What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fusarium or verticillium?

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Again, if spores are everywhere, and plants can combat Fusarium with a healthy immune system, why is anyone continuously preaching the unsafe practice of heating a room up to140deg?

RetroGrow

Veteran
Skip the Asprin (risky) and add a 1/4 tsp of aloe powder to each watering immediately before watering

Really? How is it risky?
Oh, that's right. It's not!
Aloe has salicylic acid in it.
I guess that must be risky too?
You are clueless.
Salicylic acid (SA) is a phenolic phytohormone and is found in plants with roles in plant growth and development, photosynthesis, transpiration, ion uptake and transport. SA also induces specific changes in leaf anatomy and chloroplast structure.[which?] SA is involved in endogenous signaling, mediating in plant defense against pathogens. It plays a role in the resistance to pathogens by inducing the production of pathogenesis-related proteins. It is involved in the systemic acquired resistance (SAR) in which a pathogenic attack on one part of the plant induces resistance in other parts. The signal can also move to nearby plants by salicylic acid being converted to the volatile ester, methyl salicylate

RetroGrow

Veteran
Again, if spores are everywhere, and plants can combat Fusarium with a healthy immune system, why is anyone continuously preaching the unsafe practice of heating a room up to140deg?

How is heating an empty room unsafe?
Again, you are clueless.

RetroGrow

Veteran
You're posting BS, and I noticed you didn't answer the questions. If you don't know what you are talking about, you probably shouldn't be posting.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Ignore the town drunk.
He's a master of a Google search and has zero pictures to prove any of his babble
.. nobody is disliked more on this entire site than him

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I posted pics of my garden getting hit by Fusarium. Then i also have pics up of my healthy grows after the Fusarium.

I know quite a bit about beting Fusarium.
1- its not the end if the world.
2- its easy to erradicate and even easier to prevent.
3-grow room safety ought to be more important than ANY grow. An awesome grow is pointless if on the last day the whole place catches fire.

Let's keep this all friendly. We are all family anyway

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I posted pics of my garden getting hit by Fusarium. Then i also have pics up of my healthy grows after the Fusarium.

I know quite a bit about beting Fusarium.
1- its not the end if the world.
2- its easy to erradicate and even easier to prevent.
3-grow room safety ought to be more important than ANY grow. An awesome grow is pointless if on the last day the whole place catches fire.

Let's keep this all friendly. We are all family anyway
I don't think SS is referring to you!

RetroGrow

Veteran
Ignore the town drunk.
He's a master of a Google search and has zero pictures to prove any of his babble
.. nobody is disliked more on this entire site than him

Said the pathological liar who manufactured the imaginary pathogens, phytoplasmas and stem nematodes, so that he could come up with an imaginary cure, when all along, all he had was fusarium. The "Dud King '', growing Iranian ditch weed. Worst looking garbage I have ever seen. My troll, Stormshitforbrains.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Hahahaha.

All good.

Much Love.

(Don't cook your soil - you're just killing all the microbes we've been working hard to propagate)

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
From the first pic the medium looks wet and no aeration/drainage. Improve the medium with excellent aeration and drainage so it is not waterlogged and a breeding ground... Add fresh myco and beneficials to combat it. Good luck.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Oh man, Mr. Belvedere reminding me of my youth, and my grandmother.
Much love.

Great input as well ;)

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
if spores are your issue the heat treatment is a great idea actually. fans and more fans, move air to every nook and cranny. this of course gets more difficult the bigger your space is but not if you are covering the entire room with canopy. i that case it shouldnt be too hard. i got my room to 150 this way.

heres a tip. pvc irrigation gets soft near lights. causes seam leaks. i have irrigation pipes on the ceiling floor and wall. when i turned on my system i had a few leaks to fix.a garden hose failed at the male coupling. not a big dea.l took an hour to fix but it was easy.

obviously you shouldnt leave unattended, but its fairly safe to do if you use common sense. it is a kill all. anything living smaller than a beatle will die.bacteria mold fungus bugs etc.

that said

uv lights in coils are essential. if you arent rocking this feature youre wasting your money and time cleaning those units.
my blowers looked like the inside of a 3 month old bagged lunch. put in uv colis and its clean all the time. nothing lives in there. keeps ambient air clean too.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
A test identified fusarium as the culprit for me last week. Decided to shut down and clean out. I am gonna try save genetics by selfing my favourite cut as well as cloning. Guess I will have to learn tissue culture too... Oh well!

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Did the lab results identify the species of fusarium? Oxysporum or solani?

I closed down my last grow because I thought the plants were all infected, but turns out the wilting lower leaves might have been from under watering. I was misjudging the water content when I hefted the larger of my soil filled containers. I'm used to coco, and the few big pots were of different volumes so it was hard for me to compare. When I was dumping the containers into the trash I found the rootballs to be much much drier than I thought. So there is the possibility that I was having pH and watering issues and the plants could have been healthier than I thought. Maybe the RootShield was doing its job after all? Yes, I can be an idiot.

I'm very interested in this study which found a greatly reduced fusarium infection rate in watermelon fields which had a fall vetch crop plowed under. Vetch may have an allopathic (chemical inhibition) effect upon competing neighbor plants, and it appears that these defenses extend to fighting off fusarium. I bought vetch seed and may use it as a cover crop in large no till soil filled containers. I definitely will plant vetch out back and harvest it to put in a blender and make a vetch based soil drench.

http://www.plantmanagementnetwork.org/pub/php/research/2006/watermelon/

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I still suspect that it can be beaten, even in heavily infected plants, I just don't have the time to experiment. I had several runs that looked like they were improving!

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Taking a cutting from an upper terminal branch tip might get you an uninfected clone. Supposedly it can work with viruses.

I don't know how much air borne spores are involved. Even in totally devastated plants I examined the surfaces with a magnifier and couldn't identify anything that looked like a spore producing structure. No apparent fungal growth on the outer surface of the plant. Container runoff must be loaded with spores though since it is a root infection. I think fusarium produces three different types of reproductive particles. I'm going to emphasize growing systems that allow me to isolate plants from each others runoff.