What's new

Mac vs. PC - the great debate

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
but I find MAC people clueless of the inner workings of osx
Really?

Would you like to venture a guess on how many Wintel users even know what TLC is or much less how to download a tar ball file and configure that file to a server running on their box? Like say Ruby on Rails or Perl?

I'm betting less than 5% but I'm open to being educated.

Thanks!

CC

smokefrogg

Veteran
I've never had any issues with OSX either and been using it since 10.4 tiger was a brand spanking new cub.

right on man, that's dope and wish my experiences echoed yours

been using it since 10.2 here, 60 macs at work that i manage, have had several of my own, g3 pismo powerbook all the way up to 8 core mac pros w/16gb ram on an 80tb xsan2 system...final cut, illustrator, photoshop, indesign, we run those apps all day long

bulk of issues stem from:
hard drive crapping out
adobe software being a bitch
xsan2 being a bitch cuz we went ultra cheap on the original roll out

none of the big issues stem directly from apple, however they are related so i call them apple issues regardless =) lol

smokefrogg

Veteran
Really?

Would you like to venture a guess on how many Wintel users even know what TLC is or much less how to download a tar ball file and configure that file to a server running on their box? Like say Ruby on Rails or Perl?

I'm betting less than 5% but I'm open to being educated.

Thanks!

CC

to keep it strictly in the land of windows here

we could say, "how many windows users actually know what the registry is, or a batch file?" you would find a very small percentile would...

most computer users in general have no idea of the above, let alone tar balls or symlinks or perl modules or kernels =)

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
hard drive crapping out

none of the big issues stem directly from apple, however they are related so i call them apple issues regardless =) lol
smokefrogg

RE Adobe Systems' software

Do ya think? CS4 is a very troubling suite, IMHO. Particularly Adobe Photoshop and Adobe <snerk> Dreamweaver - I'm just about ready to switch back to CS3

And let's not forget some of the real 'treasures' at Adobe's dust heap - Adobe Livemotion, Adobe Premiere (for Mac), Adobe <snerk> PageMaker or one they really screwed the pooch on - Adobe Golive (I still remember and love Golive Cyberstudio before the buyout by Adobe Systems).

Bruce Chisin was THE worst choice for CEO anyone could have come up with!

Period!

CC

smokefrogg

Veteran
smokefrogg

RE Adobe Systems' software

Do ya think? CS4 is a very troubling suite, IMHO. Particularly Adobe Photoshop and Adobe <snerk> Dreamweaver - I'm just about ready to switch back to CS3

And let's not forget some of the real 'treasures' at Adobe's dust heap - Adobe Livemotion, Adobe Premiere (for Mac), Adobe <snerk> PageMaker or one they really screwed the pooch on - Adobe Golive (I still remember and love Golive Cyberstudio before the buyout by Adobe Systems).

Bruce Chisin was THE worst choice for CEO anyone could have come up with!

Period!

CC

we actually have far less issues with cs4

there are some still on cs3, those guys have way more issues

for example, working in photoshop and illustrator copying and pasting back and forth all day long, eventually they can no longer paste into illustrator from photoshop, when this happens they also can no longer save as .ai format in illustrator, we wipe the preference files and restart the adobe programs and all is well again and working properly =)

then there's that issue with adobe updater and certain acrobat updates, the adobe updater will not actually install certain updates, it will appear as if it was a super quick install but then you will be prompted for the same damn update again, work around is to manually install these one at a time, jeez last time i did that there was about 20 incremental updates lol

with cs4 i rarely ever have issues on our team

p.s. i wish they'd get adobe audition (cool edit pro) ported over, at home that's pretty much the only reason i keep a windows install around, it's just my tool of choice for audio related tasks, i know it and am fast with it, plus it has some amazing scripting capabilities that can be very useful

Zendo

smokefrogg

Did you happen to see this article by any chance?

LOL

CC

haha! I seriously find you EVERYwhere on this site..we must both be bored.

I actually am one of the people that HAS switched back from CS4 to 3..

And to the poster above, I assure you I understand the inner workings of OSX just fine..Then again I've been a mac user since the 80's..

Mostly run Ubuntu these days, but....

F.a.k.k 2

wow i need a drink and smoke before i post on this subject, btw you can tell who is talking outta there azz and who isnt, it apparent after reading 26 pages of garble over some pretty obvious answers.

BTW the word never used and is very very important is called" end user experience" it the true difference between a mac and pc.

Smoke and drink before i pick this one apart, and yes FACTS not opinion.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
right on man, that's dope and wish my experiences echoed yours

been using it since 10.2 here, 60 macs at work that i manage, have had several of my own, g3 pismo powerbook all the way up to 8 core mac pros w/16gb ram on an 80tb xsan2 system...final cut, illustrator, photoshop, indesign, we run those apps all day long

hard drive crapping out

I did have a western digi hard drive crap out, but I propmtly replaced it and thanks to Time Machine and CarbonCopyCloner it was completely painless. I don't call it an OSX issue since OSX helped make solving it simple.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
If you knew who/what Berkshire Hathaway was, you would know how stupid the poster is. Instead, you re-quote the poster thereby displaying, for all to see here, your laughable ignorance.... maybe worse.

grapeman, I don't know how to make this any more clear for you. Your reading comprehension is terrible, and you're only making yourself look ignorant. I made sure to quote you so you can't go back and edit it. :)

Instead of being so keen to attack, take a second to read what you're quoting. Did I, at any point in the post, make any indication that I agreed with what I quoted? The only thing I wrote in reference to it was "lmao..." which on the internet means "laughing my ass off"... if I agreed with that comment, why would I be laughing my ass off?

4. Flaming/Trolling: Flames are posts intended to insult and provoke. Posters who speak incessantly and/or rabidly on some relatively uninteresting subject or with a patently ridiculous attitude will be banned. Repeated posts directed with hostility at a particular person or group of people or their beliefs will be cause for banning. Any individual who chronically trolls, who regularly posts arguments, flames or personal attacks for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion will be banned. Trolls are recognizable by the fact that they have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait.

smokefrogg

Veteran
smokefrogg

Did you happen to see this article by any chance?

LOL

CC

hmm i hadn't seen that, pretty interesting, apple is killing it in the operating profits

haha! I seriously find you EVERYwhere on this site..we must both be bored.

I actually am one of the people that HAS switched back from CS4 to 3..

And to the poster above, I assure you I understand the inner workings of OSX just fine..Then again I've been a mac user since the 80's..

Mostly run Ubuntu these days, but....

lots of progress bars all day while i'm at the office, gives me time to check more important things like icmag ;)

yeah that's a trip, i have heard from others too that cs4 sucks and screws up far too often so they roll back to cs3, we haven't been having any serious issues with cs4 at all though and everyone seems to prefer it once they figure out they don't have to have everything in tabs (lol, i thought that idea was "cool" but not really practical, the designers hate the tabs!)

I did have a western digi hard drive crap out, but I propmtly replaced it and thanks to Time Machine and CarbonCopyCloner it was completely painless. I don't call it an OSX issue since OSX helped make solving it simple.

we had 1 western digital begin to crap out but it was a piece of cake to get all the data back...in regards to seagate's 7200.11 model though, damn there have been a lot of late nights due to those =\ poo', western digital black all the way as of late, had a green die on me but was able to get all that back too

we use time machine in some instances, but in others we can't, like we have a couple servers i use for the design teams, one of them is hosted by a macpro running osx server, time machine borks out trying to backup the 6tb scsi direct attached storage array to a 7.5tb storage array across gigabit ethernet, that is kinda' lame...other than that i've been pretty happy with time machine and it has saved our ass before with the ceo even

smokefrogg

Veteran
re time machine

i got to say i do love shadow copy on the windows systems, all our windows servers run it, it's so nice on the file servers when i can show the users how to grab a previous version on their own, they love that and it empowers them and allows me to focus on other things

smokefrogg

Veteran
the cs5 content aware tool is pretty nuts, great fill in on the sky and desert, very impressed with that

re the carbon copy cloner, i'll give that a try, i think that could simplify a few of my other tasks as well, i've heard it referenced for drive cloning before but have always used either dd or disc utility for those things and they did the job, but it sounds like ccc is a lot more flexible

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
re the carbon copy cloner, i'll give that a try, i think that could simplify a few of my other tasks as well, i've heard it referenced for drive cloning before but have always used either dd or disc utility for those things and they did the job, but it sounds like ccc is a lot more flexible
smokefrogg

As an IT guy you'll love Carbon Copy Cloner - big time. I've been using this application for 3 years or so.

Killer app, IMHO

CC