What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Train

acespicoli

1694742074598.png

sesquiterpene alcohols

1694743839139.png

Last edited:

acespicoli

1694910728278.png

The winner of the first High Times Cannabis Cup in the Netherlands in 1987, Skunk #1 was proliferated by a guy whom cannabis lore calls “Sam the ... who arrived in Holland in 1985

Pre Haze intro to the seedbank...?

The Blu from Eugene Oregon....By the way most but not all of the Afganis were from MLW.
A very skunky blue afghani was also gifted to DJ Short, if you ever grew those indica heavy Dj stains you understand why I added that detail in here.

1694912705657.png

Texas Kid​

Some guy with a light​

4,159 263
History of Skunk #1

Here is what I have on Skunk #1, first let me say that I have talked with Sam in detail about this article and he says it is pure fiction except for some of the players, they are real, but it is a good read either way...

History of Skunk #1

Skunk#1 was the result of a communal breeding effort by a small clique of breeders who worked the coastal hills surounding the Bay Area. The first "skunk" plant (C.Gold x AFG unstable) was not discovered by this group but Jingles who cut the unstable line but kept this one special plant for his personal garden. This was around '69 or so. anyway, the clone made its way round the club and soon this Bay Area group decided to adopt it as a project.

With the C.Gold mom used by Jingles as well as the Haze Bros they set about trying to create a stable version of Jingles "skunk". The result would be known as Skunk#1. Columbian Gold x Acapulco Gold/Afgani There are better people around here to tell you the exact details, not the least whom is Sam_Skunkman over @ TFD. Yes it's him.
My understanding of the SK#1 breeding group is that it started very small and grew as time went by. SkMan starting out as a Jr grower in the late 60's and rising to the level of chief breeder and seedmaker for the seed co.

In the late 70's/early 80's. It was supposed to have been very difficult to join this group and a prospect would first have to be sponsered by a member of the inner circle then be required to breed out a certain number of versions of Sk#1 from both clones provided by the club as well as genetics they provided themselves. This way they assured quality control and widened the gene pool at the same time. The original unstable "model skunk"plant was a direct cross of C.Gold x Afg. But the Bay Area people soon found out how difficult it was going to be to cross a C.Gold to anything. So it was found that it was easier to cross these difficult plants to a plant that was already hybribized. Hence the Introduction of A.Gold into the mix. This also apparently added two other favorable traits. In addition to making crosses easier, high GCA has been stated by Clark as one of the goals of the breeders, the A.Gold also marginaly reduced flower time but most importent was its addition to calyx/leaf ratio. If you turn to P 248 of Mels Dlx you will find a pic of four mexican colas. Notice the two shots on the bottom are taken against the backround of Sandy W's barn. I'm almost 100% sure the plant on the lower right is A.Gold and about 90% that it's the primary A.Gold mom in Sk#1. Notice the foxtail style buds and hi C/L. Now imagine this crossed to an afgani, starting to get the picture? By the way most but not all of the Afganis were from MLW.

As i said earlier most of the Sacred Seeds breeding groups suffered disasters of one sort or another in the early days and in the case of Sk#1 it was the dreaded botritis cinerea, grey mold. Introduced by some of the early afgani crosses it kicked of a massive afgan genetics hunt/torture test. And while the late great Maple Leaf Wilson provided most of the genes they scowered every nook and cranny for an Afgani ;0. Many non Skunk#1 members of the Sacred Seeds who were also working on their own projects got involved.
I already spoke about Sandy W's involment and there were apparently others though the only one I am reasonably sure of was an East Bay biker/Vietnam Vet who went by the handle "Mendacino Joe", who as you can probably guess by his name he was supposed to have been one of the founders of the Trinity grow scene. Joe was working on a grape/pepper flavored mostly afgani hybrid not related to Sk#1, but he had a large collection of genetics and was a good grower and so he was included in the torture tests. The ultimate result of these tests was a special line called Skunk#18.2 (Sk#1 x Afg bx-1). It is a line that inparts incredible hardiness and pest/disease resistance on its offspring.

The Skunkman brought several kilos of these seeds with him along with his other stuff when he moved to holland in '82 in the wake of his release from prison.As far as I know he has only given these seeds to Nevil, Shanti, and Wernhard from Positronics. (ever wonder why Shiva Skunk {NL#5 x SK#1) is so resistant to spider mites?)
In the wake of the Sacred Seeds bust in '82, "Mendacino Joe" moved to the Vancouver islands and changing his handle to "Romulan" Joe bringing with him some early Sk#1s or deriviteves, a line of Central Ithsmus lowland Thai that may have been purchased from the Haze Bros and of course his grape/pepper flovored indica strain, Romulan. Soon to
be a BC classic. It was these lines that Pr. Ziggy @ Federation seeds in BC was supposed to have purchased from old Joe shorly before his death, and are offered as Island Sweet Skunk, Golden Triangle Thai, and Romulan. Torture tests and "inoculations" were mostly done outdoors with special patches of extra clones in an isolated area, which were then
diliberatly infected. Deseased and pest riddled local plants would be transplanted into these special gardens and then the plants were tested to destruction while the growers watched and made note of the strongest individauls. Sacred Seeds was all about division of labor.It's one of the ways they accomplished so much in so little time and they used natural selection to work in their favor. Skunk#1 first went on sale in '78 or '79. As far as I know it was the only strain that Sacred Seeds didn't give a discount on orders over 1k seeds. Seeds were 2$ a peice and people bitched about prices even back then. Especialy that no discount thing But like the Hazes (which could sellout a year ahead) SK#1 sold out every year. The seeds were sold as F1's made if I recall with a F ? fillial plant backcrossed to one of the original parents. Due to the communal nature of the project,there were many parents as each breeder included his own varietion, Skunk#1s bred from the same P1 stock but often getting to the goal a different way, for instance some variations used C.Gold on the male side. With tight control over the P1s the breeders could assure their stated goal of making true breeding stock but with the widest possible gene pool they could also be sure to achieve both high SCA and GCA. also stated goals of the project.

Now I can tell you from personal experience that exactly what constituted a "skunk" was a matter of just a little debate but they basically came down into camps which actually carried forward into the Dutch world. The "Sweet Skunk" camp, which including the SkMan, and the "Stinky Skunk" camp. In terms of modern Sk#1 the CC/TFD Skunkman bred "the Pure" is bred for more consistant plants and towards the SkMans ideal Sk#1. While the stinky side of the house would be best represented by the SeedBank/Mr Nice skunks which also have more variation in types like the earlier California skunks. I must state here that there is no right answer, its a matter of taste and a debate thats been going for on about 30 years. In '82 I came home one night and turned on the TV. Just as they went to commercial the news bimbo teased the story, "comin right up after this" police official say they got the source of the skunk. Yeah right I thought, we'd heard these claims before, always to be followed by shot of some deputies pulling three scragly plants from some poor sucker's patch. This time it was different, this time they were standing in front of a warehouse.

Sacred Seeds was busted in '82. The Skunkman was arrested and the cops were in possetion of the groups main seedmaking op. But this bunch was savey and had pre-paid bailbonds/lawyers on retainer and so SkMan was out in a matter of hours. And so began one of the greatest capers in Sacred Seeds history.

An event I will call "the great rootball rescue". Skunkman, out on bail and eager to find out the condition of his grow rooms stakes out the grow to make sure the cops aren't waiting there for him. After sitting for hours he finally gets over his paranoia and makes a cursery recon and can't believe what he finds, the cops in either there arrogance or ignorance have left the place secured with only police tape. checking the grow as well as the dumpster out back the found many plants cut well above the the first node and some that had been simply pulled from their containers and tossed whole. the dumpster was also full of seeds and it was obvious that the cops had broken many seed containers but because there were so many eventually just started throwing jars out whole. the cops had left all the stuff there until morning when they could properly catolog it, including all the grow equip. Skunkman sprang into action, called a number of the un-busted members of the club and the "great rootball rescue" was under way. His friends showed up and they litteraly stripped the place of every thing usefull. Lights were sold to pay legal fees, the rootballs, including the Haze mom SkMan has to this day were nursed back to health by the people who escaped prosicution and the police were left with a distinct lack of evidence. Causing some of the cases to collapse entirly and some, like SkMan to serve greatly reduced sentances. If they'de gotten him on everything they wanted him for he'd still be there. Instead, He served less than a year and on his release he collected up his strains from his friends, including Sk#18.2 rescued from the dumpster and made his way to amsterdam were he founded Cultivators Choice seed co, named after the top award at the annual Sacred Seeds harvest fests held in Nor Cal from 67-83. A year later Skunkmans new friend aqquire a second batch of Sacred Seeds Sk#1 seeds. When Cultivators Choice went out of biz a few year later Nevil bought most of their stock. While both worked from the same set of Sk#1 females each has there own males (breeders never give up a male) selected from the only two importations of authentic Sk#1 into Holland.

The Cultivators Choice variation is the one offered by TFD as "the Pure" The SeedBank version is @ Mr Nice, Shanti's Shit is his Sk#1/Afg variation with "Pure Shit" aka pure Sk#1 upcoming. I'm sure there's more but I'm all
"skunked" out right now. Peace NdF

acespicoli

Old seeds, fresh buds 😉

View attachment 18890596
At least one is showing red pistils...
View attachment 18890601 View attachment 18890602
Back in the day, the rage for awhile was the red hair skunk... similar to the critical red hairs darker, nice
1695212556589.png

Strain: Critical Mass
Breeder: Mr Nice Seedbank
Upload date: 12.08.2010
Picture from: levelnext
1695212901932.png

Critical Plus 2 » Critical+ x Critical+ Resistant

Critical+ 2.0 by Dinafem is a feminized, Sativa-dominant strain obtained by crossing a Critical + with a moisture resistant phenotype. The result is a strengthened version of Critical+.
It is advisable to use anti-odour filters as the smell is very strong and could be a telltale sign at the end of the flowering period.

Critical+ x Critical+ Resistant pheno S1
Indoor flowering period: 45-50 days
Outdoor harvest time: end of September
Indoor yield: 700 g/m2
Outdoor yield: 900-1300 g/plant
THC: 20%
CBD: 0.3%
1695214272819.png

RSC
Genetics: Traditional Hindu Kush Domesticate (“Landrace”)
Sourcing: Landrace Genetics, Tirah Valley, Hindu Kush, 2022 Harvest
Purpose: Charas (sieved resin)
Latitude: 33° N
Harvest: late-September through October
Height: 1 – 4 meters
Aroma: Coffee, hazelnut, hash, citrus, kush, earthy musk
Characteristics: Resinous, narcotic effect, broad- to narrow-leafleted, early maturing
Classification: C. sativa subsp. indica var. afghanica x C. sativa subsp. indica var. indica
Grow Type: Outdoors, greenhouse, or indoors

1695214801554.png

#37 MLI
1695215124742.png

#58 MLI
Spicy; Herbs; Pepper; Sandalwood; Cedarwood; Hashish; Bitter; Chemical; Diesel; Organic; Tee; Microbiological; Earth; Musky; Leather

1695214858495.png

Afghani #1
Microbiological; Rot; Earth; Musky; Mold; Sweat; Charcoal; Wood; Leather

More info about Original Afghani Nr1 (Seedsman)

Attachments

• 1695212659120.png
    1695212659120.png
    688.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

acespicoli

The Great Skunk Hunt​

Smoking one of pot’s original hybrids is a journey through time.

byEllen Holland
September 7, 2022

Skunk
Skunk phenotypes growing at Haze Dispensary / Photo by Justin Cannabis

Shares

In the 1960s and ’70s, humanity finally pulled it together and began hybridlizing different types of cannabis. Although use of the plant has been prevalent for thousands of years, it wasn’t until this time that cannabis breeders began to take marijuana’s original expressions, the landrace cultivars, and blend them together. The incredible diversity of the types of marijuana we have today started with the first few cannabis seed companies and hybrids they created. Skunk #1 is one of the most widely recognized hybrids of those early days of cannabis breeding. An artistic creation that fused together landrace cannabis from different areas of the world, Skunk #1 is legendary pot.
“It’s in everything,” horticulture authority Ed Rosenthal tells me during a recent smoke session in the sunroom of his publishing headquarters and home.
Together we’re traveling through time back to the 1980s. I’ve brought over a sampling of six Skunk #1 phenotypes grown by Frank at Purple Caper Seeds in his epic 2022 Skunk hunt. Frank grew out 25 different packs of Skunk #1 seeds, some more than 20 years old, on a quest for the original flavor he loved when he first started smoking pot in the late ’80s.
skunk-1434x960.jpeg
Courtesy of High Times
“It’s been over 20 years now I haven’t had that flavor,” Frank says of his quest to bring back the weed he remembers. “First I started sniffing around. I heard the buzz that everybody’s starting to talk about Skunk again. I’ve always missed it, but I haven’t tried to bring it back. It’s expensive [to do], and there wasn’t a demand. And I talked to my people in Canada, I talked to my people in Amsterdam and asked them if there were any old packs in their freezers.”
Eventually, Frank was able to collect a lineup of seeds to grow fabled classics spread across the centerfolds of this very magazine in the ’80s and ’90s: Green House Seeds’ Exodus Cheese, Nirvana Super Skunk, Paradise Seeds Original Cheese (IBF), Dutch Passion’s Skunk #1, and Skunk #1 from Sensi Seeds. Amsterdam-based seed companies like Dutch Passion and Sensi Seeds, which received the Skunk genetics in the 1980s, still sell Skunk #1 seed packs to this day.

A Marijuana Marketing Milestone

The winner of the first High Times Cannabis Cup in the Netherlands in 1987, Skunk #1 was proliferated by a guy whom cannabis lore calls “Sam the Skunkman,” but whose real name is Dave Watson. Skunk #1 is a combination of two South American landraces, Acapulco Gold and Colombian Gold, as well as an Afghani. Rosenthal suspects some Thai may also be in the cross, but this has never been publicly acknowledged.

When this cultivar got into the hands of Watson at Sacred Seeds Collective in Santa Cruz, California, the genetics were developed and stabilized through inbreeding (in cannabis that generally means crossing the plant back with itself to maintain its traits in future offspring). As part of the great exchange that shaped the world of cannabis cultivars at that time—the fusion of minds and marijuana from California and Amsterdam—Watson brought Skunk #1 from California to Holland in 1985. By the late ’80s, it was in many seed banks throughout Holland.
The phenotypes Rosenthal and I are sampling have names that sound terrible: Fresh Kill, Rotten Carcass, Vomit, Burnt Rubber, Donkey Dick, and least offensively, Cheese. But they don’t have the acidic, rotten smell of a skunk’s spray or any of the other noxious odors their names suggest. They smell floral, some are decidedly cheesy, and they taste sweet. Rosenthal explains that Watson naming the strain Skunk #1 was an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of a type of cannabis around in the 1970s, which actually smelled like a skunk.
“People would say, ‘Is there a dead body or a skunk or something around? That’s what the original skunks smelled like. That’s why they were called skunks,” Rosenthal says. “So when [Watson] named it Skunk, I mean there’s no right or wrong on this, but it wasn’t what the animal smelled like.”
jc_vomit_skunk_hunt-1-640x960.jpg
Vomit / Photo by Justin Cannabis
Recently scientists at ABSTRAX, a laboratory devoted to terpene research and botanical extraction, pinpointed the origins of that skunky, gasoline-like scent and, as it turns out, it comes from a class of compounds in cannabis that has just been discovered, volatile sulfuric compounds (VSCs). The ABSTRAX study, which appeared in the American Chemical Society journal, shows that the skunky smell in cannabis also has similarities to the heady, pungent smell of garlic.
“When people are referring to the skunky/gassy scent of cannabis they are actually smelling this class of VSCs that we are referring to in the industry as cannasulfur compounds,” explains T.J. Martin, VP of Research and Development at ABSTRAX.
“While they are not the same identical compounds in garlic, they have very similar structures and an eerily similar family of VSCs. The main difference is that the structure of cannabis VSCs contain what are called prenyl groups (i.e. prenyl thiol, diphenyl sulfide, etc.) and garlic has allyl groups (i.e. allyl thiol, diallyl sulfide, etc.).
“What makes it so interesting is that chemically they may be different, but they are also very similar, and they follow the same trend. Current research in garlic shows that its VSCs may possibly contribute to the cardiovascular and proposed anti-cancerous benefits found in garlic. With these families being so similar, with just a small minor change, we were wondering if maybe this contributes to some of the medicinal benefits of cannabis.”
jc_rotten_carcass_skunk_hunt-640x960.jpg
Rotten Carcass / Photo by Justin Cannabis
At our sunroom smoke sesh, Rosenthal says the study shows Afghan Skunk (aka Afghani Skunk) had a lot of cannasulfurs in it.
“You’d have a bag of it, you’d open the bag, close the bag, the room would stink, you couldn’t get the smell out of the room,” Rosenthal says of Afghan Skunk. “I haven’t seen that in 15 or 20 years.”

For Rosenthal, Skunk #1 itself is decidedly more common. He says he last smoked Skunk #1, a strain that came out when I was still a young child that I’ve never tried until now, two months ago. Like White Widow, it was widely used for breeding. When Rosenthal and other cannabis experts I’ve spoken to in the past wax nostalgic about a strain from yesteryear, it’s usually Northern Lights #5 x Haze (aka NL #5 Haze). Northern Lights #5 is Afghani x Thai, and NL #5 Haze combines that strain pairing with the Haze that came out of Santa Cruz in the 1960s.
“The reason you don’t see NL #5 Haze is because it’s very difficult to grow indoors because it takes so much longer,” Rosenthal says of those long-flowering equatorial sativa genetics present in the Haze family. “It takes a long time to finish, and it’s a moderate yield. But if you’re growing outdoors like in Southern California, that would be a great variety to grow. It has an unbelievably zonky high, [With NL #5 x Haze] like you say, ‘Oh, that’s what my brain was looking for.’”
Together Haze, Skunk #1, and Northern Lights #5 are the first main types of hybrid cannabis and, therefore, some most influential types of weed of all time.
jc_seed_pack_selection_skunk_hunt-960x960.jpg
These seeds were grown out on the hunt to find the best Skunk #1 phenotype. / Photo by Justin Cannabis

Skunk #1 in 2022

To rediscover the Skunk #1 experiences of his youth Purple Caper’s Frank gathered the seeds, including 1996 seeds from expert grower and cannabis author Mel Frank, and grew them out at Haze Dispensary in San Jose, California.
“We procured the best 25 packs of Skunk that we could find and popped them,” Frank says. “Of over 200 seeds, we found 70 keeper females and 20 keeper males, 90 plants total. Out of those 90 plants, 10 males and 10 female keepers are isolated.”
Those 10 female plants are now being tested in clone and breeding projects in all types of growing environments, outdoor full-term, light-dep, and indoors. The final plants Frank will use for Purple Caper’s planned Skunk #1 seed release will be from one male and six females.
“The keepers we found are better than expected,” Frank says. “These had long, big colas, especially the Donkey Dick. I mean, that plant had just three branches. Each one had a 24-inch cola, like the size of a baseball bat almost. The Donkey Dick was just a beautiful plant. It’s been so long since I’ve seen that.”
After we share a laugh about the ridiculous names of the Skunk phenos, Frank further explains how breeding cannabis, or in this case resurrecting a strain from the past, is an extensive process of selection. For the final stages of his epic Skunk hunt, Frank will cross one male plant with six female plants with the intention of growing an additional 300 phenotypes. The hope is to bring back the strain he’s loved and lost. “I want to resurrect it, and I want to have the flagship version of it. I don’t want anybody to have a better Skunk,” he says.
This article appears in the August 2022 issue of High Times. Subscribe here.

When we come together at the table here we bring the best skunk we can gather :huggg:

Last edited:

acespicoli

1694913082216.png

Red Hair and this One ... very popular :ROFLMAO: Back in the day
s9MPtlnTyY8Gnk-k-rcCz6UnrS78xAmFGWpy3F8C9Q48W5HmEoZ4pb0dnpNuG_BeA6QFTnCTo7VuBgDZmYE5j2gUg8-T6PeTJSHYNSh8CMcuY72MYQ6q8xxFHNt2D-7HTeK7HGJrwms_P62hQ9iYJfg

1694914789653.png

1694914063064.png

DJ Short - The Origins of Blueberry

Choosing your parents

The place for breeding to begin is with choosing the parent plants, called the P1 generation. For best breeding results you use true-breeding stabilized strains as your P1's. Different breeders have different standards as to what qualifies as a P1. I have very high standards for my P1 generation. For me, the P1 must be either a fully acclimated, region-of-origin land-race variety, or no more than one generation removed, and crossed with itself or another highly similar, region-of-origin land-race variety.

I used three P1 strains to breed Blueberry, Flo and others. They were the Highland Thai (also called Juicy Fruit Thai, a first-generation Thai seed grown in the Pacific Northwest); a cross called Purple Thai which was a first generation land-race Chocolate Thai crossed once with a first generation land-race Highland Oaxaca Gold; and an Afghani Indica which came to me one generation removed from Afghanistan via the California/Southern Oregon growing community.

Flo has very nice aroma,

Addition (from a medical grower/researcher (Ph.D.)): A medical clone called "Matanuska Valley Thunder Fuck" (or MVTF) ended up in Oregon. It is said to be a cross between "golf bud" and the "original" Matanuska Thunderfuck, both created in Alaska.

Should I keep going on this or everyone up to speed on NDN and MLW ?

Last edited:

acespicoli

1694917644815.png

1694918453119.png

This bud is infamous for its delicious taste and smell. The aroma of Mikado has a fresh grassy bouquet with a hint of sweet fruity raspberries as the nugs are broken apart.

1694917864971.png

Afghan 78

After so many F1, F2, F3, strains lose their Landraceness
The F1, has the magic fizz after that every few generations it has to be bx or remade
Taking a few packs and IBL .... you really need the F1 parent stock
Always do a OP of your first set of seeds, make all you will need for a lifetime !!!

oh well
Thats enough from me, lets get this train wreck back on track ;)

Last edited:

acespicoli

HP-13 (aka HP13 or Hashplant #13) is an indica variety, listed in our database as a clone only strain and can be cultivated indoors and outdoors. .

What do we know about the clone-only HP-13?​

Logo Clone Only Strains
This strain is called HP13, or Hash Plant # 13. The inner circle of pot snobs lucky enough to
have access to it sometimes lovingly refer to it simply as "P." This pure indica strain originated
in Afghanistan, and was surely inbred for generations by a proud family line of Afghanis in
some remote valley of the Pakistani/Afghani mountain range, Then in the '70s, as more and
more Westerners traveled the infamous hippy hashish trail, some of this magical gene pool
was brought to America in the form of seeds. The strain stayed in California for a while, and
eventually made its way to New York City of all places, where it is commonly sold for more
than twice the cost of gold ($8,000 a pound and up)! Two things are notable about this strain
of marijuana: the flavor, and the psychological effects it has on people--not necessarily from
smoking it. HP13 has the most complex flavor I have ever experienced, and I'm not limiting
that statement to just ganja. This herb tastes so incredible it could easily be described as erotic
Vew flavors visit the taste buds minutes after the smoke is exhaled; the range of flavors is truly
impressive. This diverse flavor can hardly be put to words, but I'll try. Skunky, garlicky, salty,
spicy, hashy, and the list goes on. All it takes is one toke, and most pot smokers become instant
P-heads.

HP-13 Lineage / Genealogy​

HP-13 Hybrids / Crossings​

Selections / Direct Descendents​

• HP Nr7 » HP-13 Puck Pheno x HP-13 BX
  • HP13 » HP-13 x HP-13 Reversed

acespicoli

1695218510480.png

We do have a F1 of a male skunk clone thats +/- 30 years old, the 20 year old clone sam has and hit a female clone someone else had...the seeds have been saved for several years...
have some concerns ...
1695218936057.png

79' S1 🤞

Last edited:

acespicoli

Logo The Seed Bank
1696121489472.png

The original Super Skunk was realeased in the late 80s by Neville's Seed Bank. It is an afghan 'T' female from Jim Ortega's Maple Leaf Indica x Skunk #1 from sam the skunkman.

This plant is especially developed for Skunk lovers. We have crossed our best Skunks to their Afghani ancestors. Watch out for this one, the smell is dead give away. Brush against this plant and the room becomes immediately filled with a powerful Skunk aroma. Despite the smell a very pleasant high with a little more body to it than the Skunk #1.

Black Domina, which is a hybrid of some of the most refined indica strains
(Ortega Hash Plant and Afghan SA) and which flowers very rapidly and is covered in resin crystals

acespicoli

Romulan Joe` and I have had many conversations on the origin of this strain. According to him the original breeders started growing in there backyard and greenhouse in the 50`s, after being introduced to cannabis in the Korean war and bringing home seeds to Victoria. They struggled to grow and acclimatise these seeds selecting the faster flowering shorter plants from the tall lanky Korean strain. When the late sixties and early seventies rolled around, they began trying Columbian and Mexician seeds, hybridizing varieties from these. In the mid 80`s when the Afghani strains swept into North America they briefly tried hybridizing with these but eventually when back to selecting the traits they liked in there old genetics....

they introduced a Mexican sativa into the mix. And later a Colombian landrace was added, most likely Colombian Red, in the late 1970's. Eventually an Afghani Indica was bred in, but they did not like the results entirely, so they back crossed it with the Colombian Red again before they found what they were looking for. This original set of F1 seed stock are what brought P. Alberni Pinebud, P.A. Purple, and other notable strains to come from that region at that time.

1698755068162.png

1698755556502.png

1698755186221.png

1698755233869.png

@RomulanJake

Last edited:

acespicoli

Sam the Skunkman, said the following into the IC-Mag forums:

[...] The main Haze Brother, R was gone, retired in Mexico by 82 he did not come back for 10 years. He was the one that created O Haze. The second Haze Brother J quit growing O Haze about 1980 and only grew Skunk #1 after that [...] and anyway recently he told me he never [...] did not sell any Haze seeds to [...] anyone else ever. The Haze Bros had a falling out in the late 70's and stopped talking to one another, for certain they did not sell seeds as the Haze Bros to anyone [...]. Both the Haze Bros were close friends of mine and both were close neighbours for years, J lived a few hundred meters from my house until he departed to Mexico.

R ?
J ?

First Reason: The story goes that Mendo Joe bred Romulan and eventually moved to Vancouver Island where he switched names where he went by the name Romulan Joe...

1698760445719.png

Todd McCormick 2023 on instagram:
Original Haze ...First bred in Santa Cruz in 1969 and saved by Skunkman Sam since the 70’s,
it is a 3 way Colombian that is psychedelic and spicy.

1698760877662.png

1698760909375.png
1698761038371.png

1698760979626.png

1698761097119.png

1698761225120.png

1698761400361.png
1698761673178.png

TM Haze
Nevil said:

MNF 2012
The cat piss smell associated with Haze is the result of inbreeding to the Haze. Inbreeding to siblings or half siblings, is less damaging than inbreeding to the same Haze plant.
NL5 was somewhat neutral in smell and when crossed with the Haze, it expressed the various genotypes behind the Haze very well. I have grown large numbers of NL5HzA and NL5HzC plants from seed. Considering that the HzA male was dead, I could only use it's daughters to put back to HzC.

This single inbreeding to the 1969 haze males exponentially increased the amount of cat piss types in the progeny, but still allowed a useful percentage of truly superior plants to shine through.
The average age of the NH grand parents is about 40. I don't believe that this can be said about anybody else's lines. They are more inbred, hence the cat piss.
I have a dream that a real Haze brother will contact me and tell me that he still has well preserved seeds from the 60's. Failing that, the '97 NH seeds offer the best hope for future hybrids.
N.

Attachments

• 1698761067949.png
    1698761067949.png
    124.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Calle Minogue

Brother of the COB
Thanks for all the effort you invest and all the love you spread! This thread totally made my weekend. Considering that I bought just few days ago a pack of Old School Skunk (Oldschoolgenetics). I don’t know how legit they are but it’s a good feeling to dive through the story and day dream a bit! Maybe I can grab some real skunk terps next OD Season!

Thanks you much- I can feel and read the passion!

Stinky greetings.

Calle

acespicoli

Is there any connection with cannabis?​

Skunk Cabbage

Despite cannabis being commonly known as ‘skunk’, just a few weeks before this article was written, the answer to this question would have been ‘no’. The smell associated with different cultivars of Cannabis sativa is very variable, with no sulfur compounds like skunk odorants detected. But very recent analysis (published November 2021) of concentrated extracts of cannabis flowers have detected a number of sulfur-containing odorants, with 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol being identified as the primary odorant.

3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol
Prenylthiol or 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol is a chemical compound. It is one of a group of chemicals that give cannabis its characteristic "skunk-like" aroma. It is also present in lightstruck or "skunky" beer.[2][3]

References​

Remmel, Ariana (30 November 2021). "Here's the chemistry behind marijuana's skunky scent". ScienceNews.org. Retrieved 30 November 2021.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts