What's new

Zack's Patch 2016

jbarsk8

I know man I really want to I'm just concerned about preflowering. Do you know how much light I would need to keep them in veg? For example, would one or two cfls positioned to hit them all be enough?

Depends on spacing and intensity. 1 cfl per plant would certainly be more safe. Put them on a timer and get them near a 16/8 light cycle matching timer to sunlight naturally. Do this all gradually, 15 or 30 minute cut back per day until matched up nice and pull them, should be 100% good. The more stressed the ladies are the higher chance they have to flip.

20sackzack

Yeah they've been on 16/8. I put cfl on a timer in the ghetto tent thing I built and I have been moving them in there every night. They haven't shown signs of flowering yet so it seems to be working.

The light kicks on at dusk and extends the day a bit then turns off and then back on a bit before sunrise

I guess my issue is the shelter I built contains the light pretty well. Not sure how obvious it would be if the lights were out in the open. My garden is hidden from view but I do have neighbors fairly close. It probably wouldn't be too big of a deal especially as the daylight gets longer

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
I like the pots you built, zack. Low cost and effective.

I wish I knew what to tell you about the leaf damage, but I think I agree with barski in that you might want to transplant those girls asap. The damage almost looks fungal. Maybe check the soil moisture/pH before you do anything else?

Best of luck to you, zack. I hope you kill it.

HB.

20sackzack

I like the pots you built, zack. Low cost and effective.

I wish I knew what to tell you about the leaf damage, but I think I agree with barski in that you might want to transplant those girls asap. The damage almost looks fungal. Maybe check the soil moisture/pH before you do anything else?

Best of luck to you, zack. I hope you kill it.

HB.

Thanks for your input hemphrey, I really appreciate the help! I think I'm going to get some cheap rope to wrap around the pots a few times for support. Definitely dont want them blowing out later on

I had some pm show up a few weeks ago because of the cool wet weather we were having. I did a couple actinovate root drenches and foliars. I also sprayed them with organic neem oil a few times possibly a little too heavy on the last time. Can neem oil burn plants?

I have been trying to keep them more under watered than over watered. I dont have a ph meter but I know my tap water is fairly neutral and my medium shouldn't be very far off either

Now were supposed to get some rain tonight and tomorrow so I probably won't be transplanting... right now I cant think of a way to keep the lights dry

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Thanks for your input hemphrey, I really appreciate the help! I think I'm going to get some cheap rope to wrap around the pots a few times for support. Definitely dont want them blowing out later on

I had some pm show up a few weeks ago because of the cool wet weather we were having. I did a couple actinovate root drenches and foliars. I also sprayed them with organic neem oil a few times possibly a little too heavy on the last time. Can neem oil burn plants?

I have been trying to keep them more under watered than over watered. I dont have a ph meter but I know my tap water is fairly neutral and my medium shouldn't be very far off either

Now were supposed to get some rain tonight and tomorrow so I probably won't be transplanting... right now I cant think of a way to keep the lights dry

I was going to ask if you sprayed anything. Neem can definitely burn plants. They look great otherwise...way bigger than my starts for sure.

HB.

Cayenne

if you buy some hay or alfalfa to use as mulch you could use the bailing rope that comes with it to hold some pots.

whats the ratios you were using on your cootz mix?

20sackzack

Thanks for the idea, I like recycling when I can. I actually already picked up some twine and a bail of Timothy grass because it was the only organic straw at the feed store. It's got a lot of seeds but I dont think that should matter because I'm doing a living mulch already

I started wrapping my pots yesterday but I had other shit to do and it started pouring. Thunder, lightning, hail and huge droplets of rain, it was intense for a minute. I'll probably finish wrapping em today but its supposed to rain again later

Not totally sure what you mean by ratios but I'll post my ingredients. Btw I started my clones in black gold in little 4x4 pots. After a week I transplanted into 2 gallon pots in a mix of the black gold and the cootz I made. I was thinking this would help transition them easier but maybe its the reason im seeing problems

So my soilless mix consists of:

Humus ~ 120 gal or 16 cuft
1/5 yard oly mountain
1/5 yard stutzman chicken compost
1/5 yard "heritage" castings

Aeration ~ 120 gal or 16 cuft
2/5 yard crushed red pumice
1/5 yard rice hull

(I picked up all of the above ingredients at rare earth, its only like 15 minutes away :biggrin: )

Peat ~ 120 gal or 16 cuft
Premier cspm. The bails are compressed listed at 3 cuft but expanded to a bit more than 5 cuft. I used 3 bails which I pre-moistened with water and yucca

So this gave me a little over a yard and a half base.
I decided to use buildasoils cc style nutrient pack to save myself the hassle of finding all the additives on their own. Each large box is recommended for 9 cuft or 1/3 yard. So I decided 5 boxes would be approximately the right amount. Hopefully I was correct lol

And there you have it. I first mixed the compost and aeration together because thats what I got first. Then I moistened the peat with yucca to combat its hydrophobic tendencies. After wetting the peat I mixed it in with my pile. I then spread the dry nutrients on top and mixed mixed mixed. This has been sitting for a couple months now so it should be good to go. Let me know if anyone sees anything wrong with my mix

Ps I think im going to transplant tomorrow after the rain stops :tiphat:

Cayenne

thanks for the detailed response! i love rare earth, i have used their south fork cootz mix and had amazing results. i like your approach to cootz mix, more cost effective in my opinion than buying the pre mixed cootz.

another question i have is how much cover seed did you use for how many pots? im new to the idea of using cover seed and believe it might be a good year for me to start.

http://buildasoil.com/products/clover-cover-crop-blend-13-seed-buildasoil-mix-40-clover

heres the seed i found i presume you were talking about earlier

20sackzack

Yup thats it. I used half a pound on my pots and it seemed like a good amount for my application. Im thinking about buying another half pound to sprinkle around the outside of the pots. Probably overkill though

20sackzack

Made some good progress over the weekend. Got my pots wrapped, mulched and plugged. It feels really good to have them in their homes finally :woohoo:

2lmav07.jpg

2e55tsy.jpg

2446us3.jpg

25z17vo.jpg

20sackzack

Looks great zack

Thanks Noonin, are you doing a thread this year?

Plants are diggin their new homes and this warm weather. I'll take down the supplemental lighting in another week.

Still need to get cages but I dont really want to buy a huge roll of fencing just to use some of it.
Gotta figure out some kind of support soon though

2wgc7rn.jpg

2d9e6o0.jpg

Kosher kush
34pe0bt.jpg

Damn Zack I stepped ur game up this year!! Things are looking great man, I'm looking forward to seeing how things turn out, what are u gonna do for plant support??

Ahh I shoulda read!! I was reading thru the thread after my post and seen u said you might do cages, you should run them fur initial inside support, or at least something similar, trellis and t posts, rebar etc. for the end of the year. That will save u headache at throughout the season, As a matter of fact I just bought a roll of concrete remesh at home depot the other week 150'x60'' it was 102 out the door or something and those 6''x 6'' openings wayy nicer that the 2''x 4'' openings on the welded wire cage, works just as well besides that imo. But you can buy the roll now use it for this year's and if u I ever decide to do more plants or need to replace an existing one for whatever reason you will have it on hand. Anyways man I better quit rambling I got another hour of daylight to work on getting my plants plugged in, so I better get to it!! Keep up the great work 20 sack ur doing awesome.

Latest posts

Latest posts