What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
So, just for fun one of my more commercial plants. Do you think I needed that PK booster :biggrin:

View attachment 189418

Did you flush...I hope so.

I remember when the 'flush' thing came along......and all my friends said,"did you flush?"....and I said,"yeah"...because I did.

I thought I had to.

Then I started not flushing my organic soil mix (which I had no fucking clue with what was going on in the soil because I was a former chemi-salts guy...what was called 'Bio' back then....circa 1997....lost...no clue...)

Got lazy didn't flush...noticed absolutely no difference.

Used to ph everything....used Maxi-Crop....Alaskan Fish......but that was the worst of it...besides Superthrive.

Then I handed it over to nature somewhere in 2001 with my first 'water only' mixes....but still ph'd the water!!!!!

After that I came to IC....and then I ran into Coot,MM and the rest of these guys that a lot of you guys don't know anymore because they never come around anymore....and my game bumped up a few levels~

CC1

Seandawg

I remember when the 'flush' thing came along......and all my friends said,"did you flush?"....and I said,"yeah"...because I did.

I thought I had to.

Then I started not flushing my organic soil mix (which I had no fucking clue what was going on in the soil because I was a former chemi-salts guy...what was called 'Bio' back then....circa 1997....lost...no clue...)

Used to ph everything....used Maxi-Crop....Alaskan Fish......but that was the worst of it...besides Superthrive.

Then I handed it over to nature somewhere in 2001 with my first 'water only' mixes....but still ph'd the water!!!!!

After that I came to IC....and then I ran into Coot,MM and the rest of these guys that a lot of you guys don't know anymore because they never come around anymore....and my game bumped up a few levels~

CC1

Gatta love bumpin up the game!

I thought I had to.

Then I started not flushing my organic soil mix (which I had no fucking clue what was going on in the soil because I was a former chemi-salts guy...what was called 'Bio' back then....circa 1997....lost...no clue...)

CC1

this thread alone has bumped my game up more than a few levels. :thank you:

shmalphy

Veteran
Freecycle is a great way to get rid of things. Also, it feels great to give.

I find joy in living an austere life. The universe tends to place the things I need right in front of me.

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

another Ghandi quote

B

bajangreen

Since i started hanging with you guys MY game has bumped up some notches as well. I see natural things and think very differently..............

As i was passing these mushrooms i only ever see these on old decaying wood, so i figured they maybe of some use to me, if they are, can you guys tell me how to process them, do i just soak in water for 2 days or do i put in a ACT or what?

Also a while back i made a soak of nettle + thyme + parsley + rabbit meat (looks like comfrey) it worked well with the plants as a foliar so i stored it, now it turned from algae-green to black-green and it fizzes like a soda when opened. smells the same only stronger. stuff even tinted the plastic bottle its in. Is this safe? what is the reaction that is going on here.

The neem soak looks the same, tinted the plastic bottle its in to, works good as a deterrent but not as a cure.

The eddo leave soak had no effect.

Attachments

• Photo0171.jpg
    Photo0171.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Photo0177.jpg
    Photo0177.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 8
^^^^^

Rabbit meat = Super Dank.....just kidding.

I'm guessing you mean rabbit meal?? Like the stuff you feed rabbits? It is most likely alfalfa with a molasses binder.

As far as the Mushrooms go Jaykush has a thread " harvesting wild materials" or something close to that...I think we talked about morels...so if ya do a search for "morels" it should pop up. Anyways I asked if it was okay to compost mushrooms and the answer was yes. I don't think I would try to make a tea out of them because ALL mushrooms are poisonous to varying degrees. Some false morels contain a substance that is similar to rocket fuel.

RD

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Ain't no Blueberry in these~
No comment......

LOL

BTW, I'm getting the soil amendments to put the garden to rest for the winter and I needed more neem meal. Neem Resource has raised their prices enough to have me look elsewhere like the neem farm in Florida to check prices. Everyone has raised prices on neem meal - the good, bad and worthless.

So I called KIS Organics and their price for the Neem Resource organic neem meal is 10% less than ordering direct. And that was the MSRP!

Support your local suppliers......

CC

Gascanastan

Veteran
No comment......

LOL

BTW, I'm getting the soil amendments to put the garden to rest for the winter and I needed more neem meal. Neem Resource has raised their prices enough to have me look elsewhere like the neem farm in Florida to check prices. Everyone has raised prices on neem meal - the good, bad and worthless.

So I called KIS Organics and their price for the Neem Resource organic neem meal is 10% less than ordering direct. And that was the MSRP!

Support your local suppliers......

CC

It's not often a combination like BO x NLH gets unleashed on the scene.

I have a feeling it has the potential to be a game changer....If taking a glimpse at the parents means anything at all..

Cool word on the neem seed ....I'll have to go pick some up before gets any ideas.

Y

YosemiteSam

I thought I had to.

Then I started not flushing my organic soil mix (which I had no fucking clue with what was going on in the soil because I was a former chemi-salts guy...what was called 'Bio' back then....circa 1997....lost...no clue...)

CC1

It seems I am on a similar path. Kinda in the Albrecht ratios phase right now

No Cal-Mag (i suspect they throw the Mg in just so they don't sell CaNO3 cause then everyone would figure out the game)...no flush.

What I found is that when you run the plant the way GH and others tell you....stupid low pHs...is that the sap is bitter tasting from all the fucking acid. When you go natural you end up with much higher sap pHs and when you chew a fan leaf stem it tastes sweet. When you get that it seems to me no need to flush. The true flavors of the plant come out.

That happens all by itself with living organic soils.

I am so glad I hung in on this thread.

edit...now I just got to get away from the plant of the moment mentality and find some truly timeless genetics

Y

YosemiteSam

It is actually worse than just the price. Most Cal Mags have that stupid 2:1 ratio that dolomite has. So not only is it expensive, it tightens your soil and makes you use retarded amounts of K.

And the saddest part...it ain't even the dumbest thing they sell.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Yosemite Sam

The Cal-Mag 'fixes' are centered around Calcium EDTA (Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid), Magnesium Nitrate and Iron EDTA. This article on chelation using EDTA will demystify this gunk and more importantly explain why the humic acid in compost negates the need (if any) for using EDTA metallic elements.

Keep in mind that the Botanicare brand is a house brand for grow stores serviced by National Garden Wholesale / Sunlight Supply, Inc. which is the primary supplier for grow stores. Other brand names for this company are Sunleaves, Sun System Lightening, et al.

Now watch for their myriad of sock-puppets floating around......

CC

M

MrSterling

Is it possible to get a decent soil moisture meter without breaking the bank? All the results I'm seeing on amazon are wishy-washy on the quality.

A bit off topic (but when has that ever stopped us before?):

Just did day one of a two-day Earthship build seminar and came away with a few interesting things:
1. Sustainability folks, Permaculture folks, and Organics folks don't sit down to design things together nearly enough. The Earthship folks have figured out a remarkably elegant system for creating an off-grid dwelling, but the crop-production aspect is just now starting to get revisited by growers instead of architects, and there is apparently a good bit of demand for knowledgable heads.

2. The guys giving the seminar are aquaponics system designers - I was talking to one about the difference between soil and aqua and out of the blue he said, "you know, if the food supply gets screwed, MMJ growers are gonna be the only ones who eat." Mind you, I didn't say a damn thing about what I grow, but he put it together pretty quickly! I'm interested in learning more about aqua systems, but I hesitated when he told me he's still trying to figure out his P&K sources in bloom...

3. The average organic (vegetable) gardener has never had the financial incentive to self-educate and innovate on the subject the way we have. Even if you could put in 40 hours developing a technique that'll raise your tomato yield 10%, it probably doesn't make sense in a cost/benefit analysis at $5/lb for organic heirlooms. Now at $2500/lb, we'd be stupid not to!

I guess what I've come away with is the rekindled sense that with great knowledge comes great responsibility. We all (or at least I) think about our skills as translating to more/better dank herb, but what we really have become custodians of is the knowledge of a complex kingdom of life that is the primary provider for human energy, food, shelter, and clothing. I'm very well trained to think of this in terms of hemp - but it translates to crops that every Western human spends about 40 hours a week trying to get money to pay someone else for.

Gascanastan

Veteran
Is it possible to get a decent soil moisture meter without breaking the bank? All the results I'm seeing on amazon are wishy-washy on the quality.

.....I use my right index finger. It's developed into the ultimate moisture sensor over the years...... :p

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Speaking of college football, the Colorado Buffalos came to Autzen Stadium in Eugene to prove their metal against the Mighty Ducks and it was dismal.....

Oregon 70 - Colorado 14

The score seems more appropriate for a basketball game, no?

Go Ducks!

Not to be left out, the OSU Beavers are playing WSU Cougars <snerk> right now and it doesn't look good for our neighbors to the north.

Go Beavers!

Speaking of college football, the Colorado Buffalos came to Autzen Stadium in Eugene to prove their metal against the Mighty Ducks and it was dismal.....

Oregon 70 - Colorado 14

The score seems more appropriate for a basketball game, no?

Go Ducks!

Not to be left out, the OSU Beavers are playing WSU Cougars right now and it doesn't look good for our neighbors to the north.

Go Beavers!

The Puffaloes couldn't hang? Its snowboard season, bra - their heads are not exactly 'in the game'. That's what ya get from the nation's #1 party school...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts