What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Bread thread

Timj

My gluten free Challah is not so good. I won’t be unhappy if it molds... gluten free is not to my liking. That sourdough looks oh so good. One of my favorites.
I could only bring myself to eat a few slices. You convinced me to try toast and that was my second piece. Then it got moldy and like you I wasn't sad about it.

I love that sour dough. I added 10 grams of freshly ground malted barley to that loaf.

EnjoyingLife

I've been using a recipe that this site posted about 6 years ago. It's a shame her site has so many adds on it now. I didn't have one when she first started out. She also changed things a little. But, it is very informative and if you read and understand her lesson. You should be able to figure out where you went wrong. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask for help. If I can't help you maybe one of the other contributors here can.
uBlockorigin (uBlock Origin?) is a fantastic adblocker.
There is a slight learning curve when figuring out how to stay private, block ads and not break the site but once you do it once or twice it's pretty straight forward.
Or just use it out of box and while not completely private it does a great job.
Almost forgot to mention it's better on Firefox vs Chrome. Google made it where it's less customisable.
I use the esr version of Firefox also so it may be broke in mainstream Firefox these days as it seems to have been googlised.

Timj

uBlockorigin (uBlock Origin?) is a fantastic adblocker.
There is a slight learning curve when figuring out how to stay private, block ads and not break the site but once you do it once or twice it's pretty straight forward.
Or just use it out of box and while not completely private it does a great job.
Almost forgot to mention it's better on Firefox vs Chrome. Google made it where it's less customisable.
I use the esr version of Firefox also so it may be broke in mainstream Firefox these days as it seems to have been googlised.
Thank you @EnjoyingLife. I use a cheap Google Chromebook. I just mentioned the ads as I know how frustrating they can be.

dramamine

Ciabatta, just out of the oven.

Attachments

• 20231206_152313.jpg
    20231206_152313.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 30

dramamine

Here's a crumb shot.
Check out the cold fermentation tech for these types of bread. They're really pretty simple and only reqire a couple hours of countertop proofing. This one is 71% hydration.

Attachments

• 20231209_110511.jpg
    20231209_110511.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 26

blondie

That sourdough looks great. Today I made banana nut bread. I have to make sourdough next.

Attachments

• 3AD6C1AB-E8FC-4174-B0D7-ABF615F6F07B.jpeg
    3AD6C1AB-E8FC-4174-B0D7-ABF615F6F07B.jpeg
    650.7 KB · Views: 25
  • F6D5167C-9040-47ED-984F-10E4C046C4E9.jpeg
    F6D5167C-9040-47ED-984F-10E4C046C4E9.jpeg
    637.9 KB · Views: 26

blondie

Quite good! Better than gluten free. It stayed moist and the banana/nut ratio was just about right. They complimented one another. This was a simple Betty Crocker recipe but still pretty decent.

Abdthi1966

Premium user
Ahhh my friend I’m drooling over your wonderful creations. I had to go gluten free recently and my 100 year old Alaskan starter has gone woefully unused. Alas…….I can live vicariously through you.

Timj

Great looking bread. Nice color and I like your wheat patterns. I guess you're baking for more than one person.