What's new

Zack's Patch 2016

20sackzack

Fire in foresthill right now.. some really scary shit. I have family there... not a good feeling

2qxyw6v.jpg

20sackzack

Man I'm really sorry to hear that. Such a helpless feeling.. Fingers crossed calfire can slow it down and keep yours and everyone else's homes safe. Good luck brother

20sackzack

The fire is still burning, but I think the homes that were in danger are now ok. Thankfully no one has been hurt or had there valuables destroyed that I know of. I know forest fires are just part of nature but damn they are scary. Wonder what it would have been like to be a native american around here back in the day when big forest fires would happen. It would be terrible to get caught in one with no way to escape

Anyway here's a pic I took on a pretty cool old orchard ladder I found on my property

Sfv -- tiny Gsc

Kosher kush -- Sour d

Citrus sap -- Fire og
w8ar7k.jpg

S

Stone House

The fire is still burning, but I think the homes that were in danger are now ok. Thankfully no one has been hurt or had there valuables destroyed that I know of. I know forest fires are just part of nature but damn they are scary. Wonder what it would have been like to be a native american around here back in the day when big forest fires would happen. It would be terrible to get caught in one with no way to escape

Anyway here's a pic I took on a pretty cool old orchard ladder I found on my property

Sfv -- tiny Gsc

Kosher kush -- Sour d

Citrus sap -- Fire og
View Image

Looking nice and bushy, their getting ready to blow-up.:woohoo:
Alot of native American tribes used to set fire to the forests every 15 years or so if there was no natural fires, this would clear underbrush and promote wild seed crops (for eating), some seeds won't germinate unless scorched by fire. Also this would prevent fuel (underbrush and dead wood) from building-up and lighting the bigger trees on fire. But yeah, with only trails to escape from fires it must have been pretty scary, same with old homesteaders.
Looks like Smokey the Bear made a big mistake by preventing forest fires, it allowed to much underbrush to build-up so when we now have fires it's usually a fire storm.

20sackzack

nice!! doing some Fire OG too this year. looking great man

Hey thanks, yeah hopefully the fire will turn out alright. I put it in one of my larger pots but its being put to shame by the citrus sap(gg4 x tangie) right next to it in a smaller pot. If I could go back I would switch them

Looking great, everything is nice and green.

Thanks foothill! Really great to have u checking out my ish. Your thread is my favorite outdoor on the mag, you seem like a very driven, intelligent and respectable person. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge and awesome pics!

Looking nice and bushy, their getting ready to blow-up.:woohoo:
Alot of native American tribes used to set fire to the forests every 15 years or so if there was no natural fires, this would clear underbrush and promote wild seed crops (for eating), some seeds won't germinate unless scorched by fire. Also this would prevent fuel (underbrush and dead wood) from building-up and lighting the bigger trees on fire. But yeah, with only trails to escape from fires it must have been pretty scary, same with old homesteaders.
Looks like Smokey the Bear made a big mistake by preventing forest fires, it allowed to much underbrush to build-up so when we now have fires it's usually a fire storm.

I have heard things like that in the past but I always wonder what it would have actually been like to be alive in those days. That culture has always interested me. Thanks for the explanation stone house, feel free to share anything else here. Stories, advice or whatever

S

Stone House

I'll throw in one more interesting fact (to me at least).
Native Americans used to throw their (garbage) human waste, bones,feathers,fire ashes, sea shells (from sea food) and animal parts into mounds close to their villages, we call these shell mounds (in central cali anyway). When Settlers made their to the west they built many of their ranch homes on top of these old Indian villages. The Indians over thousands of years learned to place their villages close to streams and rivers but above flood stage. The Settlers took advantage of this and as a bonus the shell mounds made the ultimate organic soil for the settlers gardens. Still today if you find one of these shell mounds the soil is black.

20sackzack

I'll throw in one more interesting fact (to me at least).
Native Americans used to throw their (garbage) human waste, bones,feathers,fire ashes, sea shells (from sea food) and animal parts into mounds close to their villages, we call these shell mounds (in central cali anyway). When Settlers made their to the west they built many of their ranch homes on top of these old Indian villages. The Indians over thousands of years learned to place their villages close to streams and rivers but above flood stage. The Settlers took advantage of this and as a bonus the shell mounds made the ultimate organic soil for the settlers gardens. Still today if you find one of these shell mounds the soil is black.

That's really cool stone house. Sounds like some premium well aged compost. Would be a privilege to be able to grow ganja and food in soil used by native people. Thanks for sharing

20sackzack

Time to update. Plants are growing well, turning into some nice bushes except for the gsc that doesn't want to grow. Citrus sap is my biggest at about 5 feet tall and across.

Fire og, Sfv, and kosher kush all appear to be starting to flower. They are throwing some 3 fingered leaves and have pistols emerging at the growth tips. This seems really early and the 3 leaves have me a little worried. Not sure what they will do hopefully they dont get fucked up.
I had them on supplemental lighting until the first week of June... anyone know what's going on here?

I bought trellis, bamboo and t-posts to start adding support. Only problem is I've never grown plants this size before and I have no idea how much bigger they will get. It would be awesome if some of the big plant growers could help me figure out how close I should put the trellis. I dont want to go too close and have the plants grow too far through and also dont want them too far away. Pics will help give people an idea of what im working with

Another thing, my kosher kush has some weird looking leaves on some parts of the plant that look like some kind of deficiency. Does anyone know what my problem might be?

Group shot
ambqeg.jpg

Citrus sap
2rwx1zm.jpg

Kosher kush's beginning to bud and weird looking leaves, deficiency??
fvzosx.jpg

Kosher kush
2nnn01.jpg

Comparison pic of where I was last year at this time compared to now
j96528.png

moritzst

never too late to make some improvement, always nice to compare, yeah looking like a little def, maybe you can topdress something but doesnt look too bad. keep it up, greez mo

^^^ Everything looks good. i've run kosher kush a couple times outside and it just seems to do that, overall healthy just something it seems to do

LilMan72003

Not sure exactly what's going on with the Kosher but I might consider a complete, full chopping and dropping all that living mulch heading into flower. By now it has established a thick mat of roots and could be considerably competing for water and nutes. Chopping it now, you would still be getting the benefit of it as a physical mulch helping to retain moisture and keep root temps cool, without competing with the cannabis.

Additionally, I don't think it would be a bad idea top dressing with supplemental ferts heading into flower, especially if you aren't going to be spraying/fertigating.

Best of luck!!!

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
not sure about the deficiency but i think the 3-finger leaf thing is just an OG Kush trait... i've seen a lot of OG crosses do that outside and it doesnt mean anything.

put your trellis about 1ft out from where the plant is now. too far and the branches will sag. too close and you will need to put the next layer up sooner

stinky

Your way ahead of last year Zack dude... I have been trying to get a concrete answer as to when Hybrids, Indica and Sativa strains flower outside.

In this thread "Flowering Cycle Triggers in Outdoor Growing"

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=235251

Moondawg suggests that plants flower when the available light is 14.25 or less. This seems to hold true for my area.

This Daylight Hours Explorer:

http://astro.unl.edu/classaction/ani...sexplorer.html

will show on what date you could expect plants to start flowering. Mostly Indica crosses will flower first. My Afgooey and NL X BB started flowering around July 1st.

Overgrow it. :tiphat:

Stinky

20sackzack

Thanks for the compliments guys, its really awesome to get feedback from more experienced growers

Good to know thats normal for the kosher kush 1990rhdcrxsi. I wont worry about it unless it gets worse which it doesn't seem to be doing

I chopped my cover crop like you suggested LilMan72003.
It was getting too out of hand. Much more air flow underneath now

Thats exactly the info I was looking for Shcrews, thank you! I've been working on putting up trellis over the last week but still have a bunch more to do. Seems like I never have enough time to get everything I want done

Hey Stinky, yeah I think there are just to many factors outdoors to know exactly when flowering begins. Changes in weather, temp, moisture can all have an effect on when they start to do their thing. Its definitely nice to have a general idea though, thanks for the info!

20sackzack

Now on to my next problem haha

Sour diesel is showing what I believe to be potassium deficiency?? Leaves tacoing upwards with the edges turning light yellow

Has anyone seen this outdoors before? It first showed up a couple weeks ago and seems to be progressing. I thought there is normally an abundance of potassium from all the compost in cootz style soil mixes?

Here's some pics so you can see what's going on.
Overall the plant still seems to be healthy and growing with only some of the leaves effected

2laphdi.jpg

1zfq87t.jpg

35bgygh.jpg

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That looks more like magnesium deficiency to me. What is your ph of your run off water? when was the last time you flushed? Do you use r.o. Water? Do you add cal/mag already?

To much potassium can lock out cal/mag and too much cal/mag can lock out potassium.

I recommend a good flush to reveal the real issue. If it fixes it self with flush it was lock out. If the promlem gets worse, it will show exactly what you need to add. Then get back on normal feed and add what was deficient. Earth juice makes good organic additives.

If you're short on cash, Epsom salts make a great magnesium additive. I like to mix in some black strap molasses with that too. However I only use that solution with tap water and not r.o. Water because calcium and magnesium are required together for proper uptake. Tap water usually has pleanty of calcium already.

If you use tap water let it sit out for 24 hours to release the chlorine. Throw in an air stone if you have one.

If you can get a bag of og tea veganic special sauce, and a bag of OG tea root web star and mix them around in your top soil a bit. These biological additives help keep your root zone healthy but will get killed by chlorine in the water.