What's new

Pose2B clone grow by Onavelzy

onavelzy

Veteran
Day 27 photo dump

Day 27 photo dump

Overview of the tent just before lights on:

picture.php

My apologies for the fuzzy pic. Still learning the nuances of tent photography in the dark, My veg area is about two feet from the tent door so I can't get back far enough to get a good global view.

Arcata Trainwreck:

picture.php

Firestorm (Wifi 43 x GG4 (r)):

picture.php

OGKB 2.0:

picture.php

I'm a little disappointed in the amount of trichromes tbh.

The plants also haven't stretched as much I expected. I'm attributing that to the roots still feeling the effects of the earlier excessive exposure to the anti-microbials. Could be other climate and cultural short comings too.

On the bright side, the plants are making visible change on a daily basis.

We'll see how I and they do in the next 45-ish days

Happy Holidays everyone. Stay safe and have a great 2018

Aspenou812

Veteran
Merry Christmas Ona... hope you and your family are having a great Day....
and congrats on the roots WIN....

onavelzy

Veteran
Thanks to everyone for the holiday messages and greetings

Thanks to everyone for the holiday messages and greetings

Just a couple of pics to add.

First, I put in three power strips along the edges of the tent to fill in where the light from the 630DE may not be reaching as well. Each strip has ten 14.5 W bulbs, giving the tent a total of about 1050 W. The temp went up a couple of degrees but nothing bad.

The lights don't look like much in the photo but they are really bright. The added LED bulbs noticably amped up the tent lumen volume

picture.php

Here's an under canopy view of the Trainwreck that runs along the right side of the tray. It's has a very open structure, unlike the other two. I expected a lot more stretch from it. It is stacking up a bit better than the other two strains though.

ATW, D 29

picture.php

I cleaned out the res and refilled it. I opted to go up on my feeds to an EC of 1.5 based on some comments in a couple of other threads that indicated a lot of LED lighting can lead to plants appearing underfed. These folks indicated the plants seemed to handle EC's of 1.8 with no burning of the leaf tips, etc. I'll ease my way up and see how it goes.

In the veg area, I have some GG4 from Grizz that I have in rockwool trying to get roots. I also have some cuts cooking that were taken from the Cornbread Bubba he passed along. He said he found out it was a pheno called Beach City Cornbread and was selected by a local SD grower who happened to have donated me one of the plants I used in my first grow, Kaya. I'll ask GT about the CBub at our next San Diego's Finest get together in a few weeks.

I have some strains from another grower in quarantine, so I'll defer any commentary until they clear the Q.

Right now, two of the GG4's are looking pretty punky. Not sure if they'll be able to join the party. When I first got them, I sprayed them with a mixture of a fungicide and a pesticide as a preventative. Since I am required to perform at least one newb FU per batch of plants, the spray I used was one I mixed up back in Sept. I just kept the left-over solution up in the poison cupboard since I didn't want to have to dispose of it.

The GG4 cubes started to get a green layer on top at around d7. Three had roots, two had what looked like imminent roots and the weakest one with the most green stuff on the surface of the cube had no signs of roots. I figured out that I had probably just sprayed them with water and broken down, ineffective antimicrobials, allowing some kind of mold to grow. I mixed up a fresh batch and sprayed the surfaces of the plants and even did a quick dunk of the cubes. Then I up-potted all of them into cups.

If it can be done wrong, I can do it!

Have a great New Year folks.

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
looking good ona. with the supplemental LEDs, did you consider popping the protective covers off?

hopefully those glues bounce back for ya and those you have quarantined don't end up contagious :biggrin:

onavelzy

Veteran
looking good ona. with the supplemental LEDs, did you consider popping the protective covers off?

hopefully those glues bounce back for ya and those you have quarantined don't end up contagious :biggrin:

I did, but there is minimal spread of the light without the covers and they are meant to fill in areas of the tent.

onavelzy

Veteran
I stand corrected

I stand corrected

I based my response to you on a misrembering of the data that Blynx posted in his great thread on using LED bulbs.

He measures light output in lux for a number of different bulbs, mainly comparing CFL bulbs to LED bulbs both with the lens attached and also when it had been removed. He measured with the light 12 inches direcly over a light meter, then at that height but with the light meter moved 12 inches to the side. He then also measured the out put directly below the light with the meter 6 inches and then 3 inches form the light source.

I knew the LED bulbs significantly outperformed the CFL's but I had thought there was a difference in the lateral measurements comparing the bulbs with covers and without. It turns out they are pretty much the same at the 12 inch height.

Given that similarity, I will practice on removing the caps and see if I can get them popped without slicing my fingers to ribbons. If I can achieve that, I'll replace the lens from the tents bulbs.

Terpene has suggested to me several times that I make that change but I had resisted, thinking there was potential advantage to diffusing the light, even if it meant a mild to moderate loss of overall output. If I remember (long odds), I'll do a light dispersion measurement test of the bulbs, capped and uncapped at various heights and lateral distances in the tent after I empty it when this run is done

how-to-deal-with-stubborn-kids-childhood-education.jpg

Words, words, words. Nobody wants words.

Photo dump, D31

Another fuzzy tent view, just before lights on

picture.php

Arcata Trainwreck

picture.php

Firestorm

picture.php

OGKB 2.0 pic sucked, too blurry. I'll repeat in AM at lights out or redo tomorrow evening

onavelzy

Veteran
I stand corrected

I stand corrected

D 31 photo dump, page 2

front right TW cluster of tops

picture.php

In the upper left of that photo, you can see my weird FS with its yellowing leaves.

Here it is in iso:

picture.php

For some reason it is about a foot taller than the other FS clones as well as all the other plants in the tent. It is also the only plant that is yellowing. I bumped up the feed this res fill to an EC of 1.5. I have been putting a tablespoon of Epsom salts per 5 gallons of res water.

With respect to the overall grow, the plants as a group are definitely shorter than I expected based on prior threads about them. In the first tent photo in the post above, the frame for the upcoming trellis is at 38" from the floor. The taller FS is the only plant that has really broken above that level. I'll probably need to pull the caps off of the PVC post and cut them down 4-6 inches. Then I'll have to try to finagle getting the netting in and thread the tallest plants through as best I can.

I need to make a final attempt at fixing my irrigation system this weekend. I'll pull all of the plants from the tent, put in my tubing for the irrigation. I'll probably do a defoliation of the lower half of the plants since they don't seem to be growing upwards noticeably. I'll then put in tallest plants from each strain along the back and then put in the trellis netting. After I get the tops weaved through, I'll fill in the rest of the plants one by one. I'll connect the pots to the irrigation loop as I put them back in place. If I get a reasonable flow from all 12, I'll be happy. Hopefully I won't cause too much damage in all of that

onavelzy

Veteran
Odds and Ends night: netting, irrigation, defoliation and ....

Odds and Ends night: netting, irrigation, defoliation and ....

no one minds words, grow looks good so far ona :tiphat:

Thank you ABITA. Kind words. Hope the new kids on the block are doing ok.

I decided to finally get my ass in gear and do some things that had to get done.

I needed to get my trellis netting in because a couple of plants are tall enough that they will need it if their colas come in well. I also badly needed to get in an irrigation system that I could hook up to a timer to auto-water.

I usually have a high motivation to do these kinds of things but lately, by evening when the lights come on, I just am out of energy and the plans go out the window.

I started by pulling out all 12 plants and giving the tray a quick clean. I decided to cut the height of the trellis supports by 6 inches, so the trellis frame is now at 32 inches from the floor of the tray.

I was bugged by the one plant that was showing yellowing. I thought I saw it in another plant too. I have been hand watering up to now, usually once a day, but watering to a moderate run-off.

I decided to check the EC and pH of my run off when I watered each plant while it was on my desk for inspection and defoliation. Badness. I have been feeding at an EC of 1.3 and a pH of 5.8 to 6.1.

The pot run-offs EC's were in the 3-4 range. One was 'only' 2.8. The pH's were around 5.1. Somewhat inhospitable conditions. No clue why I haven't checked any of those parameters since they went in the tent. I was ridiculously compulsive about it for most of my first two grows. I guess I figured those grows were pretty stable the whole time so no need to do all that checking this time. Doh!

I flushed each 3L pot with 2 gallons of flowering nutes that I diluted down to an EC of 0.5. By the last of the 2 gallons each pot was around an EC of 0.7 to 0.8.

I know this is boring as all get out but I need to put it down for me to look back on later so skip it if you'd like to do something more fun and haven't already left.

As I was flushing the plants I did a moderate defoliation. I did an initial one at around week 2.5 I think. I'll have to go back and look. Today is D 32.

After doing those things, I started assembling my irrigation system. I had tried using the quick fit fittings I used last grow but the connectors I used to start the lines out to the pots were leaking and some of the pots weren't getting much water. I shit-canned that system a couple of weeks ago and switched to hand watering while I dithered and dallied about what approach to try.

I finally just used 1/2" vinyl tubing in a loop with a short branch of 1/2" tubing going to each pot using a T connector. I put the tallest plants of each strain in the back of the tent and then started laying the trellis netting. I got the one with 3 1/2 inch holes. It took a bit to get the taller plants through. Lowering the trellis height made it so most of the plants now had most of the leads going through the netting. I only bent one stem. I duct taped it back and it looks ok for now.

I then started filling in the rest of the pots and eventually got them all in, shortest ones in the front near the door.

Here's how it all looks:

Defoliated plants and the looped irrigation system:

picture.php

top view of the trellis netting with the plants in place:

picture.php

A couple of points about why's and wherefore's,

Why did I run 1/2 tubing to each pot? Because the Hydro store I went to didn't have 3/8" tubing or connectors that made a 1/2 to 3/8 reduction, which would have been ideal. If I had planned at all or did any of this a few weeks ago when it should have been done, I would have had more appropriate sized tubing for these pots.

As long as the system puts out a reasonable amount of water to all of the plants, I'm ok with it as it is. I can find better sized stuff later and replace this setup without that much low crawling and Twister playing in the tent under the netting. I'll test the output at lights-on later tonight.

Why do I have those dorky green things on the pots? To hopefully allow more spread of the water around the top of the coco. One or two direct lines to a pot will give a reasonable spread through diffusion if you water slowly enough but if you struggle with stuff and end up with faster flow, you can get uneven distribution of the water and nutes and waste a lot out the bottom of the pot trying to get full coverage.

Why did I not get this all done earlier and not check on the pH and EC of the medium sooner? Because I am a stupid head.

382b2a8d8238c958c70034e0df4be2f1--life-change-quotes-life-lesson-quotes.jpg

Why am i still awake? Fuck if I know. Too late to go to bed now. I guess I'm a lights on kinda guy

onavelzy

Veteran

Thx for the friendly bump ABITA. I've been getting out of work late most days so the lights are already on when I get home. That makes it hard to get those flash pics that highlight the trichromes and make the buds look better than they do in real life/light.

I'm at Day 44 right now, so I should be able to start flushing with pure RO come Monday. I'll try to get a light off or on pic of each strain to see if anyone thinks I should go sooner or later. I can hook up a separate rez with just H20 to one strain if needed.

Hope everyone's grow is growing well and that the outside temps are getting less lethal, if not pleasant

Latest posts

Latest posts