What's new

The Bread thread

kokomarin

Cherny hleb is black bread in every slavic language,but origin is from Ukraine,rye bread 100%,2-3 hours in woodfire oven,black,heavy burned.
Pumpernickel is german dark from intregral grains flours with or without seeds,but in EU rule is,you cannot label rye bread if is rye flour is less then 45%.
I was recently in metabolic stress where my blood glucose was high sky,so for saving myself from insulin taking,I swich food intake to low glicemic index meals,so no more food with table sugar,vegetable oil or carbs based meals for me.
20231122_215357.jpg

Chichpeas falafel with vegies and flax seeds,tahini,wallnuts,almonds....

kokomarin

Thamk you,Timj,I hold my my blood glucose in normal range last two months,but still eating low carbs meals only,with eating window from 1pm to 7pm.
My age is 54,PTS from war start showing face in whole generation.
Russians and ukrainas bread never use cocoa or mollases ,honey and sugar from sweet root is what they have in original.
Black bread is wide non specific name for any dark bread in east europe.
But bakers use negropan flour for colors in whole industry,so sometimes you can buy black looking white flour bread here.

Timj

It's good to hear you have things under control. Many people in our age group struggle with high blood sugar. I am 58 years old. One of my bread making mentors has developed high blood sugar and has stopped eating bread. He still makes it for his family and friends. I understand the heavy use of rye flour in the breads made in that part of the world. From what I understand rye grows very well there, wheat does not. Our rye breads have always had a more open crumb here in the USA. When I purchase traditional German rye bread from the local German market it is very dark and dense.

kokomarin

I find low carbs meals inside eating window very fast solve problem with glucose spikes.I am from adriatic sea coast area with non fertile soil,but part of ukraine is biggest grains fields in europe,they have chrnozem,black thick soil.
Salem have witch episode with rye-mold,what is pure lsd in bread.
Sourdoug rye bread with seeds is not glucose spiker,but in combo with sugars can be.
Growth hormone is key for health,specialy after 50.
With food you can raise growth hormone 400%,with fasting 20h,few times in week,2000%.
About Salem case,I learned from my cooking books.
Pure rye bread was born from poverty,germans make germans version what is often better then original .

EnjoyingLife

This one is called Pan de Cristal it is a 100% hydration bread. This means when first brought together you'd never think the dough would be more than pancake batter. It uses equal parts water and flour. It was a challange I wanted to take. It turned out to be one of the most wonderful textures of light,fluffy and crispy along with an excellent taste. It can also be made using chocolate. View attachment 18867152 View attachment 18867153

This looks like good bread.
Never heard of Pan de Cristal but I don't know anything about bread.
My step dad made some really good bread before he died.
Anyways the crust and crumb on this are perfect imo.
I also like sour dough and rye. Pumpernickel can be good and I'm sure there's loaves idk about.

Timj

This looks like good bread.
Never heard of Pan de Cristal but I don't know anything about bread.
My step dad made some really good bread before he died.
Anyways the crust and crumb on this are perfect imo.
I also like sour dough and rye. Pumpernickel can be good and I'm sure there's loaves idk about.
Thank you @EnjoyingLife. That Pan de Cristal is a 100% hydration bread. 100% hydration just means if you use 500 grams of flour, you also use 500 grams of water. It is a very loose dough.

It almost seems like it will never come together. But, it does and produces a bread that is very special in taste and texture. And you can actually see through a sliced piece.

Anyone can make great bread, it just takes a little practice. If you try and have any issues just post questions here and we can help you figure out what went wrong. Over and under proofing are common problems.

EnjoyingLife

Thank you @EnjoyingLife. That Pan de Cristal is a 100% hydration bread. 100% hydration just means if you use 500 grams of flour, you also use 500 grams of water. It is a very loose dough.

It almost seems like it will never come together. But, it does and produces a bread that is very special in taste and texture. And you can actually see through a sliced piece.

Anyone can make great bread, it just takes a little practice. If you try and have any issues just post questions here and we can help you figure out what went wrong. Over and under proofing are common problems.
I may give it a go.
My intestines don't enjoy gluten much but my taste buds do.
Typically as long as I don't gorge I'm good.
Quality matters too.
I'm not sure I'd enjoy getting rid of the inedible loaves though.
I'm hard on myself for precieved failures...
Chances are I'd over proof (prove? not sure grammatically speaking) before under proofing.
There's interest in bread making for sure, I'm just not sure it's ideal for my intestines.

Timj

I may give it a go.
My intestines don't enjoy gluten much but my taste buds do.
Typically as long as I don't gorge I'm good.
Quality matters too.
I'm not sure I'd enjoy getting rid of the inedible loaves though.
I'm hard on myself for precieved failures...
Chances are I'd over proof (prove? not sure grammatically speaking) before under proofing.
There's interest in bread making for sure, I'm just not sure it's ideal for my intestines.
I find it hard to stop eating fresh baked bread. It does take some willpower. I've tossed out some failures when I first started out and even now when I experiment with new additions and ratios. Making gluten based breads is relatively cheap when we compare it to gluten free breads. So tossing a loaf out to feed the birds doesn't hurt as much.

As for proofing bread: Gently press your finger into the dough on the top. If the dough springs back quickly, it's underproofed. If it springs back very slowly, it's properly proofed and ready to bake. Finally, if it never springs back, the dough is overproofed.

EnjoyingLife

I find it hard to stop eating fresh baked bread. It does take some willpower. I've tossed out some failures when I first started out and even now when I experiment with new additions and ratios. Making gluten based breads is relatively cheap when we compare it to gluten free breads. So tossing a loaf out to feed the birds doesn't hurt as much.

As for proofing bread: Gently press your finger into the dough on the top. If the dough springs back quickly, it's underproofed. If it springs back very slowly, it's properly proofed and ready to bake. Finally, if it never springs back, the dough is overproofed.
A willpower I find hard to muster. I have strong willpower most of the time but fresh baked bread... it's the devil.

Have you tried making gluten free bread?

I added how to check if the loaf is proofed to my notes in case I decide to give it a go. Thanks!

Timj

A willpower I find hard to muster. I have strong willpower most of the time but fresh baked bread... it's the devil.

Have you tried making gluten free bread?

I added how to check if the loaf is proofed to my notes in case I decide to give it a go. Thanks!
That's funny. Bread being the devil.
I have not tried making gluten free bread yet. It's on my "to do list".
I'll post pictures here when I make a loaf.

Timj

I went out and purchased the things I needed to make gluten free bread. This is the recipe I am using and my progress so far.

The pictures show the yeast blooming.
The psyllium husk being bloomed.
And finally, the flours,starches and salt mixed together.
This is a view of the loaf in the banneton ready for it final proff.

I will say there is little to no elasticity to this bread dough. Shaping the batard was quite different.
I'll post a picture of it after I bake it and when I cut into it.

Attachments

• 20231125_145956.jpg
    20231125_145956.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231125_150023.jpg
    20231125_150023.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 20231125_150002.jpg
    20231125_150002.jpg
    911.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20231125_152622.jpg
    20231125_152622.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

EnjoyingLife

That's funny. Bread being the devil.
I have not tried making gluten free bread yet. It's on my "to do list".
I'll post pictures here when I make a loaf.
The only gluten free bread I've made was a keto loaf for my girlfriends sister.
It was coconut flour based with eggs.
I'm missing a few ingredients there...
It wasn't great tasting, kind of odd honestly.
Texture wise it was okay.

EnjoyingLife

I went out and purchased the things I needed to make gluten free bread. This is the recipe I am using and my progress so far.

The pictures show the yeast blooming.
The psyllium husk being bloomed.
And finally, the flours,starches and salt mixed together.
This is a view of the loaf in the banneton ready for it final proff.

I will say there is little to no elasticity to this bread dough. Shaping the batard was quite different.
I'll post a picture of it after I bake it and when I cut into it.
As far as I know it's the gluten that makes the dough have elasticity so that makes sense.
Is the psyllium husk the binder?
I didn't look at the recipe yet so idk if there are eggs or other binders.

Timj

As far as I know it's the gluten that makes the dough have elasticity so that makes sense.
Is the psyllium husk the binder?
I didn't look at the recipe yet so idk if there are eggs or other binders.
Yes, from what I understand the psyllium is the glue that holds things together and also adds texture and some chew to the bread. No eggs in the recipe I'm using.

Timj

The only gluten free bread I've made was a keto loaf for my girlfriends sister.
It was coconut flour based with eggs.
I'm missing a few ingredients there...
It wasn't great tasting, kind of odd honestly.
Texture wise it was okay.
I posted the recipe because I haven't used many of the starches and flours that are used in it. Coconut flour is not in it or eggs. I'm hoping for a good looking loaf. It may not taste great. We will see later tonight or tomorrow.

Latest posts

Latest posts