What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Swazi Rooibaard (landrace sativa) in coco under MH FC-E6500 led

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Light is hung and waiting for the plants once lights go on in their small tent!
noexif_hs738k.jpg
All going good, I guess! See you guys around! :wave:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
The FCE6500 light draws 56W on MIN setting and 660W on MAX setting. It heats up a bit over 50% power, but nothing unmanageable. I am on 230V mains.
It is very bright, you can barely look in it's direction when its on. Even with sunglasses you can feel it's power. I will let the plant adjust to it for a few days then come with more details and updates!
The 2 biggest plants seem to be female so I am very happy about this so far. Thank you for following along. See you soon! :wave:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Hello @bugman52 There is some sour notes in there, "cheese" funky component missing but the grapefruit component is midway between sweet as candy, and sour but grapefruit, not lemony undertone.
When smoked that sweet/sour grapefruit gets fainter and is covered by fine tabacco type smoke, very smooth and tasteful but in deeper notes, and no sweeetness, with just a bit of grapefruit undertone.
A smoke report will come soon, as I feel the curing pretty much did it's job already.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Noo, it is scary already! They weren't even stretching and they gone from not a problem to tent filled in like 2 weeks in the old 100×100 tent. (While vegging)
Hopefully I find a way to tame them a bit. But don't think I am not worrying about this! Any pointers on how to deal with this would rock! I need any help I can get! :wave:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
LOL Swazis...Stoked..thats what you'd expect a swazi to do! Swazis dont stress for bending and making them in the shape you want, they just keep on going..

Tangwena

Veteran
Noo, it is scary already! They weren't even stretching and they gone from not a problem to tent filled in like 2 weeks in the old 100×100 tent. (While vegging)
Hopefully I find a way to tame them a bit. But don't think I am not worrying about this! Any pointers on how to deal with this would rock! I need any help I can get! :wave:
If they were mine I would radically drop the lights "on" time to about 8 or 9 hours its what I do with mine 11/13 from germination and getting less weekly hurries them up.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
LOL Swazis...Stoked..thats what you'd expect a swazi to do! Swazis dont stress for bending and making them in the shape you want, they just keep on going..
Sounds like great insight . for sure I am gonna use that info. I mean I will have to, anyway, since they so AMAZING!

If they were mine I would radically drop the lights "on" time to about 8 or 9 hours its what I do with mine 11/13 from germination and getting less weekly hurries them up.
Not sure I want to do that in a run for seeds. I may lower it to 11H on later in flower, but I want to let them do their thing for now. Hopefully they don't fill the tent too fast. It's quite spacious now without the amazing swazis taking over! Thank you for the trick, tho, I promise to use it when I will have some sativas grown for bud.

that sounds amazing! :woohoo:
for sure! super amazing! and a quite some work to come with keeping them tamed so they fit under the light till the end! let's see if i can do it! :joint:

Peace and puffs for all, thank you for watching my thread and taking the time to reply.

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
Root restriction is the best way to control long flowering NLD's. Too late for that now though, I do as Tangwena suggested and lower on time.
The main thing with NLD's is every time you grow them you learn a little more if you pay attention, so don't get disheartened and give up. It can be a long haul but worth it in the end , if for nothing else just for the humbling education you get every time.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
The swazis also tended to not be too long to flower, by landrace sativa standards, must be due to it coming from the sub tropics? They used to go between 10-12 weeks If I remember right..some late flower phenos and some early would pop up in a population..They used to pull the males in swaziland unlike the other growing areas, so the males that would pollinate the crops, would be early missed ones generally, or late plants missed in the field..So I'd always find a variation of flowering times even in the uniform landrace plants you'd grow out from them..Back in the day the only decent weed we had to grow was swazi, dutch weed was something you read about in High Times and from the local stuff the only widely available bud with a real zing or knockout to it was the durban poisons or the swazi, and you'd grow either..The DP's would make much smaller plants of a very similar form, christmas tree sativa vibes with a more uniform early flower very similar to the early swazi pheno actually, the DP would make smaller spear like buds and nugs, and the swazi would make monster colas and grenades..durban would want to get 2m tall into a christmas tree, the swazi would want to be topped and end up 3-4 meters tall and 4-5 meters wide..And we didnt know what a trellis was..we never had to tie our bushes up, if anything we had to tie them down so the neighbors or people walking past on the street wouldnt see them poking over the wall..

I remember my first hydroponics plant was a swazi, in the bay window of my flat I was renting, overlooking the sea.. I might have pics up in my gallery still? The PC or camera with pics long ago stolen, this is Africa! I was taught hydro by a guy who moved here and started our countries first hydroshop, and he used to for Gypsy in late 90's, I was dating the sister to the guy's wife..Lucky me right place right time..He gave me a bubbler bucket and was like right this is how you do hydro, one spoon of these salts per 5L off you go..I taped a bunch of corrugated cardboard boxes together to make a big box with no bottom and everynight at 7 the box would go over the swazi and every morning the box would come off..There was no such thing as a budrot or PM with those genetics..So by sheer coincidence, Gypsy was on holiday here in that summer, and I was fortunate enough to have him and his bro or two from UK smoke and critique my first hydro crop ever, a good old swazi monster..That was bent and shaped and tied into submission, so I could fit a 6 foot tall box over it every evening, and so everyone else in the block could not see it over my balcony wall from the parking lot below...That plant I can still taste to this day if I think about it..Terps were very refined and I got the same or similar terps when I grew swazi again later on..It was an orange or citrus, mandarin like, cognac or liquer flavour, with a little anise in background..Very similar to old sensi super skunk I've grown out back in the day..

I wonder if one looks in the DNA of old swazi, what one will find? There was always rumours of old indica genetics in it and durban, due to the huge Indian expat population that came over to durban in 1800's and 1900's and as well of skunks introduced by bulldog coffee shop guys and others in 80's..but we used to get swazi from all over that kingdom that was all similar or the same, so it would have to have been well bred in and naturaized.That said swazi always had different characteristics to other african sativas around..It was a queen, the royals would endorse the yearly crop and the best was always exported as the royal swazi, but it was a royal ganja 100% Was speaking to someone last night and they were still getting swazi round 2007 odd, long buds filling a bankbag..maybe one day someone will discover a pocket of untouched true swazi left untouched grown by some old folk in the hills , but till then thank god people still have some seeds stashed!

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Heya man, thank you again for the nice info on swazi. Just so you know, other than the fact I can't grow it outdoor here in europe (so no ideea about how it grows, but for sure I expect it to do what you are saying), all that you said till now in your posts describes my swazi. Since I got the first seeds, this always finished in 12 to 13.5 weeks, grown under cfl, hps and leds till now in regular 12/12 schedule, also 2 main phenos, and nothing much on the side. and always the same, even after making "F1" seeds and so on. I would say it's the real deal, based on what I seen till now, and also the info you are sharing! Much respect for sharing this, brother!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Just seen your edit to add more to the story! Super sweet, man! Really I feel like history is laid in front of me. And it's history related to the sativa I loved for some years now, how cool is that!?
Thank you very much, feel free to share anything you want about this lovely variety! Hopefully later in flower you will be able to see if it looks like the real deal!
Btw, my swazi bleeds red when topped, and the sap is more rubbery/waxy than other varieties, do you have any memories of something similar? I am pretty sure I didn't have other genetics do that till now!