What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fusarium or verticillium?

RetroGrow

Veteran
Hey retro- I did use soil for the last batch of clones I received, but I grow indoors with Coco. So other than the first 4x4 pot of soil- the media is coco. Usually I just use coco the entire time.

I tried heating my room and I got it to around 130 degrees- I saw a couple Gavita's shut off randomly when it was getting around 130, so I just shut everything off. I was scared of starting a fire.

I am using Chitosan, but haven't used anything else. I grow indoors at this location and I don't think any of the neighbors are growers.

I wouldn't doubt the DEA thing man.. They certainly liked to harass me when I lived on the east coast, part of the reason I moved here to be legal.

Try aspirin on a couple of plants that are sagging. Watch them perk up in 12 hours or less. Can't hurt. 325 Mg. per gallon as a drench, or you can do foliar spray. I prefer drench. In coco, the uptake is quick. I have seen plants turn right around from dying to praying in 12 hours after aspirin drench. Must be uncoated aspirin.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
the gavitas have a master control. youll have to find a way to bypass the thrmostat that dims the lights to maintain or a high temp shut off it has programmed.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Another good product used for preventing fursarium is called prestop, it's a biological product out of finland came down in price in the last year or so, similar to rootshield, works well as a stem drench as well to get the beneficial on the stem and protect the crown of the plant, can be applied foliar for mildew prevention but I imagine this would only be good for veg and it will need luke warm water and paint mixer to dissolve proper depending on how much you need.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
None taken. I was thinking I was being slighted by someone else. It's fine and i was wrong. the post was misinterpreted by me. Apologies for getting defensive. I missed a post and didn't realize it. I get ruffled too easily sometimes. Everyone on the thread is smRt and being helpful and sincere, sorry I was trippin.

Ganja baba

Veteran
Yes sorry for asking again, there is a lot of uncertainty re fusarium. I have never experienced wilting plants or xylem discoloration. The only symptom really is brown necrotic root tissue. So I am wondering if the bennies have suppressed the disease to a point and prevented it from becoming fully systemic? Thanx for the help from peeps so far!

Hi mate this may work , when we all got powery mildew in the UK quite some years ago now , we tried every thing then came up with a solution with was a systemic anti fungle treatment , the active chemical was also found in eagle 2000 so I told a few members here and the rest is history , any ways I noticed some interesting things when using the systemic fungaside .
Plants that apart from having powdery mildew once sorayed seemed to sort other issues out I didn't know I had some would say tobacco virus , but I'm talking about a healthy plant that until treated I wasn't aware had been ill in some way ,
I'm pretty convinced if you tried a systemic fungaside like egael 2000 it or rose clear in the UK you would stand a good chance of saving your favourite strains , I would also be interested to see what it does in an infected older plant , you have to fight this from the inside out , or like some one else mentioned take a tip of the top of the plant , it probably won't work unless you root it in coco though ,
I would colonise me coco or soil for three weeks prior to using it with extra techoderma,
Another thing you can do is if your weather permits , plants as healthy plants as you have out side directly into the ground and let Mother Nature fight the fusarium .

Ganja baba

Veteran
You are in soil, correct? Just asking because soil is the original source of fusarium. Then once it spreads into your environment, spores are everywhere. Heat treating the room would probably be the only way to rid the premises in that situation. I understand it is easier said than done, especially in a large room/space. Are you using immune system boosters? SA, chitosan, aloe, humics & fulvics? It could also be that there are newer, more resistant strains brewing in Cali due to so many growers and so much clone trading/selling. Have you considered testing clones before bringing them into your space? Are others in your area having the same issues? Wondering if the DEA could be releasing weaponized fusarium, even though it is prohibited. From my reading, it's very difficult even for an experienced technician to positively identify the specific strain.
It seems like there is one plague after another out there. Mind numbing.

A sulphur candle will work this is not a sulphur burner they are to weak , looks like a little paint tin you light , it's will kill any living thing in the room , that is with no plants or soil in the room , this will kill absolutely every thing bugs mites any bacteria will all die , leave the room for 24 hours then return and start with new plants or treated and quarantined plants and every thing will be fine , leave any equipment in the room that may have fusarium on it ,

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Just did a web search on sulfur candles. Everything for sale was out of the UK.
This one site was in the UK, but the candles are priced in US dollars... $11.16 plus $5.00 shipping

http://www.amazon.com/William-Sincl...id=1432263367&sr=8-1&keywords=Sulphur+Candles

A guy named Dave Cushman gives instructions on how to make your own sulfur candles;

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/fumcandle.html

http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/spcndl.html

Another site is selling garlic candles which are supposedly less toxic and provide ambiance;

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/product.asp?id_pc=13&cat=25

Sounds like the fumes from sulfur candles could tarnish the reflective surfaces of grow lights.

Ganja baba

Veteran
Just did a web search on sulfur candles. Everything for sale was out of the UK.
This one site was in the UK, but the candles are priced in US dollars... $11.16 plus $5.00 shipping

http://www.amazon.com/William-Sincl...id=1432263367&sr=8-1&keywords=Sulphur+Candles

A guy named Dave Cushman gives instructions on how to make your own sulfur candles;

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/fumcandle.html

http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/spcndl.html

Another site is selling garlic candles which are supposedly less toxic and provide ambiance;

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/product.asp?id_pc=13&cat=25

Sounds like the fumes from sulfur candles could tarnish the reflective surfaces of grow lights.

To be honest I havnt noticed residue being a problem , I've started throwing my shades away after four uses now days just because of the natural diminished shade surfaces , I just know that with this stuff and the systemic spray all my problems went away .

TheOutlawTree

What do you know... It looks like blue dream is dealing with fusarium the best so far, such a bullet-proof strain. Its a little to early to tell though, at week 6.

Im just starting to see the pistils burning up on my guerilla glues, but the sour d, and blue dream's pistils are still going strong and are white.

Last round- at week 7 the sour d pistils burnt up almost overnight and top growth was stunted.

Theres a chance blue dream is somewhat resistant to fusarium... I will keep everyone posted. Some of the lower leaves on the BD are showing signs of fusarium but flower growth and most of the plant has not slowed down.

If you look up the strain of tomato "Cherokee purple" that is resistant to fusarium, the pathogen will make a small number of leaves on the plant die off at the bottom- but the fruit's and most of the plant look fine. A very similar look to what's happening on the blue dream plants- its there for sure, but not doing any damage yet.

TheOutlawTree

blue dream in center table, If you look on edge of picture to the right that's GG4, and table to left of blue dream is Sour D. You can see the fading / yellowing of the upper leaves just starting to take over.

Attachments

• Week 6 013.jpg
    Week 6 013.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

panick503

Hey good job on u for keeping this shit in check bud. I was under the impression that fusarium is a death sentence, but ur certainly showing otherwise. Thanks for updating the thread too...

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
I found blue dream to be resistant to dudding but in one extreme case not immune. Saw it flower with duds over and over and consistently produce except once. I know it's sorta unrelated but i could see that plant bouncing back from just about anything. Except spider mites. She was a magnet for those little fucks. Not that I get too freaked out or even tolerate them in my garden anymore. I loved growing that strain.

TheOutlawTree

I found blue dream to be resistant to dudding but in one extreme case not immune. Saw it flower with duds over and over and consistently produce except once. I know it's sorta unrelated but i could see that plant bouncing back from just about anything. Except spider mites. She was a magnet for those little fucks. Not that I get too freaked out or even tolerate them in my garden anymore. I loved growing that strain.

Yeah, I have also heard blue dream is a spider mite magnet- but that's really her only weakness, other than a lower market value because so many people grow it.

After seeing the way she performs against fusarium, I think its a no brainer. Next round will probably be all blue dream except maybe 1 table of experimental strains. I am eager to beat this fusarium and will continue the battle but I'll rest much easier at night knowing its blue dream in there.

I think my only option after this round, is going to be a heat treatment- I've got to get the room up to 150 degrees for 2 hours...Just have to figure out the best way to do it without burning this place down!

TheOutlawTree

I figured I would update my battle with the F. Oxysporum. Last round I still hit just over 2# per gavita but It should be more like 3.

I cleaned room very well again after harvest. Dressed up in my raincoat and respirator and sprayed 33% hydrogen peroxide on all hydro tables, reservoirs, floor etc. I soaked anything that stayed in the room in physan 20 for 2 days (PH pen, PPM meter, small bottled nutrients). I ran a commercial Ozone generator for 2 full days in there. After the Ozone I was finally able to get the room up to 150 F for about 20 mins until my salamander stopped working properly.

Since its summer I was able to get my plants about 2ft tall outdoors before bringing them into the room. They looked really nice outside and I had inoculated them very heavily with microbial life and a couple OG biowar tea's both foliar and drenches.

I brought them into the room and I thought I finally killed all the spores. The plants continued to thrive for about 7 days but started to get the leaf taco upwards- looked sort of similar to broad mite damage.

It wasn't until a couple days after I transplanted them all into their 5g pots that I knew they were all infected again. I had cleaned all the pots very thoroughly after harvest. They were scrubbed with physan 20, Sprayed with 33% peroxide, and left in my room to heat up... And spores must have survived somehow on the pots, or just got infected from the air again. I feel like an idiot for not spending 500$ on new pots. However, It could have came back from other sources as well, like the air.

So here I am with infected GG#4 plants again. I've been battling this pathogen for over a year at this point. I am losing 20-30% yield from it, but its not a complete devastation.

After next round I may gut my grow room and buy new tables, reservoirs, pumps, dehumidifiers, etc. Its a very tough call though- I have already lost a ton of $ on this battle and it would really hurt to spend more on new stuff only to see plants become infected again!

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Look into using an inoculant to kill the Fusarium

I've been talking to antonio Baccus of Modern Microbes and he says his product will eliminate Fusarium.

TheOutlawTree, do you have cold air or cold water in your grow? Cold, wet soil promotes Fusarium