What's new

The Bread thread

EnjoyingLife

I posted the recipe because I haven't used many of the starches and flours that are used in it. Coconut flour is not in it or eggs. I'm hoping for a good looking loaf. It may not taste great. We will see later tonight or tomorrow.
I'll have to show my gf this recipe to see if she'd eat it. If not, more for me!

Also, I'm not convinced coconut flour belongs in bread. Maybe if it's a sweet bread?
The coconut flavor was the dominant one in that keto loaf.
Being essentially a basic white bread recipe may be why though.

jokerman

Premium user
Thank you @jokerman. Do you make your own bread?
No but I cook like a hungry man.
I am a electrician retired who had bakeries as customers.
Till 4 years ago I was eating the same Italian bread for 64 years.
I have a kitchen aid and lookin to learn this winter!
And bagels! I live in Long Island NY.
We have bagel stores..
Theres is nothing I like better than eating a nice buttered bagel while I wait for them to make me a egg sandwich🙄

Timj

Here's that gluten free loaf fresh out of the oven. Unlike traditional breads this needs to cool for 5-6 hours. I don't want to rush cutting into it and having a gummy loaf so I'll wait to show the crumb. This thing feels like a cinder block. Heavy in weight.
20231125_181028.jpg

EnjoyingLife

Here's that gluten free loaf fresh out of the oven. Unlike traditional breads this needs to cool for 5-6 hours. I don't want to rush cutting into it and having a gummy loaf so I'll wait to show the crumb. This thing feels like a cinder block. Heavy in weight. View attachment 18923540
I showed my gf this pic and she said damn babe that looks super good.
I'm assuming she'll happily eat it.
Yeah no need to chance ruining the loaf. I'll be here when you post it.

Timj

We have bagel stores..
Theres is nothing I like better than eating a nice buttered bagel while I wait for them to make me a egg sandwich🙄
I'm from the Albany area of NY. My girlfriend is from Long Island. Those bagels I posted are as good as any I've ever had.

jokerman

Premium user
We have bagel stores..
Apple pies with a nice Crisco crust melts my butter too.

SubGirl

420club
That recipe looks good. I make a similar banana walnut loaf. I sometimes cut the nut addition in 1/2 and use a 1/2 cup of ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips in addition to the 1/2 cup of nuts. It just adds another layer of flavor. Post pictures if you make it @SubGirl .
The dark chips sound like a bonus

Timj

It's not bad with some butter. Or with some liverwurst. I'll try a toasted piece now.

Edit: Toast is not bad. Reminds me of Melba toast a little. I guess this stuff could grow on you.

Last edited:

exoticrobotic

Ok, here's the crumb shot of that Gluten free bread. It looks like bread and kind of smells similar. But, it's not my cup of tea. Maybe, if I had no other choice. I guess being spoiled with delicious artisan bread has skewed my opinion. View attachment 18923832

It still looks damn tasty!

I bake all my own bread, but use a Panasonic bread maker :noway:

I used to knead it by hand but the bread maker gives it a really good pounding i could never manage which seems to produce the excellent texture inside.

Only prob with the machine is every loaf tastes the same.

Ahh there goes the beep now

IMG_2625.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

It's a bit wonky as is the floor..

I will be buying a large crock pot and following your recipe so i can bake bread like yours @Timj

I tried some artisan bread from a relative last Christmas with some home smoked Salmon and it blew me away...

The depth of malty flavour in the dark crust was sublime.

Wake n Bake n Ganj on:rasta:

Timj

It still looks damn tasty!

I bake all my own bread, but use a Panasonic bread maker :noway:

I used to knead it by hand but the bread maker gives it a really good pounding i could never manage which seems to produce the excellent texture inside.

Only prob with the machine is every loaf tastes the same.

Ahh there goes the beep now

View attachment 18923851
View attachment 18923852

It's a bit wonky as is the floor..

I will be buying a large crock pot and following your recipe so i can bake bread like yours @Timj

I tried some artisan bread from a relative last Christmas with some home smoked Salmon and it blew me away...

The depth of malty flavour in the dark crust was sublime.

Wake n Bake n Ganj on:rasta:
Nice bread @exoticrobotic . The sourdough I posted is a very easy recipe to make and the more you make it the easier it becomes. I do not knead that bread at all. I use the bowl folding technique that is explained in the recipe. I did purchase a special ceramic bread baking vessel. But, I like my oval aluminum turkey roasting pot for bread making better.

EnjoyingLife

Ok, here's the crumb shot of that Gluten free bread. It looks like bread and kind of smells similar. But, it's not my cup of tea. Maybe, if I had no other choice. I guess being spoiled with delicious artisan bread has skewed my opinion. View attachment 18923832
It looks great to me. Thank so much for baking and sharing!
Glutenous bread is definitely a different beast than gluten free. I'd go for a good sour dough or loaf with a crunchy crust and chewy without being gummy inside pretty much every time.
However, my gf can't eat gluten and as I said my intestines don't like it in large amounts.
Sympathy pains? Maybe...