What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

~Pimp your Organic Fertilizer~

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
The N-P-K ratios were determined to be (2.49 - 0.84 - 1.50). This NPK ratio is the best in the animal kingdom, and guinea pigs produce a massive amount of manure. 1000 guinea pigs can produce 3000 kilograms of manure per month.....

Start a business where you sell guinea pigs for meat and sell the manure to hydro stores :D

I don't eat animals, so I wouldn't buy the meat, but I'd buy the poop. :biglaugh:

quadracer

jj48 said:
And your alternative to Liquid Karma is? Keep in mind that many of us have neither the time nor the inclination to make up our own elixers from scratch.

Product name:Comfrey (Russian Comfrey)
Manufacturer: Mother Nature
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other: 1.8-0.5-5.3 (according to here.
Application rates as listed: There are many ways to apply comfrey, as mulch, compost, mix with soil (and let sit), and as a liquid tea. I will take a couple of pounds of fresh comfrey and let it sit (with equal amount nettle) in a 35 gallon trash can for a month or two, it will be extremely stinky. Then I'll take a couple of gallons and make a 35 gallon batch of EWC tea (recipes differ in veg and flower, but I will use the couple of gallons of mix as a base).
Online Source: For gardeners, Russian Comfrey is the variety to use. I grow both Russian and "common," available here.

Comfrey needs to be in every garden, and needs to feed more weed plants. From the horizon herbs site:

Besides making medicine from the dried root, we use the leaves for curing our goats of any intestinal ailment, which as you may know intestinal ailments can often prove fatal to goats. Furthermore, we have great results making the fresh leaves into biodynamic tea, which we apply to our potted plants to increase vitality, growth, and to green up all those leaves! Excellent ingredient for compost piles--fresh leaves compost fast and make a nitrogen-rich compost! Organic, farm-derived, vegetarian and free of cost.

Comfrey contains a laundry list of vitamins and minerals to encourage plant growth.

Last edited:

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
It was good until I found out what it was, it's alot like rabbit which I love.
I don't descriminate, I eat cute and ugly animals :hotbounce:
We where at a culinary convention and some of the stands where serving weird meats, like lion, emu...
I just don't see pets the same way since then, especially since we went to Ganzhoo.

I would use guinea pig shit as an alfalfa alternative, it's basicallt enriched alfalfa.

S

G

Quadracer:

Thanks. I take it that product is an alternative to LK?

I Just received my Liquid Humus. I have never used the stuff. I want to incorporate it into my soil mix I have incubating. The mix with what's in it are on that thread about fave soil mixes. I think I have a really good mix incubating. This will be my first attempt at a 100% organic grow. No PBP or any of that.

Back to the liquid Humus. It is TechnaFlora Plant Products brand.
15% liquid humus. I was planning on using it 1 Tbls(15ml)/gallon and using that to "wet/moisten" my soil I have incubating the next time it needs wetting. It'll be about 10-14 days before I need to use the soil. It has been incubating for over a week now.

Any suggestions for using this stuff? Looks like you can use it ongoing in small amounts as part of nute regime?

Thanks guys

jj48

These are my 1st 2 babies from a my first seed making. SSH x SSH (parents were Mr Nice origin)

I have 5 germed now with maybe a few more coming. They are the plants I'll be putting in my new soil mix. May 2 was when they were sewn directly into the pots. They sprouted May 7-8.

Last edited:

texas grass

http://www.sanjacsupply.com/horticultural/orfeli.htm
Humic Acid Complex 15%
Humic Acid 10%, Fulvic Acid 5% • Essential Microbial food source • Root Stimulator • Chelating Agent • De-Toxifier
Our Humic Acid Complex charges up your soils and microbes with ENERGY! Essential life creating carbon that improves all soils and plants. Basically what you get is “Liquid Compost” in a bottle that contains both simple and complex organic molecules that are formed by the breakdown of ancient organic matter.
Our Humic/Fulvic Acid is originally sources from leonardite coal and is homogenized and filtered to give you a fine quality finished product. Humic/Fulvic Acid is well researched by soil scientists and universities all over the world.
Humic /Fulvic Acid can be applied moderately to aid in soil and plant improvement or, more often, mixed with fertilizer, nutrient solutions or chemicals. Humic/Fulvic Acid when applied foliar or to the roots, makes the plant more accessible, thus you have greater efficient use of your nutrient solution and/or chemicals.
APPLICATION RATES
You can never overdo Humic/Fulvic Acid.
All plants, turf, and crops: 2 oz Per Gallon of Water. Per Acre: 1-2 Gal. 1,000 Sq. Ft.: 3-6 ozs. mixed with sufficient water for uniform coverage.
SIZES AVAILABLE
1 Gallon

V

vonforne

SeaLife™ KELP MEAL
SOIL CONDITIONER

Accepted in Organic Agriculture

The Health of Your Soil is Vital to the Health of Growing Plants

SeaLife Kelp Meal is a soil conditioner made from the seaplant Ascophyllum nodosom, which is harvested from coastal Maine waters. The live plants are quickly dried at a low temperature to maintain the proper moisture level for vitamin and amino acid stability.

SeaLife Kelp Meal contains 60 trace minerals and an assortment of amino acids, enzymes, and alginates that feed and stimulate the necessary microorganisms in your soil. A healthy, active microbial population will breakdown organic material and improve the quality and texture of the soil.

How Do I Use Kelp Meal?

SeaLife Kelp Meal is mixed into the soil in early spring and fall at a rate of 1 pound per 100 square feet or 300 pounds per acre.

What Can I Expect To See?

Healthy soil doesn’t come overnight. What you will see is a gradual improvement in the feel and look of your soil. It will become more crumbly and lighter in texture, perhaps becoming a little darker in color as the microorganisms digest and make available the organic matter in your soil. As you continue to use SeaLife from season to season you will see healthier-looking, disease-resistant crops and your soil and will look better and better.

Benefits of SeaLife Kelp Meal Soil Conditioner

* Exceptional natural ingredient for increasing organic matter

* Improves microbial activity in the soil

* Reduces nutrient leaching

* Increases water retention

* Promotes manageability and tilth in heavy soils

* Improves soil fertility

Mesh Size: 14

Available Sizes: 50-lb. bags

25-lb. pails with resealable lids

Sea Life Kelp Meal (F.C.C. Grade)
by Atlantic Laboratories

When it comes to quality, there is no compromise!

Atlantic Laboratories is a Maine-based company with more than 27 years of experience in processing seaplants. The company harvests sea kelp from the same cold, clean waters that have been providing world-famous seafood for centuries. All Atlantic Laboratories sea kelp is responsibly harvested and is machine dried to maintain the proper moisture level for vitamins and amino acid stability.

Atlantic Laboratories was founded in 1971 by Robert Morse, a marine engineer who was one of the first members of Maine's Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association. The company harvests and processes several types of seaweed year-round with a regular crew of 10 that swells to 35 during peak harvesting seasons. The seaweed is dried and processed in Atlantic Laboratories facility in Waldoboro using a low temperature machine drying process which consistently insures the highest quality product.

Why Use Sea Kelp?

Dehydrated kelp contains a full compliment of naturally digestible minerals, trace minerals, vitamins, and amino acids;

Trace elements are essential to blood chemistry and to the human body's wellbeing. Gold, iodine, magnesium, zinc, copper and more than 100 other nutrients are necessary to the human body and are found in seaweeds;

Seaweeds are an excellent source of organic iodine. Iodine stimulates the thyroid which regulates metabolism;

Sea kelp is an excellent source of amino acids, which are the building blocks of the body.

Why Choose Atlantic Laboratories?

Maine's sea kelp is some of the purest available in the world today. Quality assurance and consistency of analysis are the watchwords of Atlantic Labs processing.

Atlantic Laboratories low temperature machine drying assures the highest quality product because:

* There is less degradation of nutrients, vitamins and amino acids with low temperature drying;
* Moisture levels are more accurately maintained;
* Freshly harvested and processed seaweed is not left out to be exposed to the elements.

All "Processed for Food Use" seaweed is tested by an "outside" laboratory for purity using the Food Chemicals Codex;

Atlantic Laboratories independently tests for bacterial contaminants - E.coli, salmonella and total coliform.

The product can be particle "sized" to meet any requirements.

Robert Morse says:

"Part of my optimism for the future stems from the fact many individuals are beginning to really understand the benefits of using seaweed products in a number of areas - nutraceutical is just one area.

"I've got a great team of employees in place. They are a steady and knowledgeable group interested in producing the highest quality product possible."

"The work is all done in Maine - right out of boats in tidal zones, bays and inlets. We have a niche and don't feel we 're in competition with anyone. And we don 't infringe on the local fishermen."

"I'm ready now to bring my product from the ocean to the customer in the most efficient and cost-effective way."

I have used many brands but have never gone without it. If you cannot get the meal then use the liquid form. It is a great folair used in rotation with Alfalfa as a folair also.

V

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
Plant Success, Plant Success, Plant Success!! I love it.
3-1-2 (.75% water soluble N)
Ingredients
Endomycorrhizal fungi Glomus intraradices, G. mosseae, G. aggregatum. 20,000/lb
Ectomycorrhizal fungi Rhizopogon villosullus, R. luteolus, R. amylopogon, R. fulvigleba, Pisolithus tinctorius 110 million/lb
Tricoderma fungi Tricoderma koningii and Tricoderma harzianum 150 million/lb
Other Non plant food ingredients: Kelp meal, humus, vitamins, amino acids

Every time I plant, transplant, or see a sad plant. It says right on the can, "Using more than the recommended amount will improve results....not more than 3x's" Last summer's outdoor went through a DROUGHT, and I'm convinced this stuff saved the plants. 2-3 lb plot....

I could also replace my liquid karma with B-1 red, I know it had a lil salts, but I use em both sparingly, interchangeably, and with great results. They are about all I feed the veg plants/mommas other than a pinch of kelp or EWC here and there.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Flower Power from Harvest Farms

Flower Power from Harvest Farms

Product name: Flower Power
Manufacturer:Welcome Harvest Farm
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other: 4-10-4
Application rates as listed: i use 1-2 TBS per gallon of soil mix
Online Source: ?

I've been using this instead of blood and bone, I like that it has multiple ingredient sources, I like having crossover in ingredients.
I still ammend with 1tsp of both blood and bone and I water every 2nd time with liquid seaweed.
I also like that there is fish meal in the blend, once composted it doesn't smell like when I used fish emulsions, I also have rock phosphate from the same supplier :rasta:
I also use it in my compost teas, I use 1tsp per gallon of water as a microbial feed and not as fertilizer.

Sorry for the bump but I had to share :joint:

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
I made 'coffee' concentrate and fed to my flower plants ~ a wk ago. It was like giving them a transplant. BUMP.

Coffee (~6 cups of water for ~2 gallons of flower 'feed')
1 old coffee maker
1 wire basket (throw away old plastic basket/filter holder and coffee pot lid. Place mesh directly in coffee pot)
2 Tbsp castings (I have wiggle worm 1-0-0)
1 Tbsp P guano (I have sunleaves Jamacian 1-11-1)
2 Tsp Kelp (I would have used equal parts algamin:castings, but the maxicrop 1-0-4 is 100% soluble)
2 Tsp Rare earth (silicon powder)

Run 6 cups, remove from heat, add 4 cups cold water, big glob (~2tbsp) molasses, and break into 2-3 gallon juggz. Make sure to feed @ or near room temp.

MHHSP

The line up... everything from the local hydro shop

Foxfarm grow big 6-4-4
Botanicare liquid karma in the res and as a foliar spray near transplant or cloning. .1-.1-.5
Earth Juice- pH adjust and catalyst .03-.01-.1
Neptune's Harvest- fish and fish and seaweed 2-4-1 and 2-3-1
Wiggle Worm- EWC 1-0-0

Also EWC mixed in soil and as part of the nutrient tea.
Nutrients are mixed and bubbled in a large 25 gal res about 12 hours prior to watering (overnight is best).

peace y'all

Last edited:

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
Well it's about time I post in here. I dont have too much info on NPK values. But I will give you a run down on the mix I am currently working with. It seems to please the plants more than anything else I have tried.

I abandoned the pure coco project, and ran to get some Sunshine#1. I mixed the coco into there at a rate of about 2/1 SS/coco. I Just kinda dumped them together and felt my way to the right consistancy. Nice and loamy. Clumps when squeezed, but breaks up easily.

Into this mix, about 90 gallons, I put 2.5 cups of dolemite lime, 3 cups of blood meal and the same for the bone meal, also three cups of cottonseed meal, 3 cups of grresand, 3 cups of Jamaican guano, and... i think that's it. I brewed up a batch of tea using some EJ and this stuff called "soil activator". Dont know if it works but I figured what the hell.

This mix sat in the tubs for about a week before I started needing it for plants. It should have marinated a bit longer but like I said, I needed it for the plants. I swear, the vigor from these babies rivals that of High quality seed plants of the same strain. I have never had vigor like this from clones before. If you saw em, you would swear at first glance they were from seed. Super thick stalks, huge leafs and ann all around high energy vibe coming from them. I took a blueberry cutting, that had just popped roots, and put it into this mix in a three inch pot. Two days later, I was tranplanting it into it's next home, the 8 inch pot. 2 DAYS! WOW! The damn thing was almost potbound in only two days. I know this sounds far ftched, but I keep very detailed records of all snips, trans, flips, drinks,eats and everything. The calendar says 2 days.

I will only use bubbled tea made with EJ bloom and FF bloom if need be. But for now, they just get a nice mushroom compost tea. I will try to get some pics up of the happy ladies. I just wanted to share this simple recipe cuz it is working wonders for me. This is the first time I have used so many ammendments and not so much Juice. I likee!

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
You could change that to "Buy Liquid Karma - It's Easier Than Thinking"[/INDENT]

I'm not sure I understand. So reinventing the wheel is preferable to using a product that works superbly for many different applications? How contrarian.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
I use their stuff,too! Boutique(?) price, but good stuff! I find the bigger size bag to be a far better value.
SD:joint:
Product name: Flower Power
Manufacturer:Welcome Harvest Farm
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other: 4-10-4
Application rates as listed: i use 1-2 TBS per gallon of soil mix
Online Source: ?

I've been using this instead of blood and bone, I like that it has multiple ingredient sources, I like having crossover in ingredients.
I still ammend with 1tsp of both blood and bone and I water every 2nd time with liquid seaweed.
I also like that there is fish meal in the blend, once composted it doesn't smell like when I used fish emulsions, I also have rock phosphate from the same supplier :rasta:
I also use it in my compost teas, I use 1tsp per gallon of water as a microbial feed and not as fertilizer.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Hey CC great to see you posting dude :joint:

I'm down with the neem cakes, I have got to try those, I always notice how lush and healthy my plants look after a neem foliar and a little in the soil.

Acadian Seaweed is my one and only favorite.

SD I am really loving that mix, recently I have been using it as a stand alone soil fert with 0 problems, like I mentioned I like that it has good ingredient diversity.

I grow in a small cab so 1 bag will get me through the year, I am looking for sicount bulk seaweed, that shit is getting expensive in my neck of the woods, it's made here to boot...

Keep her rolling friends, there are alot of great organic products with little or no visibility.

Sub's

Latest posts

Latest posts