What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fusarium or verticillium?

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Fusarium is like the Black Plague -
it starts off transmitting by contact(soil) then the infected plant becomes a spore factory --pumping out spores 24/7 billions and billions of spores.

I too think it can be beaten but not once infections happens. I think a healthy plant and a healthy soil can resist Fusarium but once Fusarium has taken root there is no saving it. As such, i could never stop growing org

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I hope these beans work out for you... I have investigated tissue culture and I don't see this as an option for me, far too advanced... So I am going to try Selfing as a way of preserving my genetics... So we are sure that the fusarium is not passed on to the seeds, besides the obvious that there could be spores on the outside of the seed shell?

Thcvhunter

Veteran
No, I'm not sure. Actually, if there's one anthropomorhic (sp?) fungus I would say it would be Fusarium Oxy.

I still am on the fence - but I'm not going to risk your garden with my advice so I will say that there are those that say Fusarium gets into the seed.

That being said, If it were me I may self the plants, tear down and sanitize, in a couple weeks start up. Plant companion/cover crops and keep brewing AACT's and SST's to get the microbiology fighting in your corner for you. Then sprout only the infected seeds - if any show Dampening-Off (fusarium) then toss those and the soil they're in. If after a couple flowering cycles you don't see any Fusarium in flower then introduce 'healthy' genetics.
I would say this would be the safest route.

rod58

certainly sounds like fusarium and i was always of the opinion that seeds do carry over the fungus ...

RetroGrow

Veteran
I hope these beans work out for you... I have investigated tissue culture and I don't see this as an option for me, far too advanced... So I am going to try Selfing as a way of preserving my genetics... So we are sure that the fusarium is not passed on to the seeds, besides the obvious that there could be spores on the outside of the seed shell?

It doesn't infect the seeds. Spores can be on the outside of the seeds, but that's it. You can use Mycostop to prevent this, or Actinovate, or start your seeds in Lightwarrior, as already posted. Lightwarrior is the only way I start seeds.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Yes sorry for asking again, there is a lot of uncertainty re fusarium. I have never experienced wilting plants or xylem discoloration. The only symptom really is brown necrotic root tissue. So I am wondering if the bennies have suppressed the disease to a point and prevented it from becoming fully systemic? Thanx for the help from peeps so far!

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
My understanding is that the beneficial microbes colonize the root surfaces which leaves no space for the fusarium to get a foothold. Once the plant is infected then it's a different story. I don't see how the products I've read about could suppress an internal infection down to a low level. Are there any beneficial microbes on the market which go systemic in their host?

I don't think the labs are doing any kind of DNA based identification of the organism. From what I've read it's just a lab technician looking into a microscope and matching what he/she sees up to images of different fungal and spore samples. There are over a hundred known species of fusarium. The particles observed through a microscope led to the identification of your sample as Fusarium oxysporum, which in itself may be a group that shows a lot of diversity. You may just have a less virulent form of the oxysporum population.

When a pathogen infects a new host species the results are often brutal. But immediately killing your host can be a bad strategy for an infectious agent. Disease organisms usually die with their hosts. So those microbes which cause a low level infection that allows the host to live, continue to have a place for the infectious organisms to reproduce and be released to infect other hosts. So there is an evolutionary pressure to select for less virulence. When all the plants in a room drop dead, the grower is going to do a major clean up and take preventative actions. If the plants just limp along though, then they can continue to produce spores which infect others while the puzzled grower takes no actions to prevent further infections. ...Just thinking out loud here.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Nice contribution, Crusader Rabbit.

I remember when i was researching Fusarium that there's a big difference between active and winterized spores.
So the active spores are from the living but infect plant. These land on other plants and infect them.
Winterized is when the plant is so infected that the roots exude the pathogen into the soil. This winterized spore is a bitch.
The winterizing/hibernating spore is why i advocate growing cover crops in your soil before adding cannabis - so u can assess how healthy your soil is

TheOutlawTree

All of my new plants are looking nice with one batch that may or may not be infected. The possible infected cuts sat in their tray of Rock wool plugs for 2 days before I transplanted. The plugs were doused with actinovate upon arrival though. Plants were sent to lab and I should know by end of week if anything is infected.

Most of the plants look great. They were transplanted with myco and I've watered in root shield a couple different times. I'm going to start brewing teas once a week as well for foliar and root drenches. I picked up all these cuts from friends so nothing was cloned at my place.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Outlaw, do you use Pro-tekt or any source of silica? Good stuff for plant immunity.

I'd like to just say that using lots of minerals, Protekt, SST's, and Ful-Power has given me my healthiest run in 9 years.
Super happy, super healthy

TheOutlawTree

Outlaw, do you use Pro-tekt or any source of silica? Good stuff for plant immunity.

I'd like to just say that using lots of minerals, Protekt, SST's, and Ful-Power has given me my healthiest run in 9 years.
Super happy, super healthy

Yeah i do use silica. I also use roots excel, and diamond black to go along with my GH 3 part. Once every 7-10 days they get a feeding of thrive alive b-1 red as well.

Just transplanted another 40 GG#4. I was very happy with these- I paid 20$ a piece which is expensive but they were all in solo cups about a foot tall- and the roots were very nice. The grower has a weekly routine with OG biowar.

Poked around for a while tonight in the grow room. I did find a couple plants that had similar burn marks as last grow. Ill try and get pictures of them next time. Ive got my fingers crossed that they are fusarium free but im not going to get my hopes up just yet until the lab tests come back. I wish the test was cheaper- im being charged 75$ per sample :(

Thcvhunter

Veteran
GG#4. I was very happy with these- I paid 20$ a piece which is expensive

Wasn't GG#4 supposed to be like FFA, a free super-strain for everybody?
Even if grown by your guy for a few weeks, that's a lot of $

By burn marks, on your other plants, do you mean like the Fusarium "phantom deficiency"?

TheOutlawTree

Wasn't GG#4 supposed to be like FFA, a free super-strain for everybody?
Even if grown by your guy for a few weeks, that's a lot of $

By burn marks, on your other plants, do you mean like the Fusarium "phantom deficiency"?

Yeah i think gg4 was supposed to be spread around with love- but we all know that doesnt happen. GG4 clones are in very high demand right now here in california, especially since its spring. I see rooted cuts of gg4 in rockwool selling for 10-20 a piece all over the place.

Yes im seeing what may be fusarium "phantom deficiency" on some of the plants.... Twisty leaves, burn marks that look like heat stress. Theres a chance there infected because they were not in good health for the start of their life- the clones i picked up at end of march were pretty much left for dead, and i planned to toss them- but they slowly came back- and they looked OK after their transplant but after 2 weeks they appear to be getting that lighter green color again- and leaves have that "canoe" look to them. It could just be me being paranoid, ill know for sure by the end of the week from the lab.

RetroGrow

Veteran
My understanding is that the beneficial microbes colonize the root surfaces which leaves no space for the fusarium to get a foothold.

That's right to a certain extent. Miccorrhizae provide this function, but trichoderma are predators and eat fusarium, botyritis, etc. Used together, they are a powerful defense, but you need to start with the micorrhizae, or the trichoderma will eat them too. Aspirin is a big help here, boosting the plant's natural immune system.
I use aspirin religiously, Lightwarrior for micorrhizae for starts, then transplanted to coco with it's trichoderma. If you have an active infection, Actinovate will knock it back. If you use aspirin, and/or aloe, and the bennies, you will probably never get fusarium.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Retro, you're still posting?

You remind me of another grower who loves to give out incomplete advice thinking he is the town savior.

Trichoderma and Myco, and Azos, are far from being the only beneficial microbes that we use to battle Fusarium. In fact, my posts have been in the aim of giving additional tactics that are not the droll "throw some more Azos, Trichos, and Mycos on there, man" -- everytime I hear this I am reminded of the big showdown/test scene in Billy Madison when the Principle says to Billy that at no point did he make any sense, we are all dumber for listening to him, and may god have mercy on his soul. I love that scene.

Anyway, one could actually outcompete Fusarium without ANY Myco, Azo, or Tricho; you just need to do your research.... Like I keep saying, check out the big time / successful Nursery operators - they know their shit/science.
Scientific literature about Fusarium really boomed in the 1980's, so there's a plethera of info. Intrestingly, the British publish/study a lot about Fusarium as their Cold/Wet weather causes devastating Fusarium loss to many of Britain's cash crops.

And the aspirin, not really something to recommend -- if you were to take a grower under your wing and actually have him stand next to you as you show him how to properly use Aspirin without freaking out the plants, sure... but on forums that's kind of an odd call considering everything you need from aspirin can be found in Aloe and Coconut and those won't mess up anyone's garden (though aloe ferments quickly once you've made the solution)

RetroGrow

Veteran
Retro, you're still posting?

Yup. Why wouldn't I be? Because you think you know something about anything? I can't tell from your posts. You come off as pretty clueless. This is really a simple "problem", and easily dealt with using proper IPM.

Trichoderma and Myco, and Azos, are far from being the only beneficial microbes that we use to battle Fusarium.
Did I say that? Nope! And , if you were paying attention, instead of looking for it, you would know that. But the things I have posted have always worked for me. I guess that's why I don't have fusarium.

And the aspirin, not really something to recommend

It's evident from this stupid comment that you have no idea what you are babbling about. But babble on. I'm sure you are impressing yourself. I find you both clueless and boorish. Since you're obtuse, I will leave you with these comments, which have been posted many times, about the benefits of aspirin:

"Salicylic acid (from Latin salix, willow tree, from the bark of which the substance used to be obtained) is a
monohydroxybenzoic acid, a type of phenolic acid and a beta hydroxy acid. It has the formula C7H6O3. This colorless crystalline organic acid is widely used in organic synthesis and functions as a plant hormone.
Salicylic acid (SA) is a phenolic phytohormone and is found in plants with roles in plant growth and development, photosynthesis, transpiration, ion uptake and transport. SA also induces specific changes in leaf anatomy and chloroplast structure. SA is involved in endogenous signaling, mediating in
plant defense against pathogens. It plays a role in the
resistance to pathogens by inducing the production of
pathogenesis-related proteins. It is involved in the systemic acquired resistance (SAR) in which a pathogenic attack on one part of the plant induces resistance in other parts. The signal can also move to nearby plants by salicylic acid being converted to the volatile ester, methyl salicylate."

It's evident you've never tried it, or you would not have made such a stupid comment.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
with anything once you get far into it it gets really messy really fast. i dont envy anyone who is late to the punch with this. most people get plant diseases. for each one of them there is a first time. things can get out of hand when you dont know what you are looking at.
my suggestion of ridimil gold is for last ditch when all else fails and you are saving genetics, i wouldnt use on veg plants or any other consumable plant. it would be for taking cuttings from once the systemics are circulating to clear the diseases from the genetic stock and start over. make new moms from the new clones.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
I know that a lot of people have used Ridomil with good results. I used it, but it had no apparent effect on my plants. Maybe the infection was too far along in my case. I do know that people have been misusing it in their reservoirs as a preventative, and as a result there are now resistant strains of fusarium out there.