What's new

Heya, I'm starting back up again, with a new home

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The truth is, I spent two years failing to grow anything I would risk consuming, and only recently, in February, had my first harvest that I am proud of (for indoor anyway). It took me a long time, and a lot of depression throwing whole plants away, that it's a miracle I didn't give up. But I'm pretty much set now, looking at my results of the past 9 grows.
With every failure, there's a big opportunity to learn something if one learns and doesn't quit. Mistakes are what make a good grower when they learn from them. The more mistakes the more the knowledge. I have f__ked up plenty of times in the past and lost a lot of weed to a point. I don't lose any now because of what I have learned from all my past mistakes. Good luck and happy growing friend.

resimax

With every failure, there's a big opportunity to learn something if one learns and doesn't quit. Mistakes are what make a good grower when they learn from them. The more mistakes the more the knowledge. I have f__ked up plenty of times in the past and lost a lot of weed to a point. I don't lose any now because of what I have learned from all my past mistakes. Good luck and happy growing friend.
Well said. As I said in my opening post, I like experimenting a lot, and learning more than anything. I think I learned more about growing by combating these problems the last 2 years, than all of my 21 year (outdoor) experience combined, and much better equipped to handle problems as they occur. Without failure, there is no success. Or, there might be, but then you might be stumped one day and have to do a lot of trial and error anyway. I like growing and learning more than the end result. It's all fun to me, failure or not, if I learn something new!

resimax

Full disclosure: I'm a computer programmer and overall science geek, and have always been obsessed with solving complex problems.

The single most important thing I learned is a bit controversial: take every piece of advice from fellow growers with a grain of salt. Nobody knows my environment better than me, and one small variable they didn't account for in their wisdom could (and did) make things worse.

Of course, science is all about sharing knowledge, so there is a flipside to that as well, but I try to learn on my own by combining knowledge from multiple sources, and my own trial and error.

Persianfarmer

Thanks so much for the compliment!

You and I will get along just fine I think, as I am planning to use leftover boiled rice water as it does seem to do wonders, and as far as the sprout tea, what I have on hand, and seems to do a fairly good job, is barley and alfalfa. I will need to read up again on how to make a good LAB solution, as it's been a while.

As far as vermicompost, well, my super-soil has a lot of EWC (without eggs), and one of my biggest concerns in the environment I grow in are fungus gnat and other small larvae, which wreacked havoc on so many of my grows in the past. I've seen so many of them in my first year indoor, that I played whack-a-mole the whole time, trying various remedies, none of which worked one bit, except for Bt variant israelensis, which I have asuper concentrated liquid of and I add a drop or two to my soil with each watering. This would destroy worm larvae/eggs, as I've seen before.

The thing is, first, I am weird and persistent. I found what works for me to combat larvae of small insects, such as, but not limited to, fungus gnats. This came after trying to fight bugs with bugs, until the point where I 1) needed to add more bugs (as frass or bugs attract different other kinds of bugs), and eventually, I would have a whole ecosystem of critters, and not even doing as good of a job as my concentrated Bti. Second of all, after seeing so much larvae (literally touching the soil would make visible lots of almost microscopic wigglies), and having so many insects, pests or not, in my growing space is not ideal to me. For one, it just grosses me out, and two, I sleep not far away from the area, and so does the wife, which is the main reason I can't do that anymore. I've never had worms from my multi-screened EWC (from my supplier to remove eggs), and no bugs in quite some time. I need to keep it that way to make everyone happy, so worms, or bugs, or even frass (which is also too expensive for me and attracts bugs), are simply out of the question.

Again, I'm weird, and I'm trying to do this with zero animal products outside of sifted/screened EWC, if you can count that. On top of that, I have no place for a worm bin, nor the equipment. At the end of the day, I like using plant and mineral products only. This super-soil I made took a lot of convincing myself, since it does contain animal products such as bone and blood meal, but, it's only being used to jump start this bed. I'm trying to be conscious of the environment, sticking to organic, OMRI approved products without animal testing performed on them, as well as keep my house pest-free. I went a whole two years with fungus gnats, carpet beetles, aphids, and everything flying around my house, and since switching to my new method a year ago, I can finally say I'm bug (and worm) free.

I'm so weird. Everyone is probably cringing now, but, I only want microbial life to be alive in my soil, and done so in an ethical testing manner. I'm not vegan or anything, but I really dislike using animals, or animal products. For example, bat guano, which is also in my super-soil, is harmful to bats. It turns out, bats don't like humans harvesting their poop, and migrate out of caves, and there a few places in the world where they are industrially harvested. I try to take care of my house, the environment, and make my wife happy.

Now, if you mean vermicompost as in castings mixed with compost, it's essentially the base of my super-soil mix, so I have it already...except the eggs filtered out. The castings are also present in my recycled soil I used as a base mix.

Forgive me if none if this made sense, as I'm quite tired. The tldr is I don't like larvae in my soil at all, or using any animal products. I was doing quite well with dry plant/mineral amendments, fermented juices, and other such products for a while now, and I'd like to keep it that way. Using this super-soil recipe took me a lot of convincing, and is what I started with years ago, moved away from, and now only using these animal inputs to jump start the process for microbial life I will introduce (more of) to thrive, in the coming days.
Thanks bro! I enjoy reading u alot my man!
Well we have a kinda similar approach regarding growth. I did inspire myself from Sub as well but alot of his ingredients are almost impossible to find where I live. So basically I supercharged my recycled soil with peat moss, coco, coffee, tea, vegg and fruit mixed up and fermented juice, aloe, a bit of volcanic stones and charcoal and a bit of petrified barks and vermicompost tea. Let it sit and cook for 4-5 months.
But my space is outdoors on a 3m2 balcony. This year I think I will have an amazing garden if all goes well. Maybe around 12-14 plants which I gotta find an intelligent way to manage.
The Lacto is very easy to make. Wash some rice and keep the dark water, add the best milk you can get and put it in a warm spot. After 4-7 days you get your serum which is the lighter liquid in between your protein and the waste. I think i made a post on Lacto somwhere here lol
Anyways looking forward to showing our end results and be mesmerized by the beauty of your sacred plants

Persianfarmer

My biggest enemy though, is powdery white mildew. I grow in a very humid environment, and I use a fermented citric acid foliar spray at least twice per week to combat that. It is even safe to use in flower. Maybe my house is a mold magnet, though I do keep it clean and have never seen mold growth in my basement even.

Bad larvae or vegetation destroying pests and mold took me a lot of trial and error over my time indoor for 2 years to get rid of, and, currently the only time I see slight PWM is when I forget to foliar spray. Mind you, this is even with very low RH, many exhaust and intake configurations tried, and a carbon filter. I must be proactive with my spraying to stand a chance at that.
I hear you. A mix of milk and water is pretty effective as I use it for my grape growing in a pot.
My worst enemy is the freaking spider mite which I cannot understand where they come from…Anyways my cure which is working great is to start with a rosemary tea and spray the heck out of it…but when these freaking red beasts persist I have a radical solution which is spraying with 70% alcohol which does the job and evaporates

resimax

The Lacto is very easy to make. Wash some rice and keep the dark water, add the best milk you can get and put it in a warm spot. After 4-7 days you get your serum which is the lighter liquid in between your protein and the waste.
Thanks for that, will come in handy fore sure!

But my space is outdoors on a 3m2 balcony. This year I think I will have an amazing garden if all goes well. Maybe around 12-14 plants which I gotta find an intelligent way to manage.
That is a bit of space. Here I have a 2x4ft veg tent and a 1m2 flower tent. My biggest mistake growing is doing too many plants in those tents. That is one thing that prompted me for a large raised bed, where I plan on growing just a single plant in it. The veg tent is currently un-used, or well, I've been using it to grow chili peppers since February that will go outside this weekend now that they're ready...still not sure what to do with it for cannabis though. Maybe a full-cycle home for 1 or 2 smaller pots. The issue is I'm poor and the lighting in that tent sucks. 2x150W LEDs that are cheap China builds with hotspots galore and way under spec. Have never been able to grow anything decent with them so not sure. It's a 2x4, and there is quite the space between the lights too, so prob just 2 small plants. Just thinking about those mites, but maybe it would be easier to manage if you did a smaller garden with more airflow and easier to reach and inspect. I dunno, as I never had spider mites before, but I know they are a lot of peoples' worst enemy and very scary.

My worst enemy is the freaking spider mite which I cannot understand where they come from
Their eggs are present in a lot of organic material, especially peat from what I've seen from local friends. That is also where most of my fungus gnat eggs come from, and to combat that, I presoak all dry material with Bti before mixing, and all my waterings contain a couple drops of the stuff (super concentrated). It might be an option for you, and is safe to use with a 0-day REI and same-day harvest, as 1) it only affects things with a basic (alkaline) digestive system, and 2) is very sensitive to light and heat. Works good as a foliar spray too.

I too am looking forward to watching your stuff. You have some good stuff going and similar ideas to me. Thanks for all the info so far, truly appreciated!

resimax

My overseas seed mail just arrived weeks earlier than expected! I now have a few high-ratio CBD strains, with the most being 30:1 CBD:THC. I am planning on starting a grow journal very soon here. This is so exciting!

The truth is I get seizures randomly, and sometimes weed makes it 100x more common, but a lot of weed also helps prevent them. These seizures ended me in the back of an ambulance and hospital visits countless times. It's so frustrating :( My hope is that higher CBD and certain terpenes I've researched can help with that, as for years, I haven't found a pattern as to which compounds trigger my symptoms.

I'm optimistic anyway. Not tasting those terps for nearly a month now has been a real bummer.

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
You, more than anyone, know what's best for your growth environment.

Up until this current run I'm in, about 6 months and only 1 harvest (was out of seeds), I was growing like you're growing now, and now I'm planting like you used to. Currently, the base of my soil is composed of worm castings (basically with fruit peels). When I introduced some commercial compost, it came full of unwanted creatures, such as thrips, all kinds of aphids, spider mites, whiteflies, and caterpillars. I had never seen a white fly in my life; I had to research to discover that they're harmful pests that can destroy hundreds of hectares of crops. What has balanced things out a bit and kept the soil healthy is the presence of mites and springtails; I always remove the visible worms and eggs.

It's a fact, much harder dealing with all this life in the soil. But, except for the caterpillars, no other life forms have come out from inside the tents.

With very strict humidity control, everything is working. I just put a couple of plants into flowering, and I'll see how they do. Visibly, I only have mites, lots of mites in all the pots.

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
My overseas seed mail just arrived weeks earlier than expected! I now have a few high-ratio CBD strains, with the most being 30:1 CBD:THC. I am planning on starting a grow journal very soon here. This is so exciting!

The truth is I get seizures randomly, and sometimes weed makes it 100x more common, but a lot of weed also helps prevent them. These seizures ended me in the back of an ambulance and hospital visits countless times. It's so frustrating :( My hope is that higher CBD and certain terpenes I've researched can help with that, as for years, I haven't found a pattern as to which compounds trigger my symptoms.

I'm optimistic anyway. Not tasting those terps for nearly a month now has been a real bummer.
I sympathize with your situation. It's been 7 to 8 weeks since I last consumed cannabis.

resimax

Correction. I have 1 that is 37:1 and 1 that is 34:1 on average. Makes me optimistic that even with a bad pheno I might get something that works for me :D

I started germinating a 2:1 strain, Cannatonic, the other day, which I'll do in fabric pots in my other tent. I'll start germinating the 37:1 strain today for the raised bed in the pictures of my OP. I'll post some diaries soon. Thanks for all the good wishes and advice from everyone so far!

I also have a plant that I've been growing in my open lung room (cold, very low RH). Surprised it is still alive as I started it in December and it's veging under just 60W tube LEDs for minimum viable photosynthesis. It's a THC strain, and if it will fit through my doors, it's going outside this weekend. Will make a diary for that as well. This is what she looked like a month ago, the last time I took a picture. She looks funky and hasn't been trained because I took a few cuttings. The plant next to her is the only clone that rooted, but it is getting tossed due to stem rot (from the cloning process, never recovered correctly, and is not drinking water).

1714632056292.png

Last edited:

resimax

I have a question for any other experienced outdoor growers. That tall plant above is much taller now, and the vertical branches are way too close together. I live in a windy/rainy area throughout the spring AND summer. I lost a lot of plants that were tied down good last year. Do you think I should spread her open in my tying down, or add support to let her climb vertically more? Since it's my only outdoor plant this year, it'd be a shame to lose her to wind and rain again. Thanks!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I have a question for any other experienced outdoor growers. That tall plant above is much taller now, and the vertical branches are way too close together. I live in a windy/rainy area throughout the spring AND summer. I lost a lot of plants that were tied down good last year. Do you think I should spread her open in my tying down, or add support to let her climb vertically more? Since it's my only outdoor plant this year, it'd be a shame to lose her to wind and rain again. Thanks!
If you introduce her to the environment slowly she should build stem strength. Keep her in the pot put her in a good location and get her used to the strong wind before planting. Keeping her in the pot will allow you to bring her in on a stormy day until she is strong enough to stand it. After the plant stem gets strong from the outdoor wind you can put her in the ground. Keeping her in the pot during the Spring storms will keep her safe.

resimax

Keeping her in the pot during the Spring storms will keep her safe.
Thanks, that has been my only plan so far actually. I never veged a plant indoor this long before, and you're right in that my lung room does not have a fan and her branches are thin and weak.

That said, she has more than outgrown her pot already, with old lower leaves just starting to die off after 6 months. Her stems are very thin in places, so acclimation is definitely needed here.

Additionally, I tortured her with numerous light schedule changes over the last 2 months to get her ready for about 15.5h daylight, and she put on a large stretch already. I don't know how much longer she will be able to take that crowded root zone.

Rodehazrd

Hey Resimax
I’m going outside again this year too. I have 5 spots out on the ridge I’m preparing today for a June planting. I get early flowering going out any earlier. I have 3 30 gal sips I’ve reused for 6 years and two 65 gal shorties with the bottom cut out 4 years old, I make a tea with fish hydrolysate WC and molasses each year to feed the soil , this year I’m adding nematodes for the gnats. My daughter ordered it for her garden and gave me a bag of it with instruction use it right away as it’s perishable. It’s a powder I’ll add to the tea.
I’ve never used it before but she’s researched and thinks it will help with the gnats.

resimax

this year I’m adding nematodes for the gnats
Cool. Just a couple recommendations. Too much can be bad for the soil/roots, and there are some bad nematode species in general. They definitely work better than most remedies though. I don't like them because they must be kept refrigerated and reordered with fast shipping when in need. Also not compatible with my Bti, as that destroys them.

Persianfarmer

Thanks for that, will come in handy fore sure!

That is a bit of space. Here I have a 2x4ft veg tent and a 1m2 flower tent. My biggest mistake growing is doing too many plants in those tents. That is one thing that prompted me for a large raised bed, where I plan on growing just a single plant in it. The veg tent is currently un-used, or well, I've been using it to grow chili peppers since February that will go outside this weekend now that they're ready...still not sure what to do with it for cannabis though. Maybe a full-cycle home for 1 or 2 smaller pots. The issue is I'm poor and the lighting in that tent sucks. 2x150W LEDs that are cheap China builds with hotspots galore and way under spec. Have never been able to grow anything decent with them so not sure. It's a 2x4, and there is quite the space between the lights too, so prob just 2 small plants. Just thinking about those mites, but maybe it would be easier to manage if you did a smaller garden with more airflow and easier to reach and inspect. I dunno, as I never had spider mites before, but I know they are a lot of peoples' worst enemy and very scary.

Their eggs are present in a lot of organic material, especially peat from what I've seen from local friends. That is also where most of my fungus gnat eggs come from, and to combat that, I presoak all dry material with Bti before mixing, and all my waterings contain a couple drops of the stuff (super concentrated). It might be an option for you, and is safe to use with a 0-day REI and same-day harvest, as 1) it only affects things with a basic (alkaline) digestive system, and 2) is very sensitive to light and heat. Works good as a foliar spray too.

I too am looking forward to watching your stuff. You have some good stuff going and similar ideas to me. Thanks for all the info so far, truly appreciated!
Hiya bro,
Thanks for the reply and info given.
Wow tell me more about your CBD seeds as these percentages are quite impressive 37 and 34 wow.
Regarding lamps, I grew my monster cropped Green Crack under a shitty chinese lamp and honestly it blew my mind. And now out she will become a monster.
For your plant I would suggest try a bit of LST on a few taller branches. I live on the 8th floor of a building and the winds are crazy and did lose a few babies, but the ones that survive will develop stronger branches and the buds getting stronger resines.
Thats the Green Crack here
Peace and respect
PF

Attachments

• 2DF8AA99-B05F-4FE3-85E1-BAB645770913.jpeg
    2DF8AA99-B05F-4FE3-85E1-BAB645770913.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 17

Persianfarmer

Yes sweet seeds from Spain, I grew once and it was good. Never grew RQS…Anyways you will let me know.
Yes the Green Crack turned pretty good and I am LSTing it like a mofo!
Oh by the way if I can give you an alternative solution to your health issue, try meditation and start with breathing exercises. Meditation is amazing for everything! So let me know if I can be of any help brother

resimax

Oh by the way if I can give you an alternative solution to your health issue, try meditation and start with breathing exercises. Meditation is amazing for everything! So let me know if I can be of any help brother
Thanks a lot bro. Unfortunately I've tried all of that for many years, seeing many head doctors. None of it works one bit, as it occurs randomly at the blink of an eye, even when I'm calm or feeling good, and seems to be more physiological than mental.