What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Portable Dabs

@Grow Tech -- if you are reading this, I cannot respond to your visitor message either. I did post a link to the forum where this info is all coming from though a little bit earlier in the thread. Otherwise, take a look at what flatslabs just made and that is the so called Stovetop/Diamondback coil inside ReadyXWick.

flatslabs

There is a ton of info in that other thread, but I haven't had time to go through it all, certainly a lot of testing data in there that is valuable.

Most of what I posted here other than the stovetop coil design is just based on my own experience and own personal quest to find the best portable hit over the past couple years.

@GrowTech - If you have any questions, I would be happy to try to answer them for you.

@boutdablife: Careful with the readywick, I would almost suggest you practice wrapping normal coils first to get some technique down and you dont want to waste the stuff. It seems very fragile stuff (at least the 2mm stuff I got is). The instructions say cut at a 45 degree angle to prevent fraying but I am still having some issue with it, and the first coil I ended up ripping a small tear in the ceramic when smearing a dab on. I am still using 24 gauge wire in mine as thats all I have handy other than small strips which are unlabeled.

The second version I made seems to be much more sturdy, I gave it a few more wraps and made the ceramic wick extend almost all the way to where the coil screws into the posts, so the fraying happens in parts of the coil that aren't usable surfaces.

And for reference, my old dual coil 8 wrap 24 awg setup was .24 ohms.
The new single stove coil I wrapped is .74 ohms (not the one in the photo)

Last edited:
I plan on test wrapping all kinds of coils today. I do think I am going to start with the original style coils first (macros? -- whatever you call them) before I venture into the RXW but I really want to get this thing moving forward in a working manner.

if I wrap up a dual micro/macro coil build -- do you HAVE to use a wicking material? I don't really want to put SS mesh in there if I don't have to...

flatslabs

There are wickless coils too, you dont really need it I guess if you just want to test it out. Do you have an aversion to using the mesh?

Honestly im not too sure about the readyxwick. Yeah I can make a cool spiral coil and it has little impact on the flavor and it cleans itself... But I am not going to be able to afford to make a new coil every day.

I keep ripping holes in the wick, exposing the coil inside, when smearing dabs on and ive got all kinds of fraying and ceramic fibers stuck to my dabbing tool and inside of the atomizer.

There are wickless coils too, you dont really need it I guess if you just want to test it out. Do you have an aversion to using the mesh?

Honestly im not too sure about the readyxwick. Yeah I can make a cool spiral coil and it has little impact on the flavor and it cleans itself... But I am not going to be able to afford to make a new coil every day.

I keep ripping holes in the wick, exposing the coil inside, when smearing dabs on and ive got all kinds of fraying and ceramic fibers stuck to my dabbing tool and inside of the atomizer.

I mean yeah I realize I can just go for it with "naked" coils but wasn't sure if it would be less effective and just burn it, or drip through, etc. I only have a small aversion to using the mesh and that is trying to avoid anything that will alter flavor. I have read people using the SS mesh and getting that metal flavor... but they could also be doing it wrong/burning dry/etc. who's to say? I will probably try wick less and with SS mesh here shortly...

question -- do any of you actually use these mech mods for their intended purpose? (juice? 0mg?)

kinda sad to hear about the RXW issues but I have read other similar things from fuckcombustion. I am sure it is a very delicate dance to make it work perfectly.

I am still on the hunt for the best solution for concentrates....

oh yeah... I also read that someone was trying to build a RXW diamondback and before putting anything on it gave it some dry fires and it apparently caught fire?! wtf....

just been messing around with different style coils. haven't used any wicking yet just been doing my own variations of wickless.

FWIPDQJ.jpg

I will say, that so far, I am underwhelmed. However I know there is a lot more testing until I find the right setup. I don't know what the optimal Ohm's are for heating up our concentrates properly but I have tried quite a few so far from 1.8-0.8 and still eh about it. I regularly use an eNail and I guess I am used to large dabs lol, not to mention perfect temp and flavor. So having said that, this mech mod pen leaves something to be desired for me still.

I plan to keep messing around with it and continually building new coils hopefully one of these times I will "hit the nail" with a specific build.. haha

flatslabs

I will say, that so far, I am underwhelmed. However I know there is a lot more testing until I find the right setup. I don't know what the optimal Ohm's are for heating up our concentrates properly but I have tried quite a few so far from 1.8-0.8 and still eh about it. I regularly use an eNail and I guess I am used to large dabs lol, not to mention perfect temp and flavor. So having said that, this mech mod pen leaves something to be desired for me still.

You need to go lower. I use an e-nail at home too, unless im on the couch. The latest diamondback one I twisted up was something like .42 ohms. Some of the dual regular coil ones are down in the .3x's Also, what gauge wire are you using? I am using 24 gauge which looks thicker than the pic you posted

Anything above 1 ohm is going to back in mini-pen territory. Also, the way you pulse your button affects your hit too. I usually start inhaling, fire for 2 seconds, release , and do that 2 - 3 times.

I haven't tried wickless stuff myself, but I have to imagine its not going to work as good as your concentrates are dripping off the coil as soon as you apply heat, they need something to grab onto. And about the metal taste with the stainless wick, just torch the crap out of it before you use it. Once you get it seasoned you shouldnt get any metal flavor unless you completely burn it dry, which you shouldnt really be doing on a regular basis anyways.

Attachments

• coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I had a feeling I needed to go lower, because it was taking a bit longer than anticipated to get going.. I have been progressively going lower in Ohms. I am in the process of wrapping up a lower ohm dual coil now. It is a "twisted 28g" then wrapped 6 times on a 5/32nd bit (i think?) clocking in at 0.48 Ohms

32Yg2Ws.jpg

You are right I am using 28g right now, but have a spool of 24g that should be here Monday. I think it should be a bit better.

I have been messing with the hitting method also -- I am doing something similar to what you described with beginning inhale, hold for 2 sec, release, 2 sec, release, finish. I find that if you keep pulsing, or hold it, that you start burning. I have also had a kind of eh flavor once or twice from pulling too long and burning it and tasting some metal type flavor (kanthal?) Probably due to not having any wicking.

I haven't had an issue with it dripping off right away yet... rather it just vaporizes right away and I haven't had any residuals on the deck, only in the lid from a bit of popping I assume. The stovetop I pictured earlier did well at holding the dab and letting it settle into the coils without falling through.

I am going to try some stainless mesh wick and see what happens...but if i've already had a bit of flavor without it.. I don't know what to expect with it heh.

4XD2COH.jpg

so it's pretty effective for a single-hit solution. these twisted coils provided a much better flavor and did not give me the burnt taste that the stovetop was giving me. I think that is due to the stovetop being very primitive and probably had hot spots all over it since it was sloppy and uneven -- they are impossible to get perfect by hand lol.

with the above picture and the 2 on, release, 2 on, release method it was fully vaporized and provided a pretty stout rip with nothing left on the deck or coils. the flavor was better I believe due to more surface area of coils for it to touch and vaporize more evenly. I will say my most enjoyable build yet.

Nice mingmen! Go ahead and start practicing wrapping your coils so you can test them as soon as the meter comes in!

I also just wanted to add that I torched some high quality stainless mesh screen I had sitting around (extraction screens) and rolled them up and stuffed them inside the two coils I have pictured above -- and it was a step forward I think. I do not get any weird metal flavor and it may of even helped burn more evenly. I can load it up and rip away (2 on, release, 2 on, release, 2 on, release) and get 1 nice hit. At that point everything has been vaporized and there is nothing left anywhere that I can see. I think the SS mesh also might have helped from keeping the concentrate from "popping" or whatever and getting all over my lid... seems to have decreased since adding the mesh.

I will honestly say I was VERY surprised after adding the mesh the flavor I got... it was incredible... best flavor from a pen I have ever had. Felt like I just hit my eNail in the 600F's! I am retracting my previous statement that I was underwhelmed, I just had really shitty coil builds up until now.

This is going to be an awesome device for on the go, traveling, day trips, etc. I will say it is a bit "fiddly" but depending what you are looking for, totally worth it. Probably easier to load than any of the micro pens out there -- just wipe a little dab on each coil and your good! No extras left in the atomizer, on the deck, nowhere. It seems to be keeping itself pretty clean... where as the micro pens get gunned up boiled over and a huge mess within like 1-2 hits. However, I do have to load this device every single time, It is truly a "one hitter" just like you were to take "one dab" from your rig/nail... I think i'm sold.

mingmen

Yeah my mesh arrived and it seems like it would work good. I was picturing something totally different. Same with the whole unit - it looks giant from the pics you all post but it is more manageable than I thought

Yeah my mesh arrived and it seems like it would work good. I was picturing something totally different. Same with the whole unit - it looks giant from the pics you all post but it is more manageable than I thought

I had very similar thoughts at first. When my device arrived I was shocked at how small the atomizer and everything was!

mingmen

So working with the coils - all my adjustments will be in the number of wraps? Or is there some other factors dictating the ohm meter readout?

So working with the coils - all my adjustments will be in the number of wraps? Or is there some other factors dictating the ohm meter readout?

Well, its not quite that simple. It has to do with wire gauge, wraps, style of wrap, diameter of coil wrap, how many coils, etc.

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

check that out its a nice calculator so you can have an idea on what to make if you are shooting for a specific Ohm reading.

a few basic's that may help

thicker wire - lower Ohm for same amount of wraps

number of wraps - usually around 5-7 but that can vary depending on style of coil

style of wrap - the current trend is to make tight touching coils because they heat more evenly, from the center out, and don't create hot spots. not to say it HAS to be that way.

diameter of coil - less diameter = more wraps for same Ohms. more wraps = more surface area for more even vaporization.

how many coils - dual coils automatically cuts your Ohm's in half. so if you want a 0.5 Ohm build, you need to make two 1.0 Ohm coils.

flatslabs

Boutdablife: glad you got sorted out and are liking it, I was worried I had steered you guys in the wrong direction at first.

Anyways, dont wait on your ohm reader if you wanna get dabbin, Just use the calculator and make a safe coil. As long as its not shorted out you are good to go. 8 Wraps with 24 A1 is pretty good around a 2mm post

mingmen

a few basic's that may help

thicker wire - lower Ohm for same amount of wraps

number of wraps - usually around 5-7 but that can vary depending on style of coil

style of wrap - the current trend is to make tight touching coils because they heat more evenly, from the center out, and don't create hot spots. not to say it HAS to be that way.

diameter of coil - less diameter = more wraps for same Ohms. more wraps = more surface area for more even vaporization.

how many coils - dual coils automatically cuts your Ohm's in half. so if you want a 0.5 Ohm build, you need to make two 1.0 Ohm coils.

I am using 24 ga and just try to model flatslabs specs wrapping the little screwdriver. I wonder if I can can make it as close and use it or should just wait to be able to test it with the ohm meter

Latest posts

Latest posts