What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Swazi Rooibaard (landrace sativa) in coco under MH FC-E6500 led

stiff

Veteran
I also got sick of this happening to me and invested in a better one. Not sure if you can find those nearby,but they work a treat

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Been a bit busy with real life and also puffing some bubblehash I made from last grow trim and popcorn. But we got the start of a nice canopy going.
Thank you for the timer sugestion, but those aren't available around here. I will look for a brand one, tho. Even the branded ones I had and seen around were same chinese crap with a sticker on it..
noexif_3883je4.jpg

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I am hoping to have them setup in their new tent under the FCE6500 sometimes next week. And probably switch them soon after.
Plans were for a controlled pollination like to take the males early as to only have the early pistils pollinated. But with as dense as the jungle is, I think I'll just leave nature take it's course? :muahaha:
I could try to kill every male a few days after they drop pollen, but I am not sure I can change much of the outcome. Any better sugestions?
Anyway, I know I will have a problem with this small jungle on my hands anyway, but I am ready to try my best at taming them so they fit the 150x150 tent they'll be moved in. Hopefully! Stayon for the show! :joint:

goingrey

Plans were for a controlled pollination like to take the males early as to only have the early pistils pollinated. But with as dense as the jungle is, I think I'll just leave nature take it's course? :muahaha:
I could try to kill every male a few days after they drop pollen, but I am not sure I can change much of the outcome. Any better sugestions?

Wait for the males to be almost ready to release some pollen. Then move them somewhere else. At that point they don't need much anymore, a 20W CFL in the bathroom is fine (note: odor control requirements can be as big as ever).

Collect pollen into some container over a couple of days. Then let the girls develop some buds - just make sure you pollinate at least 6 weeks before the planned harvest.

When it's time, turn off the fans in your tent (including the extractor fan). Use a small paintbrush to brush some pollen on the pistils on a couple of lower branches. Wait a couple of hours so that there's time for fertilization to happen. Then spray/mist everything down with water to sterilize any remaining pollen, and turn the fans back on.

It's a good idea to mark the pollinated branches with something so they don't end up in the wrong jar at harvest time. Also you can repeat the pollination process a few days later if you think something went wrong. If the pollinated pistils don't turn brown something definitely went wrong.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Heya man! Great tech, but my males and females will be mixed, as they are more plants in same pot.. I know I can do same thing but with male branches in a jar of water, but I am thinking, maybe just let them drop pollen, then after some time spray them with water to kill the remaining polen and take out the males? since this is a longer flowering sativa that grows buds and foxtails till the end, I think that way I could get the base of the buds pollinated, but not the top part of them. What do you guys think?

Also forgot to mention, input EC has gone to 1.5, same PH6 as before, and also light up to 50% power since 1 week ago.

highfidelity

Heya man! Great tech, but my males and females will be mixed, as they are more plants in same pot.. I know I can do same thing but with male branches in a jar of water, but I am thinking, maybe just let them drop pollen, then after some time spray them with water to kill the remaining polen and take out the males? since this is a longer flowering sativa that grows buds and foxtails till the end, I think that way I could get the base of the buds pollinated, but not the top part of them. What do you guys think?

Also forgot to mention, input EC has gone to 1.5, same PH6 as before, and also light up to 50% power since 1 week ago.
That's my plan with the Rasol I'm growing out. Let the males do their thing for a while then take them out and let the buds develop. Should leave plenty of seeds without compromising the main buds

goingrey

You'll get a lot of lightly seeded buds then I guess? Of course not a problem if you don't have an issue with that...

Many plants in the same pot is also not a problem. You can just dig out the males and re-pot. And by re-pot I mean stuff the roots and soil that is stuck to them in some small container. Won't be a super happy male but will give plenty of pollen still. Sure it will cause a little bit of stress to the girls and their soil microbiome but totally doable (edit: oh yeah this was coco, even better).

A third option is, seeing as it's an endangered heirloom and all, keep the males in there and do a full-on seed run.

Last edited:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Swazi would come normally lightly seeded anyway..they'd take care to remove males more than other african growers, but there'd always be pollen on wind and missed and early males...you would normally get a bunch of seed out a "bank bag" of good swazi, you'd pay a few dollar for it, it be like 10-20 g worth..maybe like ten big heads squashed into a ziplock still with the banks logo on as one couldnt buy ziplocks then..but other inferior africans you'd sieve the weed and half be seeds..the days before the dutch weed hit us..LOL and after too as one did not always have homegrown and high grade be pricey and id not always be harvesting so I'd still smoke a bankie a week for years and years..how many thousands of thousands of big black seeds from amazing sativa weed did we throw away...facepalm! And then the dutch genetics was already making its way to the fields, it had already in late 80's and probably here and there between then and then..but old swazi was old swazi most was the landrace, unmistakable..then the DEA with our army went on a major spraying program in swaziland, our neighbor that had been going on for years but in early 2000's escalated..and by late 2000's most of the good old swazi areas had been sprayed out and most of that good genetics lost..the guys running the big export came to me in late 2000's begging for seed after a mate had given them seed of stuff I'd made before that..they came down and hung out and I met them all and they explained the situation and why the quality had gone downhill last few years, the spraying, the struggle to find decent swazi seed across the land to grow out...I gave them lots of seed a supermarket bags worth and theres pockets here and there in the kingdom of old swazi left, but was that the old swazi of the day?? Who knows probably not...im still not too bleak about giving them the seed, to see arjan and co going through the fields a year later or just more going fuck its cup winning shit man..made me chuffed..but ja stuff was defineatly way more hybridised after that, looking at bud at market..but old good swazi was lost already..if the swazis could not find it to grow out before they came to me which was long before greenhouse was there..that old swazi which was my first hydroponics crop..i think lost except in old seed stashes...and similar genetics still in tanzania and mozambique though they not going to be the same. That old swazi was a proper monster..

I did what I could, I sent my old seed to sam and IHA or whatever they were called so at least the genetics could be saved for reference if they were not viable, I did that for all the old african stuff I had from pre hybridisation..so I hold thumbs you going to find what i remember in these, and make those seeds available to those that want to grow and breed with it and also preserve it..guys like ace..they need a good swazi in their life..he's gaga over malawi..malawi is good..so is congo, so is swazi..those in old days were the african heavy weight knockouts...though also one or 2 special coastal transkeis existed, knock out ones, most there lacking any punch, but one guava standout pink hairs and seriously time distorting lack of memory inducing strong stuff that would cure a maroon colour..thats long ago lost..15 years ago more? Simon from strainhunter done lots of work in last few years to try and preserve those untouched landraces in the hills along the southern african coast...still doing lots..in the trenches blood sweat and tears! Working with lawyers and government too to work it all in somehow to a legal framework and still preserve the genetics and traditions ...look at his instagram i think he posted the videos there, amazing footage of the deep hills and transkei valleys where the untouched african landraces roam..

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran

Check his page out...not Swaziland, but the Amapondo region of SA, the Transkei region of the eastern cape of south africa..the other great african ganja producing region...Pure african sativas in their native environment..I spent many trips as all us old dopeheads here, in the past, did, making runs up to paradise aka transkei and picking up kilos and bringing back to the city to pay for the trip, have some smoke and have some rent on the side...One of God's own special places on earth..special magic in the land there..its in the air there , in the water, in the ground, in the people...special special place..shrooms grow wild years round, ganja in every valley..some of the best fishing in Africa...lots of hungry sharks but the waves there some of the best waves of my life I surfed there, endless sand bottomed points sweeping into bays and eventually a kilometer later wrapping 180 degrees on itself and you surfing inside the river mouth back to where you came from squeezing the last bit from the wave..That place has a special warmness you feel nowhere else, its little bear pudding country, not too hot not too cold, not too dry not too wet, just right...year round..

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Hello guys! I have kinda slacked on the updates and stuff, I am now preparing to put them under new light! It's been almost a week since I switched to 12/12, and I think I was kinda late and might have some problems keeping them tamed under the light later in flower.
Just took a break from inatalling the tent and light, so this pic of all the pieces that came in the light box, ready to be assembled is all I have now.
Pictures of plants will come later or tommorow morning, as they are sleeping now.
Thank you as well for the knowledge on Swazi shared here, I love it! See you guys soon with more pics and details.
noexif_37jdbe3.jpg