What's new

Seriously SILY - A Branch Blooming Diary

Either you're missing the whole point or you're challenged, or you're just a troll. What hes built is ideal for the experiment he is attempting for the reason hes stated.
Theres nothing stupid about what hes doing or what his plant looks like.
This is how innovation developes. This is how experiments are carried out. He has an idea, he doesnt have answers to his idea, hes come up with a valid experiment, and hes carrying out the experiment to get the end data hes looking for to verify his idea.

And please, graft some cuttings of various strains onto a host plant. Let's see your results. I'll bet he has a much better grasp on this than you do. Who's not built for this hobby then?

The only thing shitty here is you and your attitude.

no need to insult anyway ... you can say what you want the problem is that it is an experiment of useless .. you lose time ... and money .. adios

PCBuds

but you're like... my icmag bestie.... at least i thought you were... i dunno even know who you are any more...

HAHA JK took you long enough to find it! Welcome aboard PCBuds.

This thread is 2 weeks old and 7 pages long.

I've got some reading to do....

methias

Great experiment.
I'm really curious to see if the core plant stays in vegetative mode when budding starts on the perimeter areas.
I envision 3 possible outcomes on this.

1) buds only outside the core area. :woohoo:
2) buds everywhere, inside and outside the core. Or ( hopefully not)
3) she could go hermaphrodite from the stress of trying to half and half flower.

My guess is #2) that the entire plant will flower.
I have no experience in this but (my) logic tells me that the hormones responsible for triggering flower will flow throughout her.
It's just my best guess, but I'm hoping you get #1).

Any one else got prognostications to share?

Good luck

Vape on kids

Sunshineinabag

frugal farmers

frugal farmers

Also... I found this wonderful little fixture at GoodWill on half off on “orange tag day” for just $2. It happens to be perfect for positioning over the air layering that I’’ gonna do so I have something ready to put in the non experimental tent after I harvest the SBR and Peyote Cookies. I’ll lollipop that branch until there is a cutting size in a vertical position above the marker. Then I’ll scrape two sides a bit with an xacto and out some clonex and a RW plug on it secured with some plant training wire after wrapping a little black poly around it. I’ll probably then go straight from the RW plug to the 5 gal pot it’s sitting in throw some lights all around it like PCBuds side lighting in his micro cab. Try to get it real big, real fast so it’s reading to go in between two of my SIL fixtures vertically or diagonally hung in the tent.

View Image

View Image

So my big ready to flower veg plant will still technically be a branch of my MOMF and not count as a 5th plant.

frugal farmers always persevere man....well done!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great experiment.
I'm really curious to see if the core plant stays in vegetative mode when budding starts on the perimeter areas.
I envision 3 possible outcomes on this.

1) buds only outside the core area. :woohoo:
2) buds everywhere, inside and outside the core. Or ( hopefully not)
3) she could go hermaphrodite from the stress of trying to half and half flower.

My guess is #2) that the entire plant will flower.
I have no experience in this but (my) logic tells me that the hormones responsible for triggering flower will flow throughout her.
It's just my best guess, but I'm hoping you get #1).

Any one else got prognostications to share?

Good luck

Vape on kids

I'll go with #2, along with some #3 but that's because there's a dark cycle on both the inside and outside and I'm guessing there is some overlap between them.

If the 6hr dark cycle inside is during the 12hr light cycle on the outside, then there would be no dark over-lap and that might throw it off more where it could be even more hermi-prone.

I thought other than auto-flower strains, most cannabis is dependent on a dark cycle to flower, so 24/0 on the inside and 12/12 on the outside might also produce different results, ie with the majority of the plant always under light, a branch might be more inclined to flower while the rest of the plant just chugs along in a vegetative state?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
so 24/0 on the inside and 12/12 on the outside
Flowering with photo period is a dance of flowering hormones converting back and forth. The hormones in the 24/0 branch will only convert one way and stay in veg, the ones in the 12/12 area will do both and promote flowering.

I'm curious to see if low branches in flower affect higher branches in veg, the way LST does. ;)

PCBuds

What about grafting autoflower plants onto a photoperiod mother??

EDIT: I guess it wouldn't be perpetual then.

Last edited:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Flowering with photo period is a dance of flowering hormones converting back and forth. The hormones in the 24/0 branch will only convert one way and stay in veg, the ones in the 12/12 area will do both and promote flowering.

I'm curious to see if low branches in flower affect higher branches in veg, the way LST does. ;)

There is not a 24/0 branch, he's running the inside at 18/6 according to his first post.

There's a dark period both inside and out. That's why I'm guessing the whole thing is going to flower, with the inside being delayed flowering and potentially throwing some nanners inside.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
There is not a 24/0 branch, he's running the inside at 18/6 according to his first post.
Yes, I'm quite aware. :)

I went back and included your quote with my comment. It's less confusing now.

Very interested in how this turns out, though I'm sure there are horticultural studies which would spoil the surprise. ;)

Fitzera

What about grafting autoflower plants onto a photoperiod mother??

EDIT: I guess it wouldn't be perpetual then.

That actually opens up a whole lot more questions, we all know that any set back of an auto drastically affects the end result. Would an auto be setback in this setting? Would an auto scion even take? Would it affect the host plant differently than the current experiment?

You got my hamster running, PCBuds!

Fitzera

That brings up questions in my mind that I hadnt considered...in a normal cannabis plant, topping the meristem causes branches to grow faster and another top to take the lead...due to hormone changes. So hormones are circulating, or at least sending signals throughout the plant.

And it's an overall buildup of hormones that cause the plant to finally go into flower mode. When I think buildup, I'm thinking the plant as a whole.

I'm now leaning towards that this will affect the whole plant. But what's neat is if it doesnt. That could potentially show that while some hormones are transient, others are localized. This may already be common knowledge to somebody, but not having any real botany education, I wouldnt know.

And to add, in conjunction with my previous post, if auto scions were grafted and the hormones do in fact circulate...how would this affect the host plant?

PCBuds

You got my hamster running, PCBuds!

I was figuring that the entire plant including the grafted autos could be under 18/6 so no need for light separation.
But ScrogMonster is aiming for a perpetual plant and autos probably won't do that.

I think ScrogMonster should try it so we can find out. Lol 😆

ScrogMonster

Veteran
I'll go with #2, along with some #3 but that's because there's a dark cycle on both the inside and outside and I'm guessing there is some overlap between them.

If the 6hr dark cycle inside is during the 12hr light cycle on the outside, then there would be no dark over-lap and that might throw it off more where it could be even more hermi-prone.

I thought other than auto-flower strains, most cannabis is dependent on a dark cycle to flower, so 24/0 on the inside and 12/12 on the outside might also produce different results, ie with the majority of the plant always under light, a branch might be more inclined to flower while the rest of the plant just chugs along in a vegetative state?

So I just set the timers to 12/12 in both tents like... yesterday. So far I unplugged the light fixture inside the box from the timer and have it straight in the surge protector so the inside of the box is actually on 24h right now. Perhaps I should leave it as such. I'd hate to put on 18/6 and see the middle flower and then have to think to myself if a 24h cycle would have made it work.