What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seriously SILY - A Branch Blooming Diary

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Here’s the GG graft connection. It looks pretty strong now, the branch is growing nicely. I took a cutting from it to graft onto the mom/veg plant today.

Graft site
picture.php

GG branch after getting topped for a cut to graft onto mother.

picture.php

Here’s the first graft I did today out of 8 onto the Tangelo host mom. This is a Peyote Cookies Scion. I have one of those nifty grafting tools. Tried it out a few times but intuition and just a little exp is telling me an xacto is the way to go for cannabis. The grafting tape that came with the tool though. I love even though it’s just a small long roll of seran wrap. It works great.

picture.php

Then I like to put a bit of aluminum tape. 2-3 wraps it’s a small piece though. To splint/stabilize the site.

picture.php

Then a label and a misted Sammy bag.

picture.php

methias

About 10 years ago I tried making a "mom of many flavors" by grafting as well. I had limited success. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=196218

My biggest problem "once I had succeeded attaching 2 grafts" was my inability to clone. My cloning success rate was < 5%. My cloning box was more akin to a clone hospice. So even with a mom of many flavors growing, I was fucked. Eventually I killed mom.:chin:

I decided that I really needed to learn how to clone properly. So I searched icmag and eventually I landed on the areoponics (bucket with pump and spray heads) method for cloning. My success rate went from 5% to 95% :woohoo:
Here is a pic of my 2 (2 gallon) cloning buckets.

The Venom OG in the middle is now my VOG/cheese MOMF.

A few months ago I decided to try making a new Judy MOMF (Mom Of Many Flavors). I took a Venom OG (above) and grafted a chunk of Cheese on her and she took hold. A friend recently gave me an Alien OG clone. I grew her out till I could take some clippings to clone and fired up the clone bucket a few days ago. I hope to graft some Alien OG onto my two tone mom once I have viable clones to play with.

I am very interested in your grafting methods. While I have had limited success, my grafting is a hit / miss proposition at best. Occasionally damaging the recipient. I would love to see a pictorial of your grafting process. It looks like you have that down. :tiphat:

I've pulled up a recliner and am hoping for your success with the branch flowering experiment. It's a novel concept. One worthy of being tested. Good luck.

Vape on kids.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Methias - I know what you mean I was recently having a lot of trouble getting clones to root. I tweaked a bunch of things though and right when I finally had my cloning method dialed in nice... I learned that for now Medical Marijuana cards won't do me any good and that if I want to be legal at the moment I'm gonna have to make things work with only four plants. Hence the wacky experiment and the MOMF. I like your areo buckets.

If you check out my last grow diary linked in my signature you'll see a good picture of the first graft that I did that was healed and starting to grow in just 10 days. I took about a cutting size top of the GG for a scion and matched it to the same thickness of the host branch I was using. Then using a an Xacto cleaned with ISO, cut a simple V shape out of the host and whittled the inverse with bottom of the GG cut. Stuck them together and splinted it with a piece of aluminum tape with the tape backing stuck in the middle like a little band-aid. I put a misted sammy bag on it and tried to blow into the bag once a day. It wilted HARD at first but there was maybe to much light on it. I turned off the SIL's that were right above it. It started slowly standing back up and when it looked alive again for a day or two I took the bag off and it starting growing again. A little slow at first while it was still healing then it took off like a normal branch.

I have had another successful graft since. Peyote Cookies scion onto my SBR. I did this one differently and it was very successful maybe more so then the first. I'll be flowering these plants in 2 weeks or less and I can't wait to watch and post the Peyote cookies branch flowering on the SBR plant! It's almost as exciting as the branch blooming thing hehe. I made this graft January 8th.
picture.php

I chose a bit bigger branch size by a node for the host site, it was a bit bigger then the with of the bottom of the scion stem. I split it down the middle maybe 3/8" with an Xacto. Then shaved a bit off of each side of the inside of that split. For what looks like in between a 1/16th and a 1/8th inch little slot. Then I shaved down the sides on the bottom of the scion to pretty much match it. Jammed it in and put some graft tape on it. Only graft tape on this one. No aluminum tape. Put on the misted sammy bag and removed it when it was standing up again with just a bit of that "new green" color to it.
picture.php

Here it is today kickin ass peeking its eyes above the scrog screen. I been lolipoping it to get it above the screen faster. These next three pics were just taken minutes ago just 18 days later. The scion had been growing nicely already for almost a week I think, at least 5 days.
picture.php

Here is the site all healed up, I just took the graft tape off and snapped a picture of the stem. You can see some bright green scar tissue stuff around there but that site grew together real nice. almost hard to tell a graft took place there.
picture.php

Here is a horrible blurry upside down picture of the other side of that graft site lol. You can tell it's the branch that is coming toward the camera and getting blurry. you can see that bright green scar tissue and indent around where the site is.
picture.php

This is pretty much how I just did all those grafts onto the Tangelo host MOMF. We'll see how they all do. A lot of the one's I just did had pretty much equal branch thickness at the site. On a few of them the host branch was a bit thicker. I'm thinking this shape/method is probably better because there is maybe a bit more surface area contact. Also when you are squeezing the graft tape on tight over the site it's tightening the host branch around the little insert of the scion. I clean the xacto then find my scion and lop it off a good inch below where I think I want to make my shape, which is usually just below a node and medium hardness. Not to soft, and not wood. Then I find the site on my host and cut it right where I'm gonna carve into it. Split the host about 3/8" down the middle. Dig my little slit out of it with the Xacto. Make a fresh cut on the scion and promptly whittle it into a little notch, matching it as close as possible to slit, stick it in and wrap it up. I've been putting aluminum tape on all of them after the graft tape to help secure and stabilize the sites. Then the misted sammy bag. Hope that helps. Thanks for coming along!

Amynamous - Thank you! It's funny that you say that. I slapped together a little stealth box for a B-Day present for a buddy of mine just two days ago. There is a very awesome detail about this stealth grow box I made for him that I will not disclose until I try to get that intellectual property protected, heh. I was going to post pictures of it in fact until Him and I started riffing about how we might mass produce the boxes and sell them nation wide. After getting the idea/design protected of coarse. Assuming no one else has already done it.

Last edited:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
FWIW Skunkman posted a picture of a plant he had half and half, veg/flower but no elaborate barrier, in his greenhouse as I recall...

Cantharellus

Very nice experiment. Chunky thats the thing about Sam, he gives you crumbs most of the time. I wonder how he did it without barriers. Probably some type of spray I am guessing.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Huh.... Yeahhh I was just about to say cool that means this should work... but then I read Cantharellus post and that made me thing how would that work with out a light barrier? I guess even if there was some spray used... if the plant is able to have both cycles separately on it I'm thinking it should work then.

We'll see soon enough any whoo. Thanks guys. :wave:

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Looks like tinkering almost niche advertising rather than production growing, interesting cheers :tiphat:
You don't have to do that to fit some arbitrary four plant rule it is way more efficient to grow more plants. Your choice.

Fitzera

Huh.... Yeahhh I was just about to say cool that means this should work... but then I read Cantharellus post and that made me thing how would that work with out a light barrier? I guess even if there was some spray used... if the plant is able to have both cycles separately on it I'm thinking it should work then.

We'll see soon enough any whoo. Thanks guys. :wave:

What about a fast flowering type grafted onto an equatorial sativa?! The host wouldnt flower but the grafts would potentially?!

The other thought that popped into my head, in case your experiment doesnt work...you could keep 3 mothers and graft those 3 strains to a host for flowering...you wouldnt get 4 types but you could stay within your legal parameters. Food for thought

methias

Thanks ScrogMonster,
that should help with my grafting efforts. I am going to try adding some Alien OG to Judy two tone with #2. :tiphat:

I'll get what pics I can. I have a second VOG that I can try on as well but to flower, not mom.

Keep up the great work

vape on kids

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Art.spliff - Yeah I would love to grow more plants. If I didn't care whether my indoor grow was technically legal or not then I would probably jam two tiers per tent with one gal pots. SOG is my favorite and that's what I'd be doing if I was willing to take the risk on the 1% chance that law enforcement ends up at my place at some point and that they cared enough to bust me for being over the legal personal recreational 4 plant count. Just one more plant over that 4 is punishable up to 6 months in jail. Chances that would happen are super slim but I'm a single father of two kids so it's a chance I'm not willing to take. One day my new gf and I will both have medical cards and written consent from a property owner at a different place or be in a house that we own and then we'd legally be allowed to have 12 flowering plants and 24 veg plants. Shit as soon as I have the capitol set aside I plan to get a commercial license then I can crank out some sexy SOG flood trays under LED's, and I still might use SIL's! haha.

but for now... hommie don't play that. I've waited half my life to live in a state where I can grow legally with out a worry or care and that day is here and now but only if I keep a 4 plant limit at the moment, so I'll make it work.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by arbitrary four plant rule... Is there some loop hole I don't know about that would get the case thrown out as long as the use-able weight or canopy square footage is under a certain amount? I hope I don't sound offended or defensive here, I'm just explaining my situation and would honestly love to know why the four plant rule might be arbitrary.

Methias - For sure bro. Hope they go smooth for ya.

The branches to be bloomed have done some growing and have just been through some training. I'm thinking at least one more week. Probably won't go more then 10 more days before flipping. I'm gonna flip both tents at the same time so I'm also waiting for the SBR and Peyote Cookies in the next tent over to fill their screens more as well. They should be ready about the same day.

Right side.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Left Side.
picture.php

picture.php

brickweeder

awesome experiment and grafting! Appreciate you posting this...has the potential to change the way things are done.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
ScrogMonster didn't mean to offend you. It looks like you worked a long time on that. You could just put one big plant in the yard and yield more for less money and time like the plant in your signature picture but it's up to you :tiphat: maybe you do not have access to a yard with sun or maybe you are worried about a criminal record either way cheers

Last edited:

ScrogMonster

Veteran
ScrogMonster didn't mean to offend you. It looks like you worked a long time on that. You could just put one big plant in the yard and yield more for less money and time like the plant in your signature picture but it's up to you :tiphat: maybe you do not have access to a yard with sun or maybe you are worried about a criminal record either way cheers

no not offended haha. Okay I see what you mean. I'm just more of a perpetual indoor guy. :) I likes my herb nice and fresh. **IMO** two months after curing is "best by date". The fresher the better IMO. Also I don't have a good space for it in the yard that comes with the house I'm renting.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
awesome experiment and grafting! Appreciate you posting this...has the potential to change the way things are done.

Thanks Brickweeder! I agree if it works with out a hitch there is definitely a whole lot of potential for efficiency and SOG style staggered grows scale-able to very large sizes using only one plant. Imagine an enormous octagon with a giant tree in the middle kept in veg where each wall of the octagon is like 4ft x 6-7ft with a full canopy on the other side. 8 different strains grafted onto it with thick main branches leading toward their perspective walls... maybe a giant hydro tree for easy root pruning or huge organic no till cube of soil, preferably with air pruning sites through out the sides and sub irrigation.

Or maybe just a bonsai mom in a micro cab version where some one passes one branch per week through a wall for nice little perpetual personal stash.

If it works smoothly I'll most likely convert my other tent some how but I want to figure out how to have two horizontal tiers where the branches pass through the "ceiling" instead of the wall and sort of flower in a SOG type formation. mmm yes that's what I want.:dance013:

brickweeder

Then imagine four of those Octagons, each with 8 different grafted strains, and you're in legal business with 32 strains of variety.

brickweeder

:laughing: too much work! One Octagon sounds fun, four sounds exhausting and too time consuming! at least for me.
True, lots of work. But since we are just imagining until your experiment bears fruit...might as well imagine full legal bore...

I really hope it works. It would be great to only use one plant limit slot with an octagon to experiment with crosses, and still have multiple slots left over to work with. Plus, it would be a time saver to not have to run through full female plant cycles to cube or make multiple sequential crosses. fingers crossed!

ScrogMonster

Veteran
True, lots of work. But since we are just imagining until your experiment bears fruit...might as well imagine full legal bore...

I really hope it works. It would be great to only use one plant limit slot with an octagon to experiment with crosses, and still have multiple slots left over to work with. Plus, it would be a time saver to not have to run through full female plant cycles to cube or make multiple sequential crosses. fingers crossed!

Okay fine as long as I'm just imagining the work and not actually doing it ;) I hadn't thought of breeding applications. I need to learn more about breeding I'd love to try my hand at that one day. I just can't get over growing flowers haha. :plant grow: