What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stainless Steel Fittings

montroller

I am starting this thread to help more people make the switch to all stainless fittings. I figured it could be a good place to discuss who has the best products/prices and where they might be available online or in-store.

Let's be honest there are a lot of different options out there and a lot of them are similar or exactly the same so lets try and use this thread to point people in the right direction!

I am currently in the process of switching my system to all SS fittings and lines, still need a solid pump though, here is what my shopping list looks like right now.

Some info specific to my rig:
The recovery tank has two male 3/8 NPT for vapor and liquid and 1 female 1/4 NPT for a pressure relief valve.
The collection pot has 2 male 3/8 NPT and the top of the material tube has 1 of those also.

Bshx3lS.png

If you want me to explain where everything is going I can but you can probably figure it out... maybe lol.

That should be everything I need except for a pressure release valve, which I can't find yet. Total is going to be about ~550 shipped.

Anyone think they have a better supplier of these parts? I really like that I can order it all in one from these guys, it helps me to keep everything in order.

montroller

Finally made the order!!! Now I can just sit back and refresh the tracking data every 5 seconds until my doorbell rings:biggrin:

Last edited:

snake11

I like to stick with Swagelok. They are more expensive but the quality is worth it. Swagelok sells Wika gauges as well as custom hoses. One stop shopping.

IlDeuceIV

If you plan to run 1lb+ columns you will likely need a 72" long hose as opposed to the 60" unisource has via Amazon. I know my 3"x18,24,36" columns + concentric reducers require the longer hose. I also use 3/8 ID if planning to use solvents at cryogenic temps to offset the sluggish flow.

AZClones

I like to stick with Swagelok. They are more expensive but the quality is worth it. Swagelok sells Wika gauges as well as custom hoses. One stop shopping.

Swagelok will empty your bank account, but the materials and engineering are top of the line.

montroller

If you plan to run 1lb+ columns you will likely need a 72" long hose as opposed to the 60" unisource has via Amazon. I know my 3"x18,24,36" columns + concentric reducers require the longer hose. I also use 3/8 ID if planning to use solvents at cryogenic temps to offset the sluggish flow.

Yah I did the measurements and I would for sure need at least 72 inches if my recovery tank was on the floor. Then I started thinking about how many issues everyone was having with pressure in cryo and was thinking that having a 6-7' head could be a huge issue that I was overlooking. So I just went with 5 feet so I can put my tank up a couple of feet off the ground to experiment with that theory.

Good eye though!

And I really like swagelok but I am 3 hours from the closest one and there online ordering leaves a lot to be desired lol

snake11

Swagelok will empty your bank account, but the materials and engineering are top of the line.

I have found lots of cheaper foreign tube connectors wear out after numerous times of being disconnected and reconnected. I have yet to wear out a swagelok fitting.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Our sources of stainless fittings alphabetically are:

Associated Hose
Motion and Flow
Paramount Supply
Swageloc
Unisource

Im trying to do the same thing is but without thread tape, but Im not sure on a few things, here is the parts list from swagelok-
cut off npt threads and use these parts
Part# Price
SS-600-61 $29.30 1 $29.30
SS Swagelok Tube Fitting, Bulkhead Union, 3/8 in. Tube OD
SS-6-TA-1-6AN $12.01 2 $24.02
SS Swagelok Tube Fitting, Male Tube Adapter, 3/8 in. Tube OD x 3/8 in. AN Tube Flare
316L-600-3 $39.51 1 $39.51
316L Swagelok Tube Fitting, Union Tee, 3/8 in. Tube OD
SS-6-TA-7-6 $16.24 1 $16.24
SS Swagelok Tube Fitting, Female Tube Adapter, 3/8 in. Tube OD x 3/8 in. Female NPT
SS-43GS6-1466 $139.72 1 $139.72
SS 1-Piece 40 Series Ball Valve, 1.5 Cv, 3/8 in. Swagelok Tube Fitting, No Lube, SC-11 Cleaned
SS-601-PC U $8.57 1 $8.57
SS Swagelok Tube Fitting, Port Connector, 3/8 in. Tube OD
SS-6-TA-7-4 $12.53 1 $12.53
SS Swagelok Tube Fitting, Female Tube Adapter, 3/8 in. Tube OD x 1/4 in. Female NPT
SS-600-6-4 $19.44 1 $19.44
SS Swagelok Tube Fitting, Reducing Union, 3/8 in. x 1/4 in. Tube OD
but im not sure what gauge to get from swaglok, and I could only find them with 1/4 or 1/2in tube connection which is why I used SS-600-6-6. Im also not sure if the ball valve will work ?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im trying to do the same thing is but without thread tape, but Im not sure on a few things, here is the parts list from swagelok-
cut off npt threads and use these parts
Part# Price
SS-600-61 $29.30 1 $29.30
SS Swagelok Tube Fitting, Bulkhead Union, 3/8 in. Tube OD
SS-6-TA-1-6AN $12.01 2 $24.02
SS Swagelok Tube Fitting, Male Tube Adapter, 3/8 in. Tube OD x 3/8 in. AN Tube Flare
316L-600-3 $39.51 1 $39.51
316L Swagelok Tube Fitting, Union Tee, 3/8 in. Tube OD
SS-6-TA-7-6 $16.24 1 $16.24
SS Swagelok Tube Fitting, Female Tube Adapter, 3/8 in. Tube OD x 3/8 in. Female NPT
SS-43GS6-1466 $139.72 1 $139.72
SS 1-Piece 40 Series Ball Valve, 1.5 Cv, 3/8 in. Swagelok Tube Fitting, No Lube, SC-11 Cleaned
SS-601-PC U $8.57 1 $8.57
SS Swagelok Tube Fitting, Port Connector, 3/8 in. Tube OD
SS-6-TA-7-4 $12.53 1 $12.53
SS Swagelok Tube Fitting, Female Tube Adapter, 3/8 in. Tube OD x 1/4 in. Female NPT
SS-600-6-4 $19.44 1 $19.44
SS Swagelok Tube Fitting, Reducing Union, 3/8 in. x 1/4 in. Tube OD
but im not sure what gauge to get from swaglok, and I could only find them with 1/4 or 1/2in tube connection which is why I used SS-600-6-6. Im also not sure if the ball valve will work ?

What thread sealant will you use instead?

Anyone have experience with the stainless steel fittings from Terpp Extractors? Was just going to upgrade to SS fittings when I buy my MK III.

Powder2Burn

Anyone have experience with the stainless steel fittings from Terpp Extractors? Was just going to upgrade to SS fittings when I buy my MK III.
I am trying to find out if Terpp extractors is supplying hoses with SAE 45 deg flair or JIC 37 deg flair. they will not answer my email anyone know?

montroller

SWEEET!! The order finally arrived. Most of the fittings I got from Stainlesssteelfittings.com were actually superlok fittings, and they looks real nice!

picture.php

The Bhogart recovery tank actually doesn't seem that janky anymore. I still can't find a spring loaded pressure regulator made of stainless for a reasonable price. So I am just going to put the brass one back in for now.

picture.php

Solvent inlet to cross with a gauge and vac line.

picture.php

Vac line on the cross

I really don't like the quality of the unisource hoses and am seriously considering returning them... I might just get 3/8 SS tubing instead of hosing and attach some female swivels on the end.

I think stainlessbrewing.com will be able to custom make the tube lengths and bends I want so I can just ditch the hoses all together.