What's new

Two SIL Tents and a Humidome

FRANKENBUDS

Im usually not too worried about pH if its just a bit off. But 7-8 seems high. Maybe the nutrients are there but they are locked out. If there is already nutes in the soil and you are adding more when you water it might be burn. Seems like theyre fine other than those leaves tho... just me throwing darts

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Im usually not too worried about pH if its just a bit off. But 7-8 seems high. Maybe the nutrients are there but they are locked out. If there is already nutes in the soil and you are adding more when you water it might be burn. Seems like theyre fine other than those leaves tho... just me throwing darts
Yeah I’d rather be watering them with a ph of range of about 6.0-6.5 but I’ve read people saying to NOT adjust with chemical PH stabilizers when using GO line or organic nutrients in general because it can kill the micro herd. And since GO Bloom lowers the PH like crazy I figure between that and the nutrients in the soil PH should kinda buffer out... since only one out of three strains is having this issue it almost makes me not want to run that strain any more... maybe it’s just a real finicky strain or pheno. I’m not super worried about it yet because the buds look pretty good still.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Random Christmas time GG budshot. 7 weeks 2 days of flower.
picture.php

ScrogMonster

Veteran
These girls are about 8wks into flower now. All 5000k all the way. Don’t think I’ll have any 2700k in any of my sockets ever again.

I might let them go one more week as I’m not seeing even ten percent amber. These pics are from a few days ago but most of all three strains trichs are almost all cloudy at this point with the Tangelo showing maybe 2-5% amber, just a few here and there.
Bottom Row. BG BG Tangelo.
picture.php

Top Row. BG GG GG.

picture.php

Tangelo

picture.php

BG

picture.php

GG

picture.php

ScrogMonster

Veteran
I’ll post more close ups and bud shots soon. I might strip most of all the fan leaves off and do a good bit of steaming/tying/supporting soon so all the buds are getting really good light and airflow for about a week maybe to really ripen things up a bit before I cut these lady’s down. After I do I’ll post some pics of that......

New state MMJ laws and missing some deadlines.... long story short I will sadly no longer be keeping moms, taking cuttings, or having more then four plants. :tear: very sad.

However I plan to do some real fun exciting wacky shit to try and have a nice perpetual flow still with all the strains I want. I plan take those tables out of the tents and hang the two light fixtures vertically all the way against the left and ride sides of the tents with the light shining in toward the middle. I’ll have one massive plant in each tent in a container around 15”x20”x15” and I plan to divide the tents vertically with light barriers I.e. foam reflective insulation/black poly, into 3 coulombs. The coulomb in the middle where the pot is I’ll have a few bulbs on an 18/6 veg schedule. The side coulombs with the light fixtures will finish the vegging of maybe 8 branches that pass through the light barrier and then flower them out.

I hope to be able to graft one branch of each of the five strains I currently have onto both of these plants. Then I’ll focus extra light on the strain/branch that I’d like to grow out next, pass them through the light barrier when tall/long enough. Then grow/flower them out while I keep the other strains/branches in the middle in veg slightly dormant with low light and lots of tying/pruning. Once in a while I’ll need to prune the roots of coarse. It’s gonna be some crazy fun. I hope the grafting works out... and the flowering branches of a giant mother plant thing... I hope that works out too... any one know of others successfully growing this way before? Any threads out there. It’s gonna be fun! Hold onto your butts!

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Been reading the thread, kudos for your greenthumb ScrogMonster!! :tiphat:

I'm planning my new indoor (just moved recently) and the new space calls for a setup similar to yours, thanks for sharing your progress!!

Place is a small locker room with 2 showers and a bigger space where I plan to flower sativas; I though on doing a similar setup to yours for the shower spaces, to have mom chamber, cloning, clone vegging and possibly a space for males.

Will look for insulation, I think I read you had problems with temperature?

Regarding your cloning issues with rockwool, I learnt the hard way is of paramount importance to:

- set PH to 5.4-5.6
- presoak them overnight and rinse them a little once cuts are in, by the pictures I'd say yours look too damp... I just poke a hole, stick the cutting then pinch the cube a little so that it has the optimal humidity (not dripping) and makes better contact with the wool.
- keep them covered but aereate them daily

otherwise you'll get slime, clones not rooting or fungus. I've cloned using this method with great success, both with and without clonex, this method is specially good for micro cuttings (like yours).

I also was reluctant to use RO water in the past. From grower to grower: I switched in 2018, and won't look back, you simplify growing soooo much by eliminating out a bazillion variables that happen with hard water...

As an example: I haven't used PH-/+ almost at all this year, with coco I just added the salts I used to 90% RO water and and it went straight to 5.8 without having to adjust PH at all.

I only used some baking soda for PH+ on the most hot summer months as even RO water asked for it.

And... I had zero indoor pest issues this year too. The point is RO simplifies everything. Previous year I had all sorts of pests (aphids, red mites, white flies, mold...) which I think appear indoor as soon as you have unbalances due to e.g. salt buildup, excess nitrogen, suboptimal temperatures etc.

In fact, the twin massive Golden Tiger x Panama were clones I hastily took by just cutting a lower branch that was in the way for repotting/training, split in half and just dipped on a couple fistfuls of coco and some RO water on the bottom of a pot, placing the pot underneath a big plant... (on a temp/humidity controlled indoor vegging tent) I've found this method works great with bigger cuts.

Regarding those dying leaves... could be lack of aeration?

Incredible netless scrogging my friend!! I dig the same method! (shaping them by FIMming, LST, and crunch n' bend)

Lastly, huge respect for you soil growers... so many variables! I prefer coco indoors (cleaner, easier...), in fact, this year outdoor 50% of plants were all in coco, planning to do the same this year.

PCBuds

Vertical Scrog.

Vertical Scrog.

... I plan take those tables out of the tents and hang the two light fixtures vertically all the way against the left and ride sides of the tents with the light shining in toward the middle...

Here's a link to a vertical scrog that you might find interesting.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=368036

(I don't know if that link works... Here's a picture of the first page.)

starke

Interesting plan you have. I'm anxious to see how it all comes together. Best of luck.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Starke Thanks friend. Same here, I hope it works out, I’ll be posting updates and picks of the build here! :dance:

Fitzera Thank you!

PCBuds Thanks. I’ve done a good bit of vertical scrog in the past. It’s the flowering 80% of a plant while keeping the middle 20% in veg that is a new thing that I’m wondering if any one has ever kept a plant vegging while passing branches through a light barrier into a 12/12 room before.

Repuk Thanks!! Right when I get my cutting method down and am having success I find out I won’t be needing any cuttings any more cause I’ll be only using 4 or less plants and grafting branches to have more strains and trying to flower a plants branches while keeping the core in veg. The dying leaves I don’t need to worry anymore either because I’m not keeping the BG strain and it was the only one doing that really.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
The thread title mentions two SIL tents and one has been powered down and used as storage for like a month or two. I whittled my plants down to five strains and cleaned out the second tent and threw them in there. My plan is to get all five strains grafted onto each of the two biggest plants with the most branches.
picture.php

Here’s a closer look at the Barney’s Farm Peyote cookies seedling.
picture.php

Here is the Delicious seeds Sugar Black Rose. Can’t wait to smoke this. Definitely the two new seedlings are the first branches I’m going to flower out. They look a droopy in these pics cause it’s almost their bedtime and they’re a little sleepy. Sweet girls.

picture.php

Top row of the veg/graft tent. Tangelo, Lemon Meringue, GG #4.
picture.php

Here’s a better look at that Lemon Meringue, it’s the the biggest in the room. Most branches, very hardy. Definitely using this as one of the two stock plants for the tents.

picture.php

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Here’s a few of my first attempts at grafting. I’m putting a GG scion and a Tangelo Scion on the Lemon Meringue host. We’ll see about it. I may very well take some cuttings and root them and plant them in like 5oz cups of soil support them with a stake next to branch and try approach grafting if this method proves to difficult.
This first one is GG onto the LM. Funny how good those puzzle pieces fit haha. Almost hard to tell where the graft is. It’s on the very bottom there.

picture.php

Here’s a close up of that graft.

picture.php

This one is the Tangelo onto the LM. Much more obvious with this one where the Scion meets the host.
picture.php

Here’s the GG cut wrapped up in... I can’t remember if I put any seran wrap under the aluminum tape or on this first one I might have just used the backing of the tape for a bandaid middle thing so nothing is sticking to the plant but the aluminum tape makes for a nice splint type structure.

picture.php

On the Tangelo on the left in this next photo I wrapped a small piece of seran wrap around the splice first then went over that with aluminum tape. Again that way nothing is sticking to the branch but the aluminum tape splints it up nice and the seran wrap seals it up underneath.

picture.php

Fingers crossed y’all.

PCBuds

I have no knowledge of grafting.

If your graft works, are you creating a hybrid, or is the rooted plant just a "surrogate mother" for the graft?

Will the result have the genetics of both plants?

(what you're doing is way over my head.)

norcalKTM

Awesome dude that’s sick, following for sure.
PCBuds it would be how ever many grafted strains onto a plant. It’s done with fruit trees a lot limes with lemons etc. My only concern with this is marijuana is a annual not a perennial. Good luck my dude

Mr. J

I have no knowledge of grafting.

If your graft works, are you creating a hybrid, or is the rooted plant just a "surrogate mother" for the graft?

Will the result have the genetics of both plants?

(what you're doing is way over my head.)
It's just sticking a branch of one plant onto the rootstock of another plant. The part below the graft has its own genetics and the part above has its own different genetics. There is no mixing of genes.

PCBuds

Awesome dude that’s sick, following for sure.
PCBuds it would be how ever many grafted strains onto a plant. It’s done with fruit trees a lot limes with lemons etc. My only concern with this is marijuana is a annual not a perennial. Good luck my dude

I know they "crossed" a peach with a plum to get nectarines but I don't know if this is the same?

PCBuds

It's just sticking a branch of one plant onto the rootstock of another plant...

So why do it?

Wouldn't a clone be easier and faster?

(sorry for my ignorance Scrog.)

I'm just wondering...

If you had a rooted plant with grafts from three different stains on it, would it count as four plants?

Last edited:

Mr. J

So why do it?

Wouldn't a clone be easier and faster?

(sorry for my ignorance Scrog.)
There are a number of reasons for doing it to fruit trees and grape vines, certain rootstock resist disease in the soil better, I'm not an expert. Apple growers do it a lot. I read something about California rootstock saving grapevines in France a long time ago. One day I'm going to make a mother plant with all my keepers on a single rootstock. That way if I need to bounce fast I can take one plant and still have everything.