What's new

Seriously SILY - A Branch Blooming Diary

ScrogMonster

Veteran
What about grafting autoflower plants onto a photoperiod mother??

EDIT: I guess it wouldn't be perpetual then.

SPOILER ALERT. Well sort of. I've been having such great success with grafting, that the other thought I've been having is... what if instead of pushing new branches out of the box... i just cut the finished cola of the plant and graft a new cut on... keep the lights on 12/12 and just replace all the flowers with new grafts. This is an experiment I'm also going to try for sure. After we see about the light barrier one of course. If the mass grafting technique works to turn a ready to harvest plant into a ready to flower plant, that is most likely the technique I'll stick with. Then I'll only have 3 plants. One great big MOMF and two great big plants that I just keep grafting new branches on to flower.

PCBuds

... i just cut the finished cola of the plant and graft a new cut on... keep the lights on 12/12 and just replace all the flowers with new grafts.
...If the mass grafting technique works to turn a ready to harvest plant into a ready to flower plant,

I remember thinking that I could maybe harvest my plant then just let the stump regrow to start a new plant but apparently, it doesn't work that way.

So if your mother plant is ready for harvest, it may be nearing the end of its life cycle.

However, if you were to graft new scions onto an old mother plant, and the grafts we're right at the start of flowering, the hormones of the young grafts may send the mother plant back into the start of flowering mode, much like how a plant can revert back into veg.

That way you've got a well-established root and branch system that can feed the grafts tons of what they need.

PCBuds

I've been thinking about it some more.
(remember, I don't know what I'm talking about, ... I just make stuff up. Lol 😆 )

If you were to graft new scions onto a plant that still has established colas and flowers, the youthful hormones of the new grafts might interfere with the finishing colas and maybe keep them from finishing and the old hormones may hinder the progress of the new grafts?

The mixed-up hormones may herm the plant too?

I'm thinking it might be better to harvest every cola and flower all at once to try and get a complete hormone change.
(I'm assuming most of the hormones are coming from the flowers?)

Maybe that way you can pull the mother plant out of her death cycle.

Another thing to consider is maybe to find the best candidate for a mother plant that has really strong and stable genetics that you would really have to piss-off to get it to herm.

q3corn

[...] what if instead of pushing new branches out of the box... i just cut the finished cola of the plant and graft a new cut on... keep the lights on 12/12 and just replace all the flowers with new grafts.

I thought that was the original idea?

PCBuds

I've been thinking some more...
(and drinking, ... and toking)

If you were to trim all the flowers off at once then do all your grafting and turn your lights to 18/6, the entire plant may go to reveg and come back from the death and dying??

ScrogMonster

Veteran
I thought that was the original idea?

No the original idea was that while the plant on the outside of the box flowers, I’m growing branches inside the box to replace them. I’d harvest the branches that were finished all the way down to the main stem. Then I’d cut new holes and use the existing holes and push the branches that had been growing inside the box, out of the box to be flowered and repeat the process.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
I've been thinking some more...
(and drinking, ... and toking)

If you were to trim all the flowers off at once then do all your grafting and turn your lights to 18/6, the entire plant may go to reveg and come back from the death and dying??

Yeah hmmm it might be that I’d have to do have it on a veg cycle while the grafts heal. I don’t know. Maybe non of this nonsense will work and I’ll just have to air layer my MOMF and graft the flavors of the month onto my veg plants and flower some Christmas trees. That might be where all this heading heh. That’d be fun too and honestly the easiest and most sure method for me to keep my set up in a nice perpetual flow.... buuuuuuuut first ima try some weird shit.

PCBuds

Keep in mind though, that nobody seems to know what will happen.

You may be the first to try all this so I think it deserves to be done.

Most great discoveries we're discovered by accident.

methias

Methias - I know what you mean I was recently having a lot of trouble getting clones to root. I tweaked a bunch of things though and right when I finally had my cloning method dialed in nice... I learned that for now Medical Marijuana cards won't do me any good and that if I want to be legal at the moment I'm gonna have to make things work with only four plants. Hence the wacky experiment and the MOMF. .---------

First off. Thank you for your grafting instructions and pics.
I tried 3 times and even with your informative tutorial, I failed all 3 attempts.
However I now have multiple Alien OG clones to play with. The aeroponic bucket cloner works well for me.

Maybe I should try the grafting when I'm not baked,,,,

I will get an Alien OG onto my MOMF eventually. And much of my future grafting success I owe to you.

Meanwhile pulled up a chair to see what happens here.

Vape on kids :respect:

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Methias - My pleasure bro. Best of luck just keep trying.

I probably already mentioned raising the lights at least for the graft site dimming or shading or something but I thought I’d say it just in case. With the SIL’s I can just unscrew the bulb that’s above the site which is nice. Once it’s standing back up with out the bag it can handle full light again.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Made some dabs with 99% ISO. I did a 40gram run with some flower I had in the freezer. Big Smooth. I got 7.3g from it. its pretty dark... and goopey. I think maybe smaller runs would yield a better quality..? Also plan on trying fresh/frozen material like a day after harvest instead of buds that sat in the freezer for months. Any body know if the size of a QWISO run effects the color/consistency? Maybe a vacuum purge would help the consistency? I have a food saver with an accessory port. I'm gonna get a container for it to try and purge with it... i read a lot people seem to say vac purge isn't necessary with QWISO.

picture.php

Oh I also heated the pyrex with a seedling mat. Not sure if that could have helped make it darker too, I've also read not to use any heat when evaporating for better quality. Whens spread thin its more Amber but... I want a much lighter color.

Finally got around to starting my Air Layering.
picture.php

picture.php

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Here's things at one week of flower. The outside looks like its starting to cluster up a little. The inside of the box so far does not look to be going into flowering but something is happening to it. It appears to be yellowing out when before i started flowering on the outside it was the correct healthy shade of green. I sprayed the middle with some kelp to try and help with that. I also added more Down To Earth Bio Thrive on top of the soil and watered it in.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The left side I'm sticking all 5000k
picture.php

The right side I have the middle column of bulbs so 1/3 with 2700k.
one reason my bulbs i use from costco are not currently on instant rebate. Another reason is for a little side by side to see the difference.

picture.php

ScrogMonster

Veteran
I would never ever again not cover the top of the soil with something. Poly or plastic sheeting is my favorite though. Mostly because it's so satisfying to be able to move the plastic and see those happy top roots thriving. Makes it easy to top much and water too.

picture.php

picture.php

q3corn

Made some dabs with 99% ISO. I did a 40gram run with some flower I had in the freezer. Big Smooth. I got 7.3g from it. its pretty dark... and goopey. I think maybe smaller runs would yield a better quality..? Also plan on trying fresh/frozen material like a day after harvest instead of buds that sat in the freezer for months. Any body know if the size of a QWISO run effects the color/consistency? Maybe a vacuum purge would help the consistency? I have a food saver with an accessory port. I'm gonna get a container for it to try and purge with it... i read a lot people seem to say vac purge isn't necessary with QWISO.

View Image

Oh I also heated the pyrex with a seedling mat. Not sure if that could have helped make it darker too, I've also read not to use any heat when evaporating for better quality. Whens spread thin its more Amber but... I want a much lighter color.

I do QWET, not QWISO, but I think the process is nearly identical

The three reasons I've had dark product as a result were either old material, too long of a soak, or too high of a temperature. It's *really* important to keep everything as cold as possible when doing a qwet/qwiso extraction to prevent any chlorophyl from being absorbed in the alcohol. Heating it to evap faster doesn't effect the color or flavor at all. If you can, do everything in the freezer, and do a 2-step filtration when draining the alcohol away from the bud. First filter is with a mesh or cheese cloth just to get the alcohol away from the big plant particles. Then imediately after filter through a coffee filter to get all of the small particles out.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
I do QWET, not QWISO, but I think the process is nearly identical

The three reasons I've had dark product as a result were either old material, too long of a soak, or too high of a temperature. It's *really* important to keep everything as cold as possible when doing a qwet/qwiso extraction to prevent any chlorophyl from being absorbed in the alcohol. Heating it to evap faster doesn't effect the color or flavor at all. If you can, do everything in the freezer, and do a 2-step filtration when draining the alcohol away from the bud. First filter is with a mesh or cheese cloth just to get the alcohol away from the big plant particles. Then imediately after filter through a coffee filter to get all of the small particles out.

Yeah I do freeze the plant matter in the jar and the ISO for at least 8 hours. I do the 2 step filtration. I actually got some 1gal bubble bags online for $10 and use a mesh strainer first, and then the 73 micron size bag instead of a coffee filter. This way I don’t have to keep pouring and checking and waiting forever for the ISO to get through a small coffee filter. The bag can hold it all and has larger more uniform filter surface area and does the job quicker. I cut the bottom off of a 1gal pot and use it to hold the bubble bag over toaster oven rack which sits over the Pyrex. The mesh strainer fits right on top of all that so it’s just one quick pour from the jar after only 20 seconds of a wash. The liquid pools for a bit in the bubble bag and takes maybe 5min or so to all get through. It’s probably just the old buds I used.

q3corn

Yeah I do freeze the plant matter in the jar and the ISO for at least 8 hours. I do the 2 step filtration. I actually got some 1gal bubble bags online for $10 and use a mesh strainer first, and then the 73 micron size bag instead of a coffee filter. This way I don’t have to keep pouring and checking and waiting forever for the ISO to get through a small coffee filter. The bag can hold it all and has larger more uniform filter surface area and does the job quicker. I cut the bottom off of a 1gal pot and use it to hold the bubble bag over toaster oven rack which sits over the Pyrex. The mesh strainer fits right on top of all that so it’s just one quick pour from the jar after only 20 seconds of a wash. The liquid pools for a bit in the bubble bag and takes maybe 5min or so to all get through. It’s probably just the old buds I used.

You're way more on top of your tech than I am. It probably was just the age of the buds. Is the flavor still good?

ScrogMonster

Veteran
You're way more on top of your tech than I am. It probably was just the age of the buds. Is the flavor still good?

Yeah actually the flavor is awesome! I guess that’s what matters most right? That puddle O’ goop in the pic is Big Smooth which is a Blueberry OG x Cookies and scream. The flavor of the dabs is mostly berries. Very tasty. My buddy and I made some dry Ice hash last night and the powder has a bit of plant matter in it and it’s not dab-able. So I’m gonna do a QWISO run with that. I think that might turn out really nice. It’s much fresher material and there’s next to no plant matter, just little bits that made it through the 73micron bag. I’ll only have to use a wee bit of ISO to dissolve the hash so it should evap quick and well. I won’t use any heat this time. Excited to see how it turns out.

Latest posts

Latest posts