What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Swazi Rooibaard (landrace sativa) in coco under MH FC-E6500 led

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Ok, I need to plan a training session soon with a nice tie on them unruly girls. This morning 6 tops were touching the leds and 3 tops were past the led light, between the bars! If I had to guess they stretched/grown about 70 cm in a bit over 3 full days and nights. And I got a few good weeks of stretch coming from now on.
Who wants to switch places with me? I want a vacation! :muahaha:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Short text update but pics will come tommorow or the day after. So I been battling fungus gnats a bit, seems to be solved for now on that problem, yet I managed to leave the light at almost 100% (instead of the usual 35-40%) for one day at 20 cm away or closer from the tops so now all the tops seem burned from overfert (bad vpd + too much light). Stoner mistake! :D
I gave them a lower EC feed and waiting for them to recover. Buds starting to form on tops, males are probably hidden in the undergrowth for now, all tops seem to be female. See you guys soon for pics and more details.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
@highfidelity
I seen your grow, you let them strech a bit more than me! But I guess you also give them more light than me, so maybe is ok to let them stretch more. Careful not to bite back later, tho!
Can't wait to see how this goes on, just start of flower and the plants look like there will be more bud than leaves and stem.
Thank you for the visit, bro! See you around!

Later.edit:
Forgot to say the tieing session really transformed into me super-cropping and dropping all tops at 90 degrees on the canopy. So plants might be a bit stressed from that lazy move as well, but really there is no other way to keep this compact. I would need to be in there tieing daily! Hopefully a few pinches on the tops and some healed wounds is nothing for the girls. I would belive so, since they already have pinkie size budlets on tops!

Last edited:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
You can bend a swazi over, almost snapping stems or snapping them actually, in full flower, and stick a trellis over it and it will start making little buds through the trellis, then the branches will heal and start lifting themselves back up and in time lift the whole net and frame up..LOL swazis..I not seen that vigor in so long...but when I say we used to abuse the plants, bend them, break them etc...we used no finesse, in those days there were rumours like if you drove a nail through the main stem it would be stronger weed etc..swazi was the receiver of all that abuse..I saw also back in the day a guy would let it grow tall christmas tree, then bend it over almost horizontal, half a meter from the tip he'd drop a brick or two to hold it down on top, then let it grow, and repeat till the plant triggered to flower at end of summer and make a long hedgelike wall of swazi that would be meters long..maybe three or four points with a brick stuck on the main stem which was growing almost along the ground and rooted again under each brick, and each branch a plant in its own right 2-3 meters tall in a 2-3 meters wide, 2-3 meters tall, maybe 5 or more meters long wall of weed.

We just though thats why weed was called weed, cause it grew like a weed..We only had seed to grow that came form the weed you bought and occasionally you'd be lucky to get some nice swazi as most time it be half sticks and seed crap we'd buy in "stoppe" which were large finger sized packages of weed wrapped in square pieces rolled up in a particular way not dissimilar to a wrap of coke, but in a big round cigar like finger of uncleaned weed sticks and all. Stoppe or slopes, I am sure somewhere in the country you can still buy them like that, the same half sticks and seed " "majut" as it was called which was just a slang for normal crap cheap weed. We'd buy half envelopes of that weed, cost us like R2 which in these days is like 15 us cents or something...like literally a envelope cut in half and shoved full as much weed as can fit, and then folded over at the end and stapled closed or taped shut with sellotape...If you went to durban, you'd get "poisons" sitting for sale side next to the stoppe of majut, but they'd be twice the price, and much smaller, pinkie sized stop..and maybe wrapped in magazine paper square roll to show it was more premium LOL...but you'd get both in both papers, or telephone directory paper was another favourite packaging..or a bankie which was a literal ziplock bank bag, still with the banks logo on..you'd also get bankies of durban poison, but in durban, it would always just be in the same packaging as the rest a wrap of free paper, but 4x the price of cheap stuff..but still dirt cheap..for $2-3 you'd get a six pack of beer and maybe 4-5 poisons which be enough for 8-10 joints and you'd be set for the night..LOL when diet pills still got you on and ekkies were mitsubishi's and white doves the world over...late 90's..

Durban and swazi were similar genetic background, but swazi the monster, durban the early flowerer more petit plant with spear like colas, swazi making the huge dense buds, both were dense and resinous, dense by sativa standards...both zinged you..durban maybe stronger but swazi more stony durban more trippy maybe..but both were couchlock stoned on your ass sativas, mindfuck and racing thoughts or weed induced stupor could go either way, when we could just get majut for a while and then get some good swazi or durban we'd trip out...when i was stuck in transkei for 2 months with car issues, stuck in paradise is rad so no rush...but weed was weak and not harvest time and weed was so weak we were reverting to putting shrooms in bottleneck pipes, which was an old school south african thing the pipes, the shrooms were wild and plentiful, so we'd try smoke em to get high cuz the weed wasnt...didnt work LOL..but on way back to civilisation when stuck again enroute but in a bigger town and a connection got us some good swazi, i could have kissed the dealer! When I lit that joint and the vibe washed over me, and I was stoned to the bone, high as fuck and just sat on the porch of where we were staying and stared into space and enjoying every second of being off my face after smoking a joint when i hadnt had that in 2 months of smoking the local weed..and I just stared into space and smoked another and then got back to my lodgings and passed out and woke up later and ate half the kitchen and drank half the bar and smoked another and passed out and woke up the next day with a spring in my step and the world had a glow, especially after another joint..and the coffee just zinged and the world was at peace and in order LOL...I need my THC LOL..swazi was our staple for a long time..

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I simulated a tropical rain for them with the atomiser and a NPK+micro foliar feed at 0.8 mS, PH 6.5. I also lowered the feed input EC from the 1.6 I got to, to 1.4 EC now. The day where they say in heat and too much light by mistake kinda made them get some K burns, but buds continue to grow and plants still stretch so I am not worried too much about it. They should bounce back from it!
I kinda forgot to take pictures, as well, but you'll see them tommorow! I promise! I am close to filling the tent surface with tops, in some weeks I will need to find a way to sustain the weight of some of those tops!

As about the stories shared here, to me they are pure gold @maryjaneismyfre ! Much respect and thank you for taking the time to share the history! I promise to keep this alive and share it along with them stories! And certainly hope you'll recognize the spirit of the real swazi in my plants! Peace! :wave:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Here they are, not proud on how I burned them, but keep in mind I was feeding EC 1.5 and the runoff got to EC2 just, but this is already way too much for them! Problem started after I gone from one watering a day to 2 waterings a day. And ofc this confirmes again that landraces need sensible treatment when it comes to nutes. The back half looks a bit better for some reason..
In my opinion this was K overfert, but if any of you has anything to say about it I am listening. They started grow/stretch again and buds are growing, so I guess the burn has passed. The input EC is now 1.4 and runoff is 1.7 EC, and dropping.

noexif_38nd3js.jpg
noexif_38nd3hs.jpg

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Well, A friend told me that the clawing in the tops could be from the lack of Mg (probably that day with too much light way too close but no extra nutes), so I sprayed a 0.8 EC Cal mag solution on the leaves yesterday and it's already almost gone!
I thought I will easily see the Mg deff cause it starts with white tips, seems that when it's sudden coming it jumps over those early signs.
Anyway, hoping for a full recovery, they do look much better than last days, pictures will come in a day or two.