What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tri_Cho_Me's First Grow & Grow Diary

O

OG Tree Grower

After a lengthy discussion with a good friend of mine who makes nutrients I am cancelling the test grow in dirt. To sum up an hour phone call, he laughed at me and said , 20-20-20 all purpose will grow a plant, your compost pile will grow a plant. If you wanna do a test put it in your hydro system and see how quick you will get cal/mag and nitrogen deficiencies when your trying to push a plant to be 5 feet tall in 40 days.

Simply put you need more nitrogen in veg to week 4 -5 flower
You will need cal/mag in RO water and cal hungry plants
You will need more potassium in weeks 5-7 flower
If your going for gold and have a perfect environment your plants not gonna grow as fast or produce as much or as solid buds As you could with a tailored nute schedule and that's a fact,
He encouraged me to try it for my self , but he also said you can def use it as a base and then just add the things you need in the different stages to save money.

He went on to say it will work quite well for environments that arnt pushing the plant to its potential and in dirt with elevated nitrgen levels and proper pot size for the plant it's housing , hard water users with stains that don't use a lot of calcium ect but for the way I grow he said I would be wasting my time without supliments to bridge the gaps

Makes a lot of sense and he's a very trustworthy source, plus thinking back on my old grows with the gh 3 part , there were a lot of gaps we had to try to fill with mixing different ratios of each in the different plant stages.

Tri_Cho_Me

Yeah, but how's the stem rub? That's where it's at. :biggrin: (At least until you have some sticky-stinky-greasy-flowers!)

Great idea to forgo the SCROG for now. Some topping and LST. Should do you fine.

Fine work, Tri_Cho_Me!

I think I am just going to top once or twice this first time and see how she goes. I'll keep trimming up any bottom, dying stuff as well. Keep the energy in the canopy.

Tri_Cho_Me

Tri_Cho_Me

After a lengthy discussion with a good friend of mine who makes nutrients I am cancelling the test grow in dirt. To sum up an hour phone call, he laughed at me and said , 20-20-20 all purpose will grow a plant, your compost pile will grow a plant. If you wanna do a test put it in your hydro system and see how quick you will get cal/mag and nitrogen deficiencies when your trying to push a plant to be 5 feet tall in 40 days.

Simply put you need more nitrogen in veg to week 4 -5 flower
You will need cal/mag in RO water and cal hungry plants
You will need more potassium in weeks 5-7 flower
If your going for gold and have a perfect environment your plants not gonna grow as fast or produce as much or as solid buds As you could with a tailored nute schedule and that's a fact,
He encouraged me to try it for my self , but he also said you can def use it as a base and then just add the things you need in the different stages to save money.

He went on to say it will work quite well for environments that arnt pushing the plant to its potential and in dirt with elevated nitrgen levels and proper pot size for the plant it's housing , hard water users with stains that don't use a lot of calcium ect but for the way I grow he said I would be wasting my time without supliments to bridge the gaps

Makes a lot of sense and he's a very trustworthy source, plus thinking back on my old grows with the gh 3 part , there were a lot of gaps we had to try to fill with mixing different ratios of each in the different plant stages.

Maybe this can be a learning experience for us both!

I think there are probably a lot of differences in our grows. On top of various factors (too many to mention) about bringing an outside source who has limited knowledge about a lot of this.

What I do know, is my plants appear to be perfectly happy. And you know what, that makes me happy. I am putting my hard work and money into this and am already feeling the benefits and I haven't even smoked anything! I love that in the end I will be off the streets in shady situations and putting my hard earned money into this rather than sending my hard earned money to the illegal drug trade.

Anyway, to each their own I guess. Upon my extensive research with a friend, this was the route we decided to go. Hoping for the best of course, but knowing we would make mistakes and learn from them for future grows.

I hope to get a little more aggressive in bloom once I'm in my 5 gallon Smart Pots. I have some Fox Farms Tiger Bloom I'm planning to either use by itself or supplement the MaxiBloom with it.

Peace,
Tri_Cho_Me

O

OG Tree Grower

You have a good bloom fert , no need to get to aggressive. Just watch your plants. If they ask you for N or cal/mag, give them some.

Yes your grow will do just fine as the other countless people's who use this system grows turned out just great. But as you progress ,learn and tune your environment, your skills and plant requirements will change just listen to your plants and you can't go wrong

Tri_Cho_Me

32 Days From Seed Update

32 Days From Seed Update

Hey all,

I decided to switch things up for my updates. Since there is confusion on my part as to when you start counting veg, I am just going to say "X Days From Seed". Hopefully that eliminates any confusion.

So, with that being said, today is 32 days from seed and I have a question. As you can see in the below pictures, I am really starting to get some aggressive undergrowth. How do I handle this? I don't want crappy, immature flowers on the lower part of the plant. My initial thought is to trim some of this up to encourage growth at the top. Or maybe trim some of the lower fan leaves to open up space and light for these little branches.

Thoughts?

Tri_Cho_Me

Attachments

• #1 - 32 Days From Seed.jpg
    #1 - 32 Days From Seed.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 15
  • #1 - 32 Days From Seed Lowers.jpg
    #1 - 32 Days From Seed Lowers.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 13
O

OG Tree Grower

They won't ever amount to anything, pinch them off, there classic sucker branches.

Don't trim any fan leaves, there the powerhouse of the plant right now, the bigger the canopy the faster she will grow

chomsky

Hey all,

I decided to switch things up for my updates. Since there is confusion on my part as to when you start counting veg, I am just going to say "X Days From Seed". Hopefully that eliminates any confusion.

So, with that being said, today is 32 days from seed and I have a question. As you can see in the below pictures, I am really starting to get some aggressive undergrowth. How do I handle this? I don't want crappy, immature flowers on the lower part of the plant. My initial thought is to trim some of this up to encourage growth at the top. Or maybe trim some of the lower fan leaves to open up space and light for these little branches.

Thoughts?

Tri_Cho_Me

Tri_co_me quit cutting on them for a minute. Unless you have a deadline or are in a hurry just let them grow a bit. You can always trim. A nice long veg is really healthy for your girls. Cutting and topping too much too soon stresses out your plants and will slow growth. Give em 10 days two weeks without even touching them. They will love you for it. It's better to cut on them while they are strong and robust. Clean em up right before you flip and in early 12/12 then just let em do their thing again.

O

OG Tree Grower

Depends on the strain and your style of growing.
Normally at this point you can tell what's gonna be a main branch or not, suckers are flimsy little buggers that grow under your main canopy.

Or like Chomsky said just wait it out a few weeks and it will be very easy to tell.
If you are gonna remove them now only take this small stuff

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 15

Tri_Cho_Me

Depends on the strain and your style of growing.
Normally at this point you can tell what's gonna be a main branch or not, suckers are flimsy little buggers that grow under your main canopy.

Or like Chomsky said just wait it out a few weeks and it will be very easy to tell.
If you are gonna remove them now only take this small stuff

Awesome. Thank you for your help!

Tri_Cho_Me

Tri_Cho_Me

Yours look all nice and neat while mine look like fat slobs. LOL

My plants are younger than yours and I probably pay too much attention to them (ask Chomsky). It's a reflection of my personality to be honest. I am very Type A and I think it shows up in my gardening.

I am sure once I flip to flower and go through the stretch, things wont look as pretty. :biggrin:

Tri_Cho_Me

Tri_Cho_Me

38 Days From Seed Update

38 Days From Seed Update

Hey guys,

We are now 38 days from seed sprout.
- 18 days into the 1 gallon Smart Pots after the SOLO cups.
- 13 days into #1 being topped.
- 10 days into #2 being topped.

I am aiming to re-pot into the final 5 gallon Smart Pots in about a week. The 23rd or 24th of October. Of course I would never force them into flower. If they don't appear strong and healthy after the re-pot, I'll wait until they are. If all goes well though, it would give me a full week to let the roots establish themselves in their new home before I flipped them to 12/12 on November 1st. Sets me up for a nice New Year if flower takes the expected 8-9 weeks :biggrin:

Other than that, just watering about every three days still. Although, I did notice this week they are starting to demand quite a bit more and are drying out a bit quicker. Might have to change my schedule to every two days. Every once in a while I'll give them a shot of the light MaxiBloom solution, but mainly sticking with plain rain water since I have what I collected still.

Every couple days I'll clean up a couple of the lower, inner most leaves to keep all the new growth up and out.

Can't wait to see these preteens grow into women! *sheds single tear* I took a some pictures with some grow glasses over the lens. The LED really does a number on pictures and the girls are getting big enough to where it's not convenient moving them in and out of the tent.

Tri_Cho_Me

Attachments

• 38 Days From Seed.jpg
    38 Days From Seed.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 38 Days From Seed(2).jpg
    38 Days From Seed(2).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 38 Days From Seed(3).jpg
    38 Days From Seed(3).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 38 Days From Seed - #1.jpg
    38 Days From Seed - #1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 38 Days From Seed - #2.jpg
    38 Days From Seed - #2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 10

chomsky

hey

hey

Hey guys,

We are now 38 days from seed sprout.
- 18 days into the 1 gallon Smart Pots after the SOLO cups.
- 13 days into #1 being topped.
- 10 days into #2 being topped.

I am aiming to re-pot into the final 5 gallon Smart Pots in about a week. The 23rd or 24th of October. Of course I would never force them into flower. If they don't appear strong and healthy after the re-pot, I'll wait until they are. If all goes well though, it would give me a full week to let the roots establish themselves in their new home before I flipped them to 12/12 on November 1st. Sets me up for a nice New Year if flower takes the expected 8-9 weeks :biggrin:

Other than that, just watering about every three days still. Although, I did notice this week they are starting to demand quite a bit more and are drying out a bit quicker. Might have to change my schedule to every two days. Every once in a while I'll give them a shot of the light MaxiBloom solution, but mainly sticking with plain rain water since I have what I collected still.

Every couple days I'll clean up a couple of the lower, inner most leaves to keep all the new growth up and out.

Can't wait to see these preteens grow into women! *sheds single tear* I took a some pictures with some grow glasses over the lens. The LED really does a number on pictures and the girls are getting big enough to where it's not convenient moving them in and out of the tent.

Tri_Cho_Me

Dude youre going to start hating me. Just tell me to stop making comments before you do, but....

Again slow down. In a week those roots will not even be close to filling the pots they are currently in. Why are you so bent on getting into big 5 gallon pots so quick? since you are not scrogging there is no hurry to get into final 5 gallon pots. Let the roots pack the pot they are in.

Im actually glad I keep giving you this advice because I just started a test grow for Karma Genetics (you should follow) and everytime I want to speed things up, I think of the good advice Im giving you and I dont want to be a hypocrite so I slow down myself.

I promise Im not trying to act like a know it all or be a dick. Im just passing on the knowledge I have gained over the years growing.

Youd be wise go slow, Your plant will love you for it.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Dude youre going to start hating me. Just tell me to stop making comments before you do, but....

Again slow down. In a week those roots will not even be close to filling the pots they are currently in. Why are you so bent on getting into big 5 gallon pots so quick? since you are not scrogging there is no hurry to get into final 5 gallon pots. Let the roots pack the pot they are in.

Im actually glad I keep giving you this advice because I just started a test grow for Karma Genetics (you should follow) and everytime I want to speed things up, I think of the good advice Im giving you and I dont want to be a hypocrite so I slow down myself.

I promise Im not trying to act like a know it all or be a dick. Im just passing on the knowledge I have gained over the years growing.

Youd be wise go slow, Your plant will love you for it.
Best advice I've seen given in awhile Chomsky. Don't be afraid to tell it like it is and still stay humble like a boss. Nice.

Tri Cho, listen to this guy here he's got a few buds notched into his belt for sure and not going to steer you wrong.

Tri_Cho_Me

Hey, if they need to go longer, they need to go longer. No worries. That's why I'm here. For the knowledge this forum provides!

I don't know that the roots will ever really pack the pot. Isn't that kind of the nature of Smart Pots? They will air prune the roots so they won't get too packed in.

How long should I wait to re-pot? If I do it next weekend like I had planned, it would've given them 25 days in the 1 galloners. I feel like they have grown so much in these pots since I re-potted them. If you look back they were at least half this height, if not more.

Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow!

Tri_Cho_Me