What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Questions for Sam the Skunkman on Hindu Kush Indicas

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
maybe we should write a book about Sam :D
~again, thanks a lot for your time skunkman

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Mazar, but then crossed with a Columbian, then selfed, then the hybrid crossed with Acapulco Gold to make it a bit earlier.
But to be honest in the same seed batch from Afghanistan you will find many phenos, remember they may have thousands of females that the seeds came from, as well as thousands of males hitting every one of the females, so that is a lot of possible combos.....

It is also possible that the reason S African seems a bit Indica is because down on the tip of Africa, every ship that went around the Cape of Good Hope that had Cannabis, and that must have been thousands and thousands, and at least a few shared their Cannabis (and seeds) with locals. So S African may well be the result of the mixing of a lot of different Cannabis varieties from the world over.
-SamS

Last edited:

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sam please tell us more about the Haze... i remember some time ago you said that "the haze has lost his fire, use it for breeding" ...you mean the haze seed-lines which are today on the market? probably you still have some clones from the best phenos of the old daze. im sure you smoked a lot of grass, so this haze must be really special if it's your all-time favorite smoke. now i'm wondering how high is the chance to get a such electric haze from the seed-lines of today? or better said, what should we look for when hunting for a great haze pheno? green or purple? more mexican/columbian or more in the thai way?!? sorry for a lot of questions, hope you can give us some more useful info!

~You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Sam_Skunkman again.

C

charlie garcia

Hola de nuevo

Something I always wondered about was the possible diferences between some old strong and trypy sativas and present sativa lines you have worked with Sam.

Do differences lay only in cannabinoids profiles with higher THC levels or is there any therpens which can affect to this extremely high potency and almost not found anymore nowadays?

best

Last edited:
G

guest3854

Ah yes , thanks fer correcting me Pops . Wife distracted me and forgot where I was in my sentence and where I was goin with it . On CBN , I know there are a lot of "snake oils" in tha clubs (salves) , and I seriously doubt that these strains folks are growin' out to process these salves , are coming from CBD high plants . If strains high in THC were used , are they still a good option fer topical ointments , beings that CBD is used as a anti-inflammatory among other things ?

BlueBeard , no worries , you have some enlightening points , always a pleasure to read your posts . If tha Jap lines are at about 3-4 % , then it sounds like an option , however , mexi - brickweed , has been handled so fucked up , it's bound to go up in potency when grown out from seed . If tha Japanese lines are at about that (3-4 %)when cut and processed , then it would seem you have a long search for some good candidates .

British , pleasure reading your posts as well . Lot's to learn ....

Londonium , though it could be taken rudely , folks are constantly asking because of tha love for RKS . But I must say , what would tha point be of NOT bringing it back ? "I could bring it back , but I don't want to" . Sounds a bit off to me . No doubt , much respect , just not following Sam's angle (and maybe it's an angle Sam don't want anybody to see) On tha Kush tip you speak of , we're currently goin through over 40 DC seedlings as well as tha Cali Kush varieties , '98 Bubba , LAPK , and tha Abusive and SFV are on tha way (Thanks fellas)

Much respect Sam , no doubt . If you would , what other Jap lines have you grown out and which ones were lookin into ? "I think what folks are trying to pick from your brain are ways of getting around having to grow out progeny to select tha best father ." If you would you touch on this ? "Over tha past couple yrs there has been an influx of folks lookin' fer pure breeding material , wondering if you have any plans on releasing anything like that ?"

Thanks
Steele

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lotta Kush then!

Lotta Kush then!

Wow! SteelSavage thats a whole lot of different Kush. I'd be very interested to hear your faves when you've tried them all,it will be quite a comprehensive test!
J :joint:

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sam_Skunkman said:
Mazar, but then crossed with a Columbian, then selfed, then the hybrid crossed with Acapulco Gold to make it a bit earlier.
But to be honest in the same seed batch from Afghanistan you will find many phenos, remember they may have thousands of females that the seeds came from, as well as thousands of males hitting every one of the females, so that is a lot of possible combos.....

It is also possible that the reason S African seems a bit Indica is because down on the tip of Africa, every ship that went around the Cape of Good Hope that had Cannabis, and that must have been thousands and thousands, and at least a few shared their Cannabis (and seeds) with locals. So S African may well be the result of the mixing of a lot of different Cannabis varieties from the world over.
-SamS

Many thanks Sam,,, you are a wealth of knowledge dude :yes: :canabis:

peace DocLeaf :joint:

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sam about your Durban

Sam about your Durban

SamS,While you mention S.A. I was just wondering how you sourced the original seeds for your Durban Poison,was it from a big farmer there or donated by a grower friend in the US and what u think of African Strains in general.
I've smoked and grown quite a lot of different 'Durban' myself,some from Sensi and other Dutch seedbaks and two different ones from seed I got from Africa: One from small brown paper wraps in Durban(30pence for 2/3 joints of some sticky black menthol shit) and the other from 2 Kilos bought from a small farmer(1000plants or so) in Transkei(Similar smell but less giggly high and Long thin but tight buds,dark green/gold in colour). Both collected in '92.
They all shared similarities in taste but differed greatly in high and intensity of smell.My favourite and the only one I have a decent amount of seeds in the fridge + a few crosses. was the Transkei 'Durban' because it was both vigorous and delicious to smoke.But I wish the Durban from the wraps had had more viable seeds as The 2 females I grew of it in '93 had a real social,buzzy high but yielded pathetically and didn't 'accept' any pollen for some reason?
I didn't see any Durban growing while I was In SA but saw Beautiful fields,plots and gardens of Malawi,Lesotho and Swazi and I intend to go back for a month or 2 this year for fun and seedhunting as I am a big fan of Good African weed and I won't be going blind this time so I hope ton pick up some varied pips while I'm there(I hope i can still get some Malawi Cob as Ive heard its scarce now like good Durban).We used to get a lot of African weed imported to london in the 80's & 90's but not so much anymore,worst luck!
Anyway I'd be interested to hear something about it when u get a chance?

I hope the suns shines bright on your life and your garden. JBo

G

Sam_Skunkman said:

By selfed do you mean you made feminised Mazar x Colombian seeds then crossed one of these females to an Acapulco male?

A friend has offered to share some Highland Oaxacan Gold beans with me and I'm keen to grow some out as it's legendary. Can you give any info about Acapulco/Oaxacan Sam, such as flower times and key traits you observed? Got any pics you can share with us of your Acapulco work?

mofeta

Veteran
Sam_Skunkman said:
Mazar was not collected by me, Neville bought the seeds in Pakistan from Afghani or Pakistani smugglers. It was a flop, he dropped it after a few years. -SamS

Sam_Skunkman said:
-SamS

Was the Mazar Neville couldn't sell of the same origins as the Mazar individual used in SK1?

Also, you mention quite frequently that the Haze from the '70s was the best weed ever. Why do no clones survive? Why can it not be reproduced? From what I understand, the Original Haze was a constellation of various high grade sativas from around the world. If its awesome characteristics were due to one of these varieties being the key, and this specific variety is now extirpated from the wild, and noone had seeds or clones, it would make sense to me that you would be able to come close but not hit the mark. This is at odds with what I have heard from you and other people in the know, however. From what I've read and heard there was no single one of the strains that accounted for Haze's superiority, that it was just good breeding with excellent stock. Was it just a million-to-one, unreproducable accident? This has never made sense to me.

G

Holy info pack!!!!!!!

Geeez folks,this has really turned into
a hell of a read to say the least........
Keep going!!

esbe

hybridsfromhell
Mentor
Veteran
Sam_Skunkman said:
I understand why breeders might need to smoke males, but when anyone tells me that a male is good smoke I wonder what they would say about what I smoke.....
I do know lots of people that won't smoke my dry sift because it is just to strong, they say, they mostly smoke a bit of Cannabis with a bunch of tobacco, must be about like smoking strong males pure without tobacco....

-SamS

:muahaha:

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
British_Hempire said:
By selfed do you mean you made feminised Mazar x Colombian seeds then crossed one of these females to an Acapulco male?

A friend has offered to share some Highland Oaxacan Gold beans with me and I'm keen to grow some out as it's legendary. Can you give any info about Acapulco/Oaxacan Sam, such as flower times and key traits you observed? Got any pics you can share with us of your Acapulco work?

Your'e a lucky man BH,You'll be growing a bit of history there,won't you?!
I know an English /Mexican Born grower in Norfolk who never stops going on about Oaxacan Gold and how weed plants never looked better than they did growing in the Highlands.They used to call it 'Highland Sunshine' when he was a teen apparently. His Great Uncle showed him all about males and Sensimellia growing with those plants to learn from.How great must that have been?
Can't wait to see some pics when u get them going,Your'e gathering a very eclectic library of strains there BH.Its exciting for me just knowing they are in the country as me.Sterling work fella! J :rasta:
P.S. I think selfed can just mean a male to female pollination of same plant as well as feminizing,but I'm happy to be corrected by wiser minds!

C

cway

Londinium said:
Your'e a lucky man BH,You'll be growing a bit of history there,won't you?!
I know an English /Mexican Born grower in Norfolk who never stops going on about Oaxacan Gold and how weed plants never looked better than they did growing in the Highlands.They used to call it 'Highland Sunshine' when he was a teen apparently. His Great Uncle showed him all about males and Sensimellia growing with those plants to learn from.How great must that have been?
Can't wait to see some pics when u get them going,Your'e gathering a very eclectic library of strains there BH.Its exciting for me just knowing they are in the country as me.Sterling work fella! J :rasta:
P.S. I think selfed can just mean a male to female pollination of same plant as well as feminizing,but I'm happy to be corrected by wiser minds!

Mexicans in VA? Damn I didnt know that we made it that far north.. LOL..

My family is from Mexico DF and I have traveled to Oaxaca and picked up some herb from locals with beans in them.. I have grown them out and most seem to be Dom Sativa but pretty oddly I have grown some that have some Indica characterstics.. Wider leaves that turn very narrow .. Its kinda wierd.. What do you guys think this is due to. Anyhow the females that I found were very typical sativa foxtail buds with about 12-14 week flower time.. not to potent but very nice smoke.. None have been that HOG but next time I go I plan to get more and maybe try to find some HOG..

I know that alond time ago when I was a youngster my Dad was a big fan of the Sinsemilla and talks about the herb that was Im sure what we called HOG.. They just call it Sinsemilla back in the day..

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
mofeta,
"Was the Mazar Neville couldn't sell of the same origins as the Mazar individual used in SK1?"

No not at all. Neville did not collect his Mazar until the mid-80's I had mine in the 70's.

"Also, you mention quite frequently that the Haze from the '70s was the best weed ever. Why do no clones survive?"

When were the first Cannabis clones made? How old are the oldest Cannabis clones? I don't know of any that are 30 years old...

"Why can it not be reproduced? From what I understand, the Original Haze was a constellation of various high grade sativas from around the world. If its awesome characteristics were due to one of these varieties being the key, and this specific variety is now extirpated from the wild, and noone had seeds or clones, it would make sense to me that you would be able to come close but not hit the mark. This is at odds with what I have heard from you and other people in the know, however. From what I've read and heard there was no single one of the strains that accounted for Haze's superiority, that it was just good breeding with excellent stock."

Original Haze was not the result of superior breeding, the guys who grew it were not breeders and only made a few seeds for their own use. They did take really great Sativas that are unavailable today and cross them and came up with really great Cannabis, but they had a choice of top of the line import Sativas that you do not see today in Calif.

"Was it just a million-to-one, unreproducable accident? This has never made sense to me."

So go try and find the best Sativas you can find and see if you can make another "Haze" maybe then you will understand.

-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
steel savage,
"I think what folks are trying to pick from your brain are ways of getting around having to grow out progeny to select tha best father ." If you would you touch on this ? Over tha past couple yrs there has been an influx of folks lookin' fer pure breeding material , wondering if you have any plans on releasing anything like that ?"

Any breeder that releases hybrids without growing progeny is putting the cart in front of the horse. Any breeder that selects male clones without growing progeny is pretty much doing the same thing. I don't know what to say about people that want to be breeders but don't want to grow lots of plants or spend the time to confirm the mothers and fathers they use are going to have progeny like they want.
I have no plans to release pure breeding materials.

"olks are constantly asking because of tha love for RKS . But I must say , what would tha point be of NOT bringing it back ? "I could bring it back , but I don't want to" . Sounds a bit off to me ."

Are you serious? I should do the work because you want me to? What about what I want to do with my time? Does that count?? Unbelievable!

Londinium,
"SamS,While you mention S.A. I was just wondering how you sourced the original seeds for your Durban Poison,was it from a big farmer there or donated by a grower friend in the US and what u think of African Strains in general."

I got S African Via S Africa, but the variety was fucked up, small plants, hermis, lots of problems, but it was early and had big bracts, so I cleaned it up for a few years and released it.

British_Hempire,
"By selfed do you mean you made feminised Mazar x Colombian seeds then crossed one of these females to an Acapulco male?"

No one made feminized seeds until after 1990, I selfed the MazarXColombian hybrids to other MazarXColombian hybrids. This was in the early 70's.

-SamS

D

Dalaihempy

Sam_Skunkman said:
How about if you smoke the unknown male does it mean you will like all the hybrid progeny, or are any poor selections?

I understand why breeders might need to smoke males, but when anyone tells me that a male is good smoke I wonder what they would say about what I smoke.....
I do know lots of people that won't smoke my dry sift because it is just to strong, they say, they mostly smoke a bit of Cannabis with a bunch of tobacco, must be about like smoking strong males pure without tobacco....

-SamS

hiya sam well your not going to know what you have untill you harvest and cure realy but as a male adds 50% by knowing if its firstly carrieing across potency would be a good starting point right ?, Not all off us can test males by useing machines to analise males make ups but by smoke testing the males of a given line to select the strongest has to be a better starting point than just going by the look of a male plant alone as many seam to do.

As you sed even if you test the males by a machine dont mean a lot ethir untill you test the off spring but helps right.

As for smokeing males sam i only do it to test them but in the past i personaly have used them to mix with my hash instead of useing tabaco as others did in the old days but only if i had no cured flowers.

I do smoke tabaco but if i smoke cannabis i dont mix it i smoke only cannabis but lots do as you sed mix tabaco with there joints me no.

G

Sam_Skunkman said:
British_Hempire,
"By selfed do you mean you made feminised Mazar x Colombian seeds then crossed one of these females to an Acapulco male?"

No one made feminized seeds until after 1990, I selfed the MazarXColombian hybrids to other MazarXColombian hybrids. This was in the early 70's.

-SamS

Thanks for explaining that Sam, I treasure every morsel of knowledge you share with us!

There was a thread back on Overgrow discussing South African sativas and it was said by a SA local that you could walk for many miles from village to village and see different varieties of cannabis growing at pretty much every habitation you passed. He said you would see hundreds of different types of plants and he found it crazy that folks in other places thought there was only one variety called 'Swazi Red' or only one 'Durban Poison' - he said there are hundreds of different but related varieties that could be labelled as such. I think he was mostly talking about the Transkei and other areas of South Africa. I imagine if you include other territories in south east Africa such as Malawi and Lesotho, there is a huge genepool of related sativas types to be explored. Franco told myself (and Sam was stood next to me at the time) at the last icmag cup in the underground expo hall that he was currently working in the Transkei collecting new varieties and he had found some very old Transkei varieties unrelated to the Swazi Reds, Durbans etc. that we are familiar with.

The history of cannabis smoking in South Africa really began with the importation of labourers from Southern India in the 1880s and later. Although therer was already indigenous wild cannabis grwoing here, the local Africans didn't smoke it. It is known that Zulu witch doctors knew of the plant and used it, Zulu warriors of the impis of Tsetsewayo who fought the British in the early 1870s (Rorke's Drift, Isandlwhana etc.) wore horns around their necks that contained powdered concoctions prepared by their witch doctors. The warriors would snort these powders from the horns a few minutes before entering battle and would get very high indeed and enter a state of intoxication where they would even believe bullets would not harm them. The Zulu equivalent of passing out the rum to the British redcoats and similar chemically to what the viking beserkers experienced after consuming fly agaric to become extremely fierce warriors. Examination of the powder remanants in horns found on the bodies of Zulus found by archaeologists studying the site of the battle of Islandlwhana revelaed that one of the main ingredients of these powders was the flowering tops of female cannabis plants, there were also mushrooms similar to fly agaric in the powder mixture.

When gold and diamonds were discovered after the Zulu wars, tens of thouands of Indian indentured labour was imported by the British. These Indians were mostly from the south of India and brought their ganja smoking culture with them. The British not only tolerated the smoking of ganja by their Indian labour, but positively encouraged it and there were even priavte company ganja fields cultivated to provide ganja for their workers - deBeers even had ganja fields and paid their Indian workers partly with ganja. I would expect the Indians brought seeds with them, but certainly they also bought wild cannabis from the local Africans who were all too pleased to discover they could collect a weed that grew abundantly all over the countryside and sell it to the Indians who generally lived in compounds and could not go collect the wild 'dagga' themselves.

So I would imagine that the genepool of South African cannabis is a rich mix of indigenous wild cannabis and importations from the South Indian genepool. I've smoked wild cannabis collected from the roadside in Zimbabwe and dried on a rock in the sun so it turned brown and then brought to england rolled up in a carrier bag in a suitcase an it was some of the strongest most hallucinatory pot I have ever smoked.

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
If any of the Arabs think that cannabis cures flatulence, they need to come to my house after I make chili. It has a great many medical uses, but that is not one of them.

Latest posts

Latest posts