about you look it up, and show me some evidence to suggest you're right? Or did your son just tell you that crap, not realising you were going to repeat it and end up looking like an ass?

I mostly build my own computers. I know exactly what parts go in them. My comment was pertinent to the discussion too. People were mentioning Apple products in general, and commenting on them. I can do the same, and without your permission. And no, Apple will probably just say, "Sorry we're not replacing your product, but we'll give you a discount if you choose to buy another one. Or you can pay for us to fix it" It's happened to a couple of Ipod and Iphone owners that I know. And I would rather not waste my time with them and be without my Ipod for a few weeks if I can spend an hour fixing it myself. I also can't find where they're ranked number one in the world. Was that another lie from you?

grapeman

Veteran
How about you look it up, and show me some evidence to suggest you're right? Or did your son just tell you that crap, not realising you were going to repeat it and end up looking like an ass?

I mostly build my own computers. I know exactly what parts go in them. My comment was pertinent to the discussion too. People were mentioning Apple products in general, and commenting on them. I can do the same, and without your permission. And no, Apple will probably just say, "Sorry we're not replacing your product, but we'll give you a discount if you choose to buy another one. Or you can pay for us to fix it" It's happened to a couple of Ipod and Iphone owners that I know. And I would rather not waste my time with them and be without my Ipod for a few weeks if I can spend an hour fixing it myself. I also can't find where they're ranked number one in the world. Was that another lie from you?

15 seconds and google. "Consumer Reports, NY Times and Fortune magazine"

http://mac.blorge.com/2010/03/11/apple-tops-customer-support-list/

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/17/apple-tops-pc-customer-service-rankings/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/1913...pple_still_tops_in_computer_tech_support.html

You can't even use google and you doubt that I know more then you?

Wow. Just like in the book "Arguing with idiots".

You still doubt that fact that windows is built on top of DOS?

You have already spent more time typing then it would take to get your broken iPod replaced for free.... if you even own one.

B

Bud Bug

You still doubt that fact that windows is built on top of DOS?

The Windows command-line interface

All versions of Microsoft Windows have had an MS-DOS like command-line interface (CLI). Versions of Windows (up to 3.11) ran as a Graphical User Interface (GUI) running above MS-DOS. Windows 95, 98, and ME had an MS-DOS prompt which ran command.com, with added facilities for such features as long file names.

The true 32-bit versions of Windows, from Windows NT, are not based on DOS but provide a command-line interface similar to MS-DOS's character-mode interface known as the console. This is provided by a native executable, cmd.exe. Many Windows console applications are incorrectly referred to as DOS applications. However, in reality they are Windows applications, using Windows system calls, using the text console for input and output rather than a graphical interface. Both true MS-DOS programs and Windows console programs can be run from the command line in the same console window.

32-bit Windows can run MS-DOS programs through the use of the NTVDM (NT Virtual DOS Machine), and the 16-bit command.com interpreter which is still included to maintain application compatibility with programs that require it.

All versions of Windows for x64 and ia64 architectures no longer include the NTVDM and can therefore no longer natively run MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows applications. There are alternatives in the form of Virtual machine emulators such as Microsoft's own Virtual PC, as well as VMware, DOSBox, and others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kb.../Miscellaneous/Win9xandWindows2000andDOS.html

If you have time to complain about it here, you used about the same amount of time it would take to get Apple customer Service (ranked @1 on the world) to fix it.

15 seconds and google. "Consumer Reports, NY Times and Fortune magazine"

http://mac.blorge.com/2010/03/11/app...-support-list/

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...vice-rankings/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19132...h_support.html

You can't even use google and you doubt that I know more then you?

Wow. Just like in the book "Arguing with idiots".

Those links are all comparing them to other computer manufacturers. Compared to other companies in the world, the articles I found rated Apple at around 15 - 25th. They were behind UPS in one of the surveys. So no, they're not ranked at number 1 in the world.

B

Bud Bug

And?? No one ever said Apples were 100% issue free....
My mac provides a more pleasant end user experience than any PC i've ever used, and does so with far fewer and much less significant issues. My first personal computer was a C-64 in 1983.

Well you need to elaborate about these PC issues you talk about. I'll tell you of two I had in the last 8 years. Once the PSU burnt out on my shoutcast server which was PII 200 (running slackware 8) which was already like 5 years old. The other was my CPU fan failed.

Never had a MB go
Never had RAM go
Never had a CPU itself go
Never had a monitor go. My last DELL LCD that I gave away with an old box running Open Suse 11 was 6 years old and sill running strong for the person I gave it to.
Actually I did fuck up a MB about 8 years ago when I flashed it but that was my own fault.

Now come back when Mac's are as popular as PC or they out number pc 1000 to 1 and then we'll talk about issues.

Oh and here are photos of the slackware box along with a second W2K web server on top of the desk and an IP cop firewall on the floor. The IP cop box was probably 6 years old by then it was a PI 133/64MB RAM

B

Bud Bug

Oh and here are photos of the slackware box along with a second W2K web server on top of the desk and an IP cop firewall on the floor. The IP cop box was probably 7 years old by then it was a PI 133/64MB RAM Those things ran 24/7 for years with no problems.

server2.jpg

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
lmao at bud bug.

I don't care fuck all about outnumbering sales... PC may outnumber mac 1000 to one, but 900 of those thousand are in landfills. My mac provides me with a better end user experience, period. Owned 8 or 10 PCs and one mac. You can set up straw men all you like and rant about how good PCs are all you like and it will never change that fact.

For most consumers, most apple products are better than most PCs, in most of the areas that matter the most.

No elaboration needed.

B

Bud Bug

For most consumers, most apple products are better than most PCs, in most of the areas that matter the most.

Really? Please elaborate on this better web surfing and document editing experience because the only other thing that would matter would be games and we know where this would go.

Again even if it was Apples to Apples 1mil Mac to 10mil PC with the same hardware at sane retail pricing the PC's would show greater failure rate of the same hardware only because there are 90% more PC out there.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
do you know any phrases besides "please elaborate"?

It is not necessary to so I'm not gonna. Everyone who knows, knows... those who don't. won't.

No elaboration needed.

Latest posts

Latest posts