What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tri_Cho_Me's First Grow & Grow Diary

Tri_Cho_Me

Day 47 From Seed Update

Day 47 From Seed Update

Hey Ya'll

As you saw in my last post, I just decided to quit being a chicken and ScrOG. I started slowly by just forcing the screen down on some branches while they were still in the 1 gallon Smart Pots. The next day little more, etc. Then, over the weekend, I moved them from the 1 galloners to the 5 gallon Smarties. I put the ScrOG right back on and the next day they were perky as all get out.

A couple weeks back I popped some bag seed beans and had them in solo cups for a while. When I re-potted the two older ladies, I also re-potted the bag seeders into 1 gallon Smart Pots. I think I'll flower these this round even though they're not ready. It's more of an experiment than anything anyway. Of course I'll keep an eye out for sex as I have no clue what these are. No way I am going to let my stupid bag seed polinate my Strawberry Kush ladies.

So, in the end, I am happy I ScrOG'd and plan on going another week or so before flipping to flower. I want to be sure everything is super happy and enjoying life in their new homes.

Here is the initial placement of my scrog. The fence material is zip-tied to the tent poles, so it's super easy to adjust up and down. I slowly lowered each corner until I started moving some branches.

Here is where #1 ended up after I finally stopped...

Oops, went a little far with #1. But it wasn't major and she's doing fine now.

And how they both look today. Both seem to be doing very well!

I also turned the Bloom switch on today to go along with the Veg switch on my Advanced Platinum Series P450. Directions sent with the light indicate to do this in late veg.

Thanks for following along!

Feel free to provide any tips, suggestions or comments.

Tri_Cho_Me

Tri_Cho_Me

Day 47 From Seed Update - Additional pics

Day 47 From Seed Update - Additional pics

Here's the lowers of #2

Lowers of #1

#1's tear a week after injury

Fiddynut

Nice job

Nice job

Looking good Tri_Cho_Me.
You are doing a great job on this grow. You have a good plan and are executing it well. Get ready for those girls to take off when you switch to 12/12. I looking forward to seeing how frosty those girls get in a few weeks. Keep up the good work.

Tri_Cho_Me

Looking good Tri_Cho_Me.
You are doing a great job on this grow. You have a good plan and are executing it well. Get ready for those girls to take off when you switch to 12/12. I looking forward to seeing how frosty those girls get in a few weeks. Keep up the good work.

Appreciate the kind words, friend. I too am anxious to get these into flower. Just trying to be patient though. The ScrOG really hasn't been installed for all that long and I want to give everyone a chance to get used to it. Also, make sure they're happy in their new homes.

Post 311! "Amber is the color of your energy, whoooaaa..."

Tri_Cho_Me

Tri_Cho_Me

Day 51 From Seed Update

Day 51 From Seed Update

Gave the girls a good drink of the MaxiBloom solution on Thursday.

I added two additional 50 Watt bulbs in some clip on lights that I tried to attach to the tent poles. They're fairly heavy so it's not super easy to direct the way I want it. I love the additional coverage though and the bulbs and clamps were super cheap.

I am also in the beginning stages of going no-till after this round (see link in my signature) and just broadcasted the cover crop (clover) last night.
I also have a veg cabinet I'm starting (see link in my signature) and got the T5 setup finalized as well last night.

Tri_Cho_Me

Attachments

• 50 watt single LED bulbs.jpg
    50 watt single LED bulbs.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Clip on lights.jpg
    Clip on lights.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Supplemental lighting.jpg
    Supplemental lighting.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 16

Tri_Cho_Me

Your light is way too far away that led produces very little heat. Put it around 12 inches above.

The canopy is currently 23-24 inches from the main light, which is what is recommended. I also have both the Veg and Bloom switches on which they said to do in late veg.

What makes you think it's too far away? It isn't all about heat...

Tri_Cho_Me

T

TreehouseJ

The canopy is currently 23-24 inches from the main light, which is what is recommended. I also have both the Veg and Bloom switches on which they said to do in late veg.

What makes you think it's too far away? It isn't all about heat...

Tri_Cho_Me

Did you raise the lights to take pictures? I would say your lights look to be around ~36 inches away judging from your photo. I like to hang a piece of string from my lights so I'm not burning my eyes trying to stick a tape measure in there 10x per cycle.

Good call on the screen. The only time and place I could ever imagine ditching screens is in a commercial grow situation, and even then..

Only down side is your plants get locked in place, which can become a nuisance, especially in hydro. If you can find a way to make modular screens though, you get the best of both worlds.

Being able to push my plants to opposite sides of my tent to give me ~8" of clearance is essential for me to get in the back to raise my lights, and train the back corners into the screen.

I also find things get pretty wacky and clustered in my screens if I don't lst my plants to grow horizontally around the perimeter of my containers before they hit the screens.

Getting rid of sucker branches becomes a pretty big deal. If they aren't going to have the room or the momentum to stretch into the screen, they are just going to get weighed down by buds and flop down below your containers.

Tri_Cho_Me

Did you raise the lights to take pictures? I would say your lights look to be around ~36 inches away judging from your photo. I like to hang a piece of string from my lights so I'm not burning my eyes trying to stick a tape measure in there 10x per cycle.

Good call on the screen. The only time and place I could ever imagine ditching screens is in a commercial grow situation, and even then..

Only down side is your plants get locked in place, which can become a nuisance, especially in hydro. If you can find a way to make modular screens though, you get the best of both worlds.

Being able to push my plants to opposite sides of my tent to give me ~8" of clearance is essential for me to get in the back to raise my lights, and train the back corners into the screen.

I also find things get pretty wacky and clustered in my screens if I don't lst my plants to grow horizontally around the perimeter of my containers before they hit the screens.

Getting rid of sucker branches becomes a pretty big deal. If they aren't going to have the room or the momentum to stretch into the screen, they are just going to get weighed down by buds and flop down below your containers.

I did not raise the light to take pictures, I think it is the angle. I may have been sitting when I took the picture, can't remember. I also have Method 7 grow glasses so no straining here.

I am probably going to let things go another week or so and see where we're at. If I flip to flower and after the stretch some of the lowers are just eating up space, I will probably chop them. But, for now I will keep going and play it by ear. Better safe than sorry I suppose.

Tri_Cho_Me

T

TreehouseJ

I am no authority by any means on pruning, but to the best of my understanding, it should all be done in veg.

I love scrogging. Setting everything up through veg is like setting up a chess attack. Flipping those lights is the equivalent of beginning my attack. You want to set yourself up before hand, ime. Chances of everything going according to plan on your first scrog is slim to nil, but it will still up your yield a ton and provide a lot of support for all those big colas.

Make sure you pay attention to both the branches you cut, and the branches might have cut. Take notes. You need everything spaced out enough to breathe, or a good chunk of your yield will turn out light light light lime green and under developed, but you also don't want things so thinned out that you have light penetrating through your canopy. That is wasted light.

If you can start popping off all the little tiny heads that haven't started developing on the lower parts of the plant and on the branches closest to the main stem , it will help a lot to direct growth to the top of the plant where you can control everything to grow horizontally. I will strategically leave some of these "suckers" in place (usually towards the center of the plant) if I feel it is under a part of the canopy where light is going to penetrate.

Tri_Cho_Me

I am no authority by any means on pruning, but to the best of my understanding, it should all be done in veg.

I love scrogging. Setting everything up through veg is like setting up a chess attack. Flipping those lights is the equivalent of beginning my attack. You want to set yourself up before hand, ime. Chances of everything going according to plan on your first scrog is slim to nil, but it will still up your yield a ton and provide a lot of support for all those big colas.

Make sure you pay attention to both the branches you cut, and the branches might have cut. Take notes. You need everything spaced out enough to breathe, or a good chunk of your yield will turn out light light light lime green and under developed, but you also don't want things so thinned out that you have light penetrating through your canopy. That is wasted light.

If you can start popping off all the little tiny heads that haven't started developing on the lower parts of the plant and on the branches closest to the main stem , it will help a lot to direct growth to the top of the plant where you can control everything to grow horizontally. I will strategically leave some of these "suckers" in place (usually towards the center of the plant) if I feel it is under a part of the canopy where light is going to penetrate.

I have been trimming up underneath slowly. If a leaf is getting light, I leave it. If it is far enough down and not getting light anymore, I will remove it. I also have been trying to prune those little leaf buds as early as possible. Little suckers are persistent!

I have heard trimming in the first week or two of flower is fine, but generally not good to do it later than that. I could be wrong though.

Tri_Cho_Me

chronosync

Well-stoned member
To my knowledge and in my little experience I've found that pruning like taking branches and lollipoping is best done within the first two weeks, while stretching and somewhat after the stretch you should be cleaning it all up. After stretch I try to let them be. Light pruning, like persistent suckers and training should be fine throught. Any supercrppping I guess like breaking branches should be done before flip, IMO.

Tri_Cho_Me

To my knowledge and in my little experience I've found that pruning like taking branches and lollipoping is best done within the first two weeks, while stretching and somewhat after the stretch you should be cleaning it all up. After stretch I try to let them be. Light pruning, like persistent suckers and training should be fine throught. Any supercrppping I guess like breaking branches should be done before flip, IMO.

Thanks man, appreciate the guidance! :dance:

Tri_Cho_Me

chomsky

Exactly

Tri_Cho_Me

Read up about PAR and light penetration.

The light is within the range...23-24 inches..with the new growth deducting off that.

I feel like for my space (4x2x7 tent) my main Advanced Platinum P450 (with both Veg & Bloom switches on) with the two 50 Watt single LED bulbs is fine.

Here is a side-by-side comparison with a Mars Hydro where he goes over the PAR of the P450.
On Amazon, it is a $539 light with a rating of 4 1/2 stars out 5. But I guess it's not good enough.

I have read up on PAR and I feel like I'm fine. Are there better lights out there? Of course. I am growing two plants and some bag seed. Give me a break. :comfort:

Tri_Cho_Me

Last edited:

chomsky

Dude I'm off your grow. You're way to sensitive. You ask for advice and get offended at almost every comment. You're fine on your own. Doing good bro. Have fun.

Last edited: