What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Swazi Rooibaard (landrace sativa) in coco under MH FC-E6500 led

hazepadano

Padre Sereno
Ciao esplosivo!
stiamo facendo una cosa molto similitudine. Anche io ho piantine sotto pochi watt led che porterò a vegetare sotto FCE 3000 in 100*100 però poi vado con FC 4800 in 120*120.
io però credo sceglierò un sog oppure mi divertiro a seguire una strada come la tua ma con sta crisi energetica....

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
@hazepadano Ciao! I am working on getting the most out of every watt, so we might be close in wattage if you go 100% on the fc4800. I plan to only go as much as I can cool by ventilation, and with summer coming right up I don't think I will get to 100% this run. I prefer better VPD to be able to use the light they get!
Good luck with your grow! :wave:

bibi40

@hazepadano Ciao! I am working on getting the most out of every watt, so we might be close in wattage if you go 100% on the fc4800. I plan to only go as much as I can cool by ventilation, and with summer coming right up I don't think I will get to 100% this run. I prefer better VPD to be able to use the light they get!
Good luck with your grow! :wave:
100% is the way to go mate ;)

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Thank you, bro!
Today they were touching the leds! I raised them a bit and took some pics!
noexif_35ndi8s.jpg
noexif_85gyj3g7.jpg

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
For any newcomers to the thread I will remind you they are still in a 100 x 100 tent under a fc3000 dimmed to 25%. This will soon be moved under the new fce6500 in a bigger tent.
22.5C 65%RH 9.5mbarVPD, no humidifier installed, still waiting on the ladies to grow a bit and make their own humidity!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Where original swazis come from it gets hot..They dont mind heat at all IME..30 degrees is nothing for them..It also rains a LOT round flower time so they have very good mold resistance.
Yeah man, I know, but as I said I am after efficiency, and since summer is just starting I gotta leave some headroom for when I am gonna use both more wattage and also it will be hotter outside too, in flower.
As about RH, I wasn't fearing high RH, I was just saying I didn't installed a humidifier to raise the RH. I have grow swazi before and I know they are pretty solid and hard to fuck up.
Thank you for the visit, feel free to take a seat and enjoy the show.
As always, I am open to any opinion or advice. More pics next week!

The just gave a sign they want a bit more food, so next tank of nutes will be mixed at around 1.4 EC, and since mg def is showing a bit, I will bump the Mg in the mix a bit, and also give them some foliars the following days.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Swazi is not fussed for nutes, but at same time you can run at full strength hydro, I did that once or twice long time ago..its extremely resilient..it is used to being bent, pulled down, split etc..as where they normally used to grow theyd get huge and growers just be trying to manage them...they'd grow in mountain dirt, and be happy in a bubbler bucket, or a nice rich organic raised bed..the quality would just show..but the plant be happy either which way and survive..swazi was a tough mofo..pests no problemo, mold was not a concern, branches breaking was not a concern..id tie plants branches down with twine to coke bottles filled with water on the ground as a weight and they end up lifting up the coke bottles, old swazi...they will stretch like mofos either which way as well..swazi will grow inches per day if its happy even well into flower...in its natural environment they'd make huge stems, thick like fat forearms at the ground...swazi was a monster..and big fat sticky buds with better calyx to leaf ratio and more resin than other comparable southern african sativas of the era, and it'd make something between a 6m wide 6 m tall bush to a 6-7m tall christmas tree of arm sized buds depending on how it was pruned/topped..it was one of those original plants where guys would be driving nails into the base in the thinking of stressing the plant, or bending the top over and putting a rock on top so it would root again and make a 3m tall hedge of weed..that was all done back in the day with people trying to manage the beast LOL

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Thank you, sir! If I wasn't concerned too much about stretch, now I am. It's first time I see a well fed swazi, till now I was in soil and organic, not pushing them in any way. I am good at bondage tho so I will tie them down as best as I can! :joint:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I started training and pruning them a bit to prepare a good frame and full pot surface coverage before we move to the bigger tent and light.
I used to have leaves this size only from outdoors:
noexif_38fk4o.jpg

As I told you guys before, I think I never seen a well fed swazi before, they seem to grow into monsters. And light is just at 30% :D.
Wearealready at 1.4 EC input (they demanded it), and they might still want more (runoff 0.07ms lower than input). But I will stay like this for awhile to judge better if they need more or no.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Thank yo, man!Baby days? It was the fking basil feed. Truth is I changed the basil food to veg recipe for the basil as well, actually same feed as the swazis since the basil likes 1.4 EC as well, and in the last 2 days it gone fully green, more tasty, and the leaves doubled size. The basil feed recipe was taken from a science journal testing best ratios for basil. It was the winner recipe, actually. And my basil doesn't like it! Go figure!

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Classic! :ROFLMAO:
Yeah man you tied them up proper and...they've taken off! Probably wants it stronger...what year were those seeds from? Leaves looking very swazi'esque, long and large and wider blades than other subtropical africans...I'm hoping for the best..We never knew what a good sativa we had in the swazi, till the DEA had sprayed it away, the cunts..

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I made the seeds 2013 or 2014. And yes, I think it might want at least 1.5 EC by the time I mix next batch of nutes. But I want to stay low and let them ask for more. I am sure they will be monsters anyway! They already smell like mature plants, so by the time i will have them covering the whole pots surface, and ready to be moved under new light, they will probably be ready for flower too.
I have no doubts its the real deal, as I grew it before from same line, even the sap is bloody coloured when it dries up on a wound or a pruned stem.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
The original good big monster swazi as far as I know is lost out in the hills in Swaziland, it was largely sprayed out in the 2000's and replaced with hybrids to re hybridize with what was left which was a shadow of the former genetic...So dont cull any and reproduce the line bro and share it..

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Brother, I am happy to see others that seem to know how nice is this, I have been growing it on and off for maybe close to 15 years, that time in 2013-2014 when i made seeds was second seed run of swazi I did. This story started for me when a brother offered some seeds he kept for a while at room temp. Can't remember for how many years but it was a lot of them.
I then had been lucky to get 40% germ rate on those ~~30 unproperly stored seeds that I started with.(Thank you, Buddy!) I knew I had to preserve the moment I started growing it. Everything is special about this variety, starting from the smell in veg!!!
Anyway, update will come in a few days. They almost filled the space above pots, one more tieing session and a bit more veg and we can start thinking about flower!

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Just to show even when all seems to go well you can have problems, timer relay failed, it was in on mode with light off. Plants been without light for almost 10 hours morethan they should and somehow that already made them show some mild deffs or yellowings on leaves. They will probably get back on track in a day or 2 but man I hate when things like that happen. I will try to find a better timer or maybe just program one into my controller and be done with it. For now I have a newer replacement, but more or less same timer as before.
Watering is still once a day, 6 liters of PH6, ec1.4 each day, about a 15% runoff out of that.