What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tri_Cho_Me's First Grow & Grow Diary

pH_This

Dude youre going to start hating me. Just tell me to stop making comments before you do, but....

Again slow down. In a week those roots will not even be close to filling the pots they are currently in. Why are you so bent on getting into big 5 gallon pots so quick? since you are not scrogging there is no hurry to get into final 5 gallon pots. Let the roots pack the pot they are in.

Im actually glad I keep giving you this advice because I just started a test grow for Karma Genetics (you should follow) and everytime I want to speed things up, I think of the good advice Im giving you and I dont want to be a hypocrite so I slow down myself.

I promise Im not trying to act like a know it all or be a dick. Im just passing on the knowledge I have gained over the years growing.

Youd be wise go slow, Your plant will love you for it.

But what's the harm in re-potting them to the 5 gallon pots in a week and then flipping them to flower a week later? What would happen that's negative?

chomsky

But what's the harm in re-potting them to the 5 gallon pots in a week and then flipping them to flower a week later? What would happen that's negative?

Probably nothing. However, as the plants get bigger and require more and more water and nutrients it will be much easier to over water them. And in my opinion it is healthier for the plants to let them grow solidly for a while without continuously transplanting and cutting. It's like recovering from a marathon repotting a plant. Your body or the plant in this case just takes time to heal and get stronger. I see more vigorous growth stronger stocks and healthier plants in general when I give them time to do their thing. I have more problems when I continue to mess with them. Only my personal opinion I am definitely not be authority.

chomsky

Tri_co I promise I'm not trying to be arrogant or an authority. Like I said just sharing what I've learned over the years. Actually smart pots will get packed pretty good. Ideally what you want is for the routes to completely grow tight and hold the soil really tightly. If you cut those out in the week I would venture to say the soil will fall apart on the outside around the roots. Give it at least two more weeks in those pots then transplant. That's what I would do anyway. Your plants will do the same thing in that time. They will grow regardless of which pots they were in. However, when you do transplant with a bigger thicker foliar more healthy route system your plants will recover and grow much faster during the next transplant. And for the Record, you're doing a great job. Your plants look good bro.

chomsky

Hey, if they need to go longer, they need to go longer. No worries. That's why I'm here. For the knowledge this forum provides!

I don't know that the roots will ever really pack the pot. Isn't that kind of the nature of Smart Pots? They will air prune the roots so they won't get too packed in.

How long should I wait to re-pot? If I do it next weekend like I had planned, it would've given them 25 days in the 1 galloners. I feel like they have grown so much in these pots since I re-potted them. If you look back they were at least half this height, if not more.

Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow!

Tri_Cho_Me

They have grown a lot and they look good but don't worry so much about the number of days. You can slow the growth by topping them what you're doing. You can also slow the growth by pinching them. Pinching them will not only slow the growth but believe it or not provide thicker healthier stocks that provide more nutrients to the flowers during 12 and 12. you think they're growing fast now wait till you see them stretch in 12 and 12. Sometimes they can grow more than an inch even to overnight it seems. Since you're not Scroggin it is possible they will grow out of control especially inside of a tent because you're limited in height and the plants do not know that. I would flip to 12 and 12 while you have at least double the amount of height from the tops of your plants so that there will still be several inches of space between the bottom of your light and the tops of your plants. You do not want to burn your buds with your bulbs. Those plants will shoot through the top of your tent if you're not careful.

Also sorry about my typing and all these random thoughts. I'm talking into my phone and trying to watch my kid in the park at the same time. I'll try to make more sense out of all of this when I can sit in front of my computer.

Tri_Cho_Me

They have grown a lot and they look good but don't worry so much about the number of days. You can slow the growth by topping them what you're doing. You can also slow the growth by pinching them. Pinching them will not only slow the growth but believe it or not provide thicker healthier stocks that provide more nutrients to the flowers during 12 and 12. you think they're growing fast now wait till you see them stretch in 12 and 12. Sometimes they can grow more than an inch even to overnight it seems. Since you're not Scroggin it is possible they will grow out of control especially inside of a tent because you're limited in height and the plants do not know that. I would flip to 12 and 12 while you have at least double the amount of height from the tops of your plants so that there will still be several inches of space between the bottom of your light and the tops of your plants. You do not want to burn your buds with your bulbs. Those plants will shoot through the top of your tent if you're not careful.

Also sorry about my typing and all these random thoughts. I'm talking into my phone and trying to watch my kid in the park at the same time. I'll try to make more sense out of all of this when I can sit in front of my computer.

I knew the stretch would be pretty significant. I'll try and take some wider shots of the whole grow space soon so you can see how much room I have. I need to anyway, because I want everyone's opinion on my light situation. The plants are getting to the point where they're going to be outside the lights footprint. Do I need additional lighting on the sides?

Pics to come.

Tri_Cho_Me

Tri_Cho_Me

Here is a wider angle of the grow space/tent. Should I be concerned with the space on the sides of the light and not getting good coverage? If so, I was thinking I could just string some cheap single bulb something or others down alongside the main light. Just nervous for flower when these double or triple in size.

Thoughts?

Tri_Cho_Me

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 12

chomsky

Damn, that's a big tent. Nice!!! If you don't have funds for decent supplemental lighting I would just keep em trimmed up nice below accepting your gonna have some popcorn, which is great for making good butter. Concentrate on the big colas that will form as far down as the good light is penetrating.

Seeing your tent confirms what I've been saying. Just go slow and let em grow. You got room. No hurry.

Tri_Cho_Me

Damn, that's a big tent. Nice!!! If you don't have funds for decent supplemental lighting I would just keep em trimmed up nice below accepting your gonna have some popcorn, which is great for making good butter. Concentrate on the big colas that will form as far down as the good light is penetrating.

Seeing your tent confirms what I've been saying. Just go slow and let em grow. You got room. No hurry.

So you don't think I'll have space issues going up?

Can you provide an example of supplemental lighting that would work well for me?

Thanks man!
Tri_Cho_Me

chomsky

Well you could easily have space issues BUT.... You have plenty of room so no need to rush. How tall is that tent?

These lights would be great especially if you got some 3200K (red) bulbs as well to mix up the spectrum. you would need fixtures too... you could get two 2 bulb fixtures and run them up the sides...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162008551165?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Or a less expensive option would be regular T5 flourescents which are great... just more heat and not quite as intense...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sun-Blaster...d15331&pid=100013&rk=5&rkt=20&sd=162008551165

These are just surface suggestions. there are so many options youd have to research for your set up...

O

OG Tree Grower

I just gonna throw my 2 cents in here.

Looking at your space, lo wattage light and plant count, I instantly think Scrog net and start training.
Other wise your gonna have penetration issues and uneven canopy, and empty space in the sides of your light footprint if there not trained.

chomsky

Looking at your space, lo wattage light and plant count, I instantly think Scrog net and start training.
Other wise your gonna have penetration issues and uneven canopy, and empty space in the sides of your light footprint if there not trained.

For sure I agree but Tri Co Me decided not to scrog....

Tri_Cho_Me

Well you could easily have space issues BUT.... You have plenty of room so no need to rush. How tall is that tent?

These lights would be great especially if you got some 3200K (red) bulbs as well to mix up the spectrum. you would need fixtures too... you could get two 2 bulb fixtures and run them up the sides...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162008551165?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Or a less expensive option would be regular T5 flourescents which are great... just more heat and not quite as intense...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sun-Blaster...d15331&pid=100013&rk=5&rkt=20&sd=162008551165

These are just surface suggestions. there are so many options youd have to research for your set up...

Thanks for the suggestions! I like that Sun Blaster one.

The tent is 7 feet.

Whats wrong with the light? I think it is actually the right light for the space. The P450 is supposed to be comparable to a 600W HPS.

I have topped once, this should help with the canopy. I suppose I still have time to ScrOG. They're not in their final pots yet, so I could if I wanted to. Or, even top a couple more of the tops on each of them.

Tri_Cho_Me

O

OG Tree Grower

Sorry buddy, I thought it was closer to a 400w light.
Penetration shouldn't be as much as an issue then.
A net could still help you fill in an even canopy but not as big of a deal if you got 600w in a 2x4 area. You might wanna keep all your main branches in the 2x3 area tho, 4 feet is pushing it for a 600w light

Tri_Cho_Me

Sorry buddy, I thought it was closer to a 400w light.
Penetration shouldn't be as much as an issue then.
A net could still help you fill in an even canopy but not as big of a deal if you got 600w in a 2x4 area. You might wanna keep all your main branches in the 2x3 area tho, 4 feet is pushing it for a 600w light

I think I might top each of them again and go from there.

I could potentially wait until I transplant to the 5 galloners to decide about the ScrOG. It may not be pretty, but I could make it work if it's whats best.

Thanks for challenging me on that. It's pushing me out of my box and helping me learn. Appreciate the encouragement.

Stay tuned!
Tri_Cho_Me

chronosync

Well-stoned member
If they were mine I'd probably top and train them out into bushes and worry about support later if need be.

Concur: flip @ halfway to vertical limit

My last grow was a sog/scrog of sorts. When some buds started needing support I just put a single cord keeping them from spilling out the front when I opened the tent. That was all the screen I needed. You should have seen them when I took them out to harvest. As soon as I started moving them around they were flopping all over the place. One guy on here just ties branches up to the edge of his hood. I personally don't like netting. But then again I don't like a lot of stuff :):tiphat:

Tri_Cho_Me

If they were mine I'd probably top and train them out into bushes and worry about support later if need be.

Concur: flip @ halfway to vertical limit

My last grow was a sog/scrog of sorts. When some buds started needing support I just put a single cord keeping them from spilling out the front when I opened the tent. That was all the screen I needed. You should have seen them when I took them out to harvest. As soon as I started moving them around they were flopping all over the place. One guy on here just ties branches up to the edge of his hood. I personally don't like netting. But then again I don't like a lot of stuff :):tiphat:

Mine is hanging in the tent, you can see in the pics. It's just that hard plastic fencing. I cut some bigger holes though.

Tri_Cho_Me

chomsky

I think I might top each of them again and go from there.

I could potentially wait until I transplant to the 5 galloners to decide about the ScrOG. It may not be pretty, but I could make it work if it's whats best.

Thanks for challenging me on that. It's pushing me out of my box and helping me learn. Appreciate the encouragement.

Stay tuned!
Tri_Cho_Me

I never start my Scrog until I am in my 5 gallon pots. However, I do train the branches to grow horizontally by tying them down as they get bigger and bigger.

Tri_Cho_Me

I never start my Scrog until I am in my 5 gallon pots. However, I do train the branches to grow horizontally by tying them down as they get bigger and bigger.

Yea, I might have to start doing so if I want to ScrOG.

Decisions, decisions....

Tri_Cho_Me

chomsky

Just go for it. Don't be too worried weather or not it's going to be perfect (it won't be, it never is) you'll learn more and more every grow. I have a feeling you'll be hooked. So you have a long growing career of mistakes ahead. Welcome to the club. Over time though you'll get better and better at this. My grows seem better every time...

Just start tying down the branches. I poke holes around the top of the smart pots and use that green tomato tying wire. You'll tie them and they will bend around the wire and try to go up. At that point tie the wire further out in essence make them gro horizontal. When you transplant cut the wires and tie again on new pot.

This process is a pain but once the girls start growing through the net it's easy to carefully pull them through. You'll love it when you end up seeing an even canopy develop. It's so cool. However, as chrono said training them to grow bushy is good too.

You're right man, decisions, decisions...

Tri_Cho_Me

Day 44 From Seed

Day 44 From Seed

I decided to just go for it and ScrOG. They're still in the 1 gallon smart pots, but I'm not really letting them grow vertical through any of the holes. I'm just training them to grow horizontal at this point. Then, once they're transplanted I can start letting them grow vertical again since those are the final pots.

Other than that, things are still looking really good. Watering/feeding with a mix of rain water, the light MaxiBloom solution and the light molasses solution. All individually, but just at different times depending on what I feel is needed. Just a gut thing. They haven't really been telling me much so far. My soil has quite a bit of nutrients in it as well, so I knew going in, I wouldn't need to hit them with a high nutrient regimen.

Anyway, pics to come soon! Thanks for tagging along :tiphat:

Tri_Cho_Me