What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Portable Dabs

mingmen

Boutdablife: glad you got sorted out and are liking it, I was worried I had steered you guys in the wrong direction at first.

Anyways, dont wait on your ohm reader if you wanna get dabbin, Just use the calculator and make a safe coil. As long as its not shorted out you are good to go. 8 Wraps with 24 A1 is pretty good around a 2mm post

and zoinks there is the answer. :tiphat:
what is the calculator though?
Thank you, boutdab! Sorry I missed it the 1st time.

Last edited:

mingmen

At first glance I thought that was a stovetop coil link. Sorry boutdabs - that is a great link. My ohm meter came anyway today but it is still great to understand it better alone.
So we are making parallel dual coils?
I went with Hcigar versions of both the Nemesis and Patriot. Not sure if the hybrid adapter works. Sounds like there is an issue of clones having 20.5 x 5 threads rather than 21 x 5 if I have it right.Almost finished with my first coil - just a slight learning curve and the rest will be way quicker

get a dry piece or a tiny rig. Perhaps a smaller torch. I have tried oil from my 16inch tube (I am not a fan of more volume, more water or diffusion) I like my oil pieces to be as small as possible. I carry mine in a camera case. I have a persie pen....its decent but doesn't hit as hard as a hot nail.

Nice looking home made rigs, talk about turbo charged:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0317[1].JPG
    DSCN0317[1].JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 15

mingmen

Hcigar Patriot gets the thumb down. Center post hole is not big enough to get 2 strands of 24 ga through. Jerry rigged it but just too small I think.
Could I make a coil on this clone with a smaller gauge and with more wraps? Or move up to a 1/8 drill bit for larger diameter? What is my target ohm? Is it 0.5 ohm.
When I plugged in 2mm dual coil for 28 gauge it says 6 wraps. Am I crunching this right?
Ordering the real patriot now but would like to use this POS for something

At first glance I thought that was a stovetop coil link. Sorry boutdabs - that is a great link. My ohm meter came anyway today but it is still great to understand it better alone.
So we are making parallel dual coils?
I went with Hcigar versions of both the Nemesis and Patriot. Not sure if the hybrid adapter works. Sounds like there is an issue of clones having 20.5 x 5 threads rather than 21 x 5 if I have it right.Almost finished with my first coil - just a slight learning curve and the rest will be way quicker

No problem dude! It is an awesome little page that helps out a lot with understanding the concept and being able to know what you are building before its built. Or what to shoot for at least haha.

I usually use the calculator in "Single Coil" mode and just shoot for whatever Ohm I am looking for on a single and then I know I can duplicate it for a dual (1/2 resistance) coils. For some reason when I try to use the calculator in parallel mode or others it gives me odd numbers sometimes. As long as you know Dual = 1/2R of Single, good to go.

As far as the hybrid adapter goes, I don't use it. I find the device small enough already but may grab one of the hybrid deals later on down the road but the 5mm space it will save me in height is really nonexistent to me.

Hcigar Patriot gets the thumb down. Center post hole is not big enough to get 2 strands of 24 ga through. Jerry rigged it but just too small I think.
Could I make a coil on this clone with a smaller gauge and with more wraps? Or move up to a 1/8 drill bit for larger diameter? What is my target ohm? Is it 0.5 ohm.
When I plugged in 2mm dual coil for 28 gauge it says 6 wraps. Am I crunching this right?
Ordering the real patriot now but would like to use this POS for something

Don't discount the clone just yet. The original could have the same size post holes and that will not change a thing no matter how much you pay haha. What a lot of people do is drill out there post holes a little bit bigger. It is kind of tedious but definitely possible with a slightly larger drill bit. I find it crazy thought that you can't even fit 2 piece of 24g? I have 4 pieces of 28g (twisted pairs) stuffed in my TOBH clone with no issue. My 24g is going to be here today so I can play with that finally.

I am not sure our "target" Ohms yet but my current build is at 0.48 and I am enjoying it as well as others that I show it to. It seems to be a nice balance of heat/short rips. Higher resistance coils I was just getting more of a boiling effect like the crappy micro pens which gave me the same flavor too. However that could of been due to my build and or lack of wicking.

Build one, try it out, rip it out, build again, keep playing around until you find a sweet spot and then come share it with us!! haha

BTW -- "When I plugged in 2mm dual coil for 28 gauge it says 6 wraps. Am I crunching this right?" -- What Ohms are you trying to achieve? Important part of that equation ;)

flatslabs

Yeah man I find it strange you cant get 2 strands of 24 gauge through the center post out of the box. I could get 2 strands of 24 gauge through no problem, but like i said I don't know who my patriot is made by.

I drilled out the center post on mine a little and I was able to get 2 twisted strands, so 4 total, of 24 gauge through there.

mingmen

I found it strange too that x2 24 ga would not work. I tried for a long time and could not get anywhere. I saw comparison pics and the hole is indeed smaller than the original. I saw a comment from a user who said dual coils would be a challenge with the clone but he would be able to do it with finesse. He did not mention the gauge though.
I will try drilling it when I find bits small enough - anyone have a clue what diameter would be appropriate? I can do that with a handheld drill? I don't need a drill press?
The build I made was 0.48 but the button started to get hot when firing so I gave up on it tlll I can get the wires correctly situated - either by drill or smaller gauge. Sounds like it could be either a short in the build or a problem with the switch but I will assume it is the build at this point.

mingmen

So plugging in 2mm diameter with 28 ga A1 with 0.5 resistance - it gives me a target of 3 wraps for a single coil.
Does that mean I do a dual coil with 6 wraps each to approximate that build? I get a little confused by the resistance and not sure I am using the calculator right.

mingmen

I ordered a real patriot but I can get 28 or 26 ga locally and would like to try it out while waiting for delivery. It seemed like the 24 ga would fit so I tried a long time but it just bent and never went through. Or maybe drilling will solve with the right diameter bit. I am thinking I will need a bit from a hobby shop instead of home depot.

mingmen

get a dry piece or a tiny rig. Perhaps a smaller torch. I have tried oil from my 16inch tube (I am not a fan of more volume, more water or diffusion) I like my oil pieces to be as small as possible. I carry mine in a camera case. I have a persie pen....its decent but doesn't hit as hard as a hot nail.

Nice looking home made rigs, talk about turbo charged:biggrin:

Looking for a pendy for festivals next year. I thought it seemed stupid until I saw how convenient it is at Chalice festival.

mingmen

am I right in looking for a bit between 1/16 to 5/64?
[YOUTUBEIF]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8S06k1NyqA[/YOUTUBEIF]
this guy does it with a 0.075" bit

I found it strange too that x2 24 ga would not work. I tried for a long time and could not get anywhere. I saw comparison pics and the hole is indeed smaller than the original. I saw a comment from a user who said dual coils would be a challenge with the clone but he would be able to do it with finesse. He did not mention the gauge though.
I will try drilling it when I find bits small enough - anyone have a clue what diameter would be appropriate? I can do that with a handheld drill? I don't need a drill press?
The build I made was 0.48 but the button started to get hot when firing so I gave up on it tlll I can get the wires correctly situated - either by drill or smaller gauge. Sounds like it could be either a short in the build or a problem with the switch but I will assume it is the build at this point.

I am not certain the bit size off the top of my head, but if you have one of the standard kits with a wide range of sizes, just go to the small end and see what appears to be almost identical and maybe step it up one size as long as it is still thinner than the post itself... you don't want really thin walls on the post and make it fragile.

I think you are right there is probably a short of some sort that is making the heat. It should not be heating up the button at that Ohm. Make sure the set screws are very firmly in there and holding the wires as tight as you can without busting them.

So plugging in 2mm diameter with 28 ga A1 with 0.5 resistance - it gives me a target of 3 wraps for a single coil.
Does that mean I do a dual coil with 6 wraps each to approximate that build? I get a little confused by the resistance and not sure I am using the calculator right.

If you want an overall build of 0.5 Ohms, you will want to create 2 Single 1.0 Ohm coils.

A 1.0 Ohm coil with 28g at 2mm diameter is indeed 6 wraps. So you would create 2 of those, and when connected in a dual setup, would take the overall Ohms down to 0.5

I find it easier to set your target Ohms to the actual single coil (1.0) if you already know you are going to dual it and cut it in half (0.5). But either way works!

I ordered a real patriot but I can get 28 or 26 ga locally and would like to try it out while waiting for delivery. It seemed like the 24 ga would fit so I tried a long time but it just bent and never went through. Or maybe drilling will solve with the right diameter bit. I am thinking I will need a bit from a hobby shop instead of home depot.

If you would rather not drill it out, and wait for the new one to arrive -- yeah go ahead and grab some 28g and see what you can wrap up and get that thing dabbing!!

Home depot should have a correct size bit I would think, definitely get a strong one that is made for drilling metals

flatslabs

Yeah I dont remember, I would think 1/16th or 1/8th would be what I used. I have a dewalt titanium bit set that you can get at home depot for like 20 bucks that comes in a range of sizes up to 1/2 inch that fit in a standard size drill.

I do have a drill press, but I just clamped it to my bench and used a cordless drill.

flatslabs

Also, my button does heat up sometimes but usually only if I fire too long.
If your button is heating up right away, its probably a short of some type? If you are using stainless mesh in the wick make sure you torch it before you use it as its electrically conductive until you oxidize it.

mingmen

Also, my button does heat up sometimes but usually only if I fire too long.
If your button is heating up right away, its probably a short of some type? If you are using stainless mesh in the wick make sure you torch it before you use it as its electrically conductive until you oxidize it.

That mesh thing could be it. I torched one but then just hit the other with a lighter.
Do you just roll the mesh as thin as you can and kind of thread it through the coils? I wasn't sure if I was getting enough inside or if it doesn't matter much.

mingmen

If you would rather not drill it out, and wait for the new one to arrive -- yeah go ahead and grab some 28g and see what you can wrap up and get that thing dabbing!!

Home depot should have a correct size bit I would think, definitely get a strong one that is made for drilling metals

And a dual 6 wrap should be OK? 0.5 ohms is a good target right? Low but not super low for a first time builder?

I had trouble finding really small brad nails at HD so I thought maybe they wouldn't carry something that small.

That mesh thing could be it. I torched one but then just hit the other with a lighter.
Do you just roll the mesh as thin as you can and kind of thread it through the coils? I wasn't sure if I was getting enough inside or if it doesn't matter much.

Thats all I did just rolled it up around a paper clip a few times and then stuck it inside my coil. It was a little loose at first but after some dabs it seems to stay put. However when I re-do it I will probably do a few more wraps of the mesh so it is tighter inside the coil.

And a dual 6 wrap should be OK? 0.5 ohms is a good target right? Low but not super low for a first time builder?

I had trouble finding really small brad nails at HD so I thought maybe they wouldn't carry something that small.

That should be fine yeah. My current build is a twisted 28g 6 wrap dual coil on a 5/64th bit I believe. Since you have post hole issues I wouldn't go for the twisted just yet I only did it because I did not have 24g wire yet haha.

When you start venturing into 0.3 and under is when you need to be more careful I think. As far as battery quality and safety etc.

Latest posts

Latest posts