What's new

Stainless Steel Fittings

vividavis

Lol I agree, it looks like it's seating itself, I'd take it. That obviously wouldn't be as intense if it were ss. I've been pressure testing to twice what my expected high pressures will be. If it pasts the test I'd use it and keep an eye on it. Also maybe you over torqued it. I posted a chart above here the other day. Brass is way less torque than steel.

I must of over torqued it because my system isn't holding -29 after I did this to a couple of my fittings.

Sunfire

Veteran
Yeah the Flaretite big wig I talked with says that you should always match metals. It's not recommended (by him) to use a brass fitting with a steel fitting, prolly cause what happens is what happened to you.

A6 Grower

Veteran
Im sure the fact that the two metals would contract and expand differently at different temps would be the main concern to worry about.

Sunfire

Veteran
Im sure the fact that the two metals would contract and expand differently at different temps would be the main concern to worry about.

I think the main reason might be so the steel doesn't alter the brass as in that pic above.

So I was looking over the manual for the jb pump I just got. It says in there that if use an adapter that's metal to metal on the flair. It will only seat properly once. If you take it off and on it starts to leak and they recommend copper washers for this issue. Might be something to keep in mind if you are anal about cleaning and such. Copper crush washers are cheaper Han the Flaretite ones so if you break down.your lines a lot maybe go with copper. Reading the manual for that pump and the tips and tricks booklet makes me realize how delicate pumps might be??? It's very strict! Says if your even a teaspoon low on oil it effects things. There's proper start and stop procedures as well.

montroller

I decided to try out some compression fittings from superlok.

picture.php

Double ferrule fittings

picture.php

The heat exchangers, almost completely set up!

Sunfire

Veteran
You can get double ferrule for stainlesssteelfittings as well but they are jic 37. Sae 45 can be acquired from instalation parts supply but they are special order and can take a week or two before you get them.

Montroller, have you read anywhere about gravity drainage and what I like to call the clogged snorkel effect? Pre chiller idk if it matters as much. After chillers with the tube rising up from the bottom will gather liquid down there and increase pressures and times. It will work, but not as well if every thing slopes down to the tank.

montroller

I am having some insulation made for the outside of the stockpots and once that's done I want to put the recovery coil upside down and above the recovery tank so it will drain completely. This is just for the first couple days until I have all the parts.

Sunfire

Veteran
I thought of the same thing but I felt it more efficient to wait on parts and only do the build once. I guess this just depends on hoe badly you want to get to it.

hobb3s93

not sure if i missed it but can i put a ss compression cross on the standard mkiii lid threads?

i wanna go stainless aswell as tapeless, seems really appealing to me . is there something im missing as far as the challenge of converting my system to compression fittings? i know they are pricey...

Sunfire

Veteran
From npt, you can do whatever you want. Why don't you call the terpp folks and ask them the best way to go about it.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
not sure if i missed it but can i put a ss compression cross on the standard mkiii lid threads?

i wanna go stainless aswell as tapeless, seems really appealing to me . is there something im missing as far as the challenge of converting my system to compression fittings? i know they are pricey...

A standard NPT to compression fitting will work.

montroller

I'm not sure any of the systems sold right now can be tapeless without cutting and welding some lids/reducers.

It's already been said but you would have to go NPT with tape off the lids

Haven't really had a chance to test them but I honestly feel a lot more confident in my NPT fittings than these compression fittings. It just seems like any imperfection in the tubing will make a perfect seal impossible.

Nice, montroller! That's exactly what I'm going for as well.

One 25'x3/8" and one 50'x3/8" right?

Yup, I'm going to use the 50 to pre chill and the 25 for recovery, per advice from Permacultuure

I see a lot of stainless steel npt/jic fittings listed on amazon by Merit Brass that are very, very cheap, pennies on the dollar really in comparison to Stainlesssteelfittings. I take it Merrit must be complete garbage. Does anyone have a fresh take on this, what gives? :tiphat:

Merit - SS 1/2" cross $4.40
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GSKXN2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

stainlesssteelfittings - SS 1/2" cross $65.45
http://www.stainlesssteelfittings.com/Pipe_Cross_stainless_5652_p/ss-5652.htm

One has a 150psi rating, the other is rated for 4900psi.

Thank you so kindly, I see now my mistake, that I was in the wrong section at stainlesssteelfittings. I was thinking for a minute (i know that can be dangerous) and wrongly mistaken, I hope, that the price of building my Baby just went up exponentially. To many morning dabs with my wake up coffee. lol. Are the 150 rated ones sufficient for our purpose? :tiphat:

Last edited:

montroller

I wouldn't risk it. Even though the highest psi I ever see on a run is 40 and my tank has never gone above 100 I like the piece of mind the larger fittings give me

montroller

Read my edit, I was originally looking up a different fitting. Class 150 Ansi B1.20.1is actually only rated to 150 psi which I think is way too close to working pressure

Read my edit, I was originally looking up a different fitting. Class 150 Ansi B1.20.1is actually only rated to 150 psi which I think is way too close to working pressure

Thanks Montroller, safety comes first. It's a good thing it's early in build design so that I can incorporated the proper fittings into the budget and the design. :tiphat:

Chonkski

You guys know the 12" collection pot is only rated for 150° as well, right?