What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Two SIL Tents and a Humidome

ScrogMonster

Veteran
I don't think that's good.

I don't use tap water for my seeds/seedlings.
I use bottled water and even distilled water to germinate my seeds.

Chlorine may help to kill slime and mold but it can also burn your tiny little root hairs or kill a seed.

I don't use tap water on my plant until it's well established and even then I let it de-gas for at least a few days.

I'm pretty sure I could even kill an established plant with tap water straight from the tap to my plant.

I'm thinking distilled water with just a light dose of nutes for your clones.

Even too many nutes can kill a tender clone.

The straight tap water is doing great for everything else. In my previous batch I tried RO water and it didn’t change anything. I felt results were even worse. I popped and watered my seedlings with my tap water straight from the tap and they did great and look great.

I buy into this thread here when it comes into chlorine and cuttings.
Chlorine is the missing link

PCBuds

I buy into this thread here when it comes into chlorine and cuttings.
Chlorine is the missing link

Huh, ...

I read the first part of that thread and don't know what to say.

I remember about 5-6 years ago a neighbor cut a piece of his plant off and stuck it in my cooler.

It grew..

No nutes, rooting compound, humidor or anything.

I dunno ??
Maybe you have some sort of pathogen ??

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Huh, ...

I read the first part of that thread and don't know what to say.

I remember about 5-6 years ago a neighbor cut a piece of his plant off and stuck it in my cooler.

It grew..

No nutes, rooting compound, humidor or anything.

I dunno ??
Maybe you have some sort of pathogen ??

I think so bro. After reading the chlorine thread again I decided to make a fresh batch of home made clear Rez and maybe I’ll do a little side by side here and we’ll see how that goes.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
I got a question in my PM’s about my plant training so I thought I’d show a good example of a plant in the current veg cycle I’m getting ready for flowering.

Top view

picture.php

Side view

picture.php

“Tippy topping” I’ll call it.
picture.php

It’s basically main lining which is usually done with seedlings where the nodes/growths are nice and symmetrical. Cuttings of course have that staggered node pattern. So to get as close as possible to the same effect I just pluck snip or cut the very “tippy top” growth and keep the only the two growths just under that one. So the nodal space between the two is very short and the resulting two branches are as even as possible. after tippy topping I wait until the resulting two branches are at least about cutting size to do it again. On a whole I just try to keep the canopy even tying the tallest ones down and “tippy topping” them, while lollipoping the smallest ones until they get tall enough to tippy top. I LST/Lollipop/tippy top until I have the desired amount of colas then I just continue to lollipop them all and tie them to keep an even canopy until it’s time for flowering.

When the timing works out right I don’t even need a screen. Just a few stakes when colas get too heavy. Here’s my bigger screenless Bubblegum right now at day 1 of week 6 flowering. From the the top of the pot to the top of the tallest cola is about 12” distance. The longest colas measure about 6-7” average probably around 5”. They’re not all perfectly even but it’s a nice spread. I trained for 24 colas for all six plants in this tent.
picture.php

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Day 1 of week 6 photos.

Bottom row group shot
picture.php

Top row group shot

picture.php

Bubblegum that needed a screen. The two colas at the bottom left in the pic are of the GG next to it. Rest is BG colas.

picture.php

The the GG’s next to that BG

picture.php

The oh so beautiful Tangelo. This is my first run of it and its def gonna stay in my mom count for some time.

picture.php

ScrogMonster

Veteran
My smallest BG with no screen. This one was actually from a subsequent batch of cuttings that was added into the cycle a few weeks behind the others and managed to catch up pretty nice, I was able to get my 24 tops.
picture.php

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Nug/cola close up time.

BG

picture.php

Yummy yummy GG. My favorite smoke for sure so far.

picture.php

Tangelo gets three close up photo’s because...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Legalcdn

When you used the bubble cloner..how long did you wait for roots? I have been 100% successful but i have had to wait almost 14 days..with tap water.. some people use willow tree branches cut and steeped..then add a little bit to wat er.

I do sils also..315w..vanity lights. I slso mainline..great method.

Nice setup you have.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Thanks guys.

LegalCdn - I waited longer then that. I def had slime on those stems. That’s probably the main issue right? I might think it’s happening because I don’t really have 100% proper ventilation on that veg cab that the cuttings are on the top shelf of. It may at times even once get too hot and then that’s causing the slime/stem rot? I’m guessing. Soon to complete sealing off of the veg/mom/clone cab and installation of a duct booster fan unfiltered, and lights traps so that it’s not so bright in my.... bedroom, btw all this shit is in my bedroom haha. I’m their CO2 generator and I always have many girls in bedroom at once ;) also high right now.

FrankenBuds - Thanks homie, SIL’s are so sweet especially at 1$ each for 1600lm :)

FRANKENBUDS

Im just kind of pouring over that bottom feed perlite wick system you have there..:laughing: whole nother level of genius!

How hard is it for you to accomodate stretch? Or do you continue to train until they stop?

Legalcdn

Mainlining for seeds because of same level internodes. Manifolding for clones. I don't need to scrog and they are perfect for SILs and a flat canopy. Scrogmonster..you grow great..

I would not use the heat mat. The SILs provide lots of heat. My clone bubbler..i never cut the leaves in half..no heat..

i also had great success in plain water in a ceramic coffee mug with no light hitting roots..change water every other day..no leaf cutting..no bubbler.. you will be shocked at results..

Don't mean to hijack.. sorry (typical canadian).

Last edited:

PCBuds

There was something your thread title that I just couldn't put my finger on.

I couldn't just read the title, I'd sing it.

It finally hit me. Lol

(sorry for trashin up your thread.. carry on.)

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Im just kind of pouring over that bottom feed perlite wick system you have there..:laughing: whole nother level of genius!

How hard is it for you to accomodate stretch? Or do you continue to train until they stop?

Thanks FrankenBuds, I didn’t come up with it myself. I can’t remember if I saw it on a thread here or it mighta been a YouTube video actually called Revenge of the SIP’s (Sub Irrigated Planters) I think I saw both but seedling trays work great for the 3gal pot size. The 2” couplers for watering holes and the use of the poly with a circle cut out held in place with Bobby pins are tweeks that I came up with though. I train after stretch is over if they need it and I never really stop tweaking branches in the canopy if I see something that could/should be adjusted I usually do it. I actually snapped one of those GG branches damn near clean off about week 3 into flower trying to reposition it. I grabbed some aluminum tape and put a piece of the backing in the middle of the tape; wrapped it up right quick and it totally healed fine and is doing great.

Which made me think I should graft together some multi strain moms. Not sure when but I will be attempting that and show it here on this thread.

PCBuds

Haahahahaha you got it! ;) I was wondering if some one would call me out on that shit lol! Good job bud :)

I had a fricken earworm since I found your thread.
I kept singing that song in my head but had to use your lyrics because I didn't know what the hell I was singing.

All I could come up with was
"I got two sumthin-sumthin's an a microphone"

"Turntable" finally came to me tonight.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Mainlining for seeds because of same level internodes. Manifolding for clones. I don't need to scrog and they are perfect for SILs and a flat canopy. Scrogmonster..you grow great..

I would not use the heat mat. The SILs provide lots of heat. My clone bubbler..i never cut the leaves in half..no heat..

i also had great success in plain water in a ceramic coffee mug with no light hitting roots..change water every other day..no leaf cutting..no bubbler.. you will be shocked at results..

Don't mean to hijack.. sorry (typical canadian).

You aren’t hijacking at all. Your input is very welcome and very relevant, also it’s nice to have friends to talk to in here. You’re also sort of reaffirming what I’ve been suspecting, that too much heat is probably causing an issue of bacterial or fungal growth... stem slime/rot or whatever.

I went out and got some new rooting hormone as well. I’m trying out Dip N Grow atm with cuttings I took off my seedlings. Will post pics later. I put them in 16oz solo cups of perlite with holes in the bottom sitting in a second solo cup with no holes so that I can flush them out with freah chlorinated water but they can also have a small reservoir on the bottom. So far those cups are not in the tray/dome that’s on the heating mat. They’re just sitting on the lower shelf of the veg cab in the corner away from the lights so they’re not getting to much light or heat. The six hours that the lights are off in the middle of the night though I think it’s probably good to have them on the mat. Maybe I should just turn the thermostat on the mat down to 75. I had it at 83 for previous batches. Now it’s at 79. I also made a fresh batch of home made “Clear Rez” and am using the chlorinated water on the cuttings I just took. I also flushed everything in my dome with that chlorinated water in hopes to kill off whatever is stopping them from rooting and get them to finish. It’s been a day or two over two weeks at this point and nothing has roots yet but many have the early signs that have been there for a whole week but seemed to regress after rot/slime/mold. One or two cuttings actually have a small patch of damn green mold either on the stem or in one case on the bottom of the RW cylinder. I slowly poured the chlorinated water over those spots. We’ll see if it helps. I have RW, perlite, and still water methods going in there. I’m also going to get some small probably 13w flouros to go over the dome and might do a side by side with flouros vs dampened SIL’s and see if there is a difference and also I plan to do a side by side with home made Clear Rez vs plain tap water. Stay tuned ya’ll. Also I just can’t stop wanting to do new things always so I may be putting together a stealth little micro SOG deal just to satisfy my fantasies. I really want some short little 3-4 gram nug plants. Also it’ll give me something to do with mother plant trimmings other then just throw them out. I’ll probably make a separate thread for my micro SOG escapades and may also supplement some of those with some blurple LEDs for a side by side of 10w SIL’S vs 10w SIL’s with added blurple. Sometimes my obsession with growing MJ really consumes me. Meh... too much fun.:woohoo:

PCBuds

Haahahahaha you got it! ;) I was wondering if some one would call me out on that shit lol! Good job bud :)

Do you know what it's like to pull a 2-3 week long tapeworm out of your ear ?

I think as punishment, you should rewrite the entire rest of the song, in your own words and send it to Beck and Weird Al !! Lol