What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Two SIL Tents and a Humidome

ScrogMonster

Veteran
WOW!! Another swicker! Looking great, man. I’m always in awe of you fellows with great scrog abilities. My only attempt failed miserably.

I made the transition to a self replenishing swick system about a year ago and can’t imagine ever doing anything else. Super simplistic.
Right?! I’m lovin sub irrigation. I still water a little GO bloom n some additives over the top around once/wk but I never have to worry about the girls being thirsty.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Cool setup and masterful training. :tiphat:

Thank you kindly. I always fantasized about SOG grows and I’ve done it a few times but scrogging has been the way for me to keep legal plant numbers and not have to worry and it’s pretty sweet too. I love these topped/mainlined BG’s though that didn’t get to tall and didn’t need the screens. It’s a screenless scrog sort of but even better. I’m gonna try to time things better and keep doing that I think. Although colas be fallin over and I’ll have to steak those girls up pretty soon.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

P

pongster

Thanks friend. SIL stands for Screw In LED... the not so new any more energy saving bulbs you buy to put in a lamp or any light fixture in your home. You just pop the globes off they’re ready to grow. The fixtures I made from 1x3 boards, screws, cheap light sockets from amazon/China and those standard 6ft $1.50 ext chords that are basically lamp wire but cheaper by the foot actually and come with a plug and outlet you can use for daisy chaining if you want. For a little more deets just read my first post in this thread.

thanks bro! wow, will check those in more detail,

you certainly have the greenthumb and killer skills,
i'm astonished at your training on those flowering plants, A+ game. thanks for sharing!
cheers!!!!1!
:rasta:

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
These bastards.... I don’t wanna have to switch to hard pots but I might have to just for this reason. That’s a fungus gnat larva having a field day on the org nutes and roots coming out of the fabric pots.
S.F nematodes will get rid of those fungus gnats. :good:

PCBuds

S.F nematodes will get rid of those fungus gnats. :good:

I'm guessing that nematodes might be a better heavy weapon against the gnats.

The soil mites are really tiny (I had to use my microscope on my camera to get a picture.)

It sounds like nematodes might work faster.

Soil mites may work better as a preventative measure.

" Apply Steinernema feltiae Nemattack, Sf to the growing media. The beneficial nematodes will parasitize existing fungus gnat larvae, slow their feeding and kill them.

S. scimitus (H. miles) helps break up the life cycle and eventually controls fungus gnat infestations by feeding on larvae and pupae. This small mite also feeds on thrips pupae and spring tails. "

"eventually" being the key word.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I'm guessing that nematodes might be a better heavy weapon against the gnats.

The soil mites are really tiny (I had to use my microscope on my camera to get a picture.)

It sounds like nematodes might work faster.

Soil mites may work better as a preventative measure.

" Apply Steinernema feltiae Nemattack, Sf to the growing media. The beneficial nematodes will parasitize existing fungus gnat larvae, slow their feeding and kill them.

S. scimitus (H. miles) helps break up the life cycle and eventually controls fungus gnat infestations by feeding on larvae and pupae. This small mite also feeds on thrips pupae and spring tails. "

"eventually" being the key word.

They work, but require repeat applications since they only work on one part of the lifecycle. Combine Strateo-S mites, S.F nematodes, and rove beatles for severe fungus gnat infestations.

PCBuds

What about all his other pest controls ?

Will they kill his working army?

Will he end up with Beatles or Nematodes all over his house ?

Last edited:

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions. I just MITE do that....:biggrin:

Also I think I am going to switch to hard pots for my next cycle and drill a bunch of holes in the bottom. Lay landscaping fabric in the bottom and fill the bottom with perlite/sand in addition to sand on top. They’ll wick really well and also hopefully keep the gnats out. Might get mites also, maybe some nemer toads.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
I was sent a question from some one wondering how many watts/sqft I’m using. These aren’t the most efficient SIL’s at 17w for 1600lm but 306w per fixture over 8sqft comes out to 38.25w/sqft

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Nice scrog and plants !

Thanks Verdant! That means a lot to me coming from you. I’ve lurked your threads and admired your plants years and years ago!
“Plants tend to take the shape of the space they’re given.... at least I hope.” ;)

Ima check out your links a bit later and see what you’ve been up to lately.

Thanks for dropping by. :biggrin::tiphat:

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Finally got the fixture up for the Mom portion of my cab. I accidentally hung it kinda low so most of those bulbs are just 10w... I’m hoping that works out okay I find the 17w bulbs seem to grow much healthier plants and need nice healthy moms for nice healthy clones so I might have to raise the fixture and switch the bulbs if it looks like the 10w’s ain’t cutting it. I might get nervous and have the time at some point and just do that preemptively.
picture.php

Delicious Black Sugar Rose and Barney’s Farm Peyote Cookies seedlings coming along nicely.
picture.php

Bottom Row group shot. BG BG Tangelo
picture.php

Top Row group shot. BG GG GG
picture.php

Tangelo is goin so hard. I love how neatly this strain stands so pretty.
picture.php

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Okay so I’ve been having trouble with my cuttings lately. I’ve fixed a couple things and re enforced sterile clean cutting with an xacto knife. I went from soaking the cuttings for 24-48 hours in water in open air under too much light - to going straight to clonex gel and either RW or Perlite. I grabbed a proper tray/dome instead of the make shift I was using which had too much ventilation. I softened the light they were getting to a degree where this batch still looks healthy at 10 days instead of all messed up.

I turned the heat down on the seed matt as well. From 83F to 79F.

I use my city water. It’s good quality. You can smell the chlorine. Hydro store guy has success with it and vouches for the quality.

I feel like something is still off though. Here’s some pictures to illustrate.

The cuttings are at day 10.

The cutting looks fine from a distance.
picture.php

Here’s what that ones stem looks like though.
picture.php

Here’s another cutting and then it’s stem with more root bump mass looking like it isn’t living up to a 1/3 of its potential for vibrancy/life.
picture.php

picture.php

It’s like it was on its way there and then got slowed down to almost paralyzed or by.... rot/slime? Is it getting to hot at some point? Stayed too humid for too long? I didn’t open the holes in the dome till after day 7 maybe but it didn’t even look foggy in there. There was very little if any condensation on the dome.

I’m willing to bet some one can tell me what this is. Is it stem rot? Is that the same as slime?

At one point, days ago maybe 3-4, that “root bump mass” for lack of better terminology, was healthy vibrant white looking and slightly fuzzy in a rooting way. I feel like I would normally see that situation turn into a cluster of roots in a day or two. However it has instead turned darker in color, much less vibrant and more translucent.... and barely progressed at all if not regressed or lost life. This is the general theme amongst all the cuttings in the dome. 6 in RW, 4 in perlite, and 4 suspended in cups of still water. My cups of still water clones for sure had slime show up and I rinsed the shit out of em and have been rinsing and refreshing the cups every other day since I saw slime and have been adding Rapid start as well. Everything has had rapid start in the water from day 1. I read in a thread here some where it was supposed to help prevent root rot/slime in addition to encouraging explosive rooting. Some of the clones look better then others and I’m confident they will root. But I feel like they still have a week or so to get there. I know out of the many cuttings I took some will still root and that’s not that as important so much as me honing a consistently successful healthy and timely clone method down.

Two things I plan to do soon are get new rooting hormone... going try powder this time. I might try soaking the cuttings in water with super thrive for 30min as I saw Starke do on his thread. I also plan to switch to fluorescent bulbs for cloning because that’s what I used to use when I had much more success and it does seem like ever since I switched to trying to root under SIL’s for some reason I have had very little “success” I haven’t lost strains the cutting tend to root eventually (4-5 batches like this now) but it takes them wayyyy to long like a month and are stunted and ugly AF by the time they get there. Last batch took over a week after planting just to start looking like they were gaining some momentum. I have hunch that flouros would work better.

Any one else have any other tips or suggestions for me to try?

Is this “root bump mass” indeed being hindered by some sort of fungal infection? Rot/slime or w/e?

Healthy timely cuttings are so satisfying. The opposite is stressing me out. Help me.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
I’ve also tried the bubble cloning method a few different times since I’ve lived where I’m at and always end up with slime and no roots. Related? I’ve tried the still water “solo cloning method” too with same result. The water was not heated intentionally in any of those 3 different instances but that veg/clone box fluctuates in temp and it might get a little hot sometimes.

PCBuds

I use my city water. It’s good quality. You can smell the chlorine. Hydro store guy has success with it and vouches for the quality.

I don't think that's good.

I don't use tap water for my seeds/seedlings.
I use bottled water and even distilled water to germinate my seeds.

Chlorine may help to kill slime and mold but it can also burn your tiny little root hairs or kill a seed.

I don't use tap water on my plant until it's well established and even then I let it de-gas for at least a few days.

I'm pretty sure I could even kill an established plant with tap water straight from the tap to my plant.

I'm thinking distilled water with just a light dose of nutes for your clones.

Even too many nutes can kill a tender clone.

Latest posts

Latest posts