What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mac vs. PC - the great debate

jd4083

Veteran
I've always been a fan of Mac, but from a distance. Been using XP Pro since the day it became available and I don't see myself changing any time real soon.

With that said, I truthfully am having a hard time understanding the premium at which apple computers go for in today's market. For the $3000 or so it would take to get a higher-end macbook, I could have spent literally 1/4 as much for a windows-based machine and dual-booted (or outright replaced windows) with OSX.

Is it just the aesthetics and draw of being a "Mac guy" (or gal)? I can't shake the feeling that if I bought a Mac I'd also have to purchase a fixed gear bicycle and an ironic t-shirt to go along. yadadadadmean?

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
That's a generalization. I don't buy anything from Apple just because it's shiny. I'm very happy with the switch I made to Macbook Pro, and I don't feel any more sophisticated because of it. I'm just happy, that's all.

iSmokeTrees

May I present... the ipad!
t6qhir.png

jd4083

Veteran
That's a generalization. I don't buy anything from Apple just because it's shiny. I'm very happy with the switch I made to Macbook Pro, and I don't feel any more sophisticated because of it. I'm just happy, that's all.

Well The Onion is a satirical news source, I don't think he meant any harm :comfort: And I'm a graphic designer so a lot of the bells and whistles on macs are pretty attractive to me...but then I'm reminded of the fact that for 1/4 the price I can have twice the performance with a windows build and the love is gone. :laughing:

I don't see why people bother buying Macintosh set-ups anymore. Why not just buy a Windows-based PC and install OS X on it if you want the operating system? It could save a heck of a lot of money.

Apple produce hideously overpriced products aimed at people more concerned with aesthetics than functionality. There's nothing that a Mac can do that a Windows-based PC can't, and vice versa. However, you can do everything a Mac can do on a PC for a fraction of the price that you can on a Mac.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
I'm a PC man, however, my lady bought me an ipod shuffle, and those little things kick ass.
peace

150wPimpin

LMAO

lets see does mac crash NO

does mac go blue screen NO

does mac get virus NO

does mac get hacked NO

Did Microsoft steal appels OS yes and they always have and do and always will when ever apple puts out new product.

Which is better???

It's no question. If you have never owned a mac then you have no opinion.

Did Microsoft steal appels OS yes and they always have and do and always will when ever apple puts out new product.

Which is better???

It's no question. If you have never owned a mac then you have no opinion.

I've owned a Mac, and I've used them frequently, and I think they're overpriced and inferior. They do crash. And my XP machine outlasted my Macintosh by a good 2 years.

What did Microsoft steal from Apple?

150wPimpin

Don't you find it odd apple had to result to commercials to slander pcs? Who does that, besides politicians?

anlt00.jpg

But you don't find it odd that Microsoft rips apple off every chance they get???

LOL

its kinda like shady breeders selling nock offs

Microsoft is a shady breeder

150wPimpin

I've owned a Mac, and I've used them frequently, and I think they're overpriced and inferior. They do crash. And my XP machine outlasted my Macintosh by a good 2 years.

What did Microsoft steal from Apple?

hah your serious?

they stole the OS and have stole every OS apple puts out
if it wasn't for apple there wouldn't be a Microsoft.

There is a lot of history there dude!

I am not an elletist snob but i will tell you that after using PC my entire life and now having a MAC
I know i will never look back and kick myself everyday for not making the switch sooner.

Its not about money or looks its about the product working each and everytime as expected

its about installing a proggy in like 3 seconds versus 2 hours

its about function

PC's just dont function man

150wPimpin

You've just repeated what I asked you to clarify. What specifically have they stolen? The GUI?

Do you not know what OS mean or something?

everyone knows that windows is a cheap ripp off of the MAC operating system come on dude seriously??

you didnt know?

And to top that off they couldnt even get it right

Kaneh

Last time I checked you can't install OSX on PC. (Well, you can, but it is not stable)

I've been using Macs for over ten years. No way I would switch to PC.
The difference is a computer that runs the programs I wan't to use or computer that needs a pro to keep it working. And let's not forget all the viruses, etc you have to deal with PC.
I'm not good with computers, but I need them daily with my work (before graphics, now audio).

In my opinion all computers sucks ass bigtime, but with Mac there's pretty good possibility that you can get some work done.

If you buy cheapest Macbook, you can't get as good PC with same money. < this is from mouth of a diehard PC-guy. I'm not 100% if it's true anymore

And Windows is a fooking joke! ;) I would love to use Linux with good PC, but I can't get the programs I need for it. + I'm not sure if I could get laptop that is anyway near the overal quality MacBook pro?

Do you not know what OS mean or something?

everyone knows that windows is a cheap ripp off of the MAC operating system come on dude seriously??

you didnt know?

And to top that off they couldnt even get it right

I'm a computer science student. If I didn't know what an operating system is, I wouldn't be. What exactly have they ripped off? And didn't Apple technically "rip-off" UNIX, by using it's kernel as a base for OS X?

greenhead

Veteran
Why not just buy a Windows-based PC and install OS X on it if you want the operating system?

It takes a lot of fiddling around and skill to get OS X running perfectly on a PC. And many people who have Hackintoshes never get certain features running good or running at all. Just go and have a look at some of those forums and you'll see that most people never get a smooth running Mac OS X on a PC.

:tiphat:

150wPimpin

I'm a computer science student. If I didn't know what an operating system is, I wouldn't be. What exactly have they ripped off? And didn't Apple technically "rip-off" UNIX, by using it's kernel as a base for OS X?

Actullay they used xerox's heads up display. But i dont think they stole it. Xerox doesn do computers they do copys and they actully invented the windows system.

Dude im not trying to have an argument im not trying to say you dont know about computers.

Fact is MAC is a better product bottom line there is no debate

Kaneh

Iphone is pretty awesome also. There's so many new innovations in that phone.
I hate myself everyday I use my Nokia. The problem is pretty much the same that with PCs, Operating systems on phones are so full of flaws that it isn't funny anymore...

I sound like Apple fanboy, but this is just how I see it after using many different products. Like I sayed, I'm not good with technical stuff and I just like when things work easily.

Latest posts

Latest posts