What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Bread thread

Timj

It looks great to me. Thank so much for baking and sharing!
Glutenous bread is definitely a different beast than gluten free. I'd go for a good sour dough or loaf with a crunchy crust and chewy without being gummy inside pretty much every time.
However, my gf can't eat gluten and as I said my intestines don't like it in large amounts.
Sympathy pains? Maybe...
Thank you EnjoyingLife.
I find that the gummy bread is "most of the time" from cutting into it before the crumb has time to finish cooking. I wait 1 hour minimum on my bread coming out from the oven before I'll cut it open. Also, Too much diastatic malt powder can produce a gummy and unappealing product, so it’s best to start with around 0.1 to 0.2% of the flour's weight and work up from there in small increments.

The gluten free recipe suggested 5-6 hours or overnight before cutting into the loaf. I waited overnight.
I will try a buckwheat based gluten free bread next. Just for the sake of trying different recipes and methods of baking gluten free bread. I will add. Baking gluten free bread cost me about 6 times as much as regular bread.
That's funny about the sympathy pains.

Last edited:

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
Excellent thread, I envy your desire, and you taking the time to make your own bread. I think I gained 2 pounds reading this thread front to back… when I had a boat many years ago, I always brought a bottle of wine, a nice fresh baguette, some cheese, dried sausage, and most certainly a few joints to sea with me…

blondie

I’ve been following this thread for a while now and the gluten free resonates with me. So hard to resist bread but gluten and me don’t work so well.. I need to get going on gluten free and post. I’ve had gluten free bagels and it’s not so good though.

EnjoyingLife

Thank you EnjoyingLife.
I find that the gummy bread is "most of the time" from cutting into it before the crumb has time to finish cooking. I wait 1 hour minimum on my bread coming out from the oven before I'll cut it open. Also, Too much diastatic malt powder can produce a gummy and unappealing product, so it’s best to start with around 0.1 to 0.2% of the flour's weight and work up from there in small increments.

The gluten free recipe suggested 5-6 hours or overnight before cutting into the loaf. I waited overnight.
I will try a buckwheat based gluten free bread next. Just for the sake of trying different recipes and methods of baking gluten free bread. I will add. Baking gluten free bread cost me about 6 times as much as regular bread.
That's funny about the sympathy pains.
I would think buckwheat may be heartier. Spelt (not sure it's 100% gluten free) may be another option.
Back when I tried the raw food diet I made a spelt loaf that was dehydrated and it was super good!
I made note of the diastatic malt powder.

Timj

Excellent thread, I envy your desire, and you taking the time to make your own bread. I think I gained 2 pounds reading this thread front to back… when I had a boat many years ago, I always brought a bottle of wine, a nice fresh baguette, some cheese, dried sausage, and most certainly a few joints to sea with me…
Thank you @Boo. I'm happy you liked the thread. It sounds like you made some fond memories on your boat.

Timj

I’ve been following this thread for a while now and the gluten free resonates with me. So hard to resist bread but gluten and me don’t work so well.. I need to get going on gluten free and post. I’ve had gluten free bagels and it’s not so good though.
I'm glad your enjoying the thread @blondie and hope you share your breads here for all of us to learn from. I'll be making a buckwheat based gluten free bread next. It's a bit different than my first gluten free loaf above. I may also make this one as a boule.

Timj

I would think buckwheat may be heartier. Spelt (not sure it's 100% gluten free) may be another option.
Back when I tried the raw food diet I made a spelt loaf that was dehydrated and it was super good!
I made note of the diastatic malt powder.
I have not used spelt in my loaves,yet. If you fresh grind malted barley for their enzymes in organic growing medium. You already have diastatic malt powder. I have made bread with buckwheat flour once and it was a failure. That is the reason I what to try again. And... I still have the rest of a 5 pound bag of it.

blondie

Gluten free dough, just beginning to rise.

Attachments

• EB3891DE-E42E-4C52-AF62-8655E3DBBE96.jpeg
    EB3891DE-E42E-4C52-AF62-8655E3DBBE96.jpeg
    771 KB · Views: 29

blondie

It rose a little and is formed, kind of. This dough is different than flour dough and is adding to its “physically challenged” look. Time to let rise again...

Attachments

• 1A61D221-C50D-4554-A1CC-504C2B30D613.jpeg
    1A61D221-C50D-4554-A1CC-504C2B30D613.jpeg
    525.9 KB · Views: 25

blondie

Not so sure about this gluten free recipe. It needs some cooling time and a taste. In case anyone is wondering, this is three strand Challah. Mix below and cook for 20-30 at 350. Doesn’t brown up real well..

• 3 cups (360g) King Arthur Gluten-Free Bread Flour
  • 1 cup (227g) water, lukewarm
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 large egg yolk, (white reserved for the topping)
  • 1/4 cup (50g) vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons instant yeast
  • 1 teaspoon table salt

Attachments

• C17305C6-84E0-4090-9841-4CF657E3A6B1.jpeg
    C17305C6-84E0-4090-9841-4CF657E3A6B1.jpeg
    602.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 5EC444D3-EBBF-45E6-9C67-682A5FB33C43.jpeg
    5EC444D3-EBBF-45E6-9C67-682A5FB33C43.jpeg
    539.2 KB · Views: 31

X15

This one is called Pan de Cristal it is a 100% hydration bread. This means when first brought together you'd never think the dough would be more than pancake batter. It uses equal parts water and flour. It was a challange I wanted to take. It turned out to be one of the most wonderful textures of light,fluffy and crispy along with an excellent taste. It can also be made using chocolate. View attachment 18867152 View attachment 18867153

Holy shit this looks amazing!
Making me hungry Bud! Nice work!

X15

Thank you @X15. My favorite and the easiest to make is the sourdough I posted above.
Yeah your sourdough looks amazing too. I have tried to make some two times but didn’t do a very good job. Guess I shouldn’t give up. I know it takes some practice. Just was very let down lol. I blame our oven but I think getting a temp gauge for it would help. It seems way off from what the time indicator says lol.

Timj

Yeah your sourdough looks amazing too. I have tried to make some two times but didn’t do a very good job. Guess I shouldn’t give up. I know it takes some practice. Just was very let down lol. I blame our oven but I think getting a temp gauge for it would help. It seems way off from what the time indicator says lol.
I've been using a recipe that this site posted about 6 years ago. It's a shame her site has so many adds on it now. I didn't have one when she first started out. She also changed things a little. But, it is very informative and if you read and understand her lesson. You should be able to figure out where you went wrong. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask for help. If I can't help you maybe one of the other contributors here can.