What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stainless Steel Fittings

cerkilr

The bowl shaped end cap is actually an idea I ripped off from sean at ecogreen but he won't return my calls and I'm sure he has no patent, so fuck it, right? The internal diffuser was my idea though. Ok let's figure out the filter plate idea. I think all we need is the right size gaskets inside to sandwich all the screen together. I know where to get ss mesh down to 5 micron which is more than a fresh coffee filter will do.
I have seen something, cant find it had steel rings that slid in tight about half " thick or so > to screen >spacer>screen> with spacer on top to weight screen down. think that would do it? i guess you could make any screen config you are looking for on the fly.

I would love a proper screen holder. Please make sure the screen edge are sealed down so things can't go around the edge.

I would also buy:

1/4 (#4) SAE 45 Female x 3/8 (#6) JIC 37 Male - Stainless
1/4 (#4) SAE 45 Female x 3/8 (#6) JIC 37 Male - Lead Free Brass
1/4 (#4) SAE 45 Female x 1/2 (#8) JIC 37 Male - Stainless
1/4 (#4) SAE 45 Female x 1/2 (#8) JIC 37 Male - Lead Free Brass
3/8 (#6) SAE 45 Female x 1/2 (#8) JIC 37 Male - Stainless
1/2 (#8) SAE 45 Female x 1/2 (#8) JIC 37 Male - Stainless
1/2 (#8) SAE 45 Female x 1/2 (#8) JIC 37 Male - Lead Free Brass

None of these are made for sale. There are no fitting on the market that make the switch from SAE 45 to JIC 37 easy other than the female dual seat hose ends. Single adapter fittings would be really nice.

cerkilr

how many SS filters at what micron would be good?

i am seeing something like this:

on the inside of the filter stack machine it down a little ( so looking down it there would be a lip on the inside)

on that lip place a gasket > spacer >screen >spacer>screen> spacer> gasket >spacer that would go to the top and be flush with the triclamp. holding all screens and gaskets in place making sure nothing goes around screen filters. ???? input?

cerkilr

I would love a proper screen holder. Please make sure the screen edge are sealed down so things can't go around the edge.

I would also buy:

1/4 (#4) SAE 45 Female x 3/8 (#6) JIC 37 Male - Stainless
1/4 (#4) SAE 45 Female x 3/8 (#6) JIC 37 Male - Lead Free Brass
1/4 (#4) SAE 45 Female x 1/2 (#8) JIC 37 Male - Stainless
1/4 (#4) SAE 45 Female x 1/2 (#8) JIC 37 Male - Lead Free Brass
3/8 (#6) SAE 45 Female x 1/2 (#8) JIC 37 Male - Stainless
1/2 (#8) SAE 45 Female x 1/2 (#8) JIC 37 Male - Stainless
1/2 (#8) SAE 45 Female x 1/2 (#8) JIC 37 Male - Lead Free Brass

None of these are made for sale. There are no fitting on the market that make the switch from SAE 45 to JIC 37 easy other than the female dual seat hose ends. Single adapter fittings would be really nice.

Thank you for the input I will add this to the list.

Sunfire

Veteran
how many SS filters at what micron would be good?

i am seeing something like this:

on the inside of the filter stack machine it down a little ( so looking down it there would be a lip on the inside)

on that lip place a gasket > spacer >screen >spacer>screen> spacer> gasket >spacer that would go to the top and be flush with the triclamp. holding all screens and gaskets in place making sure nothing goes around screen filters. ???? input?

Your on the right track for sure. The only thing is, as mentioned, will need some sort of gasket in material. Viton seems to me to be the only option because it squishes. Instead of spacers that are ss, let's try to find some 1/4" to 1/2 viton pieces to use as a spacer and gasket in one.

The lip at the bottom is good idea, and below that we can use a 120 mesh screen gasket to start off the stack. With half inch spacer gaskets we could fit 5 screens into a 3" long spool. Those in combination with the starting screen gasket at the triclamp connection should be ample. I'm looking to do 4" diameter right now.

Would take some R&D to figure out what sizes would be efficient but it should end with the 5 micron screen. Maybe even the last 2 can be 5 micron just to be sure!

This would be sweet to only have to un bolt 2 triclamp clamps to access all the screens and clean them. If you get those going i bet you could sell them like hot cakes! I'll look into the screens and see if I can find such gasket/spacers. You do the same maybe? Except I got the screen handled no problem.

The bowl end cap would be best if it was female npt for versatility as everyone has different size line and fittings from 1/4" up to 1/2". I feel it's best to be left like that but if you make those bad ass filter spools you won't need to bowl cap because you'll want a end cap reducer there instead to press the gasket/spacers.

Maybe can still make them for other people. Idk what your trying to do here; just be really cool and help, try to open up a custom fittings side business, or try to get some more business for the shop?

If you trying to make some side dough the bowl cap would be great for people that arnt going to want to pay what that filter stack will probably end up costing.

I personally will take 2 filter stacks probably know atleast one other person that wants one in 4" too. I bet those would be a serious hit!

Dab Strudel

I inherited these cool SS NPT to swivle FNPT pieces. I like them, as they have not sourced a leak for me thus far. I was wondering if anyone has been using them and if any particular company holds merit over the rest. these guys dont have any markings at all.. I think one or two say 316 on them but other than that they are plane jane.

Dab Strudel

Also, anyone know what the.. err... design or style weaving Bizzy Bee has on his filter plates? its sturdy SS wire woven in a pattern to achieve something like 2 microns. maybe 20 but the key is its hefty wire and a low micron. I want to look into china making me a bunch and im sure if i asked him he'd tell me to piss off.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was beyond impressed with not only the selection, but the service at Pacific Rubber in Eugene, OR. They got our attention with their ability to make a hose we were unable to get in Portland before leaving, but Dru blew us away Saturday morning when we arrived to pick up some parts shortly before their ostensible 7:30AM opening time, and discovered that on Saturday, opening is not until 9:00AM.

Alas, resigned to our fate of sitting and dabbing a hour and a half in wait, we began the onerous procedure in the PR parking lot, only to be surprised by Dru, the owner, driving up and offering to open the store up early for us. Whoooooooa, yes sir, yes sir, three bags full.

We not only got the two nipples and some fittings we have on back order in Portland, but he whomped up a 3/8" X 15' stainless overbraided PTFE hose for us, while we waited, or more precisely, prowled his shelves to check out his impressive inventory.

Wowza, ya'll lucky folks in Eugene! We will start checking with them before waiting a week for fittings in Portland, cause they are one days UPS away and they certainly have the right "toods."

www.pacrubber.com (800) 833-8009

PS: Thanks to J Coltrane and Hydrosun for making these folks known to us and mention to Dru who sent ya'll, should you try them out!

Sunfire

Veteran
Also, anyone know what the.. err... design or style weaving Bizzy Bee has on his filter plates? its sturdy SS wire woven in a pattern to achieve something like 2 microns. maybe 20 but the key is its hefty wire and a low micron. I want to look into china making me a bunch and im sure if i asked him he'd tell me to piss off.

These go down to 1 micron but it's the same price for a 1.5" up to 3", 62.50$. A 4" diameter goes up to 67$. Was going to call and ask them stuff but never did yet...
http://www.twpinc.com/1-micron-5-ply-sintered-stainless-plate

this is single layer ss screen that goes down to 5 microns. I was thinking of getting successively smaller mesh for the filter stacks ...
https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/stainlessmesh.php

Chonkski

We're you guys talking about something like this or did I mis read

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 16

Sunfire

Veteran
We're you guys talking about something like this or did I mis read

Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about! Where'd you find those??

They go on the top of your material spool to take better advantage of the surface are of your screen gasket to allow more and better flow than a simple end cap reducer would. I had a 4x2 end cap reducer up there and on the screen gasket there'd just be a little 2" diameter puddle of fines. I replaced that with a 4x3 to a 3x2 and I have much better flow with the bottom flood. 3" diameter is twice the surface area of 2". But those bowl shaped end caps will give you the full 4" diameter of your screen gasket will let clamps and reducers!

Sunfire

Veteran
But that's a seperate item to the filter stack I was talking about. I think multiple filter plates with a clamp for each one sucks to take apart. But having 5-7 screens with only 2 clamps to take apart would be sweet!

Dab Strudel

I was beyond impressed with not only the selection, but the service at Pacific Rubber in Eugene, OR. They got our attention with their ability to make a hose we were unable to get in Portland before leaving, but Dru blew us away Saturday morning when we arrived to pick up some parts shortly before their ostensible 7:30AM opening time, and discovered that on Saturday, opening is not until 9:00AM.

Alas, resigned to our fate of sitting and dabbing a hour and a half in wait, we began the onerous procedure in the PR parking lot, only to be surprised by Dru, the owner, driving up and offering to open the store up early for us. Whoooooooa, yes sir, yes sir, three bags full.

We not only got the two nipples and some fittings we have on back order in Portland, but he whomped up a 3/8" X 15' stainless overbraided PTFE hose for us, while we waited, or more precisely, prowled his shelves to check out his impressive inventory.

Wowza, ya'll lucky folks in Eugene! We will start checking with them before waiting a week for fittings in Portland, cause they are one days UPS away and they certainly have the right "toods."

PS: Thanks to J Coltrane and Hydrosun for making these folks known to us and mention to Dru who sent ya'll, should you try them out!

I shot them a call and it sounds like theyve got all the adapters and unions and nipples we need. unfortunately they dont have SS NPT ends for the hoses though! only swivel but they have the adapters to NPT. and the adapter is half the cost. 1/2 JIC to NPT Male adapters are around 15 bones and i believe he quoted me like 8 bucks or less.. Im a big Grainger fan, as theyve helped me alot, but the little guy is where my money is going. PacRubber's contact page lists Wednesday and Saturdays with hours... hope thats not true

Sunfire

Veteran
I'm pretty sure most of use flare swivel hose end fittings bro. Npt would be a bitch if you need to take things apart and clean them or do whatever with, all that thread tape.

Dab Strudel

Am I really the only one that uses NPT where a swivel isn't necessary? Granted when a swivel is necessary I would prefer JIC, not flare, or NPT for that matter. The other question about the NPT swivel is for a hose I already have that Id rather adapt to then buy another 89$ hose.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PacRubber's contact page lists Wednesday and Saturdays with hours... hope thats not true

Ah read that as weekdays and Saturdays............

Pacific Rubber & Supply Corporation
690 Conger Street, Eugene, OR 97402-2783
(541) 342-3350
1-800-833-8009

Store Hours:
7:30 am to 5:00 pm Weekdays
9:00 am to 1:00 pm on Saturday

Permacultuure

Veteran

Some of the friendliest guys around. They love our industry and business, and they are more than willing to help in anyway.

The guys at RSD across the street are pretty cool too. I love having the big city industrial access with the ease of small town traffic and travel.

Sunfire

Veteran
Am I really the only one that uses NPT where a swivel isn't necessary? Granted when a swivel is necessary I would prefer JIC, not flare, or NPT for that matter. The other question about the NPT swivel is for a hose I already have that Id rather adapt to then buy another 89$ hose.

My 3/8 5' foot hoses from Discount hydraulics are like 40$ each.

Jic IS flare. It's a 37 degree flare as opposed to sae 45 degree flare. I feel like npt swivel would be harder to get the swivel to press hard enough against its collar on the hose end fitting to seal, especially with thread tape. Flare fittings are pretty much the standard with hydraulics and the beverage industry. I went sae 45 just cause that's what instalation parts supply sells and their fittings are like 1/2 to 1/4 the price of other companies.

If npt works for you, and you already got the hose, then I say use it. Why fix something that aint broke right?