What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seriously SILY - A Branch Blooming Diary

brickweeder

...I need to learn more about breeding...I just can't get over growing flowers haha.
I hear you. I recently deseeded maybe 1/2z of bud, and ended up with less than 1/4z of usable. Something to be said about pure flower. On the otherhand, brought back some good memories of breaking up mex weed on an album cover and separating the junk with a business card.

El Tigre

This is one of the craziest and weirdest things i saw so far, speaking about weed of course :biggrin:
I'll keep peeping with pleasure.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Thanks El Tigre! glad to have your company.

So... 5 out of 9 grafts that I did 6 days ago looked pretty healthy yesterday so I took them out of their bags and dropped the light fixture down low enough to facilitate some actual growth in them. I checked on them once, an hour later and they were still standing up straight. I meant to check on them again last night but it got away from me. When I checked on them finally today they were all looking just as good or better. One of each of these 5 successful grafts were one of my 4 different strains that I needed to land. So.... Viola! I now have all my strains on one MOMF, the host being Tangelo.

Sugar Black Rose Scion
picture.php

Peyote Cookies Scion
picture.php

Lemon Meringue Scion (underneath an unsuccessful scion that I only took out of the bag so the LM wouldn't be shaded by it, also I have all my strains now so the other scions that haven't healed enough yet or won't don't even matter)
picture.php

Guerrilla Glue Scion that was cut from topping my first successful graft that was also my only GG DNA till now.
picture.php

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Also... I found this wonderful little fixture at GoodWill on half off on “orange tag day” for just $2. It happens to be perfect for positioning over the air layering that I’’ gonna do so I have something ready to put in the non experimental tent after I harvest the SBR and Peyote Cookies. I’ll lollipop that branch until there is a cutting size in a vertical position above the marker. Then I’ll scrape two sides a bit with an xacto and out some clonex and a RW plug on it secured with some plant training wire after wrapping a little black poly around it. I’ll probably then go straight from the RW plug to the 5 gal pot it’s sitting in throw some lights all around it like PCBuds side lighting in his micro cab. Try to get it real big, real fast so it’s reading to go in between two of my SIL fixtures vertically or diagonally hung in the tent.

picture.php

picture.php

So my big ready to flower veg plant will still technically be a branch of my MOMF and not count as a 5th plant.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
I made the the 18gal tote planters that the Sugar Black Rose and Peyote Cookies plants are in for sub irrigating but I put screens on the plants before figuring out what to put the planters on to hold the perlite for sub irrigation. Also I didn't really have the head room, so I was just planning on hand watering. I got tired of that really quick and I knew in my heart I really wanted to sub irrigate. So I propped up the totes on some boards and just shoved perlite under the totes and stuffed the lids/drip trays with perlite. I'll just poor water into the perlite probably daily until I get some hydro fittings to turn my 3 gal water jug into an auto top off deal for them.

picture.php

The boards were a pain to get under the totes and I had to raise the screens little by little too to make sure I didn't damage the growth that's tucked and tied. Once there was perlite shoved underneath the boards slipped out nice and easy.
picture.php

Yay now they're both sitting on around 1-2" of perlite. I saturated the perlite with water at this point and I think they maybe fit just under 1 gal of water each. Not bad for just a small layer. This peyote Cookies looks about ready to flower I think but I'm giving everything at least a few more days.
picture.php

I trained/spread out the Sugar Black Rose after this photo. It still needs a few days for sure. I covered the exposed perlite with black poly so the moisture stays and goes where it should. I hope my daughter doesn't miss these rocks she collected from the shore. She left them sitting on the floor in the backseat for hot minute though so..... I'll give them back if she asks for them then I'll find something else to use haha.
picture.php

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Here's how the experimental plant is lookin. I don't think they'll fill the screens vertically and I'm a little worried they might be a bit crowded horizontally... couple picks turned sideways and I don't feel like fixin' em. sorry.

picture.php

Right side of the box.
picture.php

Left side.
picture.php

Middle. It's growin ok in the middle. I want to add another bulb or two. maybe at some point.
picture.php

Fitzera

Looking great, I had a thought...what if you bent the metal screen horizontally where the tops are currently. Then start weaving the tops horizontally to make a side wing canopy. Of course that would screw up all your work of mounting the lights up the walls...

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Looking great, I had a thought...what if you bent the metal screen horizontally where the tops are currently. Then start weaving the tops horizontally to make a side wing canopy. Of course that would screw up all your work of mounting the lights up the walls...

Too much work and alteration. I’m starting to like the vertical canopy too.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Doing some plant training recently and I thought this was a cool photo. I'm gonna start flowering soon. 3-4 days maybe.
picture.php

For shits and giggles I pulled a thin, weak little poorly lit Lemon Meringue branch from well under the canopy inside of the middle of the box and I threw it onto a very low branch of the Tangelo MOMF... it took maybe 8 days but it healed and is out of the bag. heh. Grafting is fun.
picture.php

I trimmed the Tangelo MOMF down so that there are now only 2 branches of Tangelo outside of the scions. This way I'll have a more even number of cuttings available of each strain as the MOMF grows out. I dropped the light fixture down to around 8" from the tops and there's 6 - 1600lm bulbs lighting her up.
picture.php

ok a lot of imagination, but it wasn't better to make normal plants without making all this confusion ?? also because the result is ridiculous ugly plants kept badly ... as we say "A lot of smoke and no roast"

ScrogMonster

Veteran
ok a lot of imagination, but it wasn't better to make normal plants without making all this confusion ?? also because the result is ridiculous ugly plants kept badly ... as we say "A lot of smoke and no roast"

I think the only confusion here is in the weird shit you just said... nice of you to stop by though. Thanks for trying. :wave:

look if you are happy you are not a problem for me ... you have built a telephone booth to make a shitty plant ... for me it is better if you dedicate yourself to other trusted hobbies it is not yours this ... greet me yours little friends who came to the rescue
ah and look at my diary to see a plant instead of blah blah blah

Fitzera

look if you are happy you are not a problem for me ... you have built a telephone booth to make a shitty plant ... for me it is better if you dedicate yourself to other trusted hobbies it is not yours this ... greet me yours little friends who came to the rescue
ah and look at my diary to see a plant instead of blah blah blah

Either you're missing the whole point or you're challenged, or you're just a troll. What hes built is ideal for the experiment he is attempting for the reason hes stated.
Theres nothing stupid about what hes doing or what his plant looks like.
This is how innovation developes. This is how experiments are carried out. He has an idea, he doesnt have answers to his idea, hes come up with a valid experiment, and hes carrying out the experiment to get the end data hes looking for to verify his idea.

And please, graft some cuttings of various strains onto a host plant. Let's see your results. I'll bet he has a much better grasp on this than you do. Who's not built for this hobby then?

The only thing shitty here is you and your attitude.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
It's pretty cool watching this thread transpire. I personally think the combination of vertical and horizontal gardening is quite intriguing. Tuned in!!!