What's new

Pose2B clone grow by Onavelzy

onavelzy

Veteran
State of the tent and grow world

State of the tent and grow world

I have two strains of plants in the tent. Three 2g airpots of Loompa's Yeti Fuel and five of Ace Seed's Malawi. They are all at day 53 since flipping to 12/12

The Yetis quit their stretch very early. I am presuming they objected to me going to an 11/13 light cycle to try and force the Malawi's into showing flowers. One plant made it to about 40-42 inches, one made it to about 39 and the smallest one, the one in the front middle, is probably only around 32 inches--it never made it to the canopy.

I am now about ten days into a pure RO water flush of the Yetis. So far they haven't shown a hint of leaf color change.

picture.php

picture.php

We'll see how that goes. Not much you can do except keep turning the lights on.

The Malawi's are the adventure girls.

I have one phenotype that stopped stretching around week 4 1/2. It also has flowered out some nice looking leads. The main lead is very close to the bulb, within a couple of inches

The other plants are still stretching I guess. I have one plant in the back corner that is at least eight inches above the light and is almost hitting the roof of the tent, which is 7' 9" tall.

picture.php

A couple of the Malawis, like the one above, have developed claw like leaves near the top. One of the folks in a Malawi thread it looks like they're getting too much iron. Could be that or too much heat?

I have about 10 gallons left in my current rez fill. Next fill up, I'll drop the amount of the V+B Bloom I add.

They are all also just now beginning to set flowering sites. I wouldn't say they are filling in but they may well do so, if they'd just quit going up.

Here's a view through the side window. Yes, in the lower right, that's a couple of the taller buds of my best Yeti. The higher of the two pvc pipes is at 4' 3". The lower one is at 3'. I had defoliated below 3 ft after three weeks of flower.

picture.php

Here's the view above the 4' 3" tier:

picture.php

Given the density above the uppermost tier, I was wondering if there would be any reason to defoliate between the two tiers?

I've been trying to provide a lot of air movement in the tent because we found one nug at the last harvest that had some bud rot. I'm still not using a dehumidifier to control humidity. I've just been venting with fans and keeping the door and side window part way open during lights on. I just don't have fans tall enough to let me get good air flow way up there. My main intake fan blows into 6" venting along the edges of the ceiling that has outflow gaps cut every foot or so.

I was hoping to finish the Yetis so I could focus on the issues with the Malawis getting so tall. The Yetis are having none of that though. I think they're mad at the Malawis for stealing all of the light, so they are staying put until the Malawis all get so tall they burn themselves to death

onavelzy

Veteran
Odds and ends

Odds and ends

I had been adding Z7 to my rez with each fresh reload of nutes. I had read on another thread that it's an enzymatic that helps break down the build up of biofilm in the rez and in the root zone. If present and untreated, it can lead to a bio-slime build up in the pots that can choke the root system.

Despite that precaution, I noticed when I did my recent refill that the floor and walls of the rez had a slimy feel. So today, I dumped what was left and gave the rez a scrubbing with H202, then did a wipedown of the rez, pump, tubing and cord with alcohol.

I'll have to ask if the Z7 is really helping the folks I got the suggestion from. My current bottles are almost empty. If it's not really doing much, I don't see a reason to keep buying it.

A week or so ago, I found I had let thrips get pretty well established in my veg area. There was some very minimal impact on some of the leaves in the main tent. I treated the main tent once with a spinosad spray down just before lights out. In the veg closet, I got rid of some moms left over from my first grow. They showed the most leaf changes. I had two clones of each of my current plants in the flowering tent. I kept the best looking one for each plant and dumped the others. It's getting easier to kill plants now. I'd have given them away if I didn't need them, but with thrips or anything else wrong, they're going to the big compost pile in the sky. I've treated the remaining clones twice with Spinosad spray

I'm going to mix up a larger bucket with Azamite and do a dunk of each of the clones and probably also do one more spinosad spray down. Once I get the Yetis out of the tent, I can look at doing another Spinosad in there. With more room to move around, it should be a more effective application too.

I'll update on the thrips as time goes by. Right now, no clear signs of progression. The upper leaves that were not involved still aren't, nor is newer growth. Here's a current view of the Yet; and Malawi clones:

picture.php

I had two full banks of 11 LED bulbs, a combo of 8 W and 13 W (i think that's what they are). I've now turned off every other one to minimize temps in there until we get past this aberrant heat and humidity pattern.

I hoping to get some pollen soon from a land race Sativa from Southeast Asia. If it gets here healthy, I'll probably try to learn pollination skills with some of the Malawis.

I may get some other plants to try soon. I've been trying for some time to track down GG4 from a first or second degree source but I think the strain has moved out of most peoples hands now. In the mean time, I've got a bit of an African Fubar to work on. And a harvest of the Yet's, if they'll ever show signs of flushing.

onavelzy

Veteran
Box!

Box!

picture.php

Trainwreck
picture.php

Firestorm
picture.php

OGKB 2.0
picture.php

A generous grower, who I will prefer to keep anonymous, sent me some cuts to let me try my hand at growing premium strains.

Thank you again. I appreciate your trust and your generosity. I'll do my best to approach what you have done as a grower and a community member.

I've got those rascals under a dome to root. I've had pretty good success with the approach I've used. I've only had two plants not root, out of close to fifty cuts run. I think that's been more a function of the hardiness of the plants rather than my skills though. I had a couple of close calls with the plugs drying out. I don't have an aerocloner. I've read that Clone King is a good value. No one I can find in my area stocks it. Only the Turboclone, which is approx 2x money wise. I think some had EZClone versions. I'll look at ordering a Clone King online ($65) for the next time I root clones.

If I get a good strike rate on these, I'll probably start a new thread and let this one go to bed.

onavelzy

Veteran
D 63, Malawis and Yetis

D 63, Malawis and Yetis

I've been flushing the three Yeti plants for almost 3 weeks. So far, there is not a hint of fade in the leaf color. They look the same as they did 10 days ago in the post above (#261). What to do? I don't want them to go too long but I don't want to make shitty, harsh weed either.

I'm wondering if the tall Malawi's have shaded out enough light that the Yet's aren't doing much metabolizing to use up the chemicals in their leaves.

I'll probably cut down the smallest of the three tonight. My son wants to try it before he goes back east in a couple of weeks to begin work. That'll give me an idea of where things are at.

How can they get no nutrients for nearly 3 weeks and stay green?

I'm open to advice here if anyone comes by.

onavelzy

Veteran
State of the Yetis

State of the Yetis

I pulled the smallest Yeti, #2.

picture.php

It's a pretty miserable yield but it's what there was. This version was the smallest of the three. It probably ended up smaller than it's potential due to the over arching Malawis. Survival of the fittest.

Here's the other two Yetis, showing only a leaf or two with faint yellowing after 20 days of pure RO water.

Yeti #5
picture.php

Yeti #1
picture.php

I took the Malawis that were getting scorched and topped off the damaged areas then bent them out laterally and tied them to the frame.

they're starting to fill in a bit. Different structure than the one that flowered more quickly but we'll see how they look once they've had a chance to do their thing.

picture.php

I'm hoping the heat stress from the light doesn't trigger any pollen sac development. Trying to keep a lookout but it's a little dense and tough to get back there.

This certainly won't be an aesthetically pleasing round of growing but the learning continues

Tangwena

Veteran
They look great from here, its always a mission growing those sativas under lights but so worth the time and effort.

onavelzy

Veteran
They look great from here, its always a mission growing those sativas under lights but so worth the time and effort.

Hi Tangwena!

Despite feeling inept, I'm loving every day of it. These plants just want to grow! There's many things I would do differently but the learning has been invaluable.

Thanks for coming by from time to time

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
I took the Malawis that were getting scorched and topped off the damaged areas then bent them out laterally and tied them to the frame.

they're starting to fill in a bit. Different structure than the one that flowered more quickly but we'll see how they look once they've had a chance to do their thing.

I'm hoping the heat stress from the light doesn't trigger any pollen sac development. Trying to keep a lookout but it's a little dense and tough to get back there.

This certainly won't be an aesthetically pleasing round of growing but the learning continues

Good work Ona. You're right about the sativas not being pretty after flopping them all over the place - Ace Pure Purple Haze around week 24:
picture.php

With big spindly sativas - after you've run through your second screen, bending them and tying is about all you've got left to keep them contained. I wouldn't worry about the stress freaking them out, they're usually pretty forgiving. Just keep an eye out over the next few weeks and as you pull Yetis out, you can use that space to spread them out a bit for a bit more room off the light.

Keep the updates coming, looking like you're about half done on the Malawis - how many weeks in are they now?

onavelzy

Veteran
Good work Ona. You're right about the sativas not being pretty after flopping them all over the place - Ace Pure Purple Haze around week 24:
View Image

With big spindly sativas - after you've run through your second screen, bending them and tying is about all you've got left to keep them contained. I wouldn't worry about the stress freaking them out, they're usually pretty forgiving. Just keep an eye out over the next few weeks and as you pull Yetis out, you can use that space to spread them out a bit for a bit more room off the light.

Keep the updates coming, looking like you're about half done on the Malawis - how many weeks in are they now?

Hi Terpene,
LOL, same as the itty bitty yetis, day 65 now. I was hoping to be able to spread the plants out after I take the yetis down but I'll probably have to cut out the lowest netting to do so.

Aspenou812

Veteran
View Image

Good thing they dont have to be pretty... to smack your head around... love a good sativa high... :tiphat:

onavelzy

Veteran
Good thing they dont have to be pretty... to smack your head around... love a good sativa high... :tiphat:

OMG Aspen, that was such a flail of a grow. I was posting updates on the ACE Malawi thread and after looking at my end result, the main guy from ACE seeds gently pointed out that maybe it was not the plant for me. I ended up just bubble hashing most of the flowers. I only got 11 g if that tells you anything about how the grow went. I don't have to worry about decarboxylating it though. It got so fried by growing into the lights that it's probably already converted.

Tried to rep you but I have such a low allocation I can never do it as much as I'd like. Thx for popping in. It's pretty dead here. I finally posted on Nameless' roots contest thread though.

I've got a tent of Dan's goods going now. I do NOT want to F that up.

Aspenou812

Veteran
OMG Aspen, that was such a flail of a grow. I was posting updates on the ACE Malawi thread and after looking at my end result, the main guy from ACE seeds gently pointed out that maybe it was not the plant for me. I ended up just bubble hashing most of the flowers. I only got 11 g if that tells you anything about how the grow went. I don't have to worry about decarboxylating it though. It got so fried by growing into the lights that it's probably already converted.

Tried to rep you but I have such a low allocation I can never do it as much as I'd like. Thx for popping in. It's pretty dead here. I finally posted on Nameless' roots contest thread though.

Then rock that shit....

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran

you'll be fine ! they're all easy to grow , need very little care to get the best out of them . & you have the best of both worlds ! ATW for a daytime smoke , 2.0 for sleep & the FS is just a nice all around kick in the head :biggrin:

onavelzy

Veteran
You will be crowded with that many that close.... But you got this Ona

I know. I had these plants that were at the point of either flower them or throw them out. They had some severe misuse early on, shortly after I got them. I got way over-ambitious in my anti-fingal, anti-mitocidal treatment and they let me know about it. I took clones but decided to grow these out anyway. I figured I could test after harvest to see whether there were any residual agents in the final product. I debated just throwing them out after the clones took root, but I just don't like doing that so at a minimum, I'll know how persistent the agents are. It's been a long assed time though so I really doubt there's detectable residual stuff

onavelzy

Veteran
you'll be fine ! they're all easy to grow , need very little care to get the best out of them . & you have the best of both worlds ! ATW for a daytime smoke , 2.0 for sleep & the FS is just a nice all around kick in the head :biggrin:

Yeah, the fam is already asking how much longer, lol. Thanks again Dan.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know. I had these plants that were at the point of either flower them or throw them out. They had some severe misuse early on, shortly after I got them. I got way over-ambitious in my anti-fingal, anti-mitocidal treatment and they let me know about it. I took clones but decided to grow these out anyway. I figured I could test after harvest to see whether there were any residual agents in the final product. I debated just throwing them out after the clones took root, but I just don't like doing that so at a minimum, I'll know how persistent the agents are. It's been a long assed time though so I really doubt there's detectable residual stuff

most any pesticide residue , even the harsh ones like Avid are gone after 45 to 50 days from spraying .

onavelzy

Veteran
OGKB 2.0, Arcata Trainwreck, Firestorm, D 20 (flip 11/27, best recollection)

OGKB 2.0, Arcata Trainwreck, Firestorm, D 20 (flip 11/27, best recollection)

I somehow forgot to edit in the pictures of my current grow. I'll make a couple of comments and then show where they are.

THis episode was a while in coming. I got the cuts sent to me back in early August. They suffered through an early veg period in which they were exposed to too much systemic anti-infectious stuff.

After a replacing the coco and allowing an extended veg, they found their feet and grew out pretty well. I took a number of cuts to grow out. It had been so long since I had treated them and had been since July and August that I had harvested anything, I decided to go ahead and flower these moms.

There's six OGKB 2.0's, three Firestorms [WiFi 43 x GG4 (r)], and three Trainwrecks, Arcata cut.

They started out a little uneven in canopy height with the FS's being the shorter over all. They re pretty comparable now.

I did a moderate lower 1/2 trim last week. I'll give them another week to 10 d to see how much more stretch there is, then see about another defoliation of stuff that's below the canopy.

I set the original canopy PVC at around 38 inches. a couple are a little above that but there's still time to put on the trellis without struggling.

My delay is that I haven't done as well with the auto-watering this go round. some leaks at the connectors and a couple of pots getting minimal flow. I'll pull all the plants out one more time but if I can't solve it soon, I'll have to put in the trellis netting, making any future irrigation changes that much harder to do. My daughter is around and says she wants to help so that will make that feasible when I can't be there.

ok, enough blabbing. Pics. I just missed the lights n so they don't look as good as flash shots might. And i generally suck at pics.

Tent view:

picture.php

the frame is at about 38 " from the bottom of the tray.

ATW (right side):

picture.php

picture.php

Firestorm (middle right column):

picture.php

picture.php