What's new

Pose2B clone grow by Onavelzy

onavelzy

Veteran
Hey Ona
Looking good. I know you've been trying to figure out timing for harvest. I applaud you pulling the trigger. Not because I can tell your herb is perfectly ready but because you've made a decision....you'll learn from it good or bad. I'm willing to bet that everything you've grown will get you lifted. There will almost certainly be room for improvement but from the looks of what you've shown you could have done a hell of a lot worse.
As long as you avoided (and continue to avoid through the drying process) molds/ mildews, and didn't load your girls up with chemicals I would rather smoke your herb than something from a dispensary. I'd know your herb was grown with care!

Hey GT, that's sort of the highest praise in my book. In my work, the people I train, I tell them that, imo, the single factor that most determines if they will excel at their job is the ability to make a decision. I say that knowing full well I was blatantly indecisive at many stages in this grow.

As to the quality of the buds with respect to invaders, I'll put up a pic later of one of the Kaya buds. It got fairly dried out a couple of days ago and looked crispy and slightly brown when we cleaned off the branches this evening after harvesting the plant. It's the only one that appeared that way, although there were a couple of brown dried fan leaves too

Last edited:

onavelzy

Veteran
All over but the shouting...., and the clean up

All over but the shouting...., and the clean up

Everything is hacked, chopped, semi-trimmed and hung to dry.

The tent after the last plant came down. So much room now!!

picture.php

the tent about thirty minutes later:

picture.php

I put off the actual cleaning of all the surfaces until tomorrow. Too tired right now.

We found a bud in the Kaya chop that was concerning. I saw some very dry sugar leaves in the bud a few days ago but nothing else. We looked at the other Kaya buds but didn't see anything that looked like this.

Here's how it looked today:

picture.php

Here's a small portion of the bud that broke off. It was very dry. no visible moldiness, no odor, no mushiness to the feel.

picture.php

I'm presuming this is bud rot. If so, do I get rid of the rest of the buds from that plant or just look close when dry trimming and cut out what looks affected? Any advice on how to treat the tent before the next go round? Should I delay using it for the next batch I have in line?

The Kaya buds were pretty much the largest and the most dense. That's surprising because it had kind of a corner position in the tent. Other than the Adub, the rest of the plants, even the GG4's right under the light had buds with far more loose, airy structures, more foxtailing, all that poor bag appeal stuff.

onavelzy

Veteran
I'm having trouble finding a spot in our place that I can dry in. Every place is mid 60's to low 70's RH. That's what worries me in drying: moist cool air. I've got a 9 inch rotating fan down low below the drying space for general local air movement but without any direction towards the hanging branches. I also spread out most if those heavier branches

Last edited:

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you need a dehuey or 2 , but one in the room where the tent is fer sure before next run !
if your going to run AC in the flower room , that should handle lights on RH , but once the lights go out is when the RH climbs & can be hazordous to the buds .
i run 2 , one in my dry room & one in my flower room .

onavelzy

Veteran
Thx Dan. Do you run those using a controller with s humidity gauge to turn on the dehueys at a cut off RH or do you just run them on a set schedule with a recycle timer?

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
My de-hui has an electronic setting. I actually use a humidifier in veg but bring in the de-hui once pistils turn brown. I should of brought it in sooner for my last round. I lost probably a 1/4 oz to bud rot...not horrible but it was one of my prettiest plants till the damn rot took out the central top

onavelzy

Veteran
This is the end

This is the end

I love the song "The End" by the Doors, especially the lead in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4

Everything has been cut, dried, trimmed and jarred up to finish drying and cure.

Looking at pure weight, the harvest looks pretty reasonable, all things considered.

The total dried, trimmed weight was 488g, (17.2 oz), 0.77g/W (that's not counting a good Kaya bud that had budrot and the fairly constant "testing" my son has been doing since the buds starting getting dryer.)

That's also including the Dub tech 7 and one of the GG4's, both of who had very airy, almost feathery "nugs".

The two GG4 clones I grew were different in growth, size and vigor from day one. Their buds are also very different from each other. The one that tended to be larger had nice firm nugs of decent size. The other one, the one directly under the light, was the smallest plant in the tent and the flowers were, in a word, embarrassing. I think we could give them to friends and so forth but i'm thinking of just adding them to the trim pile.

Here's a couple of pics:

Some of the Adub, final tally was 210g

picture.php

A shapely Kaya nug

picture.php

I ran late doing stuff today. I'm out of time and energy right now, so this update will have to do. There's not a whole lot more to add here but I'll try to put in a closing summary as soon I get settled in with the next cycle of plants that I tented recently and that I flipped today.

picture.php

onavelzy

Veteran
Just realized looking at that picture that I put my drainage tray in wrong. I'll need to pull the plants out of there for a couple of other things anyway so no big deal.

onavelzy

Veteran
D 16, Malawi/Yeti Fuel

D 16, Malawi/Yeti Fuel

It's been so long, my thread almost dropped off of my "My Posts" section.

I took what I had harvested to the recent get together that growers in the San Diego Finest Cut's have every couple of months. The grower who gifted me a Kaya clone to start off with checked out what I had, gave a friendly smile and said, "I'm sure it'll be great to smoke." I don't think they looked or smelled like the real strains to him. Either I grew them too poorly and/or they weren't what they were labelled to be.

He pointed out that I had stopped my drying too soon based on the smell and feel of the buds I brought. I've continued with daily burping sessions in which I leave the tops of the jars off for a few hours. I've been using small hygrometers in the jars and Boveda equivalents. in The jars with the hygrometers, I'm around 58-60%, so I quit burping those and will recheck every 4-7 days. I moved the hygrometers into the jars of the leafy stuff and trim to help guide the further drying they need.

I moved the two strains that I had been growing from seed into the tent around the 9th of this month. I let them get used to the new light then flipped them on 6/11. I was able to identify 3/6 of the Yeti Fuel plants as males and one of the Malawis, leaving me with a total of 8 plants in 2 g Airpots with coco, Veg + Bloom nutes

Here's the current view of the tent net, D16, Three Yeti's in the front, 5 Malawis in the back (the net is at 36"):

picture.php

The view under the net:

picture.php

The Malawis showed a pretty fierce Mag deficiency a few weeks ago. I had just doubled the LED light they were getting. Two of the 6 I had then went almost totally yellow. I bumped up the feedings to include additional Epsom salts, a tablespoon per 5 g, and the new growth is showing none of the mag def fading. The two that were the most affected have started stretching more but they're not as far along as the other three.

At the time of the move to the tent, the Yeti's were a little taller as a group than the Malawis but they were really very close to each other. The Malawi's now have the taller expression. There is a shorter Yeti that may or may not make it above the netting but otherwise they're still pretty comparable

The Malawi's also have shown much less flowering than the Yeti plants so I switched to 11/13 light cycle.

Here's some of the Yeti tops today, D16:

picture.php

A few Malawi tops, D16:

picture.php

I think one of the potential mistakes I made the last time was to do too much bending, pinching, training. I think it set some of the plants back a bit. I did a last fim on most of the tops of these plants shortly after I put them in the 2 gallon pots. Other than tucking the leads under the net when they get there and doing a stripping of the lower trunk and stems at around 3 weeks, I'm not planning to do much training on this bunch. That's the plan anyway. I've been warned the Malawis may not play along with my "live and let live" approach. Learning what does and doesn't work and why, that's part of the fun.

onavelzy

Veteran

I'm only running two different strains together this time, so there's not as much variation in the plant heights. It's still a little uneven, definitely not in the Nameless realm of scrogginess. Dude's a master.

Lots and lots of really good growers around here. Good people too. That or I'm just not a good enough grower yet to have earned trolls. Not sure I want to get to that level actually.

Looking forward to doing this seed run. I'll learn a bit about pheno hunting. I know enough about breeding and variation to not expect any home runs but am enough of a magical thinker to believe there will be some kind of grail action. If not, then for sure the next set I run.:woohoo:

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
Awesome- stoked for your next run. I think you ran a pretty good show last time. The only point I remember wanting to stress was that I thought you took a bit much off the bottom. Definitely get some clearance and airflow but remember that even leaves that don't get great light will still produce energy and aid your tops. :)

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
I'm just not a good enough grower yet to have earned trolls.

"Your chart says you're all fucked up. You talk like a fag and your shits all retarded."

Looking good, no surprise to see the Malawis are taking longer to receive the signal to flower. Continue to spread them out under the screen until they develop what looks like a normal bud (3 weeks of development for most plants) and that should be about the end of the stretch.

B4URTIME

I'm only running two different strains together this time, so there's not as much variation in the plant heights. It's still a little uneven, definitely not in the Nameless realm of scrogginess. Dude's a master.

Lots and lots of really good growers around here. Good people too. That or I'm just not a good enough grower yet to have earned trolls. Not sure I want to get to that level actually.

Looking forward to doing this seed run. I'll learn a bit about pheno hunting. I know enough about breeding and variation to not expect any home runs but am enough of a magical thinker to believe there will be some kind of grail action. If not, then for sure the next set I run.:woohoo:

I know the feeling of several strains in one canopy it takes work to keep them all around the same height. Some strains need tied much more often then others.

There is indeed a lot of great growers on Icmag. Were all a work in progress man. No matter how good you get there is always room for progress!

Seed runs are all about the hunt. I'm flipping my seed run this week about 3 weeks later then original planned but they are getting flipped :biggrin: :tiphat:

BUMP FOR UPDATE?

onavelzy

Veteran
I know the feeling of several strains in one canopy it takes work to keep them all around the same height. Some strains need tied much more often then others.

There is indeed a lot of great growers on Icmag. Were all a work in progress man. No matter how good you get there is always room for progress!

Seed runs are all about the hunt. I'm flipping my seed run this week about 3 weeks later then original planned but they are getting flipped :biggrin: :tiphat:

BUMP FOR UPDATE?

Hi B4, thanks for coming by. High praise for your work in that GG4 room.

Yeah, I've gotten pretty lazy with respect to updating my current grow. I may get off early today so after I do some work in the veg area, toppings for clones, trimming moms, etc, I'll show what's happening in my small neck of the Cannabis world.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
I'll learn a bit about pheno hunting. I know enough about breeding and variation to not expect any home runs but am enough of a magical thinker to believe there will be some kind of grail action.

So lets talk about this Ona.

You've got a few Malawi phenos - what do the stems smell like on each one when you rub them? What differences do you see in early development and so far in flower? (Leaves, structure, etc) If any are developing frost yet, how does that smell when rubbed compare to the rubbed stems smell?

As for magical thinking, you may not get the best ever pheno of Malawi - but you're going to do far better than you expect. I have yet to be burned by any seeds I've popped and its the reason I've been such an Ace Seeds fanboy for so many years. I regularly pop 3-4 seeds at a time and grab my favorite of them for home made F2s or crosses (provided the plant checks all or most of the boxes). Remember, all the clones you're working with are typically the elite, hyper selected cut that everyone is going for, so pretty much anything you cross to them is going to rock.

Too many people treat breeding (specifically pollen chucking) as if its rocket science. Kids will generally fall into a bell curve between mom and dad - and if mom and dad are Christy Brinkley and Arnold Schwarzenegger, the kids will probably turn out pretty well.