What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thai vs Thai and neighbours, test comparison grow

funkyhorse

First Thai Haze cut got chopped
I will brick the lower half
Thai haze (5).jpeg
Thai haze (6).jpeg
Thai haze (7).jpeg
Thai haze (8).jpeg
Thai haze (12).jpeg
Thai haze (13).jpeg
Thai haze (14).jpeg
Thai haze (15).jpeg
Thai haze (16).jpeg

funkyhorse

Last 3 days were rainy cold with no sun and the plants complain a little
Now I am having 2 more days of very low minimum temperatures of 5C but the sun is back and maximum in the GH are around 23C
Your Thai looks really nice Funky.
🙏
This project is about reproducing the Northern Thai 2008 I got from Seedheaven
This strain has a feature that seems lost in the mopdern canna world. It has a very long cure, this means it improves with time and after a year is even better curing in tropical hot weather. Modern weed seems to start degrading very fast between 3 and 6 months from harvest depending on strain. Only the best Seedsman Hz phenos had long cure. I associate long cure with creeper high. All creeper high weed I smoked in my life was long curing

The weed I grow coming from this line is the best weed I have so far but still far from the best weed I smoked in my life. The first plant and some of her progeny of this line I grew so far were on par with the best I smoked this century

Repro is succesful, I crossed all plants with a little bit of N Thai male 1 because the progeny is not giving pure males and it was an early male starting to throw pollen 3 weeks before autumm equinox, most of the seed made is with the second male which is sexually firm and triggers flowering on 12 hours of light and the third male which has a few pistils and it is late, starts throwing pollen around a month after equinox and double thai with Ace Thai both ways have been done as well together with a few more south east asian x south east asian crosses to keep me bored in the future because commercially nothing like this is being released and if you dont make it yourself, then no chance to smoke this

N Thai plants make fat buds with amazing sticky resin, very productive, I am surprised. The new GH is making a difference, 2 more hours of sun at this time of the year than the previous GH show the results.
I have spotted a little rot, so I cut and chuck the rot and the early buds I will make brick with them. After 6 months cure they will hit big time
Very sticky and impressive resin
N Thai girl 4 (1).jpeg
N Thai girl 4 (4).jpeg
N Thai girl 4 (5).jpeg

This is the last of girl 4 progeny x N Thai variegated male.
3 sisters were intersex, one of them still alive making some seed just in case
I removed a bud with botrytis and saw the main stem attacked so I chopped the impressive top shot the progeny of N Thai male 1 produces. The top shot is condemned because of the stem rot, in a couple of days it will fall down so I rather pick it now that is still fresh and good. This is top notch brick material and the lowers I will keep as buds to compare the cures
N Thai girl 4 x n Thai (2).jpeg

I hope it smokes as it looks
N Thai girl 4 x n Thai (3).jpeg
N Thai girl 4 x n Thai (1).jpeg
N Thai girl 4 x n Thai (4).jpeg
N Thai girl 4 x n Thai (5).jpeg
N Thai girl 4 x n Thai (6).jpeg

This is for all south east asians and Zamal. Bugs attack fan leaves but they dont attack the buds or they cant reach the buds because of the thrichome resin coverage. All buds are clean from bugs
All smells of my liking as opposed to the Zamal polyhybrids. And flowering onset and progeny a lot more reliable
Laos lower bud. At this GH it is a lot more sticky than first time, impressive.
Laos lower bud.jpeg

funkyhorse

N Thai 08 girl 1 had some botrytis so I cleaned the bud and it will go into the mix early bud thai brick
N Thai girl 1 (1).jpeg
N Thai girl 1 (3).jpeg
N Thai girl 1 (4).jpeg

Same with girl 5, all of them very sticky
N Thai girl 5 (1).jpeg
N Thai girl 5 (4).jpeg
N Thai girl 5 (5).jpeg
N Thai girl 5 (6).jpeg

N Thai 08 are from cuts keep since the winter and I am trying and will smoke P1 and P2 at the same time. The P2 are from the fast male
Ace Thai has more variability. There is even a Purple Ace Thai in the mix. Northern Thai 2008 pure green, I never seen purple not even in the crosses
This is the most productive Thai from Ace at the moment, girl 5
Thai ACE 5 (3).jpeg

This is the least productive pheno, vegbox girl 2
Thai ACE vegbox 2 (2).jpeg

And this is for comparison. Above is N Thai girl 5, below left is Ace Thai vegbox 3 and below center is Ace Thai vegbox 2 beautiful pheno with little productivity at the moment
Thai ACE vegbox 2 below n Thai girl 5 above.jpeg

funkyhorse

We are getting into june and probably during this month most of the plants will get the chop, so I will try to update the whole project current state
All plants are growing in the same environment. This is not Thailand, there are different bugs and fauna here at another river basin with high humidity
All plants are very resistant to bugs. Bugs dont reach the buds, only the fan leaf. They are resistant to cutleaffer ants and all kind of predators. Buds look amazing and have great smell as I love. It seems I can grow thais well despite some a little rot in some plants. You just chuck the little bit of rot and plants keep going no problem. With indicas I lose half plant in just 24 hours
I am very happy with the results so far

N Thai girl 3
N Thai girl 3 (3).jpeg

N thai girl 5
N Thai girl 5 (9).jpeg

N thai girl 8 is the latest girl of the bunch, growing at same speed as the latest thai 11 trigger hour pheno
N Thai 8.jpeg

This is N thai girl 8 right and A daughter P2 of girl 5 left. Impressive colas some of the P2 are making
N Thai 8 right n Thai girl 5 P2 left.jpeg

These are 2 other P2. The top shot cola is daughter of girl 1 on left and the fat bud is from a daughter of girl 5
2 N Thai P2 girls.jpeg

Mong Hsat
This looks as it is going to be very long flowering
Mong Hsat (12).jpeg
Mong Hsat (14).jpeg

Northern Thai BX through CG72
I dont like the results. Wispy non productive buds compared to the N Thai buds. I will check after harvest about the high
N Thai bx (3).jpeg

funkyhorse

I will continue updating the current state of plants next days
getting into june and it is possible to see what is the path of development for the plants
There is variability in Thai Ace stock, some phenos are productive and some phenos are not and I find different flowering trigger times. This is from 2015 and by then Thailand went through hybridation which started a few years earlier. N Thai 2008 has less variability
This is Thai Ace girl 1 lower branch. This one is productive. There are a few productive ones from Ace stock. it is a P3-P5 release. There are undesirable phenos thrown in the mix. This girl 1 would be desirable pheno
Thai ACE 1 (2).jpeg

Purple Thai. This is in the genetics, not environmental. Never seen thais like this in my life in real life. Maybe contamination at the reproduction in Spain?
Purple Thai.jpeg

Purple Laos. It is very beautiful to see how it purples
This one I think is environmental and not genetics related purpling
Purple Laos (1).jpeg
Purple Laos (2).jpeg

All the rest of the project is green buds except the 2 plants posted here

funkyhorse

i am very very happy with the results of the new greenhouse despite having water condensation problems creating a kind of rainforest environment with humidity hardly going down from 70% at the driest of the day, so it is being a test for how resistant to humidity these plants are and this also means it can be improved and I could get even better results
I need to open a top window like this from the other side as well and probably double it up, peeking from the top window is Mauritius x ethiopian 1
Banderola.jpeg

Now I cannot do it at the other side because I have all this happy thai family which I will be vaping this year
N thai girls 1; 3 and 4 and on top of them Ace Thai 6 and Ace Thai 2 top shot getting smashed against the roof, how you cannot be happy
Thai family.jpeg

Continuing the update
Ace Thai 2
ACE Thai 2.jpeg

Ace Thai 6 lower bud
ACE Thai 6 lower bud.jpeg

Ace Thai vegbox 3 left and grinspoon Thai vegbox 2 right, you can see also temperature and humidity at midday
ACE Thai vegbox 2 right and sister vegbox 3 left.jpeg

Ace Thai 2 grinspoon pheno 1 left, Ace Thai vegbox 1 grinspoon pheno little more productive middle and the most productive of Ace Thai plants at the moment, number 5
ACE Thai vegbox 2 left sister vegbox 1 middle ACE Thai 5 right.jpeg

Ace Thai vegbox 1 grinspoon Thai more meaty than vegbox 2
ACE Thai vegbox 1.jpeg

Ace Thai vegbox 4 indoor pheno
ACE Thai vegbox 4.jpeg

This is N Thai 6 x Laos Mango
Superproductive making south east asian buds. Plant is over 3 meters and bent over the bamboo pole
N Thai girl 6 x Laos mango (2).jpeg
N Thai girl 6 x Laos mango (1).jpeg

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If I was out there helping you right now would be taking those flowers and then dunking them in freshwater and then hang drying them to clean them off…Things look nice there:)Appreciate what you do

funkyhorse

If I was out there helping you right now would be taking those flowers and then dunking them in freshwater and then hang drying them to clean them off…Things look nice there:)Appreciate what you do
Hi there FP
This year no need washing. I used to do the 3 bucket method and the straight hose splash
I had last years plants which needed washing and plants that dont. For results it was very consistent, the plants that dont need washing here are much better high than the ones that need washing.
So this year I am choosing genetics having landrace resistance and buds are clean from bugs, I have bugs on fan leaves but they cant reach the buds on these genetics. I find landraces from South East Asia and Zamal the best ones in this regard from whatever is available commercially today and the lab made crosses made in cabinets the worst faring against bugs and what I call landrace resistance

I certainly need help trimming, sometimes it is pressure when there are too many at once.
One thing is seeing the plant alive and looking at them or taking a pic and another thing is handling the bud and trimming it. It gives you a more complex sensorial feeling and the buds tell things.
So I am trimming and cleaning buds from different plants which are having a little rot. I just cut, chuck the rotten bud and process trimming the rest

Ace Thai 5
This is a chunky bud, not fluffy and it is sticky
ACE Thai 5 (1).jpeg
ACE Thai 5 (2).jpeg
ACE Thai 5 (3).jpeg

Ace Thai vegbox 3. This one and Ace Thai 5 above are the first to suffer from rot from the Ace Thai girls. Less sticky than sister 5 at this moment
ACE Thai vegbox 3.jpeg

Northern Thai 08 girl 5
She produces fluffy airy buds with large volume. In comparison Ace Thai 5 is smaller bud but heavier, more compact. This is very interesting for bricking. I will make a brick of this together with some buds of NT '08 girl 3. They are all fresh trimmed buds, no need for washing
N Thai girl 5 (11).jpeg
N Thai girl 5 (12).jpeg
N Thai girl 5 (13).jpeg

Now this is the progeny of NT 08 girl 5, which would be a P2
Buds are very productive, very sticky, chunky round buds is what I am getting from most of the progeny P2 done with the variegated male. I will keep them as bud not brick. Impressed on the difference with the mother
N Thai girl 5 P2 (1).jpeg
N Thai girl 5 P2 (2).jpeg
N Thai girl 5 P2 (4).jpeg

funkyhorse

This one is the top shot of the NT 08 girl 4 P2
They make these very sticky round buds, different from the foxtail buds of the moms
I was thinking on making a brick with all the thais mixed together but when I handled this top shot I got impressed at how sticky it is. All leaves are glued, so I decided to make a little brick with just this and took the main stem out. I will test it in 6 months time, very curious about this one, the bottom buds are all alive and will keep them as buds for comparison
N Thai 4 P2 top shot.jpeg

@Donald Mallard
When i grew this https://www.icmag.com/threads/laos.17795303/ I didnt have the crazy stickiness I am having now. This together with Northern Thailand 08 impress me a lot because this grow is much much much better than the first time 2 years ago even with some little rot which hopefully can be solved for the future
You did brick and bud with Laos. What did you like better? What had better high of both?
Man, these little buds makes charas so easy. I am not sure what to do, if keep them as bud or brick some. Buds dont need any washing
Laos (4).jpeg
Laos (5).jpeg
Laos (6).jpeg

This is another N Thai P2 from girl 1
This goes straight to the Thai mix brick, this one is more on the fluffy side
N Thai girl 1 P2 (1).jpeg
N Thai girl 1 P2 (2).jpeg

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
hey funky ,
i did a bit of a cob with some laos ,
but it wasnt really compressed like a brick ,
just squeezed a little shrink wrapping it ,
to be honest by the time i got into it , the rest of the stuff i harvested was gone ,
i dont really remember the difference ,, though im sure the cured stuff , cob , was better than the uncured ,
i think thats where the difference comes , not in the compressing ...

funkyhorse

Northern Thai BX: (Northern Thai 6 x CG72) x N Thai variegated male got chopped
Looks like inbreeding depression problems, low productivity grinspoon phenos not particularly very sticky
I am finding the same problems in all the backcrosses I tried so far
I will make this one brick and maybe keep the top shot for bud
N Thai bx (1).jpeg
N Thai bx (4).jpeg
N Thai bx (5).jpeg
N Thai bx (6).jpeg

funkyhorse

This is N Thai girl 5 cut grown at the bottom terrace GH
The difference with the new GH is huge, it seems like grown at two different countries
At the bottom GH it is foxtail without meat, at the main GH plants are meaty and a lot more sticky
N Thai 5 bottom GH top shot
N Thai girl 5 bottom greenhouse top shot.jpeg

And the rest, I wonder if there will be any difference in the high between this one and the other cuts grown at the top GH
N Thai girl 5 bottom greenhouse (3).jpeg
N Thai girl 5 bottom greenhouse (1).jpeg
N Thai girl 5 bottom greenhouse (4).jpeg
N Thai girl 5 bottom greenhouse (5).jpeg

This is N Thai 4 P2. The only girl, the others went intersex from the progeny of girl 4
It had mildew and mold problems, I hope the progeny done with the other males on girl 4 is better
N Thai girl 4 P2 (1).jpeg
N Thai girl 4 P2 (2).jpeg

N Thai girl 3 is similar flowering to girl 5, at the top GH she makes volume and very sticky
I believe this N Thai 2008 line has a lot of breeding in it, whoever did it clearly knew what he was doing
It is impressive how handling a small bud leaves you black sticky fingers
N Thai girl 3 (6).jpeg
N Thai girl 3 (7).jpeg

TheDarkStorm

i am very very happy with the results of the new greenhouse despite having water condensation problems creating a kind of rainforest environment with humidity hardly going down from 70% at the driest of the day, so it is being a test for how resistant to humidity these plants are and this also means it can be improved and I could get even better results
I need to open a top window like this from the other side as well and probably double it up, peeking from the top window is Mauritius x ethiopian 1
View attachment 18849097
Now I cannot do it at the other side because I have all this happy thai family which I will be vaping this year
N thai girls 1; 3 and 4 and on top of them Ace Thai 6 and Ace Thai 2 top shot getting smashed against the roof, how you cannot be happy
View attachment 18849098
Continuing the update
Ace Thai 2
View attachment 18849101
Ace Thai 6 lower bud
View attachment 18849103
Ace Thai vegbox 3 left and grinspoon Thai vegbox 2 right, you can see also temperature and humidity at midday
View attachment 18849105
Ace Thai 2 grinspoon pheno 1 left, Ace Thai vegbox 1 grinspoon pheno little more productive middle and the most productive of Ace Thai plants at the moment, number 5
View attachment 18849104
Ace Thai vegbox 1 grinspoon Thai more meaty than vegbox 2
View attachment 18849106
Ace Thai vegbox 4 indoor pheno
View attachment 18849107
This is N Thai 6 x Laos Mango
Superproductive making south east asian buds. Plant is over 3 meters and bent over the bamboo pole
View attachment 18849109 View attachment 18849108
Looking good, that gh seems to work well..much better...can see the difference...looks like much stronger light getting through....hope you enjoy...

funkyhorse

Hi there TDS
The light is the same crazy southern hemisphere strong sun, the difference between the greenhouses is the temperature
At the lower terrace the sorrounding vegetation which was protecting it has been chopped and now it is at least 5C up to 12C lower than the upper terrace, the difference is big

The upper greenhouse is sorrounded by natural vegetation, it is protected from winds and is warmer.
Invernadero superior y anacahuita.jpeg
Invernadero superior.jpeg

It is also more humid and for some plants specially modern hybrids it is problematic, sativa landraces have better results under these conditions, the problem is sourcing them.
They seem to be lost, canna business dont care for them and the commercial releases are about names and hype with indoor bred "sativa landrace" with totally degraded or washed down high, quality in the commercial releases is lost.
For me quality is only creeper high weed. If not creeper high for me it is commercial quality and not worth my time. I simply cant believe creeper high weed is not the norm for quality and is lost

Northern Thai girl 3
A few branches from one cut is giving me same amount of weed as I had from the first N Thai girl from 2 years ago. I hope this season I will harvest enough until next harvest if this is as good as it was her sister
N Thai girl 3 (10).jpeg
N Thai girl 3 (11).jpeg
N Thai girl 3 (13).jpeg
N Thai girl 3 (14).jpeg

Tomorrow I will chop the top half of this Laos girl and let the bottom half to finnish the seed it is making
Sister N Thai girl 6 x Laos Mango will get the machete soon as well
Laos this season is very sticky
Laos (7).jpeg
Laos (8).jpeg
Laos (9).jpeg
Laos (10).jpeg

funkyhorse

@revegeta666
We all have different perceptions/reactions and we look at reality through a prism sitting behind our screens
This thread is a diary of my current grow and it is intended for looking at it in the future in case any of these plants are worth it, I have no clue at the moment but they look very good
The thread is a very helpful tool for me and it is not intended to make anyone sad
I am curious what is exactly making you sad from last post?

Laos top shot
Laos top shot (1).jpeg
Laos top shot (2).jpeg

Very sticky plant, the person who helped me trim said it has lemony smells, similar to the smells of Northern Thai 2008, so tasty she wanted to eat it. A lot more productive than first time at the lower gh, really meaty buds
Laos (13).jpeg
Laos (11).jpeg
Laos (12).jpeg
Laos (14).jpeg

funkyhorse

Ace Thai vegbox 2
The ones in the vegboxes were the latest of Ace Thai to sex
This one is the first of them to finnish
Clear inbreeding depression, very undesirable grinspoon pheno
I am not sure I will get 10 grams on a 3 meter tall plant grown for 6 months
I am not searching in the seed done with this and I will brick the whole plant because it is only sugar leaves with a bract or two
Ace Thai vegbox 1 right and vegbox 2 on the left. Both are grinspoon phenos and I have seen males like this too. Peeking from left is top shot of N Thai 2008 girl 3
ACE Thai vegbox 1 right and 2 left.jpeg

Ace Thai vegbox 2 Top shot
ACE Thai vegbox 2 top shot (1).jpeg
ACE Thai vegbox 2 top shot (2).jpeg

The rest, very beautiful, non productive and non sticky
Only bone, no meat
ACE Thai vegbox 2 top shot (2).jpeg
ACE Thai vegbox 2 (2).jpeg
ACE Thai vegbox 2 (3).jpeg
ACE Thai vegbox 2 (4).jpeg
ACE Thai vegbox 2 (5).jpeg
ACE Thai vegbox 2 (6).jpeg
ACE Thai vegbox 2 (7).jpeg
ACE Thai vegbox 2 (8).jpeg

funkyhorse

It is unfare to the girl above because I chopped just before her the most impressive plant I grew so far, just 1 meter away from her on the same environment enjoying the same weather and the same bugs
Northen Thai 08 girl 6 x Laos Mango
Over 3,5 meter tall plant
Top plant was chopped and the lowers are back in the greenhouse to continue to make seed. It was backcrossed to 3 different northern thai males hoping not to see inbreeding depression. Plant is living on a 20 liter pot
N Thai 6 x Laos mango (5).jpeg

N Thai 08 x Laos Mango, man I am impressed
I hope it smokes as it feels in my hands when trimming
N Thai 6 x Laos mango (1).jpeg
N Thai 6 x Laos mango (2).jpeg
N Thai 6 x Laos mango (3).jpeg
N Thai 6 x Laos mango (4).jpeg
N Thai 6 x Laos mango (5).jpeg
N Thai 6 x Laos mango (6).jpeg
N Thai 6 x Laos mango (7).jpeg
N Thai 6 x Laos mango (8).jpeg
N Thai 6 x Laos mango (9).jpeg