What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

plants in ppk's

420ish

here is my latest plant in a ppk.7 weeks along out of 9.
purple og 18.
the other pic is a i think gg4 on week 6.each has it's own 200 watt light
lit with a homemade cxb 3590 3500k 200 watt light.

C.O.B.

Just wanted to say thank you to D9 for the invention, as well ask all of those who have helped along in my Ppk journey. Sometimes virtually holding my hand. Took me a while to garner the courage to upload a picture. I figured I owe it to the Ppk community

album.php

Well, guess it wasn't meant to be.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Just wanted to say thank you to D9 for the invention, as well ask all of those who have helped along in my Ppk journey. Sometimes virtually holding my hand. Took me a while to garner the courage to upload a picture. I figured I owe it to the Ppk community

View Image

Well, guess it wasn't meant to be.
every thing in the pic is growing and will produce, this statement makes me think youre givin up.. no,no,no:tiphat:

C.O.B.

every thing in the pic is growing and will produce, this statement makes me think youre givin up.. no,no,no:tiphat:

Nah Snook, my "wasn't meant to be" post was due to the fact thatI couldn't post the pic in the original message. Still didn't actually post the picture but a link instead.

Speed of green

What up guys, i decided to evolve from the stone age (hempy) and built a little PPK setup for my mom and I to play with.

The system i built is based on D9's latest build.

7 Gal tuff stuff tubs
The tail pieces are 3" pvc with tom-kap fittings and 3" grated covers
5 gal buckets underneath the tuff pots
5 gal satellite buckets
27 gal volume and control totes
The pumps are mag drive 180gph
the halo's are 1/2" tubing

The medium is turface MVP cut with the largest perlite i could find. %50 by volume.

The tailpiece is filled with the chunky perlite alone.
The perlite and turface were rinsed thoroughly.

The air gap is set to 4" via the float valve, my floor is almost perfectly level so all plant sites are within 1/8" of each other.

The pumps fire for 15 seconds every 90min delivering slightly over two quarts.

I made this without having in-depth knowledge of how this system works , i have a basic understanding of the system and everything seems to be functioning properly however the plants have been in this setup for nearly a week and they are showing signs of overwatering (slight droop on upper parts of the plants).

I would like some help tuning the setup, adjusting the air gap and or the watering duration/ frequency.

To start off i changed the air gap to 4-1/2" from 4" and reduced the watering duration to 10 sec/90min.

Also i am pretty sure the short cycle timer i bought is a complete piece of shit, It is an autopilot with two knobs for ON and OFF time and it is inaccurate. Can anyone recommend a quality unit, possibly digital that doesn't break the bank?

Im not sure on the terminology of this system so please forgive any mislabeling.

The perlite i bought is really large, is it too large?

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
What up guys, i decided to evolve from the stone age (hempy) and built a little PPK setup for my mom and I to play with.

The system i built is based on D9's latest build.

7 Gal tuff stuff tubs
The tail pieces are 3" pvc with tom-kap fittings and 3" grated covers
5 gal buckets underneath the tuff pots
5 gal satellite buckets
27 gal volume and control totes
The pumps are mag drive 180gph
the halo's are 1/2" tubing

The medium is turface MVP cut with the largest perlite i could find. %50 by volume.

The tailpiece is filled with the chunky perlite alone.
The perlite and turface were rinsed thoroughly.

The air gap is set to 4" via the float valve, my floor is almost perfectly level so all plant sites are within 1/8" of each other.

The pumps fire for 15 seconds every 90min delivering slightly over two quarts.

I made this without having in-depth knowledge of how this system works , i have a basic understanding of the system and everything seems to be functioning properly however the plants have been in this setup for nearly a week and they are showing signs of overwatering (slight droop on upper parts of the plants).

I would like some help tuning the setup, adjusting the air gap and or the watering duration/ frequency.

To start off i changed the air gap to 4-1/2" from 4" and reduced the watering duration to 10 sec/90min.

Also i am pretty sure the short cycle timer i bought is a complete piece of shit, It is an autopilot with two knobs for ON and OFF time and it is inaccurate. Can anyone recommend a quality unit, possibly digital that doesn't break the bank?

Im not sure on the terminology of this system so please forgive any mislabeling.

The perlite i bought is really large, is it too large?

View Image View Image View Image

first, for a great timer i suggest; "blueprint" model bdct-1.

the perlite is too large. especially for the tailpiece as it will greatly reduce capillary rise.

http://www.perlite.com/Perlite Brochure.pdf

go to pg 2 and look at the actual size pics. the largest they show here is the exact stuff i use.

the middle grade is what i use for cloning.

also, you do not have enough medium in those containers. they are only 6" tall so to hold 7 gals they have to be absolutely full. i run mine about 1/2" to 3/4" of an inch down from the rim and get about 5.5 gals.

i think your wilt is due to way too much air filled porosity in the medium plus lack of adequate capillary rise in the tailpiece. did you do a test?
i would re-do the medium rather than struggle with these issues all through a grow.

once you get the medium straightened out begin watering for volume not time. you want about a quart or liter every 90 mins if your environmental parameters are close to correct.

editing to say that i like the plumbing. it's so simple yet efficient! and, do you have lids on the buckets under the plant containers? some of them look off center.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
hey where can i find a link or page number to d9's latest build? im rebuilding an old system and i wanna make the upgrades

Speed of green

first, for a great timer i suggest; "blueprint" model bdct-1.

the perlite is too large. especially for the tailpiece as it will greatly reduce capillary rise.

http://www.perlite.com/Perlite Brochure.pdf

go to pg 2 and look at the actual size pics. the largest they show here is the exact stuff i use.

the middle grade is what i use for cloning.

also, you do not have enough medium in those containers. they are only 6" tall so to hold 7 gals they have to be absolutely full. i run mine about 1/2" to 3/4" of an inch down from the rim and get about 5.5 gals.

i think your wilt is due to way too much air filled porosity in the medium plus lack of adequate capillary rise in the tailpiece. did you do a test?
i would re-do the medium rather than struggle with these issues all through a grow.

once you get the medium straightened out begin watering for volume not time. you want about a quart or liter every 90 mins if your environmental parameters are close to correct.

editing to say that i like the plumbing. it's so simple yet efficient! and, do you have lids on the buckets under the plant containers? some of them look off center.

Thanks for getting back to me, i really appreciate the help.

I ordered a new digital timer, should be here soon.

i will toss this medium and re-do it, i have Aztec brand coarse perlite, it is very similar in size to yours.

I do not know what test you are referring to or how to perform it.

The buckets underneath the plant containers do have lids, i cut the holes for the tailpieces by hand though and not all of them came out perfectly on center, good eye!

the plumbing and system was very easy to build, it took me about three hours by myself to assemble it. Thanks for pioneering this and sharing with everyone, having the detailed pictures and blueprint make it possible for anyone to build.

I will time the pump for a quart every 90 seconds.

do you think after i change the medium i should put the float back to 4" or leave it at 4-1/2"

420ish

d9 have to ask why only a quart every 90 minutes?i am finally doing full floods now and it is looking great!numbers have been low but that has been due to finishing the room while growing in it.just got my mini split running a week ago and today got my co2 gen going.hopefully the next plant (three weeks to go)will do better then the 7 oz i been getting.7 oz from 200 watt cob not bad but was getting 10 or 11 before the move.

C.O.B.

link below
Thanks for getting back to me, i really appreciate the help.

I ordered a new digital timer, should be here soon.

i will toss this medium and re-do it, i have Aztec brand coarse perlite, it is very similar in size to yours.

I do not know what test you are referring to or how to perform it.

The buckets underneath the plant containers do have lids, i cut the holes for the tailpieces by hand though and not all of them came out perfectly on center, good eye!

the plumbing and system was very easy to build, it took me about three hours by myself to assemble it. Thanks for pioneering this and sharing with everyone, having the detailed pictures and blueprint make it possible for anyone to build.

I will time the pump for a quart every 90 seconds.

do you think after i change the medium i should put the float back to 4" or leave it at 4-1/2"

Capillary rise test
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7006334&postcount=232
Air filled porosity test
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6958966&postcount=179
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6958974&postcount=731

420, I think The quart per 90 minutes is for the wave pulse. Iirc the full flood is a different beast. HTH

Peace.

Oysters

Ready Soon?

Ready Soon?

Only 3rd grow, so I don't know much. This is single plant in a 7 gal. tub under a 6 cxb3590 3500k light I built in 2015 in a 3x3x6 tent using jacks and calcinit. 1st grow in 2015 was an auto, so no real decisions to make other than when the leaves started to crumble, it seemed like it was time to chop. 2nd grow in 2016 was 2 different plants in the same tub. Thought one of them was dead, planted a second and then I was too ignorant to pull one out when I still had the time. Pretty sure I didn't do justice to either one in deciding when they got chopped.

So now #3. This run the lights have been on full blast - 580 watts at the wall plate, 20" from the canopy - and I had to run the res at 850-900ppm to keep the grow tub anywhere close to 600 during the peak growth period. Thanks to the inspiration from the ultra-glow lighting d9's been using in his wicked ways, I kept uping the amps and feed and the plant seemed to be happy for it. Feeding has now slowed and it's at 8 plus weeks of flower.

Looks to me like it's getting close, but perhaps hold off on the cigars for a while more. Appreciate any advice on this. I'd like 3rd time to be the charm.

Speed of green

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73079&pictureid=1741728&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73079&pictureid=1741729&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73079&pictureid=1741730&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Only 3rd grow, so I don't know much. This is single plant in a 7 gal. tub under a 6 cxb3590 3500k light I built in 2015 in a 3x3x6 tent using jacks and calcinit. 1st grow in 2015 was an auto, so no real decisions to make other than when the leaves started to crumble, it seemed like it was time to chop. 2nd grow in 2016 was 2 different plants in the same tub. Thought one of them was dead, planted a second and then I was too ignorant to pull one out when I still had the time. Pretty sure I didn't do justice to either one in deciding when they got chopped.

So now #3. This run the lights have been on full blast - 580 watts at the wall plate, 20" from the canopy - and I had to run the res at 850-900ppm to keep the grow tub anywhere close to 600 during the peak growth period. Thanks to the inspiration from the ultra-glow lighting d9's been using in his wicked ways, I kept uping the amps and feed and the plant seemed to be happy for it. Feeding has now slowed and it's at 8 plus weeks of flower.

Looks to me like it's getting close, but perhaps hold off on the cigars for a while more. Appreciate any advice on this. I'd like 3rd time to be the charm.

looks like its still shooting new pistils, id probably let it go a few more weeks. a microscope is what you really need to check the trichs.

Chopping early is a chronic habit of mine, resist the urge, when you think its ready - give it another week.

420ish

here is my latest plants in ppk.
2 gg4 same age and about same size when put in flower room.one has had 2 200 watt cxb3590 led lights in front of it.driven at half power for three weeks and full power for about 5 weeks.
the other has had 1 200 watt cxb 3590 light in front of it full power the entire time.the one by the blue barrel is the single light
the two light plant looks a little farther along and bigger but not double the power bigger.will be amazed if the two light plant gets 2 more ounces then the single light plant.guessing 10 to 14 ounces per plant.