What's new

plants in ppk's

Miraculous Meds

this is great, i am starting a 4 site smallish PPK system, and i live in Argentina, where stuff is hard to come by

but i have PLENTY of 50-50 perlite-coco i can use if the GH cocotek coco would work ok

i remember you were using a more fibrous coco when you were doing 80% perlite 20% coco.... is that still the case in your 50-50 mix?

do you know anyone growing in PPKs using perlite and the more coffee ground type of coco (like cocotek) - i am growing in hempies, and i don't see the perlite reservoir in the bottom of the hempy getting clogged with migrating coco, so a tailpiece probably wouldn't either.

I'd give this advice with that coir blend. If ur using the wider shallower pots, I'd use more perlite. I wasn't able to water as often as I'd like to have with it.

gmanwho

Veteran
mr blah.... what mckush said

Its not convenient for me to do it so i often dont since getting hot rodi for me is not easy

i have no water heater either for RO.

heat it up in the microwave. i have a few small microwaves throughout. cheap, sometimes free. been using food take out tall quart containers. 2 mins for a quart is enough to heat

bsafe

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
delta thanks again for the instructions.

one question, atleast at this point. Agsil 16 , when should it be added? im thinking because of the potassium it should be added before the calnit correct?

so my current rez situation is.... i fill the top off rez with ro water an take out 7-10 gals , 2 5gal buckets or 2 3.5 gal buckets an place them outside the rez. i mix the jacks in a quart container of heated water. let dilute, then add that to one of the 3.5 or 5 gal buckets.
add that to the top off rez.

i put a small 300-400gph submersible pump at bottom of rez. turn it on, an then add the diluted bucket of jacks. i then do the same with the cal nit, adding the prediluted bucket of calnit into the swirling top off rez. maybe 1/4 of the cal nit bucket at a time.

the submersible pump also circulates every 4 hrs for 15 mins when a different timer from a clone flood table cycles.

so when theres say 10-20 gal left in the top off rez. an im heading out, an need to topoff, whats the best way to addback?

currently im feeding 850ppm into some 15-20 day flower, but i know im gonna need to start raising ppm soon. i already see some middle/lower yellowing on some. or i start pk boosting at an additional 100ppm.

whats the best way to increase the ppm when you've already made a top off rez?? say jumping from 800-850 to 1000? similar way i diluted in larger buckets an then swirl in ??

my larger room is drinking 15-20 gal a day!!!!!!!!! a 100 gal top of rez doesnt last so long at this point in their cycle. i thought i had a leak the other day when i checked levels.... nope, they drank it. 4 days 75gallons almost gone from rez!

bsafe

my friends here that are using agsil add it after mixing both the jack's and the calcinit then ph the whole thing down at once. they don't have any problems and have been doing this way for a long time so i guess it's ok.

i usually only mix whole drums but i think the safest way to top off a tank would be to mix in a separate container and then adding it but i have just added the dry jack's and calcinit to an existing tank of nutrients stirring it in each time. i think if you do small corrections and keep everything as dilute as possible it's safe enough.

in a 12 plant flowering room i'll go through a 55 gal drum about every day and a half. i usually wait to make feed changes until the drum is empty.

the elevated feed/mixing tank only very slowly has an impact on the working part of the solution. i don't like to do sudden changes. i use the feed/mixing tank to "steer" the working part in the direction i want it to go.

i hope this answers your questions.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
this is great, i am starting a 4 site smallish PPK system, and i live in Argentina, where stuff is hard to come by

but i have PLENTY of 50-50 perlite-coco i can use if the GH cocotek coco would work ok

i remember you were using a more fibrous coco when you were doing 80% perlite 20% coco.... is that still the case in your 50-50 mix?

do you know anyone growing in PPKs using perlite and the more coffee ground type of coco (like cocotek) - i am growing in hempies, and i don't see the perlite reservoir in the bottom of the hempy getting clogged with migrating coco, so a tailpiece probably wouldn't either.

argentina! wow! i think you are the first from there that i know of. thank you for trying this!

i'm using the same coco in the new mix. it is the "roots organic cocopeat" loose fill. it has some longer fibers in it but not a whole lot. overall it's pretty fine textured.

we are still filling the "tailpiece" with 100% chunky perlite, making a little mound over the entrance to the tailpiece, putting a piece of fiberglass screen over all of that, and then filling the rest of the container with the 50/50 coco/perlite mix. no clogs.

later

Ravenboy

argentina! wow! i think you are the first from there that i know of. thank you for trying this!

i'm using the same coco in the new mix. it is the "roots organic cocopeat" loose fill. it has some longer fibers in it but not a whole lot. overall it's pretty fine textured.

we are still filling the "tailpiece" with 100% chunky perlite, making a little mound over the entrance to the tailpiece, putting a piece of fiberglass screen over all of that, and then filling the rest of the container with the 50/50 coco/perlite mix. no clogs.

later

fantastic news. I have cocotek, and i also have a new bale of Botanicare, its screened 1/2 inch fibers. but i will use my used coco/perlite up first.... less processing.

cant to get good chunky perlite here, but we have one brand that is a mix, chunky and finer, ill screen some for the tailpieces.

i saw somewhere you mentioned that you are using 1.5" tailpieces for 3 gallons, 3" for 7. is there any issue using a larger tailpiece on a smaller medium 'dish'> for example, a 3" tailpiece on 3 gallon medium container - would to wick too much moisture into the coco?

it makes sense to have the tailpiece be 100% perlite so any coco in it doesn't slowly migrate down to the screen.

yes argentina. not much is imported here and what is , is marked up due to scarcity and import duty( 50%). almost everything I use, except for ph down (diluted battery acid) perlite and pots come from the USA, i go between grows to restock. thats one of the reasons i like jacks, no water - lighter suitcase, more other stuff

oh, i bought my tents here, argentine made and very nice but 3x the price of usa tents

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
mr blah.... what mckush said

i have no water heater either for RO.

heat it up in the microwave. i have a few small microwaves throughout. cheap, sometimes free. been using food take out tall quart containers. 2 mins for a quart is enough to heat

bsafe

Right on G! I do have an old microwave in the garage too that i could use if i can find the space for it. Im about to reorg this area soon when i install a mini and finally seal her up. I want to also see if i can accommodate a small fridge/freezer for drinks, storing seeds and chilling rosin to make it easier to collect.

Since i switched to dry mixing and no longer drain the dehumi into the bulk res i havent had any precipitation events. I think those two things were causing it.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hiya Birdman - my favorite show back in the early 80s was Senorita Maestra. What a babe.

Ravenboy

Hiya Birdman - my favorite show back in the early 80s was Senorita Maestra. What a babe.

i moved here three years ago.... retired, and i probably won't live here forever, inflation has been crazy...

File:Cristina_Lemercier2_(Destino_de_un_capricho_-_1972).jpg

Joormom

So these are some "Shark Shock" in the "Old PPK" style that you first introduced us to Delta, I hand water them though, I don't have no fancy automation as of yet, we have July 22 as Day 1, with some weekly progress pics. my pictures don't do these guys justice, these girls are now over 6 feet tall in the room now, and extremely healthy looking. Thanks Delta.
1Hqx2

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
So these are some "Shark Shock" in the "Old PPK" style that you first introduced us to Delta, I hand water them though, I don't have no fancy automation as of yet, we have July 22 as Day 1, with some weekly progress pics. my pictures don't do these guys justice, these girls are now over 6 feet tall in the room now, and extremely healthy looking. Thanks Delta.View Image

you're welcome, buddy! nice looking plants! very healthy!

HL45

Veteran
I hope everyone remembers 9 22 2016 save the date!!!

The 7 year anniversary of the PPK!!

To think back then all D9 was trying to grow a measly 10 oz plant...now hes probably pulling down mulit pounders..:peacock:

I remember stumbling across the original ppk thread while looking for people using jacks. What a great find!

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
yeow! that went fast.. high, highlife:tiphat: whats going to happen?
EDIT: I'm in, as long as it isn't cold (<60*F any time during the day.

av8or

Alright baby birds, I know you're all wondering what tomfoolery I'm up to. Well, here it is. Gorilla growing when it's legal doesn't have to be boring. Couldn't get to this spot because of some impassable cliffs so we figured we'd just float them bitches on down the river. Mission accomplished. In two rafts, my buddy and I took four plants, 40 gallons of promix, nutes, a bucket, pick axe, two shovels and, of course, my giant fat ass.

I've upgraded from the rubber raft plant transport....hahahaha man I love Oregon

Attachments

• 46506.jpg
    46506.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 10

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I was wondering how you and your outdoor run was going.. upgraded raft, nice! what next a barge for export?? I'd buy in OR, lived in Spokane for a year in the late 90s but that neck of the woods (great NW) has the plague! snow and ice! but it is nice in the summer. I used to ride my bike in the winter as long as there was no ice on the roads, now cant even get on it unless its over 70*F and the sun is out.. Hey! wait a minute.. you're not stoned-trout resurfacing in OR are you (HAHAHA!) Hi trout.

Latest posts

Latest posts