What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

~Pimp your Organic Fertilizer~

greenmtgirl

Anyone using Roots Organics by Aurora innovations? I am on my second grow using their soil with excellent results.
Haven't tried their other products

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
I`m using 1TBS per gallon of soil mix, lately I`ve been using slightly less ferts and supplementing later on.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Steve Solomon was the guy who founded Territorial Seed Company here in Oregon. They specialize in organic farming products, heirloom seeds, books, etc. Good folks.

A couple of years back, Steve wrote an article for Mother Earth News magazine on making your own organic fertilizer.

Here it is:

4 parts seed meal
1/4 part agricultural lime (finely ground)
1/4 part gypsum (or oyster shell flour)
1/2 part dolomite lime
1 part fish bone meal, rock phosphate or high-phosphate guano
1 part kelp meal

Mix and apply 1/2 - 3/4 cup per 5 gallon pot of soil

It will last for years and years - almost forever.

And it's cheap!

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I'm not sure I understand. So reinventing the wheel is preferable to using a product that works superbly for many different applications? How contrarian.
No - that's not what I'm saying.

What I am saying is that 'back engineering' such products isn't a leap of faith. Using Google.com it's a 'no-brainer' on figuring out the source of these 'magical products' that aren't 'magical' at all - much less the actual ingredients used per se.

Making a product that's 99% of the original target at 1/10 the cost seems to me to be a good way of spending one's time. Not to mention their money.

YMMV

CC

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
CC that recipe sounds bomb, alot like the fert I posted earlier from Welcome Harvest Farms.
Does rock phosphate release at the same rate as high P guano?
I've got lots of it and I am wondering if I can substitute it for high P guano in flowering if it water soluble.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
CC that recipe sounds bomb, alot like the fert I posted earlier from Welcome Harvest Farms.
Does rock phosphate release at the same rate as high P guano?
I've got lots of it and I am wondering if I can substitute it for high P guano in flowering if it water soluble.
Suby

Absolutely! Here's a link to Steve's original article at MotherEarthNews.com - A Better Way to Fertilize Your Garden - Homemade Organic Fertilizer

Also, Steve has a web site with lots of good information and links regarding organic farming around the world - literally: Soil & Health Library

Interesting gentleman to say the least. He's authored 9 books on organic farming and countless articles.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
mountain kind

I'm familiar with that product. It's highly recommended by many organic folks here in the valley.

Add Acadian Seaplant Extract and you have the perfect 'fertilizer' for an organic grow. Some folks add these products to their compost teas at the beginning of the process. My understanding is that fish enzyme promotes the growth of fungai in the teas. Microbeman has good information on that.

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Suby

I picked up a couple of hundred lbs. of the Archipelago Fossilized Bat Guano 0-7-0 last week at the farm store for one of the clinics who sell gardening supplies to patients. The price has dropped down to $20.00 per 25 lb. bag!

At the web site of the folks who import and distribute this product is an interesting article on how N-P-K numbers are played with by many in the organic soil amendment business. There is also a wealth of information on phosphates in general.

Check it out - Is “0-20-0” phosphate bat guano 3 times better than “0-7-0” bat guano?

mountain kind

I'm familiar with that product. It's highly recommended by many organic folks here in the valley.

Add Acadian Seaplant Extract and you have the perfect 'fertilizer' for an organic grow. Some folks add these products to their compost teas at the beginning of the process. My understanding is that fish enzyme promotes the growth of fungai in the teas. Microbeman has good information on that.

CC

What's up? I love the Gem. Stuff works great and its CHEAP.

I use Kelpak for my sea kelp.

It smells like the ocean bro. The smell of my fertilizer is the least of my concerns. All I care about is how well it works.

1 tablespoon of the gem per gallon is all you need the whole way through. A little kelpak and molasses and youre all set

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Fish hydrolysate is the term that you want to see on a liquid fish product. Some fish meals are created this way as well.

In the past 8 years or so there have been several start-up companies in and around coastal cities processing these types of products. There's even a catfish 'farmer' down in Mississippi who is making a product from the fish that he raises and processes for market.

One thing to consider when using the Kelpak:
KELPAK concentrate is obtained by an exclusive process using mechanical pressure to burst the cell walls of Ecklonia maxima kelp.
The vast majority of seaweed/kelp products are derived from the Ascophyllum nodosum

It might be worth a read.

CC

dirkdaddy

It smells like the ocean bro. The smell of my fertilizer is the least of my concerns. All I care about is how well it works.

1 tablespoon of the gem per gallon is all you need the whole way through. A little kelpak and molasses and youre all set

f me! I am ordering a bottle right now. I am just making sure the stuff doesn't smell like rotten fish thats been sitting out for days. I really appreciate the link. any hints on where to pick up kelpak? a few quick google searches didn't turn up much.

Last edited:

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Steve Solomon was the guy who founded Territorial Seed Company here in Oregon. They specialize in organic farming products, heirloom seeds, books, etc. Good folks.

A couple of years back, Steve wrote an article for Mother Earth News magazine on making your own organic fertilizer.

Here it is:

4 parts seed meal
1/4 part agricultural lime (finely ground)
1/4 part gypsum (or oyster shell flour)
1/2 part dolomite lime
1 part fish bone meal, rock phosphate or high-phosphate guano
1 part kelp meal

Mix and apply 1/2 - 3/4 cup per 5 gallon pot of soil

It will last for years and years - almost forever.

And it's cheap!
I use fish bone meal in place of regular bone meal many times.
SD:joint:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
I read a article in Skunk where the guy said he used Fox Farm Big Bloom, Liquid Karma, and Alaska Fish Emulsion all together for a complete organic nutrient mix...

I've recently been making a tea with my Tiger Bloom, Big Bloom, Moleasses and Superthrive in a gallon of water and bubble it for 24 hours till it gets nice and foamy and smells like fresh soil...

My mix for flowering(this is all I've done it with so far) is this
2tsp Fox Farm Tiger Bloom 2-8-4
2tbs Fox Farm Big Bloom 0.01-0.3-0.7
1tbs Brer Rabbit Full Flavor Moleasses(really close to blackstrap)
4 Drops of Superthrive

The first time I did this I just used the tea straight and burnt my girls so I now dilute it making the mix 50% tea and 50% water which is working out lovely!!! It's giving me way better results than the nutes used regularly and I haven't seen anyone post about it in here so I figured I would. I know Tiger Bloom isn't completely organic but I was wondering if bubbling it, I know this sounds dumb, but uh bubbles out some of the chemicals?? Making it more alive and organic?

Salt based fertilizers (GrowBig - Tiger Bloom - Superthrive) will kill teeming, good bacteria that's created when making a tea. The REV wrote an article in Skunk Mag a couple years ago, and there's a thread here on IcMag about it (it was my first post!). It explains the process of building a great living tea, and how synthetic ferts kill all the living microbes in it (and in your soil). I use to be an organic farmer and grew using teas, they can be very effective when used properly. Organic Tea Party with The Rev Hope this info helps.
--
TB4U
:rasta:

Latest posts

Latest posts