What's new

Honduras sativa

48N

Enjoy your trip, enjoy the sun!
Here it's snowing brrrr!!!

What is the Jamaican like? Sativa-dominant hybrid?

b8man

Veteran
I remember the cheap weed you'd buy in bin liners being very similar around Guatemala and Honduras. Speedy and uplifting but quite friendly - similar to my experiences of mexican. Was a bit surprised to see on the Ace site that it's not recommended for anxiety. I think there are more imported american genetics around the islands to cater to the divers - remember it looking too chunky to be local.

If you're traveling around the area, Costa Rica had some interesting differences around the coast but it reminded me more of Jamaican weed. Same with Belize - felt more like Jamaican weed - which given it's location it might well have been.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Enjoy your trip, enjoy the sun!
Here it's snowing brrrr!!!

What is the Jamaican like? Sativa-dominant hybrid?

I think so. I was told they crossed it to increase yields long long time ago. But it's super heavy on the sativa side. The first toke gave me a flashback to the 70s. Had totally forgot the taste. Great uplifting stone. Definitely a daytime smoke. I came with the intention of getting Honduran, but I'm definitely bringing back Jam too.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I remember the cheap weed you'd buy in bin liners being very similar around Guatemala and Honduras. Speedy and uplifting but quite friendly - similar to my experiences of mexican. Was a bit surprised to see on the Ace site that it's not recommended for anxiety. I think there are more imported american genetics around the islands to cater to the divers - remember it looking too chunky to be local.

If you're traveling around the area, Costa Rica had some interesting differences around the coast but it reminded me more of Jamaican weed. Same with Belize - felt more like Jamaican weed - which given it's location it might well have been.

You're right. I'm prone to anxiety if I get to high, especially with sativa, but I got right ripped 4 times so far and haven't seen any black dogs, green monsters, or anything other than fluffy white clouds. Lol.

North American weed and crosses are on the mainland, but they don't pull the males here so the genetics are diluted by mother nature I think. From my experience smoking over the last 45 years, natural weed has always been much more gentle, and not as aggressive as the strains created to rip your eyes out. But I'm on Roatan Island and the tell me it's a shitty place to grow because of the salt air.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I've been back a few days and got my hands on both the Jamaican and Trash seeds.

I was told the Jamaican is imported, but some is grown on the mainland. The Jamaican won't, or will barely grow on the island (Roatan) because of the salt air I'm told. It might be the air, soil, the level of military scanning to keep the island tourist friendly, or a combination of all three. In any case, it comes from the mainland so there's little chance of cross pollination of the Trash.

The Trash grows smaller and faster. I'm told 6 months from seed to harvest, but they aren't big on documentation. I'll know in Oct/Nov because I'm going to try it here. I'm starting them May 1st and moving them out to the greenhouse to harden the week before June 1st, then they'll go out. I'll get some ACE Seeds to compare them.

Tropicalsun

various questions

various questions

Hi All,

I have various unanswered questions about my first grow..
firstly I think I am getting closer to harvest and I am unsure on pretty much everything.
firstly when to harvest..I post the latest photo but will get my good camera on the plant later on to get better photos but you pro's will probably get a good idea. my issue is I am growing in Costa Rica and its hot!! not sure if any of the seedbank or other guides to timelines are in any way accurate to my growing location. so I am going with the jewellers loup..which is bloody difficult to use when standing on a slope with the wind blowing and the plant waving about!! I think all my trichomes are still clear..so still waiting.
secondly drying..
the guides say 50 - 70 temperature...I could probably run a room with AC on 24/7 to keep the temp just under 70 but won't it just pull all the moisture out of the plant too quickly? can I dry at 82? will it dry too quickly?

the honduran seems to love it here, I have had a little leaf mould but I see her everyday so have just been pulling leaves or wiping them.. had a big caterpillar the other day and pulled him off but other than a but of nute burn and some heat damage she's been good as gold..

so question 1. does anyone have any tropical weather growing advice or can you send me somewhere that I havent found yet?

2. how do I dry / cure in a hot climate?

Attachments

• IMG_2186.jpg
    IMG_2186.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2185.jpg
    IMG_2185.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 60

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Hi All,

I have various unanswered questions about my first grow..
firstly I think I am getting closer to harvest and I am unsure on pretty much everything.
firstly when to harvest..I post the latest photo but will get my good camera on the plant later on to get better photos but you pro's will probably get a good idea. my issue is I am growing in Costa Rica and its hot!! not sure if any of the seedbank or other guides to timelines are in any way accurate to my growing location. so I am going with the jewellers loup..which is bloody difficult to use when standing on a slope with the wind blowing and the plant waving about!! I think all my trichomes are still clear..so still waiting.
secondly drying..
the guides say 50 - 70 temperature...I could probably run a room with AC on 24/7 to keep the temp just under 70 but won't it just pull all the moisture out of the plant too quickly? can I dry at 82? will it dry too quickly?

the honduran seems to love it here, I have had a little leaf mould but I see her everyday so have just been pulling leaves or wiping them.. had a big caterpillar the other day and pulled him off but other than a but of nute burn and some heat damage she's been good as gold..

so question 1. does anyone have any tropical weather growing advice or can you send me somewhere that I havent found yet?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but drying temperature isn't the critical part. Humidity is. I'm in Canada, and humidity is ALWAYS about 80% RH at harvest time, so I line a 500 square foot shed with vapor barrier (plastic) and put in two 70 liter dehumidifyers. I should be good for 5000 square feet, but they go all day long because it's not a sealed room, and the additional humidity from the plants is substancial.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
firstly when to harvest..

question 1. does anyone have any tropical weather growing advice or can you send me somewhere that I havent found yet?

There are still white hairs all over that plant. When all of those die back, its time to harvest. Drying and curing in a hot climate is easy so long as the humidity is lower than 70% Hang the plants up, wait for the stems to snap (not bend). Toss them in a jar when they do.

Tropicalsun

There are still white hairs all over that plant. When all of those die back, its time to harvest. Drying and curing in a hot climate is easy so long as the humidity is lower than 70% Hang the plants up, wait for the stems to snap (not bend). Toss them in a jar when they do.

will do!! thank you I will update

Tropicalsun

grow update

grow update

as promised a photo with a better camera...well not my phone!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-03-17 at 08.48.22.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-03-17 at 08.48.22.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 40

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Beauty.

I till see a lot of white hairs. When they dry then it'll be really close. Set your camera to take the highest quality pictures it can. That should be enough to let you zoom into the picture to see the trichrome.

Tropicalsun

2% amber trichomes

2% amber trichomes

Beauty.

I till see a lot of white hairs. When they dry then it'll be really close. Set your camera to take the highest quality pictures it can. That should be enough to let you zoom into the picture to see the trichrome.

this is taken with a loupe and my iPhone!! not bad.
with the loupe I am starting to see some amber trichomes...should I harvest??
or wait for 20% or what percentage?

Attachments

• Trichomes.jpg
    Trichomes.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 31

Tropicalsun

more pics

more pics

Im getting better at taking these pics!

Attachments

• Trichomes 17.05 copy.jpg
    Trichomes 17.05 copy.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Trichomes 3..jpg
    Trichomes 3..jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 28

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Keep in mind that the trichs you touch will turn amber first and handling the flower doesn't give you the best info. Also, the THC in the trichs will convert to CBN as they go amber. That's what gives you that nice couch lock with Indicas (personally, I hate couch lock unless it's bedtime. Then give me lots. lol). I don't know what it does to Sativas.

However, white hairs and amber trichomes seems to happen with some late satives. Especially when they've been cut with early indicas.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=349482

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=327539

I'd dry a bud in the oven and smoke it. It'll be harsh as fuck without a cure, but you'll know what the stone is like. Besides.... I know you want to try some. lol

If you get a good rush, and you like it, then start harvesting.

I suspect the stuff I got in Honduras was picked as soon as the bud swelling stopped and some hairs started going brown. Meaning clear to cloudy thrics. But I'm not sure. If it is, expect a very clear high.

Let us know what the high is like. I want to know!

Peace.

Tropicalsun

testing stage 1

testing stage 1

Keep in mind that the trichs you touch will turn amber first and handling the flower doesn't give you the best info. Also, the THC in the trichs will convert to CBN as they go amber. That's what gives you that nice couch lock with Indicas (personally, I hate couch lock unless it's bedtime. Then give me lots. lol). I don't know what it does to Sativas.

However, white hairs and amber trichomes seems to happen with some late satives. Especially when they've been cut with early indicas.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=349482

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=327539

I'd dry a bud in the oven and smoke it. It'll be harsh as fuck without a cure, but you'll know what the stone is like. Besides.... I know you want to try some. lol

If you get a good rush, and you like it, then start harvesting.

I suspect the stuff I got in Honduras was picked as soon as the bud swelling stopped and some hairs started going brown. Meaning clear to cloudy thrics. But I'm not sure. If it is, expect a very clear high.

Let us know what the high is like. I want to know!

Peace.

So I cut a couple of sample buds yesterday and now they start to dry which might be quick as its hot right now in Costa Rica.
I'm trying to keep them below 80!!I give them some indirect AC to keep the room below 80 and at night its just about ok..
Humidity drops to 40 when the AC is on and lower during the day when its hot and dry.
You will see the buds drying and the plant after her trim still looking pretty good!
so i dried a little in the oven and left it overnight in a jar to halt any drying further I guessed?? then opened the jar this morning as the humidity was at 99% and the Jar was sweaty but 3 hours later and it was a little overdry but ground and then smoked nice enough.

Its strong enough for me and I like to smoke, very heady high so I think I might leave the rest of the plant in the ground for now.

I read somewhere that 30-40% Amber Trichomes was a good guide for Sativa's...can anyone advise me on that?
Right now the plant has 5% Amber maybe...

the night time photo is the Main Cola (obvs)

Great Seeds thanks Dubi!

Attachments

• IMG_2256.jpg
    IMG_2256.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2255.jpg
    IMG_2255.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2257.jpg
    IMG_2257.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 58

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
So I cut a couple of sample buds yesterday and now they start to dry which might be quick as its hot right now in Costa Rica.
I'm trying to keep them below 80!!I give them some indirect AC to keep the room below 80 and at night its just about ok..
Humidity drops to 40 when the AC is on and lower during the day when its hot and dry.
You will see the buds drying and the plant after her trim still looking pretty good!
so i dried a little in the oven and left it overnight in a jar to halt any drying further I guessed?? then opened the jar this morning as the humidity was at 99% and the Jar was sweaty but 3 hours later and it was a little overdry but ground and then smoked nice enough.

Its strong enough for me and I like to smoke, very heady high so I think I might leave the rest of the plant in the ground for now.

I read somewhere that 30-40% Amber Trichomes was a good guide for Sativa's...can anyone advise me on that?
Right now the plant has 5% Amber maybe...

the night time photo is the Main Cola (obvs)

Great Seeds thanks Dubi!

AC does remove humidity, and you can see that by the water running out the back of the unit. While the temperature doesn't matter much, the humidity absolutely does. It's hard for me to control because I dry in a shed and fight to keep the humidity between 60-75. They say the slower the dry, the better. My target is to dry in 5-7 days, but I've jared in 3. The faster I dry, the more burping I have to do once they're in the jar.

Keep in mind that THC is highest when all the trichomes are cloudy. It's all downhill from there. I harvest when amber starts showing up. But that's just me.

Frigging nice plant BTW!

Tropicalsun

Harvest

Harvest

AC does remove humidity, and you can see that by the water running out the back of the unit. While the temperature doesn't matter much, the humidity absolutely does. It's hard for me to control because I dry in a shed and fight to keep the humidity between 60-75. They say the slower the dry, the better. My target is to dry in 5-7 days, but I've jared in 3. The faster I dry, the more burping I have to do once they're in the jar.

Keep in mind that THC is highest when all the trichomes are cloudy. It's all downhill from there. I harvest when amber starts showing up. But that's just me.

Frigging nice plant BTW!

Thank you for the advice..
so this afternoon I checked all the Trichomes and they look great all over the plant so I just went for it and Timber!
wet weight of 800gms!!
so I'm guessing nearly 200 of dry!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts