What's new

Stainless Steel Fittings

cauldron

i use only Swagelok 316 SS fittings, valves/gauges.
cseries_lm_npt.jpg
try searching eBay for PGI-63C-PC30 and you should get a few hits.

I decided to try out some compression fittings from superlok.

View Image

Double ferrule fittings

View Image

The heat exchangers, almost completely set up!
Montroller, Are those compression fittings to 1/4 37 jic and 3/8 37 jic? Why did you go with two sizes? Sorry newb here, haven't gotten my coils or tr21 in the mail yet but I was trying to figure it out all in my head so I can order the fittings. Thanks.

Sunfire

Veteran
The tr21 and recovery tank fittings (unless you got the 100# one with 3 / 4 " NPT fittings) are 1/4" sae 45. 3/8 fittings on your machine and drier filters, with 3/8 hose I'd preferable for better flow. Whether you do jic 37 or sae 45 is your choice but if you go sae 45 you can save a lot money on ss fittings from instalation parts supply. Discount hydraulics has plenty of 3/8 sae 45 for 3/8 hose currently in stock however they don't stock 1/4" sae 45 hose end fittings for 3/8 hose. Their website has a discrepancy as well. The part number for that is fsx-06-04 but it says 5/16 and not 1/4 which is incorrect and I already notified them of this. So either wait two weeks proper fittings or get the 1/4" jic 37 hose end fittings for 3/8 hose (fjx-06-04) and use a flaretite sae 45 conical seal to get a good seal. However out of all my fittings that were jic hose ends on sae fittings, pressure tested at 200psi, only one required a seal saver to hold.

Or just use 1/4" hose and save yourself all that headache and trouble but you shouldn't have to go through as much shit as I did because I just layer it all out for you.

The tr21 and recovery tank fittings (unless you got the 100# one with 3 / 4 " NPT fittings) are 1/4" sae 45. 3/8 fittings on your machine and drier filters, with 3/8 hose I'd preferable for better flow. Whether you do jic 37 or sae 45 is your choice but if you go sae 45 you can save a lot money on ss fittings from instalation parts supply. Discount hydraulics has plenty of 3/8 sae 45 for 3/8 hose currently in stock however they don't stock 1/4" sae 45 hose end fittings for 3/8 hose. Their website has a discrepancy as well. The part number for that is fsx-06-04 but it says 5/16 and not 1/4 which is incorrect and I already notified them of this. So either wait two weeks proper fittings or get the 1/4" jic 37 hose end fittings for 3/8 hose (fjx-06-04) and use a flaretite sae 45 conical seal to get a good seal. However out of all my fittings that were jic hose ends on sae fittings, pressure tested at 200psi, only one required a seal saver to hold.

Or just use 1/4" hose and save yourself all that headache and trouble but you shouldn't have to go through as much shit as I did because I just layer it all out for you.

Thanks for the info Sunfire! Much appreciated!! I am at work rn will take a closer look at this later and get my fittings and hoses, I think I'm gonna go 3/8 for the hoses so I can upgrade the rest of my mk to subzero when the time comes. Just put the mkiii together yesterday, gotta get hoses and pressure test!
:woohoo:

Sunfire

Veteran
I should have mentioned. You don't want to do the jic 37 one fittings that you will take apart often because it start to shape your sae 45 fitting into a jic 37 cone, idk personally if that's bad though lol, might be a good thing.

I don't think I was totally clear on the ordering. If you order the sae 45 1/4" hose end fitting for 3/8 hose they have to special order the part, thus you will wait about two weeks before you get them in your hands.

1/4" jic 37 and sae 45 have the same thread pattern. 3/8 jic 37 and sae 45 do NOT. Keep that in mind.

I have two ss 37 jic fittings thanks to terppextractors. but they left me very confused following their assembly guide as it has typos everywhere. another thing that confused me is they gave me the recovery port fitting as ss quick connect and another 1/4 fitting in quickconnect.. So I have to order different fittings for those. Thanks Sunfire for your input! I read threads very thoroughly so I did see that picture of the 45 fitting. lol I have spent countless hours researching for this big step. I have noticed you and a couple other people putting in alot of work! I want to thank you all for your dedication and willingness to share!

Sunfire

Veteran
I have two ss 37 jic fittings thanks to terppextractors. but they left me very confused following their assembly guide as it has typos everywhere. another thing that confused me is they gave me the recovery port fitting as ss quick connect and another 1/4 fitting in quickconnect.. So I have to order different fittings for those. Thanks Sunfire for your input! I read threads very thoroughly so I did see that picture of the 45 fitting. lol I have spent countless hours researching for this big step. I have noticed you and a couple other people putting in alot of work! I want to thank you all for your dedication and willingness to share!

Lol just stay away from my older noob threads. Lmao I've come a long way in a handful of months.

I don't trust quick connect for these purposes at all. I think it was gw that pointed out you can hear them all leaking after shut down at a big manufacturing plant that uses lots of them. With my tractor, I'm always blowing out little rubber grommets inside the female end. Granted hydraulics is much higher pressure but the oil is damn near close to 90W which is extremely more viscous than R600 vapor. Plus I've seen mistakes and accidents where they were accidently disconnected while full of vapor and pressure, shit scared the hell out of me, I full on froze just waiting for the fireball to engulf me. Luckily the guy whose shop it was didn't freeze and quickly closed some valves.

Hydrosun, Thanks for your great input as well! I am taking in as much as possible! (about halfway through terpenation station!) :)
& Sunfire, Yes, They will lose their seal, as I read on pharm about the quick connects. I'm glad to hear your okay man, nobody wants to see the fireballs. :eek: Gotcha. I still have lots of questions to answer myself. I'll find em in the threads. When I get my fittings and hoses in I'll post some pics up when its finished. I ordered hoses yesterday, fittings today. :)

Snype

Veteran
Amazing thread! I love this place! So I'm trying to find the right Relief Valve and here are the 3 options that I found but don't know which one is the one to get:

Swagelok Low-Pressure Proportional Relief:
SS-RL3M4-S4
SS-RL3M4-S4-EP
SS-RL3M4S4-EP

Anyone know which one will work best for our application?

gholladay

Amazing thread! I love this place! So I'm trying to find the right Relief Valve and here are the 3 options that I found but don't know which one is the one to get:

Swagelok Low-Pressure Proportional Relief:
SS-RL3M4-S4
SS-RL3M4-S4-EP
SS-RL3M4S4-EP

Anyone know which one will work best for our application?
Snype,

I'm actually planning to buy the same component for my system. The model numbers you've posted are all the same model, except the last two are calling for Ethylene Propylene seals. Also, the last two are the same model number.. so there's really only two options there.

I'm planning to do the same component but with Fluorocarbon FKM seals, which is their standard material, and has the designation, -VI.

So that model number would be SS-RL3M4-S4-VI.

GH

Snype

Veteran
Snype,

I'm actually planning to buy the same component for my system. The model numbers you've posted are all the same model, except the last two are calling for Ethylene Propylene seals. Also, the last two are the same model number.. so there's really only two options there.

I'm planning to do the same component but with Fluorocarbon FKM seals, which is their standard material, and has the designation, -VI.

So that model number would be SS-RL3M4-S4-VI.

GH

Thanks! I just talked to them and I'm going with the SS-RL3M4-S4-EP so I can go below 0F unless someone tells me that material will leach something into the oil. The one with FKM only goes down to 0F. Thanks for the response and good luck with the fitting!

BrainChild

could anyone put 2cents in on this gauge http://www.winters.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=212&Itemid=223 just want to make sure there is not an issue i am over looking.

Looks good, a lot like the winters gauge I got, this is the one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087UK7MG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wasn't sure about the ammonia gauges, I saw one on sale and almost bit, it says they are designed to work in ammonia compressors and other ammonia refrigeration equipment. Probably be just fine, but I got the winters PFP one that wasn't designed for use in ammonia systems.