acespicoli

1701829955249.png

1701830263106.png

Antidote Man
1701830637216.png

acespicoli

1702065302134.png

1702065544959.png

Eugene Oregon :thinking: a single indica male clone...
1702066224856.png

1702066297551.png

1702066810995.png

RedSky​

Romulan Origins

Romulan was created by a guy named Romulan Joe once known as Mendocino Joe who was one of the founders of the Trinity grow scene. Romulan is a mostly afghani hybrid not related to Sk#1. It is very popular with the marijuana medical scene because of it's potency for treating chronic pain. There are a few banks that carry the strain and it's hybrids. Federation had the original clone, and 97% pure seed form. Next Generation has many of Federation's strains including Romulan. Reeferman has Romulan and it's hybrids. Marc Emery used to have a Romulan x White Widow cross that was very popular. I have seen pics of this Rom/WW hybrid, and they are truly amazing with almost purple look, super thick buds, and with crystals all over the entire plant! Another hybrids that was popular was Romberry (Romulan x BlueBerry)with it's exotic taste and awesome purple colors! Subcool seeds has a C99 x Romulan cross called Space Queen.

In the old days whenever someone mentioned Romulan, the talk of California Blue Indicas comes up. I am not sure what Blue Indica means, but they get mentioned. I know Romulan is mostly of Afghan origin, but I would like to know what the other genetics of the plant are. Maybe there is a little Paki/Hindu Kush or Lebanese hashplant mixed in. General concensus says that it is not entirely Afghan, and that it has more sativa in it than a landrace Afghan or Hindu Kush. I am thinking that it is slightly under 15%-10% sativa. Since it has a lot of purple coloring, it may have a little Colombian Green, Red, or Black in it. There is talk of it maybe having a very little amount of mexican genetics in it as well, maybe Oaxacan. People tried to grow these late flowering equatorial sativas outdoors up north with little sucess until Afghan seeds arrived. That's my specualtion. It may have a little haze crossed in, but I think that Northern Lights has the claim on the multiple Afghan x (Afghan x Haze) cross.

Federation acquired a strain from Romulan Joe (A Vietnam Vet/East Bay Biker) from California and grew it on Vancouver island. It was given to them in clone form. I guess that Federation crossed it with White Rhino to get seeds. They backcrossed it 11 times backwards to the original clone. They favored backcrossed plants that were the largest & most robust while still finishing within 8 weeks flowering time. Federation's seeds are 97% like the orig clone. Now it has been inbred ever since, and it is good breeding material to cross other plants with.

The overall structure of the plant is short and stocky. They said it can get a very branchy compared to other afghan/indicas, and it isn't the best choice for SOG. The color of the buds and leaves are very dark green with a thick structure. Leaves are wide. The stems on the plant turn purple. I'd imagine that maybe other parts of plant will start to turn purp near the end of harvest time. The plant is pretty frosted in that some stems have crystals on them. The yields mentioned are 30g-60g per plant indoors, up to 250g outside. Since it is almost all indica and an IBL, it doesn't have hybrid vigor and the sativa stretch in flowering that other strains tend to have. I have seen growers get a little more yields out of the plant. Federation says Rom can foster mold near harvest time if you are in a humid environment.

Federation claims Romulan as it's strongest strain potency wise. It was nicknamed Romulan because "the high can put a dent in your head". Most people claim that the high is a little more clearer thinking than most indicas, but still strong enough to Kick Your Ass. The smells are pretty strong ranging from a pungent piney to an acrid fruity/pepper smell.

:)Peace

Last edited:

Digger102

I was going to go into this whole thing about thanking you for keeping the thread going, and yada yada, but I gotta get this out, dude!! How the fuck we supposed to read that?!? You couldn’t copy the text and post that instead of screenshots?

CharlesU Farley

View attachment 18929944
View attachment 18929945
Eugene Oregon :thinking: a single indica male clone...
View attachment 18929947
View attachment 18929954
View attachment 18929965

RedSky​

Romulan Origins

Romulan was created by a guy named Romulan Joe once known as Mendocino Joe who was one of the founders of the Trinity grow scene. Romulan is a mostly afghani hybrid not related to Sk#1. It is very popular with the marijuana medical scene because of it's potency for treating chronic pain. There are a few banks that carry the strain and it's hybrids. Federation had the original clone, and 97% pure seed form. Next Generation has many of Federation's strains including Romulan. Reeferman has Romulan and it's hybrids. Marc Emery used to have a Romulan x White Widow cross that was very popular. I have seen pics of this Rom/WW hybrid, and they are truly amazing with almost purple look, super thick buds, and with crystals all over the entire plant! Another hybrids that was popular was Romberry (Romulan x BlueBerry)with it's exotic taste and awesome purple colors! Subcool seeds has a C99 x Romulan cross called Space Queen.

In the old days whenever someone mentioned Romulan, the talk of California Blue Indicas comes up. I am not sure what Blue Indica means, but they get mentioned. I know Romulan is mostly of Afghan origin, but I would like to know what the other genetics of the plant are. Maybe there is a little Paki/Hindu Kush or Lebanese hashplant mixed in. General concensus says that it is not entirely Afghan, and that it has more sativa in it than a landrace Afghan or Hindu Kush. I am thinking that it is slightly under 15%-10% sativa. Since it has a lot of purple coloring, it may have a little Colombian Green, Red, or Black in it. There is talk of it maybe having a very little amount of mexican genetics in it as well, maybe Oaxacan. People tried to grow these late flowering equatorial sativas outdoors up north with little sucess until Afghan seeds arrived. That's my specualtion. It may have a little haze crossed in, but I think that Northern Lights has the claim on the multiple Afghan x (Afghan x Haze) cross.

Federation acquired a strain from Romulan Joe (A Vietnam Vet/East Bay Biker) from California and grew it on Vancouver island. It was given to them in clone form. I guess that Federation crossed it with White Rhino to get seeds. They backcrossed it 11 times backwards to the original clone. They favored backcrossed plants that were the largest & most robust while still finishing within 8 weeks flowering time. Federation's seeds are 97% like the orig clone. Now it has been inbred ever since, and it is good breeding material to cross other plants with.

The overall structure of the plant is short and stocky. They said it can get a very branchy compared to other afghan/indicas, and it isn't the best choice for SOG. The color of the buds and leaves are very dark green with a thick structure. Leaves are wide. The stems on the plant turn purple. I'd imagine that maybe other parts of plant will start to turn purp near the end of harvest time. The plant is pretty frosted in that some stems have crystals on them. The yields mentioned are 30g-60g per plant indoors, up to 250g outside. Since it is almost all indica and an IBL, it doesn't have hybrid vigor and the sativa stretch in flowering that other strains tend to have. I have seen growers get a little more yields out of the plant. Federation says Rom can foster mold near harvest time if you are in a humid environment.

Federation claims Romulan as it's strongest strain potency wise. It was nicknamed Romulan because "the high can put a dent in your head". Most people claim that the high is a little more clearer thinking than most indicas, but still strong enough to Kick Your Ass. The smells are pretty strong ranging from a pungent piney to an acrid fruity/pepper smell.

:)Peace
Any post that discusses the history of Romulan and does not mention Vic High doesn't really understand who standardized and popularized it via the BCGA.

acespicoli

A recent study conducted in the Cosmics Leaving Outdoor Droplets large cloud chamber at CERN, has identified sesquiterpenes — gaseous hydrocarbons that are released by plants — as potentially playing a major role in cloud formation in relatively pristine regions of the atmosphere.[2]
___

Sesquiterpenes are a class of primary terpenes that account for approximately 7% of the overall terpene makeup of a cannabis plant. They are secreted in the sticky resin glands of the cannabis plant. Sesquiterpene is found in fragrant, fresh oils from cannabis bud, and because terpenes also contain levels of THC and CBD, these terpenes can bind to receptors in the brain and provide various medicinal benefits.

Sesquiterpenes act as a pheromone on the plant with a strong odor to repel harmful insects and attract pollinating insects. Sesquiterpenes differ from other cannabis terpenes because it contains one additional isoprene unit to create a 15-carbon structure; this makes sesquiterpenes less volatile than monoterpenes.

Garlic Bud and "Shiva Skunk (pedigree)"
1702988371844.png

1702988389524.png

Sulfur (S) is an essential nutrient assimilated through the diet and incorporated into organic structures such as amino acids, coenzymes, and other bioactive compounds. Plants’ ability to regulate stress resistance via secondary metabolism has extended the interest in S-containing compounds, driven by their additional properties as bioactive molecules. Among plant families that produce S-compounds, the Brassicaceae, which includes broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower, and the Liliaceae family, which includes garlic and onion, stand out.

1702989748107.png

1702988825826.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron -16 ACID

Humulene Caryophyllene

Attachments

• 1702988024039.png
    1702988024039.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 1702988261429.png
    1702988261429.png
    151.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 1702988889513.png
    1702988889513.png
    217.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 1702989136380.png
    1702989136380.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 1702989287184.png
    1702989287184.png
    116.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 1702989389236.png
    1702989389236.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

acespicoli

Compound% of total

Myrcene
29.4–65.8

α-Pinene
2.3–31.0

β-Pinene
0.9–7.8

delta-3-Carene
trace–3.5

Limonene
0.2–6.9

β-phellandrene
0.2–0.6

cis-Ocimene
trace–0.3

trans-Ocimene
0.3–10.2

α-Terpinolene
trace–23.8

α-Bergamotene
trace–0.8

trans-Caryophyllene
3.8–37.5

α-Humulene
0.7–7.4

β-Farnesene
trace–1.4
β-Selinenetrace–0.5
Selina-3,7(11)-dienetrace–0.7
Caryophyllene oxidetrace–11.3
Total monoterpenes47.9–92.1
Total sesquiterpenes4.0–47.5

acespicoli

The Oxford Companion to Beer definition of

lightstruck.​

Lightstruck. Beer with off–aromas is often colloquially said to be “skunked,” but those who have encountered a skunk-like flavor in their beer rarely know how close they are to the truth. Certain compounds in hops are light sensitive and when exposed to strong light a photo-oxidation reaction takes place, creating the intensely flavor-active compound 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol (MBT). MBT is one of the most powerful flavor substances known to man. Commonly referred to as “skunky,” the pungent odor compound resembles that of the famously malodorous defense spray deployed by skunks.
In 1875 the German chemist Dr Carl Lintner first reported on the formation of an offending taste and obnoxious odor in beer exposed to light. In the 1960s, Yoshiro Kuroiwa suggested that the main constituent of the off-flavor was MBT derived from the photodecomposition of isohumulones, the beer bittering principles, in the presence of a photosensitizer, namely riboflavin (vitamin B2). Further, the Kuroiwa group established that the blue part of the visible spectrum (350–500 nm) in particular is most efficient in generating lightstruck flavor. In strong sunlight, the reaction can be almost instantaneous, with tasting panels able to detect the aromatic effects of an exposure to less than 10 seconds of full sunshine. Under less deleterious conditions, for example a display cabinet with fluorescent lighting, these reactions still occur, though they may take a number of days or weeks to become noticeable.
This now well-known reaction involves the cleavage in the isopentenyl-side chain of the iso- alpha acids in hops. See iso-alpha acids. This photocleavage is light-catalyzed and results in the formation of a dimethyl allyl radical. Reaction of the radical with sulfur-containing compounds (thiols) forms MBT. Green or clear glass offers little to no protection against this reaction, but brown glass is highly effective, at least against short-term or low-intensity exposure. Aluminum cans or beer stored in kegs offers the best protection against exposure to light. Despite the lack of protection offered by clear and green glass bottles, some breweries persist in using them, the bottle color having become an important part of their branding strategy.
When the bottle offers no protection, modern hop chemistry has brought alternatives for preventing MBT formation from hops. “Tetra” and “hexa” hops are modified by reductions in side-chain double bonds that prevent the photodegradation reaction. These advanced hop products are based on liquid or supercritical carbon dioxide extracts of hops. See humulone. The resins in these are in turn isomerized in alkaline solutions into isohumulones which can be further reduced to produce bittering compounds that do not degrade into MBT. These advanced forms of bittering hops are known as “light stable” products. Their use in brewing yields a beer that is less vulnerable to the deleterious effects of sunlight, although it must be remembered that light can induce other flavor changes in beer that are not related to hops.
Research has recently revealed two unidentified compounds with aromas indistinguishable from the “skunky” aroma used to describe MBT. It is thought that these two new, yet to be elucidated compounds contribute to the overall lightstruck flavor in beer. Perhaps more interesting is the fact that MBT and one of the newly discovered compounds also formed during thermal aging in canned beer in the absence of light.

Lusk, L, et al. Beer photooxidation creates two compounds with aromas indistinguishable from 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol. Journal of American Society of Brewing Chemists 67 (2009): 183–88.

Christopher Bird

Research has shown that Humulus lupulus (the plant that makes hops) and Cannabis sativa (also called hemp and marijuana) are closely related,[1][a] and it may be possible to create novel cultivars of hops that express valuable chemicals similar to commercial hemp. Both hops and cannabis contain terpenes and terpenoids; tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is a terpenoid.[3][4] Hops lack the enzyme that could convert cannabigerolic acid into THC or CBD,[5]

This radical can finally react with sulfur-containing amino acids, such as cysteine, to create 3-methylbut-2-ene-1-thiol, a thiol which causes beer to develop a "skunky" flavor.[2]

ultraviolet and visible light.
The light causes riboflavin to react with and break down isohumulones, chemicals that contribute to the bitterness of the beer and are derived from the hops. A molecule resulting from a subsequent chain of reactions, 3-methylbut-2-ene-1-thiol, is very similar chemically and in odour to the musk-borne mercaptans that are a skunk's natural defences.[30] It has also been identified as the primary odorant in cannabis that contributes to its skunk-like aroma.[31]

Last edited:

acespicoli

1702994858690.png

Gelato 41 - Bacio for reference to the previous post (seems off topic right?)
#100 you have to go back and read the citation paper from post 100
while it may have the nose it lacks the bag appeal imo being mostly indica in structure
Have a source for the clone... to be continued,,,

Last edited:

acespicoli

SK0.jpeg

SKUNKWEED AFGHANI '69

DOPE GROWER October 1 1979 “R.,” Dope Connoisseur
High Times: What made it such a hit? Grower: Well, I’m sure one of the reasons is because it’s different. The pure indica is a little strong, a greasy kind of smoke, but it’s really pure. They call it skunkweed because it stinks. The pure indica is a hash plant, basically, an Afghani variety, and it’s really good by itself. The leaves are kind of short. It matures early. It’s a real dark green and very crystally. It’s so covered with crystalline resin.
High Times: How would you describe the high? Is it like a hash high?
Grower: Yeah, it’s like a hash high, but it’s longer lasting and it’s sweeter—an “up” hash high.
High Times: And what is this stuff crossed with to make the hybrid?
Grower: Some sativa. This guy had some nice Hawaiian hash-plant seeds that he grew last year, and those were pollinated with his Thai seeds, and that’s what this is. It’s a pleasant mix. They’re coming up with the nicest, best stuff.

High Times: I like the idea of gourmet mixing on the genetic level.

High Times: Can they tell by smoking a joint what genetic mix it is?
Grower: Pretty much. But at that level every plant is a little bit different.

Grower: Yeah, the best growers I know are guys who are into it on that level. The best stuff they call
four way.” They’ve been growing it for about ten years. And this year they have the sweetest; you’d like it, you’d appreciate it. It’s a very fine taste ... a little bit of hash plant and just a really nice mix. And boy are they into it. Everything is marked and graded.

:xmasnut:
He was called "Shemp" because "Sam" came out that way in his mother's thick Litvak accent.
1703649528663.png
1703649860427.png

Attachments

• SK5.jpeg
    SK5.jpeg
    488.5 KB · Views: 32
  • SK4.jpeg
    SK4.jpeg
    497.5 KB · Views: 43
  • SK3.jpeg
    SK3.jpeg
    738.4 KB · Views: 34
  • SK2.jpeg
    SK2.jpeg
    653.6 KB · Views: 47
  • SK1.jpeg
    SK1.jpeg
    786.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

acespicoli

Nevil said:

Super Skunk or what ever it's called theses days, was prime breeding stock. This will be in a lot of the new varieties today. I once did an analysis on sales statistics. Mine and Sensi's. Super Skunk is the number one variety sold by volume of seeds. NL5xHzC was the number one income producing variety. SS was cheaper.

It was AfgT (ML) that put some super into the skunk. SK1 had bud structure and caylyx to leaf ratio. The best thing about SK1 is the lack of leaf in the bud. Pull off a few fan leaves and your done. The trouble is, most skunks are bland and uninspiring. They are also the first plants in your grow room to show problems. I often used to use one as a canary in the mine. Spider mites love 'em. But SK1 is unparalleled for improving bud structure.
AfgT had a sister, AfgS. This was a sweeter version than the T. It was, however AfgSxSk1 that produced the strongest specimen. This one plant AfgSxSk1 was awe inspiring. It tasted like a Hash Plant with real depth an quality. Strong, strong, strong! I had crossed this plant back to Sk1 and then to SS. This is where I'd be looking to resurrect the best of Maple leaf. In general, plants with AfgS in it's make up should be crossed with AfgT line plants. Sooner or later, throw backs will pop up. As I've said before, I believe, bases on similarity of types and smells, that the Maple Leaf strain is the Afghan behind the original skunks.
I wonder if Shanti has used lines containing AfgS?
N.

1704324965529.png

Oasis Northern Lights #2

1704325135632.png

Todd's NL2
1704325607864.png

Steve Murphy's Afghani IBL
1704326193966.png

Picture from: KushinAsher
1704326557049.png

1704326356620.png

Some more breeder insights

Last edited:
View attachment 18941826
View attachment 18941828
Strain: Critical Mass
Breeder: Mr Nice Seedbank
Photo made at: Anfang October
Upload date: 20.10.2011
Picture from: euskalbud

Anyone working these types big bud and critical, maybe dinafems ?
Growing some white label Super Skunk, were gifted to me a few years ago, but no idea where from or how old they are (got them in 2017 I think). Only know they yielded well, and the grower was a bit of a noob.

acespicoli

Interesting facts
The seedbank of Holland
Sensi Seeds
White Label
Alot of history there... Sam Nevil Ben

Good post to explain the evolution and why the name changes

will edit this with more details and dates
70s 80s 98 etc
All the offerings are good genetics to work and look for funk the phenos are in there and the crosses, time and effort :huggg: